Himalayan Salt Cooking Tile & Canvas Bag
$29.99 $̶4̶9̶.̶9̶9̶ 40% off List Price

Website

Previous offer:
2/21/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin

Anyone used this? Does it make the food too salty?

valcich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valcich

I have one of these. It's awesome. I put it on the gas burner on medium for about 15 minutes. Then I take a slab of ahi tuna and hit it for 2 minutes on either side. Comes out fantastic.

One note: once you use it for cooking, you're not supposed to use it for cold presentation (which I've never done).

valcich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valcich

I have one of these. It's awesome. I put it on the gas burner on medium for about 15 minutes. Then I take a slab of ahi tuna and hit it for 2 minutes on either side. Comes out fantastic.

One note: once you use it for cooking, you're not supposed to use it for cold presentation (which I've never done).

aparow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aparow

I've wanted to buy one of these for a long time! The price is about 5$ cheaper (so the same as other websites if you haven't unlocked free shipping yet) and the included bag is a plus! Thanks Woot!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Just received 2 I bought a few weeks back, Important to read up on use, Found out NOT to heat in an oven even though some sites state you can, it will explode, I got a big ol Ribeye ready to use these on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSs1NOJKNQ

sizzean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sizzean

Same price at Williams-Sonoma for a bigger block.

Free shipping over $49.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/himalayan-salt-plate/

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue

yeah, i've never found these salt blocks a very good deal. chef central in NY has these for the same price if not cheaper. think i saw them at sur la table and williams sonomo as well.

while i think they're very cool and wouldn't mind purchasing at some point, the price point has just never been there for me.

it also kind of feels like these will be on the shelves of Home Goods by next year for half the price.. just my 2 cents..

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

I got mine a couple weeks back. Heated on gas stove over about 30 minutes, slowly turning the heat up to avoid cracking(supposedly only important to heat extra slow the first few times). I cooked some thin strip steak on the block and it was delicious! The steak cooks in 20 or 30 seconds a side when block is heated to about 75% of your gas range's max temp.

As too the saltiness, the food gets more and more salty the more you cook on this block in any one session, so the first 2 or 3 sets of steaks I made in one night had a typical "American Salty" level of salt. So if you are not a big fan of salt, then it might be too much for you. After the juice from the food covers the surface of the block, the food will get extremely salty! For thicker steaks this isn't a problem, for thin meats, the salt levels get pretty high.

Still, I think it's a great thing to have for cooking. I love using it, and once the salt flavor gets too strong I just wipe off the surface before I cook the next set of steaks.

seanneff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seanneff
pitamuffin wrote:Anyone used this? Does it make the food too salty?

I ordered this item a couple of weeks back, and I used it for the first time a week ago. Since I have an electric stove, I used the ring from a springform pan to hold it over the burner and gradually heat it up.

I was perhaps paranoid about cracking it, so I took around 45 minutes of slowly raising the heat before cooking some scallops and cod on it. They weren't too salty at all -- just right, in fact.

From what I've read, if you don't have the salt block hot enough, food can end up too salty. My infrared thermometer topped out at 350 degrees, so I know I got the salt hotter than that -- I'm guessing between 400-450 degrees. At that temperature, between the heat and the weight of the block, the top of my stove around that burner was noticeably sagging, but once the weight was removed and it cooled down, everything was back to normal.

It's a fun but not terribly practical method of cooking, given how much time you need to preheat the slab. But for sheer dramatic presentation, it's great! I just left it on the stovetop as I cooked, but you could carefully move it to something very heatproof tableside and do an impressive cooking performance for your guests. I wish I had known about this when I was a single man...

norriscr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norriscr

Yikes! I got my 8x8x2" for $18 on Amazon: http://goo.gl/eJALk With prime shipping was free and mine is an extra 1/2' thick.

This seems like one heck of a markup.

JNova20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JNova20

The more moist the food is to begin with, the more salt-taste transfers to the food. But the trick to using the salt slab is to get the thing screaming hot and put very thin-cut pieces of meat on it, so that it cooks very quickly, thereby reducing the amount of salt that transfers to the food.
I Love mine, it really is a cool way to cook food, and no additional seasoning is really needed when using it!

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
norriscr wrote:Yikes! I got my 8x8x2" for $18 on Amazon: http://goo.gl/eJALk With prime shipping was free and mine is an extra 1/2' thick.

Talk about a mark-up...I just took a look at the site you cited (nice play on words, eh?) If you don't pay for Google Prime, they charge you more to ship the thing — $26.97 — that to buy it...ya don't think there's a bit of mark-up in those shipping costs?

Rev.SpongeBobSP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rev.SpongeBobSP

Not to salty, but you need to remember it is a salt block, so do not use ANY salt before placing your food on it. I have had mine for about 5 years and love it. Not something you obviously use daily, but worth the investment if you are a foodie. I heat mine in the oven for about an hour while I prep the meats into thin slices, and the veggies, then pull it out and gently cook the food and eat it within a few minutes right off the block.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal
sizzean wrote:Same price at Williams-Sonoma for a bigger block.

Free shipping over $49.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/himalayan-salt-plate/

Thanks, great spot!

kayakheather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayakheather

Was eyeing it on that site but only see that size for $ 19.99 + $27.50 to ship. I have prime but no mention of it being eligable. Wonder if they changed it?

norriscr wrote:Yikes! I got my 8x8x2" for $18 on Amazon: http://goo.gl/eJALk With prime shipping was free and mine is an extra 1/2' thick.

zathras289

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zathras289

I ordered one of these and finally received it on Friday. After researching how to cook with it online, because the "instruction manual" that came with it provided no instructions for cooking with it, I decided to hear it in the oven to cook some salmon on. Salt block go BOOM!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

zathras289 wrote:I ordered one of these and finally received it on Friday. After researching how to cook with it online, because the "instruction manual" that came with it provided no instructions for cooking with it, I decided to hear it in the oven to cook some salmon on. Salt block go BOOM!

Uhm, it shouldn't do that. Our Features suggests 350 degree oven.

Email support@woot.com and see if they have some options for you.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders