creminellivanessa

quality posts: 9 Private Messages creminellivanessa
bhodilee wrote:A salt pack would do that just fine, rinse it off and good to go. I don't know what htey use, but could be that

Once cooked, it's vaccuum sealed. When we ship, it's in an insulated box with ice packs, shipped overnight via FedEx.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
thumperchick wrote:Precisely. Also, just because it's vegetarian doesn't make it good for them - feeding them nothing but GMO corn would be vegetarian.

For a great meat dish, fully prepared, I would consider this price range, but without knowing the company or expiration date or anything, I can't pull the trigger on something this expensive.

I ONLY eat GMO pigs fed GMO corn by people whose initials are GMO.

I will not rant against anti GMO, I will not rant against anti GMO,
I will not rant against anti GMO.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rlancaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlancaster

Great job on the responses, Vanessa. You've provided calm, informative answers to a lot of mindless, uninformed blathering.

I buy Creminelli salami every time I see them on Woot. Amazingly good stuff. I can only imagine how good the porchetta is.

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
creminellivanessa wrote:Thumper Chick - check out our website for some info. We pay more for our raw ingredients, especially the heritage Duroc pork because we don't think the antibiotics and hormones and caged-in living conditions of industrial pork makes for good salumi (which includes salumi, prossciutto, and cooked products like porchetta). Our products are Whole Foods approved and sold in high end shops around the country.

Cristiano, the salumi artisan, was also named one of America's Tastemakers by Bon Appetit magazine http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/tastemakers-2012

And we're recognized by Slow Food as a legit source of meat. Check it out and let us know what you think. vanessa@creminelli.com

Congrats to Christiano and thanks for coming to the forums to help clarify the offer.

While I won't be ordering, at least this time, I do think it sounds yummy and don't think the price sounds as outrageous as many. I read in the description that it was precooked and was from a heritage breed, so the price didn't really shock me. I've been wanting to try some Berkshire pork from a farm a few hours away, so I know I'll have to pay much more than grocery store prices to do so.

Keep up the great work and if I wasn't off to get some sleep before work tonight, I might slice off some of your salumi that I have in the fridge right now.

bhodilee

hayyim wrote:Just in time for Passover!

okay, that one made me laugh

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

ThunderThighs wrote:NEWS FLASH: No jelly included. That was the holiday offer.

So what you're saying...

bhodilee

creminellivanessa wrote:The porchetta is actually skin-on pork belly wrapped around marinated sirloin. The pork comes from heritage breed pigs raised without hormons and antibiotics, plus we don't we use any fillers or additives. It's just straight up delicious meat that's roasted in ovens designed by Italians specifically for porchetta. Ready to eat. You can slice it up and make the best sandwiches. Or just reheat in the oven and get the crackling going. Delicious.

You should sell time shares in your factory/warehouse/kitchen/whatever it is. Basically, if you open a bed and breakfast I'm buying a permanent room.

thumperchick

quality posts: 247 Private Messages thumperchick
creminellivanessa wrote:a lot of helpful answers

Great! Thanks for popping in here. I'll talk to the other half, if he's in, I'm in.

creminellivanessa

bhodilee wrote:You should sell time shares in your factory/warehouse/kitchen/whatever it is. Basically, if you open a bed and breakfast I'm buying a permanent room.

Lol, now THAT's an idea. Pork-centric B&B. Kinda dig it!

dtumd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtumd
thumperchick wrote:That is the first logical reason I've heard for the practices origins. Thanks.

agreed, thanks!! though as you say that is probably not usually the case any more.

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom

Someone asked for a Porchetta recipe -- I've made one adapted from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook. If you google "mock porchetta", you'll get a lot of people talking about making the recipe, which uses pork shoulder. I made it once, it was pretty good, but maybe not as good as it should have been for the amount of time it took to make it. So I definitely see the value of a ready-made product that starts with good ingredients, which the Creminelli offering looks to be. Not ordering, though -- after one autumn's flirtation with various approaches to pork shoulder roasts, my internist threatened to put me on cholesterol meds -- haven't made one since! (Just don't ask me how many times I ate pernil last week in Puerto Rico!)

