$57.99 $̶1̶1̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 48% off List Price
2005 Pavi Napa Valley Dolcetto

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/16/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

First Sucker. Hope these are better than the sole CT score. Bought to try a new varietal. Hope I won't have to ask for refunds if these are bad (however you describe the word bad).

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Pavi 2005 Dolcetto, Napa Valley

This will be a bit sketchy, as this is a new varietal for me so I had no idea what to expect. My reading on this suggested it is a light fruity wine, normally consumed young, within three years of vintage, clearly this 2005 is well beyond that and is heavier in body, displaying some age in it's profile while retaining some fruitiness.

Appearance; Clear medium garnet, quickly forming long thin legs.
Aroma; moderate intensity, a bit of barnyard dissipating after ~30 minutes or so resolving to cassis, aged fruit, stewed fruit, a bit of nuttiness and some alcohol as it warms.
Taste; bone dry with medium body, fruity entry, a bit of an edge mid palate, adequate acid to balance the fruit. There is a pleasant woody resinous note to the finish, not clearly cedar or oak, nor really tannic. Perhaps a touch of bitter almond, not objectionably so, in the medium finish.

This is a pleasant wine that did much better with my bread, tapenade, cheese plate and pizza of last night than the CB&C of this evening. Better as it warmed from 55F to 65F, but fading at 70F. Being eight years past vintage, this seems to defy the 'drink young' tradition of Italian Dolcetto; perhaps because it's a heavier CA style. I tend to prefer aged wine to those fresh out of the barrel, so after the initial funk dissipated, this was an enjoyable bottle and I still have enough to see how it evolves over another day or so. Didn't get the opportunity to pass this one around like I generally do; shared only with two Japanese (Moscato) females and certainly not sweet-tooth SWMBO approved. Would seriously consider if in the < $15 range.

CT

rjquillin

jimjacks66 wrote:First Sucker. Hope these are better than the sole CT score. Bought to try a new varietal. Hope I won't have to ask for refunds if these are bad (however you describe the word bad).

Worry not, that is but an anomaly.

CT

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
rjquillin wrote:Worry not, that is but an anonymity.

Excellent point. I will trust the rjquillin judgment on this.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

I had this strange dream the other day.... I was playing the original Super Mario Bros in an arcade with diamond encrusted gold-plated walls, on a screen the size of a highway billboard. After I successfully rescued the Princess from Bowser, a portal opened up to reveal a lighted soundstage. Rush was performing Red Barchetta but Geddy Lee changed the lyrics to "Red Dolcetto". Alex Lifeson's guitar was made of glass and shaped like a wine bottle. Neil Peart's drumset was made of wine barrels.

I shook my head in disbelief as if Kate Upton had just invited me on a motorboat ride. As the violent shaking of my head caused me to awake, spraying spittle from wall to wall, a flash of light hit the floor in front of me followed by a puff of smoke. I squinted, then blinked as I saw before me a bottle of wine. A bottle of 2005 Pavi Dolcetto, to be exact.

"What in the...." I exclaimed aloud, before realizing that the dream had portended this very moment. The diamond encrusted gold-plated walls foretelling a wine-tasting golden ticket and representing luxurious Californian excess. Mario the plumber paying homage to the Dolcetto grape's Italian heritage. Rush hammering home the message with cryptic lyrics and wine-themed musical instruments.

It all made sense now. My entire life up to this point had been lived for the sole purpose of reaching this moment.

Trembling, I break the neck off the bottle eager to get at what's inside. I raise the broken bottle to my lips before pausing to realize that I'm about to inadvertently slash my own face off in my unbridled enthusiasm.

Taking a deep breath, I regain my composure and decide to go about this properly;

PnP. Deep Purple in the glass. There is some funk on the nose initially but it blows off quickly. Fruity but dry. Mostly dark fruits - black cherry, plum, boysenberry. A little vanilla and a touch of anise. Moderate oak and tannins, they have probably mellowed a bit with time in the bottle. The tannins seem slightly astringent. Mild bitterness on the finish but not unpleasant. This is drinking very well right now and should hold for another 2-3 years. Still, I would drink sooner rather than later.

EDIT: This wine paired wonderfully with some Sea Hive cheese.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 17th.

There has been a lot of recent activity in the "looking for helping hands" threads. Anyone willing to put a stake in the ground and spend some time talking it up with friends? Time to get a move on!

March
3/22: Minnesota #20: Visitors from Afar
3/23: NorCal Vintage Merlot
3/30: SoCal #24: Aged Zins
3/30: Atlanta #1

April
4/6: Colorado #?
4/6: Missouri: Jefferson City
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner

May
5/4: NorCal: Vincent Arroyo Open House

June
TBD: NorCal Bordeaux Tasting

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
chipgreen wrote:I had this strange dream the other day.... I was playing the original Super Mario Bros in an arcade with diamond encrusted gold-plated walls, on a screen the size of a highway billboard. After I successfully rescued the Princess from Bowser, a portal opened up to reveal a lighted soundstage. Rush was performing Red Barchetta but Geddy Lee changed the lyrics to "Red Dolcetto". Alex Lifeson's guitar was made of glass and shaped like a wine bottle. Neil Peart's drumset was made of wine barrels.

