North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
inazuma wrote:Folks,

I'm going to be a first time Daddy this year and want to buy my son wine from this year's vintage to give him as a present for his 21st Birthday. So I'll be waiting for a woot deal on a 2013 vintage. In any case, suggestions on what I should get that will keep that long (I'll have it in a wine cellar). I'm thinking something like this Jana, Corison, Ty Caton (TyTanium), a Wellington? Suggestions and comments from the gurus here would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lots of general suggestions come to mind, but we won't have any idea what wines/grapes/regions will be age worthy until the end of year after harvest (and even then we probably won't know until a few years after. Regardless, your best bet is going with a larger format bottle of whatever you like (magnum of 3L) as the larger size usually slows the aging process.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Happy Birthday Scott!!! Hubby and I enjoyed meeting you and Jana after D&D...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mschauber wrote:I guess I'm the old one among us, mines being opened for my 50th b-day, but that's less than 12 years away

Scott, think the 2003 & 2004 will hold up until the summer of 2023?

PS: Any news on a '10 cathedral release date?

2010, Don't rush yourself. Let him release 08 and 09 before you start thinking about 2010!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
PhilSandifer wrote:Wine isn't a general case. Aged wine is more valuable, [snip].

I didn't invoke the general case Phil, rpm did. Take that up with him. I'll also note that the vast majority of wine decreases in value over time (but not well built cabs!).

It's also not fair to compare to a previous Woot price.

I'm sorry, that's absolutely the most fare thing one could do with wine being sold here. Understanding why prices have gone up (Amazon being a blood sucking leech and this being older now) and down (sales tax is now charged separately) are all valid factors to consider.

This is a great bottle of wine, and Scott and Jana are two of the nicest people you'll meet. But the QPR isn't so hot compared to previous offers of this same wine.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
CAGrl wrote:I might have to call Jana too. I might be heading up that way for the Vincent Arroyo open house on May 4th. Any chance you will be around? We might want to drop by and say hello.

Should be around. Give me a call before you come by. cell is (removed by mod)

Mod edit: send a PM with your phone #

ScottHarveyWines

rjquillin wrote:Pity that,'cause they really shine with some age on them. And agree on the '07. Really wish there were a few 750's or even a 375 to project when to pull corks on the mags and 3.0L Jana's. These may be something I never taste, but pass on the the kids and grands...

Only magnums and 3 liters of the 2007. We'll have to open one at the next RPM tour and see how it is aging.

ScottHarveyWines

mschauber wrote:I guess I'm the old one among us, mines being opened for my 50th b-day, but that's less than 12 years away

Scott, think the 2003 & 2004 will hold up until the summer of 2023?

PS: Any news on a '10 cathedral release date?

Yes the 03 and 04 will hold up and a release date on the 2010 will depend on bottle shock after I bottle it. It is scheduled to be bottled this summer.

ScottHarveyWines

North316 wrote:2010, Don't rush yourself. Let him release 08 and 09 before you start thinking about 2010!

There won't be any 08 and 09. Didn't make enough to bottle. We did enjoy them out of the barrel.

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
inazuma wrote:Folks,

I'm going to be a first time Daddy this year and want to buy my son wine from this year's vintage to give him as a present for his 21st Birthday. So I'll be waiting for a woot deal on a 2013 vintage. In any case, suggestions on what I should get that will keep that long (I'll have it in a wine cellar). I'm thinking something like this Jana, Corison, Ty Caton (TyTanium), a Wellington? Suggestions and comments from the gurus here would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I went with Corison Kronos magnums for my kids (the 2008 was just released so you'll be waiting a while for your little one).

Also have a 3L of Scott's Syrah for my youngest.

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
ScottHarveyWines wrote:There won't be any 08 and 09. Didn't make enough to bottle. We did enjoy them out of the barrel.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Only magnums and 3 liters of the 2007. We'll have to open one at the next RPM tour and see how it is aging.

You're on!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
rpm wrote:You're on!

More barrel tasting in the basement!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

The next RPM tour? And RPM says, "You're on!" WOO-HOO! Can't wait. Thanks, RPM. Looking forward to it in...2014?

AndDale2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndDale2

I've been away for awhile from the forums. Please, which forum do I follow so that I can get in on the next tour?

Thanks!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Had to place another order since I just realized that 2005 is our wedding year. So shoot. Even hubby's in for trying it at 10, 15, 20, etc.

brettstr42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brettstr42

Jana Cathedral Special Library (2)
Last wooter to woot:brettstr42
Last purchase:6 minutes ago

Woot! Excited for my 2nd Cathedral. Still have a bottle from my first well cellared. Gonna have to pick out a nice filet and [s]Cuban[/s] Dominican cigar for the night I open one of these up. Good Times.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

I'm really liking the sound of this. I'm in! When is Woopdedo gonna be taking deposits?

How has this not sold out!?

CT

SuzyGullett

quality posts: 5 Private Messages SuzyGullett

Silver medal is great! My favorite wine we've ever made (actually, Scott made it for us) was our 1994 Sangiovese, and it got all silver medals. It was my favorite when it was released, and it was still my favorite some 14 years later when we served it at a winemaker dinner. And, that includes several of our wines that have earned best of show, gold and double-gold medals.

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew

Always a pleasure to have you on Wine.Woot!

Happy Bday and I will stop by the house next week and celebrate!

Cheers,
Winedrew