Winter's Hill 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 6-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶4̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

Batters up Kyle.

CT

empapel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages empapel

Anyone know if this is a corked wine or a twist-off?

sarcasm, geeks & microsoft humor
http://2tothe5th.com

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
empapel wrote:Anyone know if this is a corked wine or a twist-off?

"Does it matter," he asked, knowing full well the consequences of raising that question.

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman
empapel wrote:Anyone know if this is a corked wine or a twist-off?

It's not a twist-off! My bottle had a cork in it, but it wasn't corked

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

davirom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages davirom

The wife and I visited the winery several times while our son attended Willamette University. Vineyards and winery are adjacent to Domaine Serene, which I think is overpriced. Friendly people and good juice especially at this offer. Good example of Willamette pinot noir, which I find more complex and interesting than Carneros or Central Valley.

cwc22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwc22

Haven't had this vintage but the 2006 was good. Have still got some and they're tasty.

The regular Pinot beats the more expensive Cuvee de Vigneron in my opinion. Good QPR.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:It's not a twist-off! My bottle had a cork in it, but it wasn't corked

So where are the notes??

wintershillvineyard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard

Russell from the winery here. Happy to answer any questions. The first one is easy, the bottle is sealed with a cork. We use Diams composite corks, and we are very happy with them.

klezman

I met a friend at Harvest Moon the other day and was handed a bottle of this to try. Good thing I drank it over the last couple days, eh?

Right after removing the wax cork topper (not a wax-dipped top, just a small disc of wax...not to worry for those of you who hate wax seals) I poured molarchae and myself a small glass. She can put up her own notes later, so here are mine. Colour was brilliant, limpid brick red. Maybe with a slight blueish hue. The aromas were not entirely what I expected from an Oregon Pinot Noir: cherry, earth, a bit of spice. Letting it sit for 30 seconds some stewed strawberry came out. I didn't get a hint of the mushroom aromas I often expect. First sip I was astounded at how bright and lively this wine was. The acid was brilliant with the flavours coming form the pomegranate and strawberry axis. There was some minerality and zippiness on the sides of my tongue and it left me with a bit of a sensation of chalkiness. The finish was *long* and primarily mushroom with a hint of smoke. The residual sensation on my tongue lasted what felt like 5 minutes, but was probably more like 30 seconds. Alcohol is labeled 14.5% but I'd have guessed closer to 12.5%.

About half an hour later, the second glass was poured. My first impression was that it hadn't changed in character at all, although all the previous notes had intensified somewhat. I suppose that was a good sign of things to come. It went decently well with a tomato-based pasta sauce, much to my surprise, although that did tend to bring out the minerality in the wine. The one thing that did continue to evolve was that the fruit started to get slightly muted and the wine got more muscular as it sat there in the glass.

After glass #2, recorked the wine using a nifty device we can talk about another day. It sat there on the counter until I arrived home from work tonight at 8pm (yeah, a long day) at which point I couldn't wait to open it and see how it evolved.

I was not disappointed. It had gotten bigger and burlier with its day of rest. The chalky quality and spiciness had increased while a mushroomy quality had asserted itself a bit more. Excellent. After being open for another half hour or so, it continued to open up and seemed to develop some complexity. The bottle didn't last long tonight...it's joined the other dead soldiers.

Bottom line: at $20/bottle it's a fair price that provides moderate to good value. At $13.33/bottle, this is approaching D'Ontspille le Black for QPR. It's not 1er Cru Burgundy, but what is for $13? If you like your Pinot Noir to taste and feel like Syrah, this is not for you. If you prefer a Pinot with a little bit of grace and elegance at a lighter weight then you will certainly be happy with your set from Winter's Hill. It's likely not one for the ages, but I suspect this will improve for a few more years yet but will provide much pleasure now. PnP for maximal lightness and let it air for a little while to bring out its more muscular side.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

trifecta wrote:So where are the notes??

