$52.99 $̶8̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 36% off List Price
2007 Silver Top Syrah
2008 Preface Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

About the Syrah, did not have the Cab.
It is posted as:

Deep garnet black color. Intricate spicy aromas, dark toasted fruit cake, beeswax, toffee, and peppery spices with a supple, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a tangy, spiced apple, nuts, candied citrus and cherry accented finish.

OK, on an evening where we had about 18 different wines, I did not get many subtleties.
I got a bit of a 'jammyness' out of it, with some spiced, fruity notes which could have been also interpreted as 'candied', sure, but cannot narrow it down to the various candied/nuts/whatsoever details in retrospect.

That being said.
It was a very nice wine, one of my favorite 5 of those 18 tasted (Noceto, Corison, and a few others were above it).

I like the R.Merlo Syrahs and the McClean Syrahs very much and would put this in the same ballpark.
That being said, it is
a) significantly more expensive than before mentioned R.Merlo/McClean Syrahs (which are NOT from Washington).
b) but then I do like Washington Reds in general.

I would recommend to buy it if you never had it before, and especially if you unlocked free shipping already and then give feedback if you like it enough for a 3-pack/6-pack to come back here

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Ill post notes on the '08 tomorrow morning. Stay tuned folks!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

This was the first Syrah I've ever had (aside from Syrah in some red blends) and it was amazing! I didn't take specific notes, but I remember it had a very dark plum color to it and it was well balanced. Until recently I thought I mainly preferred wines on the sweeter side of the spectrum (which I still somewhat do) but I've been beginning to enjoy several dry wines as well. This Page Cellars Syrah has plenty of fruit without being overly sweet. Like I said, it's a delicious and well balanced wine. Unfortunately I can't speak to the Cab Sav since I haven't had it... yet. I'm kind of tempted to go in for one of these. However, it is much more than I usually spend on wine. That's just me though (college student on a budget.)

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2007 Page Cellars Syrah
Its shown here on woot as Silver top, but back label shows it is a Klipsun vineyard designate. To preface (no pun intended), I have been a big fan of this producer ever since I tried them out on woot for the first time. After that I have been hunting them on auction sites and anywhere else I could find them. I now have a pretty decent stable of wines from Page.

PnP: Dark inky purple in color, almost as dark as most petite sirahs. Extremely thick legs. We are talking thirty seconds. Right out of the bottle the nose on this wine is jumping out of the glass with blackberry, dark plum, and dark cherry with a hints of earth/rocks. A friend also noticed some tar and eucalyptus on the nose.

Initially there was no heat/alc on the nose. Fine grain tannin provided good grip on the palate which was predominantly dark cherry. The finish is medium at around 5+ seconds. The only gripe on the PnP was there was a bit of heat on the finish. I really picked up on a punch of boysenberry jam (I just had some last weekend so I remember it well). The palate starts out as dark fruit but transitions to red fruit on the mid palate and finish.

This wine transitioned a bit over time, occasional picking up heat on the nose, but not on the finish followed by no heat on the finish, but on the nose. It was a bit strange and to me pointed to the fact this might need a year or two in the cellar still. Once I sat down with this wine with food (baked chicken and sauteed veggies) it really hit its stride. Medium acidity brought the chicken alive and really rounded out the meal.

Bottom line: This is a well made syrah with a seriously concentrated center of dark plum and dark cherry. Great with food, and has aging potential (if not needed). While not a tannic monster, it definitely resonates the Red Mountain style. The bottle I drank is the only one I had and I need more to round out my vintages of Page.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
trifecta wrote:2007 Page Cellars Syrah
Its shown here on woot as Silver top, but back label shows it is a Klipsun vineyard designate....

http://www.pagecellars.com/2007-silver-top-syrah/
interesting point.
Besides of their silver top and regular black bottles, the Red Mountain seems to be usually red-topped and to be the even more premium variation of Page's Cabernet Sauvignon while the linked 2007 Syrah on Page's website funny enough has the 2006 picture
of a non-'silver top' look compared to the one featured at woot and the one I tried.
The "silver topped" 2006 Syrah at Page's own website designates "Klipsun vineyard" specifically http://www.pagecellars.com/2006-syrah-klipsun-vineyard/

For the 2007 I cannot verify if it says "Klipsun", since the bottle is not here, but it makes sense what you say. They seem to source most of their wine from "red mountain" though.