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:Someone asked for a Porchetta recipe -- I've made one adapted from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook. If you google "mock porchetta", you'll get a lot of people talking about making the recipe, which uses pork shoulder. I made it once, it was pretty good, but maybe not as good as it should have been for the amount of time it took to make it. So I definitely see the value of a ready-made product that starts with good ingredients, which the Creminelli offering looks to be. Not ordering, though -- after one autumn's flirtation with various approaches to pork shoulder roasts, my internist threatened to put me on cholesterol meds -- haven't made one since! (Just don't ask me how many times I ate pernil last week in Puerto Rico!)

can we guess? I'll go with 6

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:can we guess? I'll go with 6

No, literally, don't ask me, I have no idea!

OK twist my arm, I'm eating a salad at my desk, may as well bring a little sunshine into an otherwise drab day.
1. Medianoche sandwich - typical Puerto Rican pressed/grilled sandwich, with pernil, ham, cheese.
2. Pernil dinner (w/ sides of rice and beans). Shared that, along with a honey-glazed spare-rib dinner. Each wonderful in its own way.
3. Pernil sandwich. From the same place we had the pernil for dinner the night before.
4. 1/2 lb of pernil in a take-out container from a dive near the airport, which we split on the flight home. Later for you, Delta, with your sickly little, ham-and-cheese sandwich!

Wait, really? Just four times? That doesn't sound right. Oh well, we weren't there that long, and there was a lot of good fish to eat. Drank lots of beer and rum drinks, only one bottle of wine (at a "fancy" place, about which the less said, the better).

Oh, and about your GMO comment? You are an idiot, and I mean that in the best sense of the word. Please never stop posting here, I would cry if you did.

ztoolman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ztoolman

Who Trusts Felix?? This is wine WOOT. Put this on pig WOOT

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
jkarczmit wrote:Nah, not weird at all. I've bought $80 hams online for the holidays until a good place opened near me. They send overnight in a cooler with dry ice or ice packs. In fact, Creminelli is an awesome company. Bought their sausages on Woot many times. Bought from them directly as well. They even have little specials for people on their email list that no one else gets. Solid company, and not weird shipping expensive meat.

No, I meant a bad joke!
Look, I have ordered farm raised tuna from a company based in Hawaii that farms them in a huge open water area. I've also been gifted numerous meat products that have the dry ice packaging. I'm guessing that this offer, being pre-cooked, doesn't need near the care as the raw meat products. I have not dealt with this particular company, but trust the Wine Woot team on vetting for a quality product and good shipping. If I still lived in the little mid western town where I grew up, I can see this being an interesting offer. But since I now live in a "hot bed of artisial" it doesn't tempt me. But you have to be able to bring yourself low enough to think of at least a couple bad jokes using "an $80 piece of meat from the internet", right?

InFrom

yorknh wrote:Not to single this out, but why is it that this isn't being moderated into oblivion? When I commented on my distaste for reality shows when a reality show "star" winemaker had a wine up for sale, multiple posts were deleted? The reason cited was my opinion wasn't pertinent to the product being offered.

It might be something related to being somewhat dismissive of the winemaker (not that I thought his performance on the woot board was particularly impressive) on grounds not relevant to the quality of his wine, but rather on his TV career. (If I'm remembering that conversation correctly.) While bowtie's comment is at least pork-related, and doesn't take issue with the porkmaker for activites irrelevant to the porkmaking. Or something like that.

Edit: nvm?

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

My mother was born and raised in Rome, Italy and I remember when I was a little sprout (a long time ago) visiting my grandparents in Rome and you could buy porchetta from a cart in the street all over town. The roll was huge and they would slice some off and put it on a piece of bread. In the last few visits in recent years I don't remember seeing the carts but you can of course get it in a restaurant.

