jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:I have a friend that loves JLohr Cab. I usually end up with one as hostess gift when we get together and I don't think it's bad for a low price cab. Can anyone tell me how this would compare to JLohr?

The J Lohr is a bigger, fruitier wine than this one. I would also say this is softer and smoother, with no acidic finish.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
jmdavidson wrote:The J Lohr is a bigger, fruitier wine than this one. I would also say this is softer and smoother, with no acidic finish.

Maybe I'll shoot him an email anyway since this is cheaper per bottle and sounds like it is worth it.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey
andreaserben wrote:Here is the list of states that Sextant Wines is supposedly shipping to right now. MA is not on the list.
http://www.sextantwines.com/Shipping-Policy
There are discrepancies between the list on woot and of the winery, but MA is not one of those.

@Woot: The winery itself is not charging sales tax unless shipping to California, I actually had seen several "woot" wineries that do not seem to charge sales tax when shipping "out of state"... if it is a compliance thing of the winery as indicated in previous posts, then how do they do it differently when shipping directly after ordering from them compared to Woot?

An excellent question.

introspect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages introspect

A couple of sincere questions, please:

1. Why would the need to decant a couple of hours discourage someone from this offer? I've seen many descriptions of young or "big" reds which are recommended to decant a couple of hours before serving. What's the difference?

2a. In this situation, with secondary fermentation in bottle, resulting in the fizz which can be aired out in a few hours, does that bring the wine to "just opened" state of a healthy bottle?

2b. How does this secondary fermentation affect the drinkability window of the wine? Please, for someone who has experience with this specifically: after aerating the fizz out, such that you're happy with the taste, does that state keep for a couple of days, say, with refrigeration and/or Vac-U-Vin?

Thanks!

zbekele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbekele

Not a good Wine at all... would not buy it...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
zbekele wrote:Not a good Wine at all... would not buy it...

Did you buy previously?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
introspect wrote:A couple of sincere questions, please:

1. Why would the need to decant a couple of hours discourage someone from this offer? I've seen many descriptions of young or "big" reds which are recommended to decant a couple of hours before serving. What's the difference?

Generally speaking it's because this is an everyday dinner wine. It's not a special bottle for a special meal, or something you're going to have while sitting around with friends. The hassle of needing to arrange to decant the bottle a few hours before dinner means that some people would rather spend more and not need to invest so much time/energy into their dinner beverage.

2a. In this situation, with secondary fermentation in bottle, resulting in the fizz which can be aired out in a few hours, does that bring the wine to "just opened" state of a healthy bottle?

No,
1) It's still flawed wine, you've just removed the most obvious sign of the flaw. There was meant to be different compounds in that bottle than what ended up there.
2) Whatever decanting a non flawed bottle heavily would do to the flavor/texture is still happening.

2b. How does this secondary fermentation affect the drinkability window of the wine? Please, for someone who has experience with this specifically: after aerating the fizz out, such that you're happy with the taste, does that state keep for a couple of days, say, with refrigeration and/or Vac-U-Vin?

It's already been heavily decanted, so no it wouldn't be the same. Decanting does the same things that "days open" does.

Look, if you are buying this you probably aren't tasting your wine with a super refined palate (hell most of us who aren't buying it don't taste our wine with one!) and it will be just fine on day 3.

PS Byron- if we can find a few others, I'd go for a few bottles just out of curiosity... I just don't want to be stuck with a case of 'meh' wine that needs 2 or 3 hours notice ;)

giffenc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giffenc
dianefreda wrote:Same here-if allowed to decant for over two hours you have yourself a very decent wine-this is a good deal.

I bought this the last time and I'm glad I did. I enjoy the fizziness, and it sits well.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
andreaserben wrote:Here is the list of states that Sextant Wines is supposedly shipping to right now. MA is not on the list.
http://www.sextantwines.com/Shipping-Policy
There are discrepancies between the list on woot and of the winery, but MA is not one of those.

@Woot: The winery itself is not charging sales tax unless shipping to California, I actually had seen several "woot" wineries that do not seem to charge sales tax when shipping "out of state"... if it is a compliance thing of the winery as indicated in previous posts, then how do they do it differently when shipping directly after ordering from them compared to Woot?

I thought we had a thread for this, but don't see it.
Apologies for the thread hijack.

This whole tax thing looks to become a moot point for discussion very soon. Read more HERE.

CT

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

Life's too short.....

(a good argument made to support either decision to buy or not to buy.)

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
rjquillin wrote:I thought we had a thread for this, but don't see it.

This whole tax thing looks to become a moot point for discussion very soon. Read more HERE.

I don't see where that changes anything at all about wine sales at wine.woot.

1. Wineries will still need to get state by state permission for internet sales of wine into the state.

2. Every state that has a sales tax currently collects sales taxes from wineries conducting internet sales into the state. (Collecting sales tax is required in order to obtain the permit.)

So I don't see where this legislation would either open new states to wine sales, or result in the collection of taxes on wine sales that aren't already being collected.

rjquillin

noslensj wrote:I don't see where that changes anything at all about wine sales at wine.woot.

1. Wineries will still need to get state by state permission for internet sales of wine into the state.

2. Every state that has a sales tax currently collects sales taxes from wineries conducting internet sales into the state. (Collecting sales tax is required in order to obtain the permit.)

So I don't see where this legislation would either open new states to wine sales, or result in the collection of taxes on wine sales that aren't already being collected.

[hijack]
Only that once this is implemented, if it is, this tax discussion (Amazon/Woot) may become standardized.

I agree with you, in taxable states, tax is now assessed and collected. It's more of an internet vs. B&M thing.
[/hijack]

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
rjquillin wrote:I thought we had a thread for this, but don't see it.

I was not asking about sales tax itself - but wondering why specifically woot collects sales taxes on behalf of the winery because supposedly they 'have to' because of the license requirements the winery has - if in fact the winery itself does not do it when you go directly to their website. I have seen that multiple times, I Jane. Stop this crazy thing! to single an individual winery out here, there are quite some.

As to moot or not because of pending legislation - let that legislation become active, then we will see.
There will be people who will be creative with this, I am sure, e.g. people setting up multiple companies just for the sake of each of them staying under the million dollar limit. the administrative cost in doing so for some might be lower than what they can gain by driving more business by competing with 'no sales tax' prices.

rjquillin

andreaserben wrote:I was not asking about sales tax itself

Perhaps it's better if we move this to Poli"ticks" III

CT

struculeus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages struculeus

I guess the Woot! Servers drank too much of their own daily deal.

Can't complete purchase! Will not advance past the "How many do you want page."

If fixed before I go to bed, I'm in. Anyone else getting this problem?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

struculeus wrote:I guess the Woot! Servers drank too much of their own daily deal.

Can't complete purchase! Will not advance past the "How many do you want page."

If fixed before I go to bed, I'm in. Anyone else getting this problem?

They are working on it now. Sorry about the problem.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Try now. Others are reporting that they can order now.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

struculeus

ThunderThighs wrote:Try now. Others are reporting that they can order now.

Thx! Done.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Just opened another bottle of the Mirage and swirled... after a few minutes absolutely drinkable.
The main concern as to your experience that there will be variations between bottles.
e.g. last night's bottle was had oak, cedar - this night's bottle is pretty fruity. - a true "Mirage"

That being said, none of those variations SO FAR resulted in a bottle that was 'bad'/undrinkable.

All resulted in a smooth, drinkable Cab, that I maintain could sell for over $20 without the fizz.

Needless to say:

Last Wooter to Woot:andreaserben

Day 2 left in decanter. Still good if not slightly improved.
Day 3 left in decanter should have finished it on day 2.

struculeus

Note to drinkers, if you don't want to wait too long to drink.
This is a trick I learned (being the impatient person I am) in how to open up a bottle of wine without waiting too long.
It works really well to dissipate the CO2 in this wine.

Open bottle. Run it through a venturi into a glass water pitcher.
Use a wand / hand blender on it for about 2 minutes.
Ready to drink about 15 minutes later.

I just got my case, and tried it on the first bottle. This technique worked excellently on the bottle. It is a good wine, but this one has a heavy cork flavor. Don't know if it's unique to this bottle or not. I like wood /oak, but that's not what I'm getting. It's cork. Even with that, now that I don't have fizzle on my tongue, this was an excellent value.

dll2k4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dll2k4

One bottle very corked (vs three pretty drinkable thus far). Any suggestions as to what I should do with it?

ThunderThighs

Staff

dll2k4 wrote:One bottle very corked (vs three pretty drinkable thus far). Any suggestions as to what I should do with it?

Sorry about that. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.