Again - it is a very good Syrah.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2007 Page Cellars Syrah

PnP the initial taste, the rest was decanted.
Very inky dark color, like Petite Syrah.
The nose was very aromatic, dark cherry, blackberry, eucalyptus, and a component that reminds me of Twizzlers. Very nice nose!

The taste was very similar to the nose, blackberry, eucalyptus, dark fruit, lots of tannins.

The finish was perplexing. At times the alcohol prevailed, yet other times you were left with a nice long finish of blackberry fruit.

Overall I really enjoyed this wine, but I felt it could use a few more years in the bottle to come together, and hopefully the alcohol will lighten up a bit. For the price on this offer this is a solid desk IMHO.

Thanks to trifecta for sharing a bottle, and the excellent meal (which complemented the wine very well).

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2007 Page Cellars Syrah

I had the pleasure of tasting this wine with a few friends tonight. It's a ripe, fairly complex wine with good balance and structure.

Very dark ruby color; almost inky. Initial nose of toasted oak, which mostly blew off within a few minutes of swirling in the glass. Dark fruit nose: plum, dark cherry, sweet spice, a touch of floral; maybe violet. Ripe flavor of plum, anise and other spice. Medium finish of dark cherry and spice. Good acidity with moderate tannin.

The nose and palate gained more body and complexity with additional air time, and a mineral note started coming through.

Overall, I think this is a good wine for the price, with enough complexity to be enjoyable on it's own. Though I had this a la carte, I believe the acidity of this wine would stand up to a variety of foods. Buy this wine if you like complex, medium-full bodied wines that are ripe, but not overly ripe.

If the winery jumps on board; how well do you think this will age?

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

This is really good stuff people! The 2006 Preface is one of my favorite cabs, and the Syrah ain't to shabby either. Well made juice that is good now, but will also age well.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
ajrod27 wrote:If the winery jumps on board; how well do you think this will age?

Given the very high pH, not typically associated with graceful aging, I'm wondering the same.

Can someone with a bottle confirm the pics or perhaps post a back label pic so we really know what this is?

CT

trifecta

rjquillin wrote:Given the very high pH, I'm wondering the same, not typically associated with graceful aging.

Can someone with a bottle confirm the pics or perhaps post a back label pic so we really know what this is?

No pic, but it definitely says Klipsun vineyard on the back of the Syrah.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:No pic, but it definitely says Klipsun vineyard on the back of the Syrah.

So this would then be the 2007 release of the 2006 we got back in May of last year.

CT

pagecellars

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pagecellars
rjquillin wrote:So this would then be the 2007 release of the 2006 we got back in May of last year.

That is correct Just woke up to see what's happening. THis is JIm Page winemaker and dishwasher. Klipsun Vineyard, 100% Syrah, two years in Barrel and two years in bottle before release, single vineyard. 93 points Wine tasting Institue what ever that means!

pagecellars

trifecta wrote:2007 Page Cellars Syrah
Its shown here on woot as Silver top, but back label shows it is a Klipsun vineyard designate. To preface (no pun intended), I have been a big fan of this producer ever since I tried them out on woot for the first time. After that I have been hunting them on auction sites and anywhere else I could find them. I now have a pretty decent stable of wines from Page.

PnP: Dark inky purple in color, almost as dark as most petite sirahs. Extremely thick legs. We are talking thirty seconds. Right out of the bottle the nose on this wine is jumping out of the glass with blackberry, dark plum, and dark cherry with a hints of earth/rocks. A friend also noticed some tar and eucalyptus on the nose.