I am in for one and since winewoot! doesn't deliver to Poland, it will go to my sister as she and her husband love porchetta. Good porchetta is hard to find in the US and since I have sent them Creminelli salami from woot! and they liked it, I am sure they will like this.

My dogs like me, that is important.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
InFrom wrote:It might be something related to being somewhat dismissive of the winemaker (not that I thought his performance on the woot board was particularly impressive) on grounds not relevant to the quality of his wine, but rather on his TV career. (If I'm remembering that conversation correctly.) While bowtie's comment is at least pork-related, and doesn't take issue with the porkmaker for activites irrelevant to the porkmaking. Or something like that.

Yeah, nevermind. I misread the post I quoted and upon rereading, it wasn't quite the example I had intended.

And for the record, I was not dismissive of the winemaker, in fact I made a point of saying I had no opinion of him personally.

InFrom

yorknh wrote:Yeah, nevermind. I misread the post I quoted and upon rereading, it wasn't quite the example I had intended.

And for the record, I was not dismissive of the winemaker, in fact I made a point of saying I had no opinion of him personally.

OK, I stand corrected.

CeruleanDragon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CeruleanDragon

Underwood Chicken Spread! I used to love that stuff...

Riari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Riari
ztoolman wrote:Who Trusts Felix?? This is wine WOOT. Put this on pig WOOT

Never been here on Thursdays before have you?

Thanks to Creminelli to coming in here and replying respectfully and enthusiastically to all the people ragging on this. I've never had this, and I certainly can't afford it currently, but it certainly sounds delicious.

creminellivanessa

Riari wrote:Never been here on Thursdays before have you?

Thanks to Creminelli to coming in here and replying respectfully and enthusiastically to all the people ragging on this. I've never had this, and I certainly can't afford it currently, but it certainly sounds delicious.

It's our pleasure. Hopefully one day you can try out the porchetta. Thanks for the kind words. Happy eating!

thumperchick

Bummer, have to pass this time. But thank you again for coming in and answering all of our inane inquiries and commentary.

thumperchick

bhodilee wrote:I will not rant against anti GMO, I will not rant against anti GMO,
I will not rant against anti GMO.

Good, then there won't be a GMO debate on a thread for pig meat.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Riari wrote:Never been here on Thursdays before have you?

seconded. thanks as always to our insiders.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:It might be something related to being somewhat dismissive of the winemaker (not that I thought his performance on the woot board was particularly impressive) on grounds not relevant to the quality of his wine, but rather on his TV career. (If I'm remembering that conversation correctly.) While bowtie's comment is at least pork-related, and doesn't take issue with the porkmaker for activites irrelevant to the porkmaking. Or something like that.

Plus I'm friggin awesome, I got the mods running scared, and I actually know a little bit about genetics? Something like that.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
creminellivanessa wrote:It's our pleasure. Hopefully one day you can try out the porchetta. Thanks for the kind words. Happy eating!

Thanks for answering my question earlier. Someone else said it (sorry i can't look up your name right now) but it's always nice to have the insider comments, thanks for hanging out and answering questions all day

bhodilee

thumperchick wrote:Good, then there won't be a GMO debate on a thread for pig meat.

a pig with only one belly, since it wasn't fed GMO foods! Cause ya know, Mark Lynas said it's bad.....oh wait

SCIENCE FTW!!!!

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808
bpr2 wrote:Ham is usually a traditional Easter meal. It used to be rabbit, but the amount of kids thinking they were eating the easter rabbit put an end to that, so they switched to ham.

If you want to believe that, OK.
It's really a way of celebrating the fact that you're a Christian now, and no longer subject Jewish/Kosher dietary restrictions.

InFrom

thumperchick wrote:Good, then there won't be a GMO debate on a thread for pig meat.

In case you hadn't already noticed, wine.wooters are perfectly capable of having fine GMO debates, sometimes in the space of a single post...

bhodilee wrote:a pig with only one belly, since it wasn't fed GMO foods! Cause ya know, Mark Lynas said it's bad.....oh wait

SCIENCE FTW!!!!

bhodilee

mike808 wrote:If you want to believe that, OK.
It's really a way of celebrating the fact that you're a Christian now, and no longer subject Jewish/Kosher dietary restrictions.

