mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
InFrom wrote:I found this cheap p.o.c. on DealNews today -- I see that it comes w/ a pre-paid SIM card, but it doesn't give any specifics.

That's $4 more than Red Pocket sells just the SIM for. You seem to be able to find them cheap on Ebay. Take a look at http://goredpocket.com/...

Edit: They seem to be an ATT MVNO

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Done did it for today!

thanks!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

PLEASE keep clicking!! she has made it to 2nd place!!!!! Now all we need is for this to stay and get her to 1st!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
mother wrote:That's $4 more than Red Pocket sells just the SIM for. You seem to be able to find them cheap on Ebay. Take a look at http://goredpocket.com/...

Wow it's cheap (said the Verizon Wireless customer).

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:That's $4 more than Red Pocket sells just the SIM for. You seem to be able to find them cheap on Ebay. Take a look at http://goredpocket.com/...

That would be a great deal. No time for shipping, since she comes in Saturday, but I am going to keep this for next trip and buy in more advance.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
polarbear22 wrote:The best part of waking up is Bowtie in the Pub.

Try to read that without a jingle playing in your head.

I got as far as "waking", the first time reading, before the jingle kicked in. Now I want some coffee.

Or maybe sake.

Sake coffee?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Huh. Who knew they all had different terminologies?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
chemvictim wrote:It is exhausting. It's fun when you have different opinions coming from intelligent people. I want them to give me a good reason to change my mind. And wooters have, several times.

It is different here since most of those debating already know each other figuratively and/or literally so there is a pre-existing level of respect (and absence of name calling) that does not exist in Amazon's discussion forums.

MarkDaSpark

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

What? Everyone was scared off by Inigo?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Question for all of the tech-o-philes around here.

My firm sells cycled out laptops (new laptops for everyone on a 3-year cycle) to employees for $20. I am getting one. They are all Lenovo T-Series laptops and are whiped clean, no operating system, or anything. Just hardware for $20. For those in the know of Lenovo, I don't know what they will be giving me, but I expect it to be either a T60, T61 or T500 series laptop. I will probably just pick up a copy og Windows 8 to load on it, which currently looks to me selling for about $100. Are there any other, better, cheaper options out there, other than Linux? I'm just looking for basic functionality for home use, internet browsing, etc. I have access to microsoft office installs for $10, so will eventually like to do that.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Question for all of the tech-o-philes around here.

My firm sells cycled out laptops (new laptops for everyone on a 3-year cycle) to employees for $20. I am getting one. They are all Lenovo T-Series laptops and are whiped clean, no operating system, or anything. Just hardware for $20. For those in the know of Lenovo, I don't know what they will be giving me, but I expect it to be either a T60, T61 or T500 series laptop. I will probably just pick up a copy og Windows 8 to load on it, which currently looks to me selling for about $100. Are there any other, better, cheaper options out there, other than Linux? I'm just looking for basic functionality for home use, internet browsing, etc. I have access to microsoft office installs for $10, so will eventually like to do that.

Look at the label on the bottom of the laptop. You should be able to use the code on the Windows OS (XP/Vista/7), since the license stays with the machine, not the buyer.

So if you have a CD/DVD of that OS, you should be able to use that to load on the appropriate OS. Cost = $0.

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:Look at the label on the bottom of the laptop. You should be able to use the code on the Windows OS (XP/Vista/7), since the license stays with the machine, not the buyer.

So if you have a CD/DVD of that OS, you should be able to use that to load on the appropriate OS. Cost = $0.

Our laptops, or at least my current one, has no such labels. I believe our firm just orders the hardware and does all software purchasing and installation on their own, rather than buying preloaded machines.

And, I don't have any CDs anyway.

My CT

MarkDaSpark

And Home.Woot dumped the Olive Oil and now has Cast Iron pots up. Who Trusts Felix????

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:I will probably just pick up a copy og Windows 8 to load on it, which currently looks to me selling for about $100. Are there any other, better, cheaper options out there, other than Linux? I'm just looking for basic functionality for home use, internet browsing, etc. I have access to microsoft office installs for $10, so will eventually like to do that.

lacking the touch screen interface W8 seems to be optimized for, and not particularly liking change for change or marketing sake, I'd likely go with W7. Some consideration should be given to your available RAM.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:lacking the touch screen interface W8 seems to be optimized for, and not particularly liking change for change or marketing sake, I'd likely go with W7. Some consideration should be given to your available RAM.

I love the 8 interface, but its way way better with touch.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:I love the 8 interface, but its way way better with touch.

Hows the OS memory footprint and cpu load? Much perceived difference in response than 7 with the same hardware platform?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:And Home.Woot dumped the Olive Oil and now has Cast Iron pots up. Who Trusts Felix????

It wasn't dumped. It sold out.

Gotta be faster, dude.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
ThunderThighs wrote:It wasn't dumped. It sold out.

Gotta be faster, dude.

So? Since when does that imply a new offer takes its place?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316

klezman wrote:So? Since when does that imply a new offer takes its place?

Relatively often on Sport, Home and Woot. Nearly ever other day I get a mid-day alert on my phone for a new item being posted when the original one sells out. It generally doesn't happen on W.W because of the nature of the product and deals with the wineries.