Initially there was no heat/alc on the nose. Fine grain tannin provided good grip on the palate which was predominantly dark cherry. The finish is medium at around 5+ seconds. The only gripe on the PnP was there was a bit of heat on the finish. I really picked up on a punch of boysenberry jam (I just had some last weekend so I remember it well). The palate starts out as dark fruit but transitions to red fruit on the mid palate and finish.

This wine transitioned a bit over time, occasional picking up heat on the nose, but not on the finish followed by no heat on the finish, but on the nose. It was a bit strange and to me pointed to the fact this might need a year or two in the cellar still. Once I sat down with this wine with food (baked chicken and sauteed veggies) it really hit its stride. Medium acidity brought the chicken alive and really rounded out the meal.

Bottom line: This is a well made syrah with a seriously concentrated center of dark plum and dark cherry. Great with food, and has aging potential (if not needed). While not a tannic monster, it definitely resonates the Red Mountain style. The bottle I drank is the only one I had and I need more to round out my vintages of Page.

Always nice to hear we have connected with a consumer. Thanks for the kind words. Jim

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Just wanted to add to the positive comments.

The Page Cab and Syrah from May, both 2006, were some of the best wines I have bought on this site, bar none. I was literally blown away by the Syrah when I tasted it, and like Trifecta have been scouring the internet looking for more ever since.

Both 2006s were big wines but not oafish with sublime bouquet and rich mouthfeel.

I'm in for the maximum.

Thanks for getting them back Woot!

Is it broke or just fractured?

pagecellars

coolchris160 wrote:This was the first Syrah I've ever had (aside from Syrah in some red blends) and it was amazing! I didn't take specific notes, but I remember it had a very dark plum color to it and it was well balanced. Until recently I thought I mainly preferred wines on the sweeter side of the spectrum (which I still somewhat do) but I've been beginning to enjoy several dry wines as well. This Page Cellars Syrah has plenty of fruit without being overly sweet. Like I said, it's a delicious and well balanced wine. Unfortunately I can't speak to the Cab Sav since I haven't had it... yet. I'm kind of tempted to go in for one of these. However, it is much more than I usually spend on wine. That's just me though (college student on a budget.)

Study hard and you'll be buying alot of quality wines. I am glad you enjoyed the Syrah. Jim

pagecellars

rlmanzo wrote:Just wanted to add to the positive comments.

The Page Cab and Syrah from May, both 2006, were some of the best wines I have bought on this site, bar none. I was literally blown away by the Syrah when I tasted it, and like Trifecta have been scouring the internet looking for more ever since.

Both 2006s were big wines but not oafish with sublime bouquet and rich mouthfeel.

I'm in for the maximum.

Thanks for getting them back Woot!

It was the great response from you and the rest of the Wooters last time around that brought us back. So I thank You. Jim

pagecellars

rjquillin wrote:So this would then be the 2007 release of the 2006 we got back in May of last year.

Ya sure you betch ya! Jim

pagecellars

trifecta wrote:No pic, but it definitely says Klipsun vineyard on the back of the Syrah.

The first Syrah I made from Klipsun was an 01 which we opened recently: lots of life left, also a high PH wine. Washington fruit holds an amazing amount of fruit for a long time. Cheers! Jim

trifecta

pagecellars wrote:The first Syrah I made from Klipsun was an 01 which we opened recently: lots of life left, also a high PH wine. Washington fruit holds an amazing amount of fruit for a long time. Cheers! Jim

Dd you make multiple Syrah's in '01? Just wondering because I recently bought 4 of them at auction and didn't know if they were klipsun.

One of the best bottles of the night at our vintage merlot night last weekend was an Andrew Will Klipsun Merlot. I can second that they hold their fruit very well. That wine was the least bricked and brightest fruit out of everything.

pagecellars

ajrod27 wrote:2007 Page Cellars Syrah

I had the pleasure of tasting this wine with a few friends tonight. It's a ripe, fairly complex wine with good balance and structure.

