2005 McClean Vineyards Estate Private Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/16/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

I like the 2007 quite a bit... how is the 2005? Worth the extra cost? (price was 69.99 at a woot.off before for the 2007 but without extra tax: http://wine.woot.com/offers/mcclean-private-reserve-syrah-6-7)

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
andreaserben wrote:I like the 2007 quite a bit... how is the 2005? Worth the extra cost? (price was 69.99 at a woot.off before for the 2007 but without extra tax: http://wine.woot.com/offers/mcclean-private-reserve-syrah-6-7)

Still a huge discount from when it was offered as a Plus deal back in August.

EDIT: I haven't tried these yet but WD said that the '05 was one of the best wines he drank all last year.

epbakis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epbakis

Love the '05. Perfect amount of oakyness, big and smooth. Drank with a nice pasta dinner, yum. The '07 is still a bit young and rough around the edges, but it's a big bold wine with good structure and will develop into a even better one in a year or two. I may just pop open another tomorrow for formal notes.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

I've said it all on the past offerings. Solid examples of Paso Syrah for a fantastic price (I only wish there was some '03 left!) The icing on the cake is that Mike McClean is a gentleman and a scholar. Get 'em while you can...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

I have yet to be disappointed by any of the McClean's I've wooted. Very solid QPR on all.

CT

andreaserben

btw. is it true that the McCleans are not going to make any more wine for the time being and focus on being growers only?
I read that somewhere a while ago but have yet to see any confirmation.

WillyP1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WillyP1

In for 1 .
Just noticed though , I had the free shipping but it charged me tax . The first item I paid the $5.00 shipping but wasn't charged tax .
What gives ?

andreaserben

WillyP1 wrote:In for 1 .
Just noticed though , I had the free shipping but it charged me tax . The first item I paid the $5.00 shipping but wasn't charged tax .
What gives ?

http://wine.woot.com/faq#q17
Basically this is because it is directly shipped from the wineries as far as I understand it - so shipping depends on the winery having a license to ship to the specific state - those states usually issue the license contingent on requiring the winery collecting sales tax (maybe Woot should consider using their own logistics in the future and take care of this problem/licenses and alike?).

For regular purchases this is typically not the case - there it is just regular interstate commerce.

The tricky part actually is tax on shipping - many states actually require shipping costs to be taxed if the order is subject to sales tax - so, when mixing a regular order with a wine order, if Woot calculates it properly according to state laws, it could be better by a few cent to buy a non-wine item first and then the wine-item to enjoy free shipping (and not paying the sales-tax on the $5 shipping cost).

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

I too have been impressed by the mcclean syrahs. I have enjoyed the 03' and 05' no notes on the 05' though.

CT

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Good Paso syrah, great price..no brainer..send me a case.

First Sucker:
dkralston

Last Wooter to Woot:
ERMD

crunchdoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crunchdoc

This is a great deal. I paid higher for the 2003/05 combo and it was well worth it. I am usually more of a cab fan with bold tannins but this wine was a pleasant intro to the softer subtle syrah club. 05 - pleasant berry aroma, similar on the tongue without harsh alcohol, smooth finish in the throat, lingers awhile leaving a fine ending. Will be good by itself or accompanying a lighter meal.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Bought the 07 last time and it was one of the best wines I've ever purchased from woot. Gladly in for one.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Can't understand why my purchase will not go through. Anyone know if the server is acting strangely?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Anyone in the NorCal area want a set? I'd love to halve my shipping costs and get a set as well. CAGirl?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

jmjj2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmjj2112

Same here. Buy now button not working! Maybe its a sign.!!!!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
jmjj2112 wrote:Same here. Buy now button not working! Maybe its a sign.!!!!

Other wooters are still buying (see last purchaser). What a dilemma! Any staffers around that can help?

hail2skins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hail2skins
jmdavidson wrote:Other wooters are still buying (see last purchaser). What a dilemma! Any staffers around that can help?

This may be a silly question, but since when did tax get charged here? I, somewhat frequently, buy wine, including two orders less than a month ago.

Now there's tax? I assume this is some law I've never heard of or something?

Help a brother out.

EDIT: Apparently I could have read above about the tax. Still don't really understand it. I buy on the net to avoid taxes. I'm not paying more in tax than shipping. I'll try another wine in the future for sure, but am passing on taxed items.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
jmdavidson wrote:Other wooters are still buying (see last purchaser). What a dilemma! Any staffers around that can help?

Just put my order in. :shrugs: try a different browser or device?

netfortius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netfortius
jmdavidson wrote:Other wooters are still buying (seethey'll urchaser). What a dilemma! Any staffers around that can help?

