cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Nor Cal 1999 Vintage Classified Bordeaux tasting

Here's the plan:
We (Myself and/or Neil) will be picking up 4-5 bottles of 2nd Cru level Bordeaux from a mix of both banks from the 1999 vintage.

Currently on Slated to be opened:
1) 1999 Pichon Longueville Baron, Pauillac
2) 1999 La Conseillante, Pomerol
3) 1999 Pavie Macquin, St. Emilion
4) 1999 Leoville Barton, Saint-Julien

On 6/1, in the afternoon (time TBD) we will all meet at Neil's place in Sonoma. The wines will be opened and decanted. I will have researched the history of both the vintage and the selected chateaus and will share with everyone. We will taste as the bottles open and as a simple meal (with non-steak options included) is prepared and enjoyed. We'll compare notes the whole way.

Firm commitment date has already passed.

The previous thread is here: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5344340

In (as in committed to $80-100 per person unless we move the date):
1) CMaldoon
2) NeilFindsWine
3) AJRod27
4) BrightGreen (Cmaldoon+1)
5) Bsevern
6) CAGirl
6b) CaGirl+1
7) Trifecta
7b) Trifecta+1

Pretty much too late unless you come up with a really sweet plan:
1) RJQuillin
2) Klezman
3) Tytiger58

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:Interested (Still figuring it out)
1) RJQuillin

Guilty.
wondering if any of the LA crowd would be interested in a carpool up?

CT

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

Oh I'd like to go if possible. I'll talk to the wife and gauge her interest. I'm in the bay area's peninsula.

cmaldoon

To Move things along a bit, I purchased:

1999 Chateau Pavie Macquin St. Emilion 750ml

Subtotal $69.98
Tax $6.30
Shipping $11.22

Total $87.50

From a Reputable dealer with 20 bottles in LA

My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

That sounds reasonable...pass along the info?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

klezman wrote:That sounds reasonable...pass along the info?

Done.

I also have a line on 1999 Chateau Montrose recently from the chateau but that would be $100/bottle + tax + shipping totaling to ~$125

My Cellar

klezman

cmaldoon wrote:Done.

I also have a line on 1999 Chateau Montrose recently from the chateau but that would be $100/bottle + tax + shipping totaling to ~$125

Got it...thanks.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:To Move things along a bit, I purchased:

1999 Chateau Pavie Macquin St. Emilion 750ml

Subtotal $69.98
Tax $6.30
Shipping $11.22

Total $87.50

From a Reputable dealer with 20 bottles in LA

Just picked up a 99 Pichon Baron from a reputable shop- $84.95 plus tax= $91.45

It has begun.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cmaldoon

neilfindswine wrote:Just picked up a 99 Pichon Baron from a reputable shop- $84.95 plus tax= $91.45

It has begun.

Ill wait on the Montrose given it is local and they have 2 cases.

If anyone has a line on one more right bank wine we have enough wine for 6

My Cellar

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:Ill wait on the Montrose given it is local and they have 2 cases.

If anyone has a line on one more right bank wine we have enough wine for 6

Ideally, the 2nd right bank would be from Pomerol.

EDIT: I'm seeing 1999 Chateau La Conseillante for a decent price.. I may pounce on it sooner than later.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Cmaldoon - Please update the title of this thread to NorCal #17. Thanks.

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:Cmaldoon - Please update the title of this thread to NorCal #17. Thanks.

Done!

My Cellar

cmaldoon

There is a 1999 troplong-mondot ( 2 actually) on wine bid for $45. May be worth taking a flyer on for this.

My Cellar

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:There is a 1999 troplong-mondot ( 2 actually) on wine bid for $45. May be worth taking a flyer on for this.

There's also a 99 Leoville Barton that I'm bidding on.. (fingers crossed). And I pulled the trigger on the 1999 La Conseillante . We now have 3 bottles secured.

cmaldoon

It is now time to start pulling hard commits. Please post you're willing and Able to commit $80 To $100 To share dinner and this mix of right and left Bank 1999 Bordeaux. We have six available spots which could open up to nine if we have both takers and are able to find proper bottles. Neil, myself, and my plus one account for three of those spots.

AJRod- Will you please confirm your hard commit?

Everyone else: first to post is first to get in.

My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
cmaldoon wrote:It is now time to start pulling hard commits. Please post you're willing and Able to commit $80 To $100 To share dinner and this mix of right and left Bank 1999 Bordeaux. We have six available spots which could open up to nine if we have both takers and are able to find proper bottles. Neil, myself, and my plus one account for three of those spots.

