Cesare

quality posts: 1695 Private Messages Cesare

Wellington 2010 Roussanne, Sonoma County 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶2̶.̶5̶5̶ 47% off List Price
2010 Roussanne, Sonoma County

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Cesare wrote:Wellington Roussanne, Sonoma County (4)

I'm around if anyone has questions.

Peter Wellington

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm around if anyone has questions.

Peter Wellington

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/wellington-2010-roussanne-sonoma-county

Expert Reviews

by Steve Heimoff
A little one dimensional, but it’s a polished wine that’s nice for drinking now. The ripe orange, tropical fruit, cashew butter and spice flavors are wrapped into a creamy texture.
— (9/1/2012) — 87

sounds like a different flavor profile?

alfisti13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alfisti13

Peter Wellington

Peter,your wines constitute an auto-buy from my perspective. In for 3 but wish they would last a bit longer in the cellar...

Always wonderful to see your offerings in a place where so many would normally not have the opportunity to try your magnificent juice.

All the very best,
Jim in Houston

We have been in many wine libraries with no books, yet so very much to learn...

MarkyMayhem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarkyMayhem

Peter Wellington

that's service! ... I would like to ask if my wife will like it. But, you do not know my wife.

So, I would like to know why a winery decides to put their product on Woot, from the wineries POV.

I will admit to repeat wine buys on Woot! of ones that I like ....

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

Kyle, this was your request.

CT

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

This was one of the 12 wine tasting I did for my wife's birthday and her friends. Went a little under the radar, but on reflection I really enjoyed it a lot. Was really well balanced - I feel the description here is fairly accurate.

Edit: and in for 2

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

yummm!!!!

SonomaBouliste

andreaserben wrote:http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/wellington-2010-roussanne-sonoma-county
sounds like a different flavor profile?

I agree with most of his description. Roussanne does have a very seductive texture. "Tropical fruit" could mean a lot of different things, but I find our Rousssanne to be reminiscent of lychee and citrus with an intriguing floral aspect that can be almost decadent, like begonias.

SonomaBouliste

MarkyMayhem wrote:that's service! ... I would like to ask if my wife will like it. But, you do not know my wife.

So, I would like to know why a winery decides to put their product on Woot, from the wineries POV.

Well, the primary reason (and the secondary reason if one exists) is to sell wine.

I will admit to repeat wine buys on Woot! of ones that I like ....

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

I picked up the '07 Victory and Karren Cab recently. I am setting the two Victorys/Victories? and cabs away for the foreseeable future. That leaves me with one Cabernet I would like to get into within a year.

What would be "ideal" in your opinion for decant time. Should I just have glasses over a few days and find out for myself, open it the night before intending to have it with dinner, anything? I don't care if I have to put it in a decanter for days if it would positively impact the wine.

MarkyMayhem

SonomaBouliste wrote:

Well that was a good enough response for me, Mr. Wellington!

Bought this deal ...

But now tell me the truth. I bet is is one of your computer-savy kids handling this techno marketing excursion, while you and the wifey are kicking it on the couch with TV shows.

(and yes, if you holler at the kid to see if I really bought, he can confirm it)

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Was in Napa last week visiting friends. While there we took a quick trip over to Sonoma to visit the famous Wellington tasting room.
Great wines, fantastic folks.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
SonomaBouliste wrote:I agree with most of his description. Roussanne does have a very seductive texture. "Tropical fruit" could mean a lot of different things, but I find our Rousssanne to be reminiscent of lychee and citrus with an intriguing floral aspect that can be almost decadent, like begonias.

Peter this is a wonderful bottle. Got one in a club shipment, and wasn't sure what it was. PnP and and both SWMBO I were believers. Very easy to polish off a bottle and not even realize it. Grabbed two woots last time it was up.
Thanks, and sorry we missed you after D&D.

CT

SonomaBouliste

keithnowak7 wrote:I picked up the '07 Victory and Karren Cab recently. I am setting the two Victorys/Victories? and cabs away for the foreseeable future. That leaves me with one Cabernet I would like to get into within a year.

What would be "ideal" in your opinion for decant time. Should I just have glasses over a few days and find out for myself, open it the night before intending to have it with dinner, anything? I don't care if I have to put it in a decanter for days if it would positively impact the wine.

Please don't put it in a decanter for days! Whether to decant and for how long isn't a straightforward proposition. A couple of qualifying variables are with what food? and your taste experience / preferences.
I had the '07 Karren with dinner a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed the way it opened up and developed during the course of the meal. If you're in the practice of decanting I'd say half an hour to an hour, with some splashing as you pour.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

This is delightful; and so nice to see here because I just gave my daughter my last bottle!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

SonomaBouliste

MarkyMayhem wrote:Well that was a good enough response for me, Mr. Wellington!

