2011 Cycles Gladiator California Pinot Noir
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
11/26/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

Very mixed bag on the previous case offer. Petite sirah was surprisingly good for the price, cab was meh and the zin was downright terrible. Anyone had the merlot or PN?

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

interested in splitting

SirLord

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SirLord

Can't ship to or even be purchased in Alabama due to the nude image on the label. When I moved to Iowa I had a bottle of the cab as an act of rebellion. I found it lackluster and a bit too astringent for my taste.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 24th.

March Madness is in full swing! Why not mourn your busted brackets among your wine drinking brethren? Host a Get-Together in your area!

March
3/30: SoCal #24: Aged Zins
3/30: Atlanta #1

April
4/2: SoCal Special: Wine from Neil's Trunk Because you can always something special in the back of some dude's vehicle...
4/6: Colorado #?
4/6: Missouri: Jefferson City
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner

May
5/4: NorCal: Vincent Arroyo Open House

June
6/1: NorCal Bordeaux Tasting

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

We had a bottle of the Copa del Rey CS tonight. Both the Copa del Rey and the Cycles Gladiator are Hahn products.

Compared to the Cycles Gladiator CS, the Copa del Rey CS was scrumptious. And with this last shipment I've reached a point where I don't particularly care for the Copa del Rey CS too much anymore.

The Cycles Gladiator zin was the worst wine I have ever tasted in my life - and the only wine that was even remotely close was the Gladiator CS (that is in this offer) that I received.

Based on overall comments and notes, I think it's likely that some of the batches of Cycles Gladiator that were in the previous offer are spoiled. People who got juice from good patches enjoyed those bottles. People who got the bad batches found them undrinkable.

I likened the flavor note in my Gladiator zin and CS to aged and ripened cat piss (an odor I am unfortunately familiar with from a former feline in our household). With the help of a commenter at CT when I posted my observations, I learned that what I was detecting was likely a mercaptan, specifically 3-Mercapto-3-methylbutan-1-ol. This compound is known to form during winemaking (see, for example, http://www.wineanorak.com/mercaptansinwine.htm), and is an essential flavor component in SB. But excessive mercaptans will form when there is insufficient control of nitrogen during fermentation and the yeast use organo-sulfur compounds as electron acceptors.

IMHO, it appears that there is some recent history of bungled winemaking in this operation. It pains me to post that, as in the past the Hahn name has been a virtual autobuy for me. However, knowing that the winery appears to have had some significant quality control problems in the Cycles Gladiator label puts me on the sidelines for this until I can be sure that the problems are resolved.

Caveat emptor.

stella1122

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stella1122
cortot20 wrote:Very mixed bag on the previous case offer. Petite sirah was surprisingly good for the price, cab was meh and the zin was downright terrible. Anyone had the merlot or PN?

I would agree and, unfortunately, Zins are my favorite wine. Most of the case I bought still sits in my wine rack. I have enjoyed other Hahn wines, but I would pass on the CG.

azroxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azroxx
stella1122 wrote:I would agree and, unfortunately, Zins are my favorite wine. Most of the case I bought still sits in my wine rack. I have enjoyed other Hahn wines, but I would pass on the CG.

I was so stoked about the deals I picked up the last time this was offered....Well, The Zin was horrid, the rest were so-so. Interestingly enough, I usually buy quite a bit of CG at BevMo or Total Wine...I am so confused as to how my case was so bad...sigh...

Hey cantinero! Hit me with your magic arrow!.....Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers ROCK!

I have concluded that WOOT= Waste Of Our Time...gotta be.....but i am still here...hmmmmmm

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
andreaserben wrote:interested in splitting

When I first read this, I read spitting, as when tasting...

Got joe?
My bad!

CT

candlesticky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candlesticky

Thanks for that, I really appreciated the mini-chem lesson, had never heard of that compound before. The Hahn Cab Franc was one of my favorite wines ever offered by Woot. I don't know if I've made even 1 purchase since they were bought by Amazon, the deals aren't sweet and the quality of the offerings is far more questionable.

noslensj wrote:We had a bottle of the Copa del Rey CS tonight. Both the Copa del Rey and the Cycles Gladiator are Hahn products.

Compared to the Cycles Gladiator CS, the Copa del Rey CS was scrumptious. And with this last shipment I've reached a point where I don't particularly care for the Copa del Rey CS too much anymore.