C'mon... Something is broken for sure, and the woot folks need to fix it, or they'll be loosing budiness. I have beeen able to order MANY times before, usually from one of my android devices, using either dolphin or the builtin android browser. For the last FOUR (!) days this process has been failing on this OS/browser combo, over wifi or 4g, but also on chrome on android, chrome on osx lion, FF on osx lion, etc.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:Anyone in the NorCal area want a set? I'd love to halve my shipping costs and get a set as well. CAGirl?

I have lots of '07, but no '05. If anyone is interested I would take a bottle or two or three of the '05. Or I could trade.

andreaserben

hail2skins wrote:
EDIT: Apparently I could have read above about the tax. Still don't really understand it. I buy on the net to avoid taxes. I'm not paying more in tax than shipping. I'll try another wine in the future for sure, but am passing on taxed items.

Then you _cannot_ buy wines shipped from a winery or from any other entity that would require to get a license to ship to your state since the states will then require sales tax to be charged, without a license, no shipping to your state - or you need to move to a state which does not charge sales tax (but allows wine to be shipped there).
The US as a whole has and most states here unfortunately have this rather Puritan (no offense to actual Puritans I hope) weird view of alcohol with as far as I know no measurable success compared to other countries (e.g. in Germany the drinking age for wine and beer is 16, for hard liquor is 18 with levels of alcohol related diseases, traffic accidents, and addiction as far as I know not being higher than in the US - it is the opposite in many cases).
It is just one of the weird things we have to put up with in the country that is built on the ideal of freedom but in reality has more restrictions in daily life than many other places in the world.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Ordered a half case of Expressions Roserock a few weeks ago with no tax and now every wine including McClean and the Woot Plus is slamming me for 9%. McClean doesn't ship to my state except through Woot so I'm thinking any wine purchases I make in the future will be taxed. This will help me be much more selective and will effectively enforce my SIWBM. Tax on shipping is a joke even if states require it, which I find hard to believe. I don't get taxed on shipping for anything else I order. On the bright side - I will be saving lots of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hail2skins wrote:This may be a silly question, but since when did tax get charged here? I, somewhat frequently, buy wine, including two orders less than a month ago.

Now there's tax? I assume this is some law I've never heard of or something?

Help a brother out.

andreaserben

sphervey wrote:McClean doesn't ship to my state except through Woot so I'm thinking any wine purchases I make in the future will be taxed. This will help me be much more selective and will effectively enforce my SIWBM. Tax on shipping is a joke even if states require it, which I find hard to believe. I don't get taxed on shipping for anything else I order. On the bright side - I will be saving lots of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting - so maybe there is something that we do not know or that Woot does not want to disclose? Maybe they are having some intermediary shipping some things but not others so they can reach more states? Not sure... but it sounds weird that the winery would ship to less states if not through Woot if they are shipping directly and thus have to have a license to ship to those states.

As for the tax charged - a quick search in the search engine of your choice will spit out a dozen or so examples of states that require to charge sales tax on Shipping & Handling if the order itself has sales tax applied.

Regards,

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
hail2skins wrote:Still don't really understand it. I buy on the net to avoid taxes. I'm not paying more in tax than shipping.

Depending on what state you live in, you're supposed to pay state sales tax even on untaxed internet orders. It's part of my state income tax return -- self-reporting unpaid sales taxes on internet/phone orders. This isn't an optional thing -- I am required by law to do it, and so is everybody else in my state. (Whether everybody is compliant or not is another question.)

I'll try another wine in the future for sure, but am passing on taxed items.

You'll be passing on all woot wines, then. They're charging tax now for shipments to ALL states that have a state sales tax.

sphervey wrote:Ordered a half case of Expressions Roserock a few weeks ago with no tax and now every wine including McClean and the Woot Plus is slamming me for 9%. McClean doesn't ship to my state except through Woot so I'm thinking any wine purchases I make in the future will be taxed.

Yup.

Tax on shipping is a joke even if states require it, which I find hard to believe.

My state requires a tax on all non-foodstuff purchases AND services. Shipping is a service, and therefore not exempt from tax.

I don't get taxed on shipping for anything else I order.

Double check those receipts/invoices. It isn't necessarily listed as a separate line item from the tax charged on the goods you purchase -- instead, it is just calculated as a percentage of the total including shipping.

This is the direction ALL internet purchases are moving in. State governments and local brick-and-mortar stores in those states are all in favor of this, and they're slowly but steadily getting the laws changed. I don't like it -- for many years I benefited by saving on tax when I purchased stuff over the internet. Lots of people did. But states were losing tax revenue and local brick-and-mortar stores were losing business. Many couldn't compete -- even if their prices were comparable to the online retailers, the tax they are required to charge pushed 90% or more of big purchases away from them and to the online retailers. Many went out of business. Honestly I can understand why it is they (local retailers) are upset.

Two real-world examples: There was a local electronics shop (stereos, etc) that I used to frequent back in the 1980s and 1990s. They always had fair prices and great service. They're out of business now, and I ran into one of the co-owners a couple years ago. He said they were steadily losing business, even after they instituted a price-matching policy with the big online retailers. People were walking into his shop, trying out gear, and then buying from Amazon (before they started charging sales tax in my state) or other online businesses that didn't charge sales tax.

The second example is a local camera dealer. Basically the same story, differing only in the minor details, which I won't bore you with.

Anyway, this question comes up each and every day on the wine.woot discussions since Feb 22, which IIRC is the day they started charging tax.

billyum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyum

Tax kept me from buying this morning, but I caved in the afternoon. I do think this will slow my ww purchasing now that all prices are $10 above what's shown. (Ship +tax)

moondigger

Just a comment about the 'deal' aspect of this.

As I understand it, this particular wine costs $23/btl retail. Assuming it's available in your local wine shop, you're going to pay anywhere between $18 and $23 per bottle, PLUS whatever local sales tax they charge.

My woot order (in for one), with shipping AND tax, comes out to $80.46. That's $13.41 per bottle. Even with the tax, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Especially considering the fact that I can't find this particular wine locally in the first place.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
moondigger wrote:Just a comment about the 'deal' aspect of this.

As I understand it, this particular wine costs $23/btl retail. Assuming it's available in your local wine shop, you're going to pay anywhere between $18 and $23 per bottle, PLUS whatever local sales tax they charge.

My woot order (in for one), with shipping AND tax, comes out to $80.46. That's $13.41 per bottle. Even with the tax, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Especially considering the fact that I can't find this particular wine locally in the first place.

I agree with all of this.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
billyum wrote:Tax kept me from buying this morning, but I caved in the afternoon. I do think this will slow my ww purchasing now that all prices are $10 above what's shown. (Ship +tax)

I'm not sure I understand why tax would stop you from buying. Go to any wine shop, winery, grocery store, etc. and you'll pay tax, as well. I mean, I hate paying taxes, but I still buy stuff.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

hail2skins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hail2skins

Moon,

I appreciate the feedback and in my state it is a "requirement" you pay state tax on items you buy in other states or on the internet. As you suggest, it is a somewhat questionable thing as to whether anyone actually follows that specific guideline. I would hope not. While true it is "the law" that does not mean it's a requirement you follow it. In fact, many wildly unjust laws are not followed by enough people that new laws are written.

Hell, I believe we, as a nation, became a nation in violation of the law. I believe we fought a civil war due to a portion of the country violating the law. Courts even once said an entire race of people weren't really people at all. Law, largely, is error-prone and foolish. The requirement isn't that you blindly follow any silly thing some legislature says is the law. But, they would have you believe that .

As for whether Woot will be charging tax on items, if that is the case, I would no longer buy here. I presume politicians will eventually nationalize tax on the internet, at which point I may reconsider. But so long as I can buy wine or anything else somewhere they don't charge tax I'll try to support them as long as possible.

I don't actually believe Woot is required by any law in Texas or nationally to charge taxes, but IF they were, say no, and fight the good fight .

sphervey

I was noting that I bought the Roserock on Feb 24 which was after the tax thing started and wasn't charged tax. Then today it's tax on everything. I will assume they did not have their software updated for all states at that time. We all know how to do math and about paying tax at local stores, etc. This is just one more thing to factor in when we are making a buying decision. I love McClean Syrahs and still have a case left which is why I will pass on this offer today. Many of us are just noting this as another factor in figuring our savings on a purchasing situation and may start looking for sales at our local wine shops to avoid the $5.00 shipping charge . . . (That was humor BTW before we start taking this too seriously!) I always said one should live in Washington (no income tax) and shop in Oregon (no sales tax) or is it the other way around?????

andreaserben wrote:Interesting - so maybe there is something that we do not know or that Woot does not want to disclose? Maybe they are having some intermediary shipping some things but not others so they can reach more states? Not sure... but it sounds weird that the winery would ship to less states if not through Woot if they are shipping directly and thus have to have a license to ship to those states.

As for the tax charged - a quick search in the search engine of your choice will spit out a dozen or so examples of states that require to charge sales tax on Shipping & Handling if the order itself has sales tax applied.

Regards,

sphervey

andreaserben wrote:Interesting - so maybe there is something that we do not know or that Woot does not want to disclose? Maybe they are having some intermediary shipping some things but not others so they can reach more states? Not sure... but it sounds weird that the winery would ship to less states if not through Woot if they are shipping directly and thus have to have a license to ship to those states.