Bought this deal ...

But now tell me the truth. I bet is is one of your computer-savy kids handling this techno marketing excursion, while you and the wifey are kicking it on the couch with TV shows.

(and yes, if you holler at the kid to see if I really bought, he can confirm it)

Both my daughters involvement in the tech world is pretty much limited to social media & music.

Wifey is hiking in Utah.

I'm getting ready to start dinner for one daughter & myself.

AND crack open a bottle of an old Cabernet from before my entry into winemaking.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Kyle, this was your request.

I'm SOOOOOO unbelievably over budget. Summer's coming. In for one.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

No room, no $, but the 2009 was great juice. I might help a fellow wooter out with a bottle or two but can't go in.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:No room, no $, but the 2009 was great juice. I might help a fellow wooter out with a bottle or two but can't go in.

If it comes by the 30th, I'll bring you 2 ($35). If not, I can hold them until later or drink them myself...

MarkyMayhem

SonomaBouliste wrote:Both my daughters involvement in the tech world is pretty much limited to social media & music.

Wifey is hiking in Utah.

I'm getting ready to start dinner for one daughter & myself.

AND crack open a bottle of an old Cabernet from before my entry into winemaking.

Cheers Mr. Wellington!
I look forward to trying your wine. ... and I promise not to leave it in a decanter ;)

... he can cook ... he can make wine ... I hope your daughter is taking notes !

kylemittskus

Peter, I remember a couple years ago you dug out either a bottle of this or your Marsanne and were surprised by how well it had aged. Do you remember the specifics of what I'm talking about? These will likely be consumed this summer, but what do you think about longevity?

andreaserben

SonomaBouliste wrote:I agree with most of his description. Roussanne does have a very seductive texture. "Tropical fruit" could mean a lot of different things, but I find our Rousssanne to be reminiscent of lychee and citrus with an intriguing floral aspect that can be almost decadent, like begonias.

Thanks - bought a pack right after reading it

SonomaBouliste

kylemittskus wrote:Peter, I remember a couple years ago you dug out either a bottle of this or your Marsanne and were surprised by how well it had aged. Do you remember the specifics of what I'm talking about? These will likely be consumed this summer, but what do you think about longevity?

I think you need a long track record with any given vineyard(s) to gaurantee ageability, but Roussanne does seem to have a surprising capacity to age well.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7
SonomaBouliste wrote:Response

I won't do days (and never have!), but reading these forums I am definitely in the practice of decanting. I am almost afraid to pop and pour a bottle of anything due to how many people love cellaring wooted bottles and immediately ask drinking windows. Add to that the wine--although you said it was most approachable of the recent Karren cabs--is usually meant to age and I was thinking I needed to really give it time.

Thanks. I will get to it in a few months and not over decant. Since I never got to try one of your Roussannes, I bit on this offering. Speaking of why I did not, how long should I keep one of the mistakenly-shipped 2009 Marsannes to get that aged honey notes you mentioned that it can take on.

Edit: I took my sweet time writing that, and there was already a mention of Marsanne.

andreaserben

-removed-

SonomaBouliste

keithnowak7 wrote:I won't do days (and never have!), but reading these forums I am definitely in the practice of decanting. I am almost afraid to pop and pour a bottle of anything due to how many people love cellaring wooted bottles and immediately ask drinking windows. Add to that the wine--although you said it was most approachable of the recent Karren cabs--is usually meant to age and I was thinking I needed to really give it time.

Thanks. I will get to it in a few months and not over decant. Since I never got to try one of your Roussannes, I bit on this offering. Speaking of why I did not, how long should I keep one of the mistakenly-shipped 2009 Marsannes to get that aged honey notes you mentioned that it can take on.

Edit: I took my sweet time writing that, and there was already a mention of Marsanne.

Again, the tricky aspect of predicting ageability and development. I would guess (and it is a guess) the 2009 Marsanne might be in that zone within a year or so.

MarkyMayhem

I think I will avoid my lite-hearted banter next time. and leave the serious discussion to wine conouseurs ,,,

Wino-Maryayhem

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

These WERE the whites I was looking for, damnit!

Maybe someone got some extras...

MarkyMayhem

mother wrote:These WERE the whites I was looking for, damnit!

Maybe someone got some extras...

hmmm ... you have a purple head and very shot legs ...

could I have a better picture of the person I might share some with??

penfoldhamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penfoldhamster

Peter Wellington

Wife and I will be visiting the tasting room this weekend. Looking forward to picking up some port and seeing what else you have to taste.