My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Which is why RPM, PetiteSirah, and I gave up.

Contrary to Kyle's delusions of grandeur (I left due to him ... hah!)

Can we talk about politics in the politics thread?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:It wasn't dumped. It sold out.

Gotta be faster, dude.

Didn't care to be.

And didn't realize that the other sites now put things up when they sell out.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Can we talk about politics in the politics thread?

We weren't talking politics. As usual, you missed the point. My post (and the post I was responding to) had nothing to do with politics, other than giving the reason we left.

Which in my case, wasn't due to you personally, nor in anything specific you posted there, contrary to your post there.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:We weren't talking politics. As usual, you missed the point. My post (and the post I was responding to) had nothing to do with politics, other than giving the reason we left.

Which in my case, wasn't due to you personally, nor in anything specific you posted there, contrary to your post there.

Now are we talking about politics? We're certainly getting a bit touchy. As usual, I miss the point? Seems a bit sharp for the pub. This is why I requested we take it back to the proper thread.

Edit: for no other reason that to prove no point was missed, you told Ron he was doing a good job in the politics thread, ergo agreeing with what he was saying about politics. Agreeing with what he was saying in the politics thread here, in the not-politics thread. And he responded with a similarly, ostensibly unpolitical, yet political post about ropes and mud and help. I'm not mad or anything, as could be read with the lack of tone in text. I'm just asking that the political discussion, even surreptitious discussion, be kept in the proper thread. It would seem easy enough to say everything you said here in there without jumping in too deeply.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:We weren't talking politics. As usual, you missed the point. My post (and the post I was responding to) had nothing to do with politics, other than giving the reason we left.

Are you just avoiding politics? Naw, not you.

CT

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Now are we talking about politics? We're certainly getting a bit touchy. As usual, I miss the point? Seems a bit sharp for the pub. This is why I requested we take it back to the proper thread.

Edit: for no other reason that to prove no point was missed, you told Ron he was doing a good job in the politics thread, ergo agreeing with what he was saying about politics. Agreeing with what he was saying in the politics thread here, in the not-politics thread. And he responded with a similarly, ostensibly unpolitical, yet political post about ropes and mud and help. I'm not mad or anything, as could be read with the lack of tone in text. I'm just asking that the political discussion, even surreptitious discussion, be kept in the proper thread. It would seem easy enough to say everything you said here in there without jumping in too deeply.

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

This is exactly WHY I no longer post there. You take a simple post (in this case several posts), and turn it into something it isn't. My posts only touched on why I no longer post there, not on anything remotely political. There was nothing in them that needed to be said in the Poli-Ticks thread.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

It is nice on a touch. So cool on a MS Surface. Have you seen the Leap Motion that will be released in May? That will make me more apt to make the switch on a desktop. Even with a touch screen monitor at a desk, it's cumbersome to do the touch functions with a keyboard and desk in front of you. I think that as long as the Leap Motion or something like it becomes a well integrated input device and works seamlessly with the Metro interface, I'll finally make the switch from 7 to 8 on my home and work desktops.

If anyone hasn't heard of the Leap Motion, click on the link above and watch the video. Too cool.

klezman

I was forced to use Win8 at work today with a new computer. I hated it. Then I turned my loathing toward HP, since they do not provide easy access to device drivers for other versions of Windows. We had to upgrade to Win7 and it took me almost an hour to find the appropriate network drivers so that I could simply get the rest of the drivers. Sheesh.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:I was forced to use Win8 at work today with a new computer. I hated it. Then I turned my loathing toward HP, since they do not provide easy access to device drivers for other versions of Windows. We had to upgrade to Win7 and it took me almost an hour to find the appropriate network drivers so that I could simply get the rest of the drivers. Sheesh.

I haven't used it for work, just on my FIL home PC. Easy for old people, I liked it a lot.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:PLEASE keep clicking!! she has made it to 2nd place!!!!! Now all we need is for this to stay and get her to 1st!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Done my deed for the day!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Done my deed for the day!

+1

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:

OK, this looked interesting, but the phone number looked British, so of course I googled it, and turned up a bit of fascinating info, and a link to the most interesting wine snob in the world.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

Well, chance of rain tomorrow has dropped to 10%. Woot!

And it's going to be 67°

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:Done my deed for the day!

Thanks for the reminder. It helps! Done!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:OK, this looked interesting, but the phone number looked British, so of course I googled it, and turned up a bit of fascinating info, and a link to the most interesting wine snob in the world.

And here I was expecting to see this Wine Snob!

rjquillin

ddeuddeg wrote:OK, this looked interesting, but the phone number looked British, so of course I googled it, and turned up a bit of fascinating info, and a link to the most interesting wine snob in the world.

Looks to have the original in West Sussex UK, as well as a possible domestic franchise . Creative idea.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Looks to have the original in West Sussex UK, as well as a possible domestic franchise . Creative idea.

Shouldn't you be getting ready to drive up the 405?

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Shouldn't you be getting ready to drive up the 405?

In about 10min I'll be on it.

Gas!

CT

MarkDaSpark

Well, I made it home safe, since zTimBz's +1 drove us back, and since he posted in the thread, I see both of them made it back home safe too.

For everyone who missed it, you should have been there!!!