The Cycles Gladiator zin was the worst wine I have ever tasted in my life - and the only wine that was even remotely close was the ThanGladiator CS (that is in this offer) that I received.

Based on overall comments and notes, I think it's likely that some of the batches of Cycles Gladiator that were in the previous offer are spoiled. People who got juice from good patches enjoyed those bottles. People who got the bad batches found them undrinkable.

I likened the flavor note in my Gladiator zin and CS to aged and ripened cat piss (an odor I am unfortunately familiar with from a former feline in our household). With the help of a commenter at CT when I posted my observations, I learned that what I was detecting was likely a mercaptan, specifically 3-Mercapto-3-methylbutan-1-ol. This compound is known to form during winemaking (see, for example, http://www.wineanorak.com/mercaptansinwine.htm), and is an essential flavor component in SB. But excessive mercaptans will form when there is insufficient control of nitrogen during fermentation and the yeast use organo-sulfur compounds as electron acceptors.

IMHO, it appears that there is some recent history of bungled winemaking in this operation. It pains me to post that, as in the past the Hahn name has been a virtual autobuy for me. However, knowing that the winery appears to have had some significant quality control problems in the Cycles Gladiator label puts me on the sidelines for this until I can be sure that the problems are resolved.

Caveat emptor.

benyust2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages benyust2

I thought the Pinot was not that great (but I did like the Zin which was the first wine.woot wine I ever tried). The Merlot was OK. If this was the CS, PS and Zin (as was the first mixed case I bought), I'd be in for three. I don't want any more of the Pinot (I think I'm just not a Pinot fan). I'm wondering if there are some bad (faulty for lack of a better word) Zins out there? I'm no tasting expert but that first bottle of Zin I tried is really responsible for the subsequent >$1K (probably really closer to $2-3K) of wine bought in the last several months. Some haven't been very good so it isn't that I like everything. It just seems weird that something I liked so much seems to be disliked by everyone else here. Mostly, my tastes seem to conform to the average in the community (except for the CG Zin).

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Had thought about this because I'm getting desperate, but I think the Copa Del Rey is terrible, so if this is even worse, it sounds like a definite stay away?

CT

cortot20

noslensj wrote:We had a bottle of the Copa del Rey CS tonight. Both the Copa del Rey and the Cycles Gladiator are Hahn products.

The Cycles Gladiator zin was the worst wine I have ever tasted in my life - and the only wine that was even remotely close was the Gladiator CS (that is in this offer) that I received.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks for the heads up, already put in my request for a refund on the zin.

CT

benyust2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages benyust2
rmm989 wrote:Had thought about this because I'm getting desperate, but I think the Copa Del Rey is terrible, so if this is even worse, it sounds like a definite stay away?

IMO, much better than the Copa Del Rey but I might have just gotten some of the "good" CG cases.

alpineguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpineguy

I can concur with others about the previous Cycles Zin from a previous offering. These absolutely were the two worst bottles of wine I have ever opened. Mercaptan tainted or something else, they were downright terrible - defying easy description of either the smell or the taste. I did taste both bottles, but they both went down the drain. I feared even drinking them. After a sniff of the second bottle, friends would not even try a taste. They commented that they could not even identify it as wine. I cannot believe a winemaker would even think about sending these wines to market and trust that something went wrong later in the process.

As a cyclist, I really did want to like the Cycles Gladiators. As a fan of Hahn wines, I was expecting something good. I've been afraid to even open the Cabs that came with the mixed order.

Until I see a post from the winemaker explaining what went wrong with the previous batch of Zin, I would urge caution before hitting the yellow button on this offer.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Bought the Syrah, Merlot, Pinot combo last time. It was my second case of CG. The Syrah was decent for the price but the others I wont pay money for again. I've tried a lot of CG wine and I have to say that I've never experienced anything as revolting as the Zin commented on here today.

toddlamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toddlamp

I am by no means a wine connoisseur but really liked the CG Cuvee I picked up on on Woot some many months ago. As soon as I saw that they were selling another CG wine I was very interested. However reading the comments about the Zin is a little unnerving.

I am curious how this will compare to the Cuvee I bought before? If I liked the CG Cuvee can I expect to enjoy these?

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

I didn't like the Copa del Ray when it was on offer, OTOH I have no idea why so much negging on the Cycles Zin, which I LOVED.

The petit Syrah was VERY good; the only "so so" one was the Cab but I'm not much of a Cab person.

VERY tempted to get this case and try the new assortment. Note that I have had everything that these guys make; was fortunate enough to go to a tasting event and I like the brand very much.

lurkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurkey

I received the CS, PS, and Zin case. Would not buy again regardless of the offering. I ended up giving them away to my (in college and broke) sister in law.

ETA: She is 21.

noslensj

Would be nice to hear some responses from the winery.

semirose

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semirose
toddlamp wrote:I am by no means a wine connoisseur but really liked the CG Cuvee I picked up on on Woot some many months ago. As soon as I saw that they were selling another CG wine I was very interested. However reading the comments about the Zin is a little unnerving.

I am curious how this will compare to the Cuvee I bought before? If I liked the CG Cuvee can I expect to enjoy these?

I basically have the same question and wish the winery was answering. I'm a casual wine drinker and really enjoyed the cuvée so was curious when this popped up but the comments on the apparent lack of qc combined with no winery answer to those comments equals a pass.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
candlesticky wrote:....The Hahn Cab Franc was one of my favorite wines ever offered by Woot....

Mine too, at least QPR-wise. Would love to see the Hahn CF again!

noslensj

candlesticky wrote:The Hahn Cab Franc was one of my favorite wines ever offered by Woot.
chipgreen wrote:Mine too, at least QPR-wise. Would love to see the Hahn CF again!

One of my all-time favorites as well; it was my first Hahn purchase, and was a key part of making Hahn almost an autobuy. I've been wishing and hoping it would reappear.

bootly4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bootly4
candlesticky wrote:Thanks for that, I really appreciated the mini-chem lesson, had never heard of that compound before. The Hahn Cab Franc was one of my favorite wines ever offered by Woot. I don't know if I've made even 1 purchase since they were bought by Amazon, the deals aren't sweet and the quality of the offerings is far more questionable.

Interesting. That was my observation on woot wines since the amazon purchase also.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I very much enjoyed the "More Reserved" Cycles Gladiator offered here a number of years ago.

I also echo the positive sentiments on Hahn in general and their Cab Franc specifically.

troman1056

quality posts: 2 Private Messages troman1056

Reading these comments while finishing up a bottle of 2006 Karren Vineyard Cabernet by Wellington that I bought in April 2012. Most of my 200+ bottles have come from Woot but only a couple of bottles in the last 4 months. Just have not had stuff I thought I would like.

rjquillin

troman1056 wrote:Reading these comments while finishing up a bottle of 2006 Karren Vineyard Cabernet by Wellington that I bought in April 2012. Most of my 200+ bottles have come from Woot but only a couple of bottles in the last 4 months. Just have not had stuff I thought I would like.

What!?

Jana Cathedral Special Library
Wellington Vineyards Old Vines Port
Meeker Sonoma County Petite Sirah
Wellington Roussanne, Sonoma County
Twisted Oak Winery
WineSmith Double Dare Offer
Wellington Sonoma Mountain Cabernet
Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera
Vino Noceto Riserva 2008 Sangiovese
Ardente 1997 Espressione Cabernet Sauvignon
Tara Bella Russian River Cabernet Sauvignon Black Tie Buy
Ty Caton Sonoma Valley Ballfield Syrah
Expression 44° Pinot Noir Randomly-Selected
Denier-Handal Alexander Valley Petite Sirah
Occasio Livermore Valley Petite Sirah

And those are just this month.
Need I go on..?

If you can't find a case or two you like in that selection, I really feel for you.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:What!?

Twisted Oak Winery

Need I go on..?

If you can't find a case or two you like in that selection, I really feel for you.

I was only compelled to buy three of those offerings...although they netted a little over a case so pay no attention to me, your right carry on.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:I was only compelled to buy three of those offerings...although they netted a little over a case so pay no attention to me, your right carry on.

No-no, I didn't purchase all of them, but they were all offered and many I already had, or would have. I was just trying to point out there have been some fine offerings. I am slightly over two cases however.

Or did I just miss the sarcasm font? We really need that here for lunkheads like me.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:No-no, I didn't purchase all of them, but they were all offered and many I already had, or would have. I was just trying to point out there have been some fine offerings. I am slightly over two cases however.

Or did I just miss the sarcasm font? We really need that here for lunkheads like me.

Yea sarcasm emoticon would be nice!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:What!?

Twisted Oak Winery

Need I go on..?

I shockingly didn't buy a single one of those.

CT