I believe I was always in the "hard commit" column

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'm in. Hubby will be in for the food only. So no drinking wine.

cmaldoon

Ok, I have updated the first post. We have a quorum for 4 bottles.

If we get 2-3 more people we can find more bottles and add more wines to the list so please respond if you'd like to get in.

9 would be easy, 12 starts getting difficult without getting double bottles.

My Cellar

klezman

12 still allows for 2x 1 oz pours per person with a little left over

While I doubt I'll actually make it, I'm sufficiently interested I'm going to keep considering it. If a seat sale breaks out or I get a hankering to drive a whole bunch then I may decide last minute. You've got me thinking, though, that this would be a great idea to do down in SoCal also.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:12 still allows for 2x 1 oz pours per person with a little left over

While I doubt I'll actually make it, I'm sufficiently interested I'm going to keep considering it. If a seat sale breaks out or I get a hankering to drive a whole bunch then I may decide last minute. You've got me thinking, though, that this would be a great idea to do down in SoCal also.

getting my interest now, either for a shared drive or something down here.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
cmaldoon wrote:It is now time to start pulling hard commits. Please post you're willing and Able to commit $80 To $100 To share dinner and this mix of right and left Bank 1999 Bordeaux. We have six available spots which could open up to nine if we have both takers and are able to find proper bottles. Neil, myself, and my plus one account for three of those spots.

Confirming my confirmation.

How many bottles do we have so far?

cmaldoon

ajrod27 wrote:Confirming my confirmation.

How many bottles do we have so far?

We have 3 bottles and Neil may have a line on a 4th. I have a line on Montrose for $100 which would fit nicely too

My Cellar

trifecta

No commit here. Schedule is too crazy around that date to put up non refundable cash on it. We might tag along if it works out just for fellowship. In that case we would bring our own food and stay away from your wine, like CAGrl +1.

Neil has a good little spot where a few could hide and do cigars as well, given his permission of course.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

trifecta wrote:No commit here. Schedule is too crazy around that date to put up non refundable cash on it. We might tag along if it works out just for fellowship. In that case we would bring our own food and stay away from your wine, like CAGrl +1.

Neil has a good little spot where a few could hide and do cigars as well, given his permission of course.

Permission most certainly will be granted, but hoping you sort that schedule Mr. Fecta- good Bordeaux bottles and good friends on a summer Sonoma afternoon-should not be missed.

trifecta

neilfindswine wrote:Permission most certainly will be granted, but hoping you sort that schedule Mr. Fecta- good Bordeaux bottles and good friends on a summer Sonoma afternoon-should not be missed.

Agreed. A beautiful Saturday in Sonoma will be awesome. Especially with that great lawn and backyard!

We are definitely going to do our best to make it. The best approach may be for me to procure at least one bottle that fits the theme. If we make it, it can be added to the list. If not, you'll still have the right ratio. We were planning on bringing our own protein and a dish to share anyhow. It would be just me for the Bordeaux tasting as well, as SWMBO isn't into it enough at that price point.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Bordeaux and cigars.... that's like Homer Simpson and chocolate ... Mmmmmmm

CAGrl

So would someone pm me the address of the gathering? Just trying to figure out if we can do another winery stop before. Also, trying to figure out what to do with the dog so knowing how long the event might take would be helpful. Thanks!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

CAGrl wrote:So would someone pm me the address of the gathering? Just trying to figure out if we can do another winery stop before. Also, trying to figure out what to do with the dog so knowing how long the event might take would be helpful. Thanks!

Check your PM

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:So would someone pm me the address of the gathering? Just trying to figure out if we can do another winery stop before. Also, trying to figure out what to do with the dog so knowing how long the event might take would be helpful. Thanks!

I am all for winery tastings in general, but are you sure you want to do anything that could fatigue your palate before this tasting?

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:I am all for winery tastings in general, but are you sure you want to do anything that could fatigue your palate before this tasting?

The only place I was thinking of checking out was Iron Horse. Don't think bubblies would fatigue my palate too much, but maybe I'm wrong. I also hadn't thought of palate fatigue before you mentioned it.

trifecta

trifecta wrote:
We are definitely going to do our best to make it. The best approach may be for me to procure at least one bottle that fits the theme. If we make it, it can be added to the list. If not, you'll still have the right ratio. We were planning on bringing our own protein and a dish to share anyhow. It would be just me for the Bordeaux tasting as well, as SWMBO isn't into it enough at that price point.