I shook my head in disbelief as if Kate Upton had just invited me on a motorboat ride. As the violent shaking of my head caused me to awake, spraying spittle from wall to wall, a flash of light hit the floor in front of me followed by a puff of smoke. I squinted, then blinked as I saw before me a bottle of wine. A bottle of 2005 Pavi Dolcetto, to be exact.

"What in the...." I exclaimed aloud, before realizing that the dream had portended this very moment. The diamond encrusted gold-plated walls foretelling a wine-tasting golden ticket and representing luxurious Californian excess. Mario the plumber paying homage to the Dolcetto grape's Italian heritage. Rush hammering home the message with cryptic lyrics and wine-themed musical instruments.

It all made sense now. My entire life up to this point had been lived for the sole purpose of reaching this moment.

Trembling, I break the neck off the bottle eager to get at what's inside. I raise the broken bottle to my lips before pausing to realize that I'm about to inadvertently slash my own face off in my unbridled enthusiasm.

Was this written before or after consuming the wine, and if after, are such trips a feature of this wine or something else you were on? ;-)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
chipgreen wrote:I had this strange dream the other day...

Any dream involving both Rush and Kate Upton will play well with me. This one layers pleasant fruitiness with dry humor, and a lingering smirk on the finish. Pair with a nice cup of green tea. Score 91. Consume before midnight central time.

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

A lot of good info in the previous offer link in the first post. Including winery participation.

Its also worth noting the minor price reduction beyond the tax break out from the last time this was offered. Roughly a dollar a bottle less.

CT

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew

Morning all!

Dolchetto is one of my favorite varietals. This wine is well made by Rob who happens to be a fantastic winemaker.

Dolchetto means little sweet one in Italian but I find this wine does it for me in the glass.

I am very fond of this wine like I am for a Scott Harvey Barbera.

Really goes well with my grilled pork chops!

Best,
Winedrew

rjquillin

winedrew wrote:Morning all!

Dolchetto is one of my favorite varietals. This wine is well made by Rob who happens to be a fantastic winemaker.

Dolchetto means little sweet one in Italian but I find this wine does it for me in the glass.

Best,
Winedrew

Drew,
Your thoughts as to why this doesn't appear to be a drink-now, within a couple of years of vintage, seemingly as are it's Italian brethren?

CT

robpaviwines

quality posts: 5 Private Messages robpaviwines

Its true that for some dolcetto they are consumed very early and made in a lighter style. some others will have some good age potential ie Sandrone.
We try to make ours with a more structure and extraction so it can age longer.
We love how this wine has evolved and brings you right back to the hills of Piemonte

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...glad to see this one back up here. Unexpected varietals like Dolcetto are fun to share at dinner with friends... and this one is definitely appropriate for the dinner table. My notes from last time: "an interesting, light-bodied glass of wine. Gentle red fruit with a subtle smokiness. A very pleasant, easy-drinker, begging for a light meat dish or some mushroom risotto."

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
rjquillin wrote:Drew,
Your thoughts as to why this doesn't appear to be a drink-now, within a couple of years of vintage, seemingly as are it's Italian brethren?

This wine was built to last with great structure, balanced fruit and good ph. These grapes are grown in Oakville and I think its safe to say that we all know how cabernet does from this AVA. The dirt from Piedmonte can make some incredible wines that can age but it comes down to what the winemaker is trying to accomplish.

Most Italians drink dolcetto young but some can be drank over time. Sparkling dolcetto is especially delicious.

chipgreen

cmaldoon wrote:Was this written before or after consuming the wine, and if after, are such trips a feature of this wine or something else you were on? ;-)

It's all a blur to me now...

chipgreen

moondigger wrote:Any dream involving both Rush and Kate Upton will play well with me. This one layers pleasant fruitiness with dry humor, and a lingering smirk on the finish. Pair with a nice cup of green tea. Score 91. Consume before midnight central time.

The label says DRINK ME

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 31 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I dunno...

It doesn't say if it goes good with Pop Tarts or Screaming Yellow Zonkers....

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
winedrew wrote:Morning all!

Best,
Winedrew

"Dolchetto" is your favorite?

rjquillin

Sipping on the Pavi some more tonight, and liking it.

Any of the LA contingent want to split this? Just not sure I want all four.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
kaolis wrote:"Dolchetto" is your favorite?

The WD family isn't known for their spelling or grammar skills.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:I had this strange dream the other day.... I was playing the original Super Mario Bros in an arcade with diamond encrusted gold-plated walls, on a screen the size of a highway billboard. After I successfully rescued the Princess from Bowser, a portal opened up to reveal a lighted soundstage. Rush was performing Red Barchetta but Geddy Lee changed the lyrics to "Red Dolcetto". Alex Lifeson's guitar was made of glass and shaped like a wine bottle. Neil Peart's drumset was made of wine barrels.

Love it. Rush is a favourite, especially being from my neck of the woods.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Sipping on the Pavi some more tonight, and liking it.

Any of the LA contingent want to split this? Just not sure I want all four.

For $15 I could be convinced to try a bottle.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT