WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Twenty Rows Napa Valley Chardonnay (5)

Speed to First Woot:
8m 6.114s
First Sucker:
sarahmartine
Last Wooter to Woot:
mmeginne
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 31% of Wine Woots
Bottom 47% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 45% of Wine Woots
Top 45% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 1% first woot
  • 5% second woot
  • 17% < 10 woots
  • 10% < 25 woots
  • 66% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 13% one year old
  • 87% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 88% bought 1
  • 9% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
1%
1%
0%
0%
0%
7%
9%
10%
7%
5%
7%
6%
2%
8%
1%
5%
6%
5%
5%
1%
3%
6%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1547 Private Messages Cesare

Twenty Rows Napa Valley Chardonnay 5-Pack
$64.99 $̶1̶1̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2010 Twenty Rows Napa Valley Chardonnay

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin


quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin

While I haven't tasted this chard, the '09 SB I got a year and a half ago was a great find.
Good to see Twenty Rows back after a long absence.

Hope we can get a bit more info on this one; pH, RS, TA, and some notes from the winery on style.

CT

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

I had the chance to sample this at our gathering last night.

Most people were either favoring red wines or more dessert type whites (ice wine and so on).
In that context, nobody was blown away by it, but it was not terrible either, just that everybody wanted to go back to the reds rather.

I perceived it as very 'buttery' but could not pinpoint the fruity notes described. I did not find it very fruity at all.
Some slight caramel notes might have been there.

Overall it screamed "I am a California Chardonnay" at me.

At this price point, it is an attractive buy, but personally I will pass since my white wine stock is already where I want it to be.
If you do like 'in character' (= Chards that do not try to be something else) Napa Chardonnay, I would recommend it though.

dalematthew


quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew

Do I remember correctly that the Wall chard from a while back was from Twenty Rows / or they discontinued the Wall label.

Would love to know (hear) that this is the same chard as the Wall. One of my wife favorites.

Winery rep or anyone in the know?

Edit: also malo treatment?

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
dalematthew wrote:
Edit: also malo treatment?


My guess is yes, since it was quite buttery in my opinion.

chipgreen


quality posts: 173 Private Messages chipgreen
dalematthew wrote:Do I remember correctly that the Wall chard from a while back was from Twenty Rows / or they discontinued the Wall label.


good call

dalematthew


quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
dalematthew wrote:Do I remember correctly that the Wall chard from a while back was from Twenty Rows / or they discontinued the Wall label.

Would love to know (hear) that this is the same chard as the Wall. One of my wife favorites.

Winery rep or anyone in the know?

Edit: also malo treatment?



Okay - so answered my own question based on the same winemaker - Brian Nuss and the following from a wine rep on the Wall offering:

"This is Tim of Twenty Rows. Wall is a sub label of Twenty Rows. On the back of the label it reads Cellared and Bottled by Twenty Rows Winery. However, we are excited to showcase it to our Woot friends now because our next vintage will be the 2010 Twenty Rows Chardonnay and will no longer be bottled under the Wall label."

And here's the 2010 - in for the max for one happy wife

Last wooter to woot:dalematthew
Last purchase:7 minutes ago

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
dalematthew wrote:happy wife

... happy life.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice

Hey Guys,

Tim Nuss here from Twenty Rows. If you enjoyed our 2009 Wall Cellars Chardonnay you'll love our 2010 Twenty Rows Chardonnay. Around the winery it is know as the "Adult Apple Juice," and was a wine club and fan favorite. The Chardonnay is sourced from the Red Hen Vineyard in the Oak Knoll district. This wine is definitely designed more like a our famous Sauvignon Blancs. It definitely has crisps nots of apple and guava. It's 70% stainless steel fermented and 30% is finished on new french oak. It has hints of oakines and smokiness on the end of the palate.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice

The malolactic fermentation is shut down early to stay away from the over oaky buttery California style. We attempted to stay truer to the varital with this Chardonnay and not mask it.

flowerchild59


quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

I have had the twenty rows chard before and this is a very nice one, worth purchasing again. With summer parties coming along, it will be a hit.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

losthighwayz


quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
twentyrowsadultapplejuice wrote:Hey Guys,

Tim Nuss here from Twenty Rows. If you enjoyed our 2009 Wall Cellars Chardonnay you'll love our 2010 Twenty Rows Chardonnay. Around the winery it is know as the "Adult Apple Juice," and was a wine club and fan favorite. The Chardonnay is sourced from the Red Hen Vineyard in the Oak Knoll district. This wine is definitely designed more
like a our famous Sauvignon Blancs. It definitely has crisps nots of apple and guava. It's 70% stainless steel fermented and 30% is finished on new french oak. It has hints of oakines and smokiness on the end of the palate.




Nice to have you back. Im not a chard guy but Purchased your SB on here a while back and wife and I loved it! Any chance it will be back?

"The older I get the better I was"

chipgreen


quality posts: 173 Private Messages chipgreen
losthighwayz wrote:Nice to have you back. Im not a chard guy but Purchased your SB on here a while back and wife and I loved it! Any chance it will be back?


The 2011 is sold out on their website but they just had a big Oysters & SB bash (release party?) a couple weeks ago with some '12 SB that is not yet listed for sale.

rjquillin


quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
twentyrowsadultapplejuice wrote:The malolactic fermentation is shut down early to stay away from the over oaky buttery California style. We attempted to stay truer to the varital with this Chardonnay and not mask it.

Tim, thanks for dropping in late with some notes from the winery on style. I did enjoy the Wall Chard from a yer ago and the SB from even earlier.

Really hoping you have your notebook handy so you could add some additional info on this one; pH, RS, TA to further help us decide on this one, and how it may cellar?

CT

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

White wines are really great...for keeping me from spending money on woot.

cortot20


quality posts: 128 Private Messages cortot20

The SB was one of my wife's favorites and the grappler zin blend was popular here although I never got to try it. My preferred chard. Is not of the oaky buttery variety more the crisp clean green apple light on the tongue variety. So this is a pass for my wife and I. But my experience thus far with the winery is positive and look forward to some other offerings from twenty rows. Welcome back Tim.

CT

nfurlong


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong

Here's a good example of the dilemma facing deal-a-day winos, I mean wine afficionados like us. On another (nameless) site, is another 2010 Chardonnay, a Diamond Ridge Carneros offering, which after taxes and shipping (free for 4), is exactly the same cost per bottle as this one on Woot. It's description even is similar to the Twenty Rows and both are from Napa. So is one far superior to the other?

chipgreen


quality posts: 173 Private Messages chipgreen
nfurlong wrote:Here's a good example of the dilemma facing deal-a-day winos, I mean wine afficionados like us. On another (nameless) site, is another 2010 Chardonnay, a Diamond Ridge Carneros offering, which after taxes and shipping (free for 4), is exactly the same cost per bottle as this one on Woot. It's description even is similar to the Twenty Rows and both are from Napa. So is one far superior to the other?

Diamond Ridge, you say? Did the winesmith make that? I picked up their PS from the recent woot+ deal.

CruelMelody


quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

the wtso offering has "bountiful oakiness" and a lush, full mouthfeel. Probably wasn't aged in stainless steel, and is more the california "butter bomb" style than this offering methinks.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice
flowerchild59 wrote:I have had the twenty rows chard before and this is a very nice one, worth purchasing again. With summer parties coming along, it will be a hit.



It definitely makes for a great glass of summertime wine.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice

The name Twenty Rows comes from a vineyard block that the Nuss family cares for high above the Napa Valley. It is located on Mt. Veeder and what makes it special is the fact that the block happens to be Twenty vineyards rows hence the name Twenty Rows.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice

We were truly motivated to create a chardonnay that was further away from the over oaky over buttery modern California Chardonnays. We really wanted to stay true to the varietal. Not to say there are not well integrated hints of Oak and Butter on the body and the finish.

losthighwayz


quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

SB deal in the works? Tim, do you have the numbers? Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

jvanasco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvanasco

never had their whites, but the Grappler zin blend and their Cab are two of my favorite wines.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice
losthighwayz wrote:Nice to have you back. Im not a chard guy but Purchased your SB on here a while back and wife and I loved it! Any chance it will be back?



We did produce as much S.B in 2012 as in years past, but check for it at twentyrows.com.

twentyrowsadultapplejuice


quality posts: 2 Private Messages twentyrowsadultapplejuice
jvanasco wrote:never had their whites, but the Grappler zin blend and their Cab are two of my favorite wines.



I'm telling you "The Adult Apple Juice" will not disappoint you.

rjquillin


quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
rjquillin wrote:Really hoping you have your notebook handy so you could add some additional info on this one; pH, RS, TA to further help us decide on this one, and how it may cellar?

Guess not... Winery participation is nice, but some of us like a bit more than marketing quotes...

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
twentyrowsadultapplejuice wrote:I'm telling you "The Adult Apple Juice" will not disappoint you.



This makes it sound like apple juice with alcohol in it, like uncarbonated cider. I don't want adult apple juice; I want wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

hdavis4000


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdavis4000

I had the pleasure of trying this at our wine woot party on Friday night. I recall it being an easy drinking Chardonnay, buttery with a small amount of oak on the palate. If you enjoy Chardonnay, I would recommend it

"Wine is bottled poetry." -Robert Louis Stevenson

jvanasco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvanasco
twentyrowsadultapplejuice wrote:I'm telling you "The Adult Apple Juice" will not disappoint you.



it probably won't... but we're a red family. the only time we ever buy more than 2 of a white, it is a ridiculously good $5 white ( name, we're protective about! ) which we buy by the case.

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
jvanasco wrote:it probably won't... but we're a red family. the only time we ever buy more than 2 of a white, it is a ridiculously good $5 white ( name, we're protective about! ) which we buy by the case.



afraid that everybody will want it and none will be left for you? prices will go up? I say - support the winery and strike a deal with them if prices go up as a result and you can prove it ;)

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
hdavis4000 wrote:I had the pleasure of trying this at our wine woot party on Friday night. I recall it being an easy drinking Chardonnay, buttery with a small amount of oak on the palate. If you enjoy Chardonnay, I would recommend it



Agreed. The wine unfortunately was a little bit neglected by most of us since we had so many reds to go through.
It may have not been as buttery as other Chardonnays, lacking the direct comparison when sneaking it in between a lot of reds.. - but definitely still had enough butter for a red-wine person to note that foremost.

lacotomo


quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

So I went in for one, but am getting conflicting notes. The first couple say very Buttery, then the winery says Apple Juice like. Can we get some clarification? Would like some buttery. One of the first posters said very buttery and caramel too....which is the opposite end of the spectrum of 'Adult Apple Juice'

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
lacotomo wrote:So I went in for one, but am getting conflicting notes. The first couple say very Buttery, then the winery says Apple Juice like. Can we get some clarification? Would like some buttery. One of the first posters said very buttery and caramel too....which is the opposite end of the spectrum of 'Adult Apple Juice'


maybe it was butter-caramel sauteed apples

My palate was maybe too much overwhelmed by having reds before and after... the same thing might have influenced others at the same gathering also.

I am curious to get your TN once you had it.

lacotomo


quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
andreaserben wrote:maybe it was butter-caramel sauteed apples

My palate was maybe too much overwhelmed by having reds before and after... the same thing might have influenced others at the same gathering also.

I am curious to get your TN once you had it.




I am by no means a wine expert, but to whoever said buttery, I call shenanigans!!!! That said, it is not the fruit bomb that others mentioned. It is fruity, but not overwhelming. My wife likes it buttery, but she likes this one as well. Me, eh. Its not too harsh, but going down is a bit of a pucker up for me. I asked my wife if it was the bottle you serve to friends at a party after a couple bottles are already gone, and she said no, that it stood on its own.

Overall, good buy, just not what I/we expected.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a full buttery chard?