Takes time to write the kind of novel I seem to end up with when I've got tasting notes.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

klezman wrote:Takes time to write the kind of novel I seem to end up with when I've got tasting notes.

And good notes they are! Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
klezman wrote:Takes time to write the kind of novel I seem to end up with when I've got tasting notes.

Based on the novel written, am very glad I was a much delayed First Wooter. Thanks for the confirmation on my gut reaction. Looking forward to this OR Pinot Noir!

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday
PhilSandifer wrote:"Does it matter," he asked, knowing full well the consequences of raising that question.

To be fair, storage wise? Yes, it does. Like currently I could order a case or two of a capped bottle since they can be stored standing up, but my racks are pretty full...

wrowe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wrowe

Hmm no Virginia shipping?

empapel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages empapel

Thanks for the information on the seal! In for one. I need to start stocking a new wine cellar.

sarcasm, geeks & microsoft humor
http://2tothe5th.com

ThunderThighs

Staff

wrowe wrote:Hmm no Virginia shipping?

Long story.

Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

I just happened to have a bottle of this in my ever evolving dynamic cellar

I PnP'd this bottle. It had a lovely perfumed nose of brandied cherries, crushed strawberries, tar, and black olives.

After just a few minutes in the glass, time to taste! Very tasty indeed with well focused sweet red fruit on the palate (think ripe cherries), with hints of vanilla, and a nice tartness. This wine coats your mouth with lots of pure fruit! It's medium bodied, very well balanced with good acidity, fine complimentary tannins, and a medium+ finish.

It's not complex, but it's a very enjoyable, varietaly correct Pinot Noir that went very well with coconut prawns. I suspect this will get better (more complex) with a few more years in the bottle, but it's drinking well now!

For under $15 a bottle, this is a killer deal IMHO. Most value play Pinots do not bring the thunder (heck most don't even taste like Pinot!), but this my friends brings the thunder!!

hscottk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hscottk

Hmmmmm. I tried to purchase and was told they can't ship to NJ, yet its on the list both here and on the winery website. What gives?

[MOD: Sorry, that was a booboo. No NJ shipping for this wine. ]

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

NOTE: Kyle's review has been pre-empted by a ratings scale score of 90 from Stephen Tanzer's IWC. That is all. (Honk if you love Bio-D!)

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
wintershillvineyard wrote:Russell from the winery here. Happy to answer any questions.

Hi Russell, can you provide the technical specs on the wine? PH, TA, Cooperage, blend, Brix at harvest and other number related things you might have available. We like numbers!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chipgreen wrote:NOTE: Kyle's review has been pre-empted by a ratings scale score of 90 from Stephen Tanzer's IWC. That is all. (Honk if you love Bio-D!)

did I miss where this is Bio-D or did I just not care? I can't remember.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jelainemiller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jelainemiller

This is good stuff. Great QPR on this deal.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
klezman wrote:I met a friend at Harvest Moon the other day and was handed a bottle of this to try. Good thing I drank it over the last couple days, eh?

Right after removing the wax cork topper (not a wax-dipped top, just a small disc of wax...not to worry for those of you who hate wax seals) I poured molarchae and myself a small glass. She can put up her own notes later, so here are mine. Colour was brilliant, limpid brick red. Maybe with a slight blueish hue. The aromas were not entirely what I expected from an Oregon Pinot Noir: cherry, earth, a bit of spice. Letting it sit for 30 seconds some stewed strawberry came out. I didn't get a hint of the mushroom aromas I often expect. First sip I was astounded at how bright and lively this wine was. The acid was brilliant with the flavours coming form the pomegranate and strawberry axis. There was some minerality and zippiness on the sides of my tongue and it left me with a bit of a sensation of chalkiness. The finish was *long* and primarily mushroom with a hint of smoke. The residual sensation on my tongue lasted what felt like 5 minutes, but was probably more like 30 seconds. Alcohol is labeled 14.5% but I'd have guessed closer to 12.5%.

About half an hour later, the second glass was poured. My first impression was that it hadn't changed in character at all, although all the previous notes had intensified somewhat. I suppose that was a good sign of things to come. It went decently well with a tomato-based pasta sauce, much to my surprise, although that did tend to bring out the minerality in the wine. The one thing that did continue to evolve was that the fruit started to get slightly muted and the wine got more muscular as it sat there in the glass.

After glass #2, recorked the wine using a nifty device we can talk about another day. It sat there on the counter until I arrived home from work tonight at 8pm (yeah, a long day) at which point I couldn't wait to open it and see how it evolved.

I was not disappointed. It had gotten bigger and burlier with its day of rest. The chalky quality and spiciness had increased while a mushroomy quality had asserted itself a bit more. Excellent. After being open for another half hour or so, it continued to open up and seemed to develop some complexity. The bottle didn't last long tonight...it's joined the other dead soldiers.

Bottom line: at $20/bottle it's a fair price that provides moderate to good value. At $13.33/bottle, this is approaching D'Ontspille le Black for QPR. It's not 1er Cru Burgundy, but what is for $13? If you like your Pinot Noir to taste and feel like Syrah, this is not for you. If you prefer a Pinot with a little bit of grace and elegance at a lighter weight then you will certainly be happy with your set from Winter's Hill. It's likely not one for the ages, but I suspect this will improve for a few more years yet but will provide much pleasure now. PnP for maximal lightness and let it air for a little while to bring out its more muscular side.

klez! Outstanding notes!! I bought this the last time it was here in November. I thought it was an outstanding bargain and a very nice Pinot for the price. It is a 'bright' fruit Pinot and less 'Oregon' than many, but it was really quite charming. SWMBO likes it very much. I'm ordering more.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

I'm in for one. I'm always excited to try a Pinot with good reviews and QPR.

The wife, though unhappy with the recent (amount of) wine purchases, should be happy that I've picked up some Pinot. A little diversity in the wine cellar (closet) is a good thing.

jhkey

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jhkey

Thanks for the notes Klez and bsevern. This looks to be my style of Pinot, and finding decent PN in this price range can be quite challenging if not maddening. Now, do I buy a full case????

EDIT: Ahhhhhh!!!! No shipping to GA! Wow, it's been a long time since I got blocked at the gate. Strange, since we are one of the top wine buying states and our licencing process is not expensive or arduous. Oh well!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
jhkey wrote:Thanks for the notes Klez and bsevern. This looks to be my style of Pinot, and finding decent PN in this price range can be quite challenging if not maddening. Now, do I buy a full case????

EDIT: Ahhhhhh!!!! No shipping to GA! Wow, it's been a long time since I got blocked at the gate. Strange, since we are one of the top wine buying states and our licencing process is not expensive or arduous. Oh well!

I heard the owners are ardent supporters of the Florida Gators and can't even bring themselves to say the word Georgia without suffering violent spasms.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jhkey

Hey TT, can you double check that ship-to list?

[MOD: Snipped out the long quote from the winery website.]

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

jhkey

bhodilee wrote:I heard the owners are ardent supporters of the Florida Gators and can't even bring themselves to say the word Georgia without suffering violent spasms.

Must be the jorts...

- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

jonathanpeterson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonathanpeterson
jhkey wrote:EDIT: Ahhhhhh!!!! No shipping to GA!

Love Winter's Hill and the price is outstanding. Was in for 18 until I got hosed for living in GA. I assume they can still ship to me from the vineyard.

damn, damn. damn!

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

I know the some of the wine geeks here get twisted in their undies about professional reviews. But for some can be a reference point so here goes:

From the PinotFile 2/26/13(Rusty Gaffney):

14.5% alc., 1,200 cases, $25. Exclusively from estate grapes. 100% de-stemmed, aged 12 months in oak. Offered in both traditional bottle and recyclable 5 gallon keg format. · Moderately light reddish-purple color in the glass. The nose holds your attention with an array of scents including dark red cherries and berries, tea leaf, iron and oak. Quite pleasurable on the palate with a discretely concentrated core of darker cherries and raspberries, with a hint of red licorice and oak. Plenty of minerality in this modest wine with appealing restraint. Very good.