What is the current bottle list? I was going to procure a bottle that fits the theme in case we are able to make it. What region(s) should I be trying for?

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

trifecta wrote:What is the current bottle list? I was going to procure a bottle that fits the theme in case we are able to make it. What region(s) should I be trying for?

Currently I have:
99 Pichon Baron
99 La Conseillante, Pomerol

cmaldoon has
99 Chateau Pavie Macquin St. Emilion

So we have the two Right bank wines from Pomerol and St. Emilion, and we have one Left bank wine from Paulliac.

We still need another left bank wine, ideally from a different region. 99 is the vintage we're going for, and we're looking at 2nd growth equivalent, so there's still options in St. Estephe, St. Julian and Margaux.

cmaldoon

Ok, because we should put a cap on when people can sign up, I will set that date for 5/11 (2 Saturdays from now, 3 weeks before the event.) At which point any further adds had better be offering a bottle of '99 2nd growth bordeaux as part of their ticket.

As it stands, we have 6 people which will require 4 bottles. We have 3 and Between Neil and I we will acquire 1 more.

I have my eye on a '99 Chateau Montrose still (St. Estephe) Which can be obtained locally if nothing else jumps out.

Trifecta - Based on that a St. Julian or Margaux might be best to get hold of but I know that you are a fan of Merlots so if you find another right bank, it would work as well.

My Cellar

trifecta

We are much closer to being sure about our attendance. Reserved a campsite for Sat night in case. Should know before the 11th, but will also hunt for a bottle of 99 in case.

trifecta

I'm in.

+1 will not be doing the tasting and we will bring a protein for ourselves.

Staying in Santa Rosa the night previous and Sugarloaf SP the night of. We can have additional folks at the campsite we reserved if folks want to bring their own tent. We are just crashing there, so just the basics of tent and sleeping bags. We looked at places to stay and balked at the cost.

cmaldoon

Ok, Unless someone chimes up before the end of tomorrow, we're locked in.

We now have 7 tasters which puts us at an interesting level. We can either keep to 4 bottles, or we can get 5. I don't know what everyone's tolerances are over the course of 4-5 hours. 4/7ths of a bottle is a bit under 3 standard glasses, and 5/7ths is smack on 4 glasses. Cost is also a factor of course, figuring ~$20/person for dinner and $100 for each of the not yet purchased bottles we are looking at ~$75 per person for 4 wines or ~$89 per person for 5 wines.

Either way we get ~100ml of each wine per person.

Please vote in to indicate your preference. We'll take the majority in a week.

My vote is for 5.

My Cellar

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:Ok, Unless someone chimes up before the end of tomorrow, we're locked in.

We now have 7 tasters which puts us at an interesting level. We can either keep to 4 bottles, or we can get 5. I don't know what everyone's tolerances are over the course of 4-5 hours. 4/7ths of a bottle is a bit under 3 standard glasses, and 5/7ths is smack on 4 glasses. Cost is also a factor of course, figuring ~$20/person for dinner and $100 for each of the not yet purchased bottles we are looking at ~$75 per person for 4 wines or ~$89 per person for 5 wines.

Either way we get ~100ml of each wine per person.

Please vote in to indicate your preference. We'll take the majority in a week.

My vote is for 5.

5 indeed. I think I have a 99 Tom Eddy that I was going to crack just for fun. But he's slightly outside of the Bordeaux area.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

for the 4rth (and/or 5th) bottle, some options are on my radar (please pipe in with any opinions)

99 Leovill Barton, St. Julien $79 + tax
99 Ch. Montrose (soiled label) $78 + tax

Also, I'm bidding on a 99 Gruaud Larose right now for about $70 including tax...

cmaldoon

neilfindswine wrote:for the 4rth (and/or 5th) bottle, some options are on my radar (please pipe in with any opinions)

99 Leovill Barton, St. Julien $79 + tax
99 Ch. Montrose (soiled label) $78 + tax

Also, I'm bidding on a 99 Gruaud Larose right now for about $70 including tax...

I think Montrose would be good but I would rather put up an extra $20 and get the stuff I know is recently from the Chateau. I would love to see leoville Barton!

My Cellar

CAGrl

I hate to do this, but there is a chance that we might have to back out. Hubby got a new job and they're having a function on that Saturday. He is definitely out. I'm trying to see if I have to go, it being a new job and all. Ugh.