Very dark ruby color; almost inky. Initial nose of toasted oak, which mostly blew off within a few minutes of swirling in the glass. Dark fruit nose: plum, dark cherry, sweet spice, a touch of floral; maybe violet. Ripe flavor of plum, anise and other spice. Medium finish of dark cherry and spice. Good acidity with moderate tannin.

The nose and palate gained more body and complexity with additional air time, and a mineral note started coming through.

Overall, I think this is a good wine for the price, with enough complexity to be enjoyable on it's own. Though I had this a la carte, I believe the acidity of this wine would stand up to a variety of foods. Buy this wine if you like complex, medium-full bodied wines that are ripe, but not overly ripe.

If the winery jumps on board; how well do you think this will age?

Pull up the spicy food truck and pop the cork on this bad boy. Yes it pairs well with spicy foods. Don'y worry about the aging issue you won't have it that long! 10 years and give us a call we'll tell you how much longer. Cheers! Jim

pagecellars

andreaserben wrote:http://www.pagecellars.com/2007-silver-top-syrah/
interesting point.
Besides of their silver top and regular black bottles, the Red Mountain seems to be usually red-topped and to be the even more premium variation of Page's Cabernet Sauvignon while the linked 2007 Syrah on Page's website funny enough has the 2006 picture
of a non-'silver top' look compared to the one featured at woot and the one I tried.
The "silver topped" 2006 Syrah at Page's own website designates "Klipsun vineyard" specifically http://www.pagecellars.com/2006-syrah-klipsun-vineyard/

For the 2007 I cannot verify if it says "Klipsun", since the bottle is not here, but it makes sense what you say. They seem to source most of their wine from "red mountain" though.

Again - it is a very good Syrah.

Folks the web site is under reconstruction and we have issues at the moment, but working on it. Klipsun fruit, winemakers Style. Cheers! Jim

pagecellars

Working in the flight simulator today, Dash 8-300 so I will check in later. Thank you all!

aspringer23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aspringer23

I got the woot deal last time around and they were very memorable. Was a big hit with the family. Easy buy for me!

pagecellars

aspringer23 wrote:I got the woot deal last time around and they were very memorable. Was a big hit with the family. Easy buy for me!

Thank youfor your purchase. Just a thought. Most of the chatter is about the Syrah, which is great. However, given e choice, Cab from Red Mountain holds its own against anyones. Chers! Jim

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

So, just to make sure everyone is on the same Page;

THIS is the correct CT entry for the Syrah.

EDIT: As Neil clarifies below, they are actually one and the same wine so disregard the above CT entry or consider it as an alternative listing.

chipgreen

pagecellars wrote:Thank youfor your purchase. Just a thought. Most of the chatter is about the Syrah, which is great. However, given e choice, Cab from Red Mountain holds its own against anyones. Chers! Jim

Apparently there was only 1 taste tester on the Cab and he's slacking

pagecellars

JM Davidson Thanks for being numero uno. Cheers! Jim

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
pagecellars wrote:JM Davidson Thanks for being numero uno. Cheers! Jim

I have been waiting for your wine to show up here (again). Thanks for sharing.

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

The duo last year was so good that I joined the Page Cellars wine club. I love Washington State reds (I also belong to Reininger, which I also first experienced on Woot). The Preface drank like a fine Napa Cab. I think anyone who likes say the Meeker Cabs would also enjoy this. I'm probably going to get into trouble with some of the purists here for comparing the Syrah to a different varietal, but it reminded me of some of the big Zins that Turley produces. In sum, if you like big reds, you will love these wines. In for 2, even in the face of a big tax bill due in a few weeks.

kylemittskus

Sorry for my late note on the 2008 Page Cellars Preface Cabernet Sauvignon. I drank a bottle of this Friday night with some friends, sweet potato fries, and blue cheese and bacon salad.

I have heard a lot about Red Mountain, but haven't had a wine from the area until this bottle. My experience with WA wines in general is quite limited. I have focused more on CA and European areas instead of exploring the other big US wine-producing states.