90 Points | International Wine Cellar , July/August 2011
Vivid red. An intensely perfumed bouquet displays scents of raspberry preserves, potpourri and incense, with an exotic spicy overlay. Silky and sweet, offering spicy red berry flavors and a palate-numbing lashing of white pepper. Juicy and precise on the finish, which leaves red fruit and floral notes behind. This is flat-out delicious.

Wine Spectator Score: 89
Release Price: $25 Feb 28, 2013
Focused, ripe and generous, with black cherry, plum and tomato leaf flavors, finishing with fine tannins and enough finesse to demand another sip. Drink now through 2017. 1,200 cases made HS

Also certified LIVE and Salmon Safe.

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Really appreciate all the detailed notes/reviews...it made this one easy! Thanks!

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

From the Pinot Files of the Prince of Pinot:

2009 Winter’s Hill Vineyard Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

14.5% alc., 1,200 cases, $25. Exclusively from estate grapes. 100% de-stemmed, aged 12 months in oak. Offered in both traditional bottle and recyclable 5 gallon keg format. · Moderately light reddish-purple color in the glass. The nose holds your attention with an array of scents including dark red cherries and berries, tea leaf, iron and oak. Quite pleasurable on the palate with a discretely concentrated core of darker cherries and raspberries, with a hint of red licorice and oak. Plenty of minerality in this modest wine with appealing restraint. Very good. Reviewed November 24, 2012 ARTICLE »

ThunderThighs

Staff

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

New Jersey: Sorry, that was a booboo that it was on the Ok to ship list. No shipping to NJ this time.

Georgia UPDATE: Georgia is good to go. It's been added to the approved shipping list.

OTHER:
Check out the Wine FAQ for the most up-to-date information.on the changes to Wine checkout that started Feb 22, 2012.

There was also some discussion of it the wine thread for that day:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5356437

Perhaps someone would like to open a thread on World of Wine.Woot so we can send these discussions to that thread. That approach seems to have worked well for the Virginia shipping questions. You could post some of the good info from the thread I linked above.

NOTE: I did trim out some posts that weren't related to the wine. Please feel free to use World of Wine.Woot for side discussions.

FORUM MODERATOR

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

I drank a sip of this over the weekend. A sip and not a glass or the bottle because my bottle was flawed. I'm very glad klez and bsevern were able to provide extensive notes. In lieu of my review, I will give this wine an 89/90 since that's what ST and the WS did.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:I drank a sip of this over the weekend. A sip and not a glass or the bottle because my bottle was flawed. I'm very glad klez and bsevern were able to provide extensive notes. In lieu of my review, I will give this wine an 89/90 since that's what ST and the WS did.

89/90? Who are you and what have you done with Kyle

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:89/90? Who are you and what have you done with Kyle

Wine I actually didn't evaluate with quite arbitrary and/or meaningless notes gets a score. That's how it works, right?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Got six of this on a previous Woot! back in Aug of 2012. Only opened one so far when we took a 2009 Wall chard and this to a Red Lobster (no corkage fees) in October during one of their shrimp promos, and we had, shrimp, all different kinds and preparations of, shrimp.

This followed the Wall that all liked and was also very well received by the two couples, as there was none left at the end of the evening.

Notes quite consistent with earlier postings, except Kyle. Not a huge PN, but varietally correct if not all that complex, cherries, a bit of earth and nice acidity, touch of tannins on the medium-long finish. While this paired well with some of the shrimp, it could have been a bit crisper to cut thru the buttered critters but did well with the others.

At ~$13/btl about as close to a no-brainer as one can get for a PN that drinks well above the daily/Tuesday bottle we normally see at this price point.

CT

wintershillvineyard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard
bhodilee wrote:did I miss where this is Bio-D or did I just not care? I can't remember.

The wine is not Biodynamic, although we have been certified sustainable by LIVE since 1999 when the program was set up in Oregon.