chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

Thought it would be handy to have a thread for all things CT related. We can start with the question of how much (if anything) do you pay to use the site?

This is my second year using it. I don't remember how much Eric suggested that I pay initially but I remember that I paid $24. This year he asked for $50 but I paid $36. I feel like the site is still in flux even though it's officially out of Beta and it's often very slow and occasionally inaccessible. I will probably send him $50 next year though.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

It really depends on how many wines you have to track, and how much you use the site.

The more wine, the more you should contribute. I think there is a certain level that gains you access to more features (i.e., seeing more prices (values) and scores).

He recommends $36 for less than 500 bottles, $75 for 500 to 999 bottles, and scales upward from there for more than 1,000 bottles.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

I must have misremembered, not sure where I got $50 from. Maybe that's the amount I was contemplating before deciding to send $36 instead.

I do use the site alot (daily) and now have over 800 wines so I will definitely up my "donation" next year.

I feel like my own contributions have some value as well, though. Besides tasting notes (which I really should do more often), I create/add new wines, upload label pics, submit revisions, add UPCs, etc. to try to do my share for the CT community.

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I do use the site alot (daily) and now have over 800 wines so I will definitely up my "donation" next year.

I feel like my own contributions have some value as well, though. Besides tasting notes (which I really should do more often), I create/add new wines, upload label pics, submit revisions, add UPCs, etc. to try to do my share for the CT community.

I finally made it to the top tier, $150, but Eric has been very accessible via email and prompt to answer questions. Like you, I modify, correct, UPC, add and do photos so feel I contribute a bit as well.

However...

And this is bound to start a discussion,

I do not at all like the new format and find it difficult to navigate, so continue using the "classic" presentation. It's slower with all the obscure popups and just doesn't seem logical, to me, no matter how much he likes and touts it's benefits.
If that interface goes away I'll reconsider my contribution.

CT

chipgreen

I remember soon after I checked out the beta site for the first time, I then went to the CT discussion forum and asked how people liked the new vs. old format. I mentioned that I thought the new site was very pleasing to the eye and looked much nicer. Most of the regulars said they preferred the original.

I still think the new design is more pleasing to the eye but I agree that it seems more difficult to navigate and worse, some of the functionality is missing. For instance, you can no longer choose to view "wines in common" with another user which is something I enjoy doing occasionally.

I sort of wish I had just adopted the new format immediately but now I am stuck not wanting to migrate from the original like you, rj.

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu

Great discussion idea. I will be forever grateful to wine dot woot for making me aware of Cellar Tracker. I cannot stand the new version, and only use the "classic" version, which I truly appreciate.

Best thing about CT is that I don't have to guess where a particular bottle is. I also appreciate tasting notes and ratings on wines I'm considering, but have learned to look at other sources, rather than just the cellar tracker ratings and comments.

I send in the money each year, and am happy to do so.

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I may have to up my contribution a bit this year...especially after last night. Thursday night I emailed him asking about how might be the best way to merge cheron98's cellar into mine. That same night he emailed me back with some specifics, and after a couple emails back and forth based on what I wanted, he completed the upload last night.
So now my Cellar is scary huge. LOL

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I may have to up my contribution a bit this year...especially after last night. Thursday night I emailed him asking about how might be the best way to merge cheron98's cellar into mine. That same night he emailed me back with some specifics, and after a couple emails back and forth based on what I wanted, he completed the upload last night.

Wow, you are lucky to get a bunch of wine out of the union. All I got out of the merge when I married my husband was a bunch of RUSH CDs.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I may have to up my contribution a bit this year...especially after last night. Thursday night I emailed him asking about how might be the best way to merge cheron98's cellar into mine. That same night he emailed me back with some specifics, and after a couple emails back and forth based on what I wanted, he completed the upload last night.

"Your" Cellar? Poor, poor HaK. It's now Cheron's Cellar.

What's yours is hers, and what's hers is still hers.

And yes, I still use and prefer the Classic views. The newer "looks" nicer, but is less functional.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:And yes, I still use and prefer the Classic views. The newer "looks" nicer, but is less functional.

Rather reminds me of the 'troubles' makeover; too much wasted white-space and other fru-fru.

CT

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
MarkDaSpark wrote:It really depends on how many wines you have to track, and how much you use the site.

The more wine, the more you should contribute. I think there is a certain level that gains you access to more features (i.e., seeing more prices (values) and scores).

He recommends $36 for less than 500 bottles, $75 for 500 to 999 bottles, and scales upward from there for more than 1,000 bottles.

Didn't you start a contest to guess how many bottles were in your cellar? What happened to that?

Wine Wooters Part Deaux FFL Champion and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tour #2 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I'm still not sold on everything about the new CT interface. Certain things seem to be a lot slower response wise.

Also, I wish Eric would open up the CT API more broadly to mobile developers.