PnP was quite tight, but dark fruits and oak were very present. An hour and a half in the decanter opened the wine up quite a bit. A mix of dark and red fruits and oak were the primary flavors. The oak wasn't like a 2x4 in the wine, but it is clearly present. I'm guessing it's 100% or close to new barrels. Medium bodied. The finish was nice, the tannins are nicely resolved, no alc heat, and the wine went nicely alone. It didn't hold up very well to the steak -- I assumed at the time due to low acid. I did not know anything about the wine prior to drinking it (price, specs, etc. -- I didn't even check the alc. %). I guessed it would be offered at $25-$30, that the acid level was low (i.e.: high pH number), and that the alc. % wasn't above 14.5%. I was right on all counts. I think that the price is good given the style and comparable wines out there.

The other tasters were split in liking or not liking it. My best friend said he would have never guessed it were a cab. I think it's because it isn't a big, over-the-top fruit monster that many associate with CS these days (I like that style and this isn't it). His wife didn't like it, although SWMBO and her best friend and her husband (my other best friend) all enjoyed it. SWMBO guessed a $25 price.

Overall, I think this is a nice wine. For me, though, the issue is that it kind of sits between two styles. Lots of oak, low acid, but not over the top fruit. I like classicly-styled CS and I like fruit bombs. This is really neither.

I have a feeling that I would like the Syrah much more considering the style the CS was made in. In other words, I think that Syrah could handle this style of wine making better than CS, at least for my palate.

I'd likely grab a set, but I am at 2 cases this month plus lots of wines tyger has for me and SWMBO is going to hang me from a tree as it is.

As always, I'm around so if you want to know specifics, just ask.

Edit: I see mrlbem compares this to Meeker. I would disagree based on the acid. Meeker aciduates (and is very open about doing so) whereas, as I said and as the numbers show, the acid in the CS is quite low. Not a good or bad thing, just trying to give some perspective.

chipgreen

Thanks Kyle, nice review! Sounds like your tastes are similar to mine when it comes to Cabs. I don't mind some oak but prefer fruit over oak. Did the oakiness blow off after being in the glass for awhile? I wonder what it will be like in another 5 years....

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
chipgreen wrote:Oh, can someone fix the Woot description to reflect the correct wine? (Klipsun vineyard instead of Silver Top)

I believe the Silver Top is the Klipsun..

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Just spoke to Mr. Page; to quote him: "...Fanciful name of the wine is silver top. The vineyard is klipsun."

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:Thanks Kyle, nice review! Sounds like your tastes are similar to mine when it comes to Cabs. I don't mind some oak but prefer fruit over oak. Did the oakiness blow off after being in the glass for awhile? I wonder what it will be like in another 5 years....

The oak integrated a bit, but it's there. My concern with aging would obviously be the high pH.

Winery: what kind of oak and what % new?

chipgreen

neilfindswine wrote:Just spoke to Mr. Page; to quote him: "...Fanciful name of the wine is silver top. The vineyard is klipsun."

Thanks, Neil - probably a CT user error then since there are separate listings for Silver Top and Klipsun. Not the first time I've seen multiple listings for the same wine but easy to see how this one came about.

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:The oak integrated a bit, but it's there. My concern with aging would obviously be the high pH.

Yes, although he did say call us in ten years and we'll let you know how much longer (I am assuming he meant ten years from vintage). Think I will stand pat with my 2 sets, drink the Syrahs first and let the Cabs sit for a couple years. Thanks for the followup.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Edit: I see mrlbem compares this to Meeker. I would disagree based on the acid. Meeker aciduates (and is very open about doing so) whereas, as I said and as the numbers show, the acid in the CS is quite low. Not a good or bad thing, just trying to give some perspective.

We've had talk about doing this exact treatment, post-uncorking, pre-pouring, for those that like enamel etching acidity in whites. Wondering here...

CT

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

I got the previous woot deal, including the 2006 Preface which I thought was a nice effort. Nose had an interesting spicy note, in addition to earth and a little smoke. Chewy taste of dark berry, chocolate, pepper and nice oakey tannins with a long finish. 91.