I thought it was cause Jesus liked ham?

I love the internet, I truly do. According to allaboutjesuschrist.org (this delights me that this site exists) it was cause some Nimrod's Motherwife's sunray baby got killed by a boar so she went into 40 days of mourning (lent) and you have to eat a pig cause it killed her sunray baby and the whole darn thing is apparently the work of the debbil (I can't tell if they're serious about that). Regardless, not a fan of ham, I'm having Polish Sausage.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
mike808 wrote:If you want to believe that, OK.

And here I am not ordering because it wouldn't be here in time for a Seder... ;)

(BTW To clarify my earlier comment re:price, I thought only the belly was heritage breed. If the entire thing is heritage, I'll bet half that cost went into it in just the raw pork...)

thumperchick

bhodilee wrote:a pig with only one belly, since it wasn't fed GMO foods! Cause ya know, Mark Lynas said it's bad.....oh wait

SCIENCE FTW!!!!

So far the science does tend toward GM food being safe for human consumption. Agreed. That isn't the main reason for my issue with GMO. Economics, monopolies, unfair agricultural legislation protecting the main companies that produce GMO's - those are real problems.
ECONOMICS FTW.

I'll digress to those more eloquent than I.

bhodilee

thumperchick wrote:So far the science does tend toward GM food being safe for human consumption. Agreed. That isn't the main reason for my issue with GMO. Economics, monopolies, unfair agricultural legislation protecting the main companies that produce GMO's - those are real problems.
ECONOMICS FTW.

I'll digress to those more eloquent than I.

I fell asleep like two sentences in when it seemed like the author claims these companies shouldn't rigorously defend their patents, Which is patently absurd. You pay for R&D through profits. Grants are nice but they're not free money. You have to have cash or in kind matching and you get in kind matching by paying people, which you do through profits, which you do by rigorously defending your patents.

Understanding the scientific process FTW!

thumperchick

bhodilee wrote:I fell asleep like two sentences in when it seemed like the author claims these companies shouldn't rigorously defend their patents...*snip*

Refusing to understand the opposition doesn't make you right by default.
Open discourse FT... eh. Doesn't matter; you have no interest in actual debate or understanding that this issue goes beyond one or two topics.

bhodilee

thumperchick wrote:Refusing to understand the opposition doesn't make you right by default.
Open discourse FT... eh. Doesn't matter; you have no interest in actual debate or understanding that this issue goes beyond one or two topics.

I feel like no matter what argument I set forth the opposition will continue grasping at straws to try and prove their point. And I'm not sure how this issue goes beyond ONE topic? Is GMO food safe to consume? Yes. Does GMO food have the potential to feed the population of the planet on less ground, while consuming less water and needing less fertilizer and pesticide? Yes. Meanwhile, how many people who would otherwise be alive are dead in parts of Asia and Africa because their governments bought the hippie hype and outlawed GMO food for no reason? Lots.

All the other stuff is incidental.

Companies need to make money to survive and do research. You do that by aggressively protecting your patents. Mr. small farmer (who trust me, I know a Bing, Bing, BING!ton of small farmers, like a literal Bing, Bing, BING!ton, and unless you farm under 100 acres of dryland you're doing JUST fine with commodity prices where they are), isn't getting screwed because he can't keep back corn/beans and replant the seeds next year. When you buy the seeds you know going into it that the seed company prohibits you from doing so, it's not like it gets sprung on them. You violate the terms of service, you get caught, you get in trouble. This is a simple concept. Or do you think it's ok for the Chinese to reverse engineer software, or create knockoff apparel? All industries protect their patents, it's the way it works. I'm way to tired to go into more detail, but from an "economics" standpoint we're not going to agree and from a science standpoint, apparently we DO agree and since I like science and care little about anything else, I don't care about the other aspects of the issue.