I was working on an app to monitor wine deals, and I wanted to be able to interface with CT to lookup the wines to find their CT scores automatically, but this is off limits unfortunately, so I've put my development on hold.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

chipgreen

redwinefan wrote:I'm still not sold on everything about the new CT interface. Certain things seem to be a lot slower response wise.

Also, I wish Eric would open up the CT API more broadly to mobile developers.

I was working on an app to monitor wine deals, and I wanted to be able to interface with CT to lookup the wines to find their CT scores automatically, but this is off limits unfortunately, so I've put my development on hold.

Can you hookup with cor.kz or maybe figure out how they accessed the CT database for their app? I know that Eric has said he has no affiliation with them but they seem to have tapped in somehow.

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:Didn't you start a contest to guess how many bottles were in your cellar? What happened to that?

Still need to finish counting.

redwinefan

chipgreen wrote:Can you hookup with cor.kz or maybe figure out how they accessed the CT database for their app? I know that Eric has said he has no affiliation with them but they seem to have tapped in somehow.

Cor.kz definitely has "privileged" access to the CT api that he does not give to other uses. I decided it wasn't really worth pursuing since my app was really just hobby and not a profit making venture.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
redwinefan wrote:Cor.kz definitely has "privileged" access to the CT api that he does not give to other uses. I decided it wasn't really worth pursuing since my app was really just hobby and not a profit making venture.

Well it was definitely still useful during the recent march madness last bottle marathon.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

redwinefan

cmaldoon wrote:Well it was definitely still useful during the recent march madness last bottle marathon.

I'm going to do at least one more update to clean up some of the bugs and limit the database size.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:And yes, I still use and prefer the Classic views. The newer "looks" nicer, but is less functional.

I've never understood why the newer version gets hated on so much. To be fair, I never really used the old version much before the beta began, but I found it extremely difficult to find things and get tasks done. The constant updates to the new version have resulted in fewer clicks to do anything and everything I've needed to do. I do agree that it's far less densely packed information, but you can't have everything.

My only major kvetch is the extra click or two required to view tasting notes. I want them all available on the main wine page without having to load another link.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:
However...

And this is bound to start a discussion,

I do not at all like the new format and find it difficult to navigate, so continue using the "classic" presentation. It's slower with all the obscure popups and just doesn't seem logical, to me, no matter how much he likes and touts it's benefits.
If that interface goes away I'll reconsider my contribution.

I agree, I do not like the new format at all, and am almost always going back to classic-mode. I've tried to like it, but find the classic-mode to be much more usable. He should add an individual user preference sticky to set your profile to new or old modes.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:I've never understood why the newer version gets hated on so much. To be fair, I never really used the old version much before the beta began, but I found it extremely difficult to find things and get tasks done. The constant updates to the new version have resulted in fewer clicks to do anything and everything I've needed to do. I do agree that it's far less densely packed information, but you can't have everything.

My only major kvetch is the extra click or two required to view tasting notes. I want them all available on the main wine page without having to load another link.

Does the new one now allow a comparison of wines your cellar to that of another user?

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I'm in the like the new version camp! I thought only old people like me did not like change

My only kvetch is it's a little slower.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

I am a user of the new side. I do wish that all of the functionality was there but they are working on that. It is rare for me to go to classic mode these days. The new one looks a ton better and for what it does I find it just as easy or easier

My Cellar

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:I am a user of the new side. I do wish that all of the functionality was there but they are working on that. It is rare for me to go to classic mode these days. The new one looks a ton better and for what it does I find it just as easy or easier

Coming from green and amber ASCII terminals, I don't really give a hoot about what it looks like, as long as it's fast and functional. The new one, for me, is neither and it appears all the additional code is bogging down Eric's site, as it has gotten progressively slower the past few months in either mode.

Compact efficient, functional code and displays for me, thanks.
And yes, a sticky bit would be nice.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Does the new one now allow a comparison of wines your cellar to that of another user?

Yes and this should be comparing you to trifecta.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

klezman wrote:Yes and this should be comparing you to trifecta.

Nice! That must be relatively new...

klezman

chipgreen wrote:Nice! That must be relatively new...

No idea when they reimplemented it...not a feature I used before.

cellartracker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cellartracker

Hey folks. Commenting on a few things:

1) Site performance has been a problem the last few months. It actually has nothing to do with the new site and everything to do with SQL 2012 (versus SQL 2008 which we were using before). Alas, there is no easy way to go back, so we are working on some hardware and infrastructure upgrades. Please bear with us.

2) The feature to compare your cellar to that of another user has been there for many months, actually before the launch on 11/26/12. At this point in fact, everything in the new site should be functionally equivalent to the old site, so if you think something isn't there please take another look or ping us.

3) For those who prefer the classic site, that is your prerogative. However I always strongly recommend that people at least read this and watch the screencast: https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=41
I am 99 for 100 in terms of taking strong resistors through that personally and then having them prefer the new site a day later. For what little that is worth.

4) Apart from performance, our top priority right now is a new mobile version of the site and then hopefully wrapping that in apps for iOS, Android and even Win8. One step at a time though.

5) Adding a public API is on our roadmap, and the way we are building the mobile site will get us a lot of the way there. (We are basically building the mobile site and future iterations of the new site on an entirely modern "stack" of much newer and more scalable web technologies than the Classic ASP which I used to implement the site originally, gulp, more than 10 year ago.)

6) For those who want a "sticky bit" to get to the classic site, umm, well, web browsers have these magical bookmark/favorite features. So set yours to http://www.cellartracker.com/classic and have a nice glass of wine to celebrate!

7) Payment is purely voluntary and payment levels are just suggested. Please see the FAQ at https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=19

It goes without saying that EVERYTHING I mention above has been much discussed in some form or another in MY support forum. So please, if you have an issue, check there or check with me.

Thanks,
-Eric (Mr. CellarTracker) LeVine

rjquillin

cellartracker wrote:Hey folks. Commenting on a few things [...]

It goes without saying that EVERYTHING I mention above has been much discussed in some form or another in MY support forum. So please, if you have an issue, check there or check with me.

Thanks,
-Eric (Mr. CellarTracker) LeVine

Eric, glad you're aboard here, and thanks for the comments on performance for those of us that don't wade thru the forums over on CT.

CT

klezman

Eric, many thanks for stopping by and for all your hard work on CT. I'm excited to see mobile versions and even apps.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Thanks for dropping by Eric! I was one who didn't originally like the new version, but forced myself to use it for a while and I now find I prefer it (seems like that's how all new technology goes for me ). It's funny, when I go back to the "classic" view I feel like I can't find anything! So I encourage people to give it a try for a few weeks and maybe you'll end up preferring it in the end.

BTW: I can't wait for the mobile app! I travel a lot and my phone and iPad are my primary interfaces. The Cor.kz app just doesn't cut it, especially if I'm in a restaurant or a wine store and want to do a bit of research on a certain bottle.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

redwinefan

jhkey wrote:

BTW: I can't wait for the mobile app! I travel a lot and my phone and iPad are my primary interfaces. The Cor.kz app just doesn't cut it, especially if I'm in a restaurant or a wine store and want to do a bit of research on a certain bottle.

I totally agree. Cor.kz seems particularly useless in that scenario.

It also isn't very well optimized for people with large cellars.

bill750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bill750

OK, I give up. Where do I find this feature?

bill750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bill750
bill750 wrote:OK, I give up. Where do I find this feature?

Never mind - I actually found it by myself! Amazing...

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Haha... This must work for everyone except me!

tzarfoss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tzarfoss

The Old version was a gigantic mess of info.

The new version is clean and easy to follow. I never would have signed up for the old version but I use the new version almost every day.

The number of people now not turned away by a dated, cluttered and frankly confusing interface is really terrific for cellartracker.

Great Job!

cellartracker

tzarfoss wrote:The Old version was a gigantic mess of info.

The new version is clean and easy to follow. I never would have signed up for the old version but I use the new version almost every day.

The number of people now not turned away by a dated, cluttered and frankly confusing interface is really terrific for cellartracker.

Great Job!

Thank you, I am very glad you are enjoying the new site.

The mobile version is coming along and hopefully in an Alpha release soon.

And a BIG hardware upgrade is planned this summer.

cmaldoon

cellartracker wrote:Thank you, I am very glad you are enjoying the new site.

The mobile version is coming along and hopefully in an Alpha release soon.

And a BIG hardware upgrade is planned this summer.

Oooo. How does one get in on the mobile alpha/beta?

My Cellar

cellartracker

cmaldoon wrote:Oooo. How does one get in on the mobile alpha/beta?

It should be an open beta, although there is a chance that we might only open it up briefly for currently paying CellarTracker members. (Not as a goose to get people to pay but rather due to a wrinkle in the way our anti-scraping works and getting it working in the mobile site too.)

cmaldoon

cellartracker wrote:It should be an open beta, although there is a chance that we might only open it up briefly for currently paying CellarTracker members. (Not as a goose to get people to pay but rather due to a wrinkle in the way our anti-scraping works and getting it working in the mobile site too.)

Well I recently Paid into the pot so I look forward to it!

My Cellar

rjquillin

cellartracker wrote:It should be an open beta, although there is a chance that we might only open it up briefly for currently paying CellarTracker members. (Not as a goose to get people to pay but rather due to a wrinkle in the way our anti-scraping works and getting it working in the mobile site too.)

Thanks for remembering us here Eric.
Still trying to adjust, but I do use the new GUI occasionally now.

CT