Regards,

Also, I did as you suggested and looked it up. Shipping and handling is NOT taxable in my state but Woot is collecting it anyway. Another software update may be needed. . .

Chargerrt500

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Chargerrt500
andreaserben wrote:Then you _cannot_ buy wines shipped from a winery or from any other entity that would require to get a license to ship to your state since the states will then require sales tax to be charged, without a license, no shipping to your state - or you need to move to a state which does not charge sales tax (but allows wine to be shipped there).
The US as a whole has and most states here unfortunately have this rather Puritan (no offense to actual Puritans I hope) weird view of alcohol with as far as I know no measurable success compared to other countries (e.g. in Germany the drinking age for wine and beer is 16, for hard liquor is 18 with levels of alcohol related diseases, traffic accidents, and addiction as far as I know not being higher than in the US - it is the opposite in many cases).
It is just one of the weird things we have to put up with in the country that is built on the ideal of freedom but in reality has more restrictions in daily life than many other places in the world.

That's why, in small part, there is no Virginia shipping. Would like to purchase this Woot.

moondigger

hail2skins wrote:I appreciate the feedback and in my state it is a "requirement" you pay state tax on items you buy in other states or on the internet. As you suggest, it is a somewhat questionable thing as to whether anyone actually follows that specific guideline. I would hope not.

Understand that there are people in certain professions (requiring various credentials or security clearances) who would be foolish NOT to comply with the law on that (and other) issues, given the risk to their livelihoods that being caught would entail.

In fact, many wildly unjust laws are not followed by enough people that new laws are written.

Question for you: What do you think makes internet/interstate sales tax laws "wildly unjust?" Do you think you would have the same opinion if you were the owner of a brick-and-mortar retail/wholesale business? Understand, I don't like that my tax-free internet purchases are a thing of the past, but I understand why it's happening and I don't think such laws are "wildly unjust."

Courts even once said an entire race of people weren't really people at all.

You're not really trying to equate legal slavery with laws that require collection of sales tax, are you?

As for whether Woot will be charging tax on items, if that is the case, I would no longer buy here.

As I understand it, that is the case. Seems like it would make the most sense to do the math (including tax) and decide whether it's still a good deal or not.

I don't actually believe Woot is required by any law in Texas or nationally to charge taxes, but IF they were, say no, and fight the good fight .

As I understand it, each and every winery that wants to ship wine into a given state must get a license to do so from said state. Those states which charge sales tax make paying sales tax to the state a requirement of the license.

I don't know which of the sales tax-related discussions you've seen here prior to today's, but from what I've gathered the tax was ALWAYS collected on woot wine purchases before, but was simply rolled into the overall price. Today's woot deal is an example. Last time the McClean Syrah was offered, it was $75 for 6 bottles, no matter where it was going. The winery had to take money out of that total and remit it to the various states as tax. Today's woot offer is $69 for 6, plus whatever tax is required in your particular state. Tax in my state happens to be... you guessed it, about $6. So the state still gets their tax money, and I still get my McClean Syrah for the same price I paid last time.

Disclaimer: I know this offer is slightly different than the previous offer, given that half the bottles are of a different vintage. But the woot folks have claimed that this is the case across the board. Current wine.woot offers are a few dollars lower now than their older equivalent offers, except that now the tax will be charged as a specific line item for your state rather than being rolled into the offer total.

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

In for this, tax and all. Sure wish more of the discussion would have been about the wine, not the tax. Would have helped me decide sooner.

yubakram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yubakram

I agree… after reading about the taxes and shipping and… made me want to open a bottle and start drinking something… in for one..

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Is anyone still having problems ordering? Can you give me more info?

Browser - try more than one

Payment method
- Paypal has to be backed by credit card or bank account
- Make sure your address on your Woot account matches that of your payment source

Error message or what's happening

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

moondigger

I haven't had any trouble ordering. For what it's worth, I'm using Safari on Mac OS 10.8.2, and Firefox on Windows 7. Haven't tried other browsers or operating systems.

A thought... I typically sign in with my Amazon account credentials, rather than my actual woot account. Don't know if that makes a difference.

netfortius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netfortius

As stated earlier, ordering has been impossible in the last four days, for many of the potential customers. I have tried to followings:
- android devices (ics and jb), using wifi in secure places, wifi behind vpn in public places and 3/4g connectivity, with the following browsers: firefox, chrome, dolphin and built-in
- mac osx lion with chrome, FF, safari and opera, with direct connectivity, NAT-ed and behind VPN
- windows 7 with IE, chrome and FF, same connectivity attempts as the osx above