WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Going on a Blender

We can't pronounce them all, okay! With all of the wines from places like France, Italy, Argentina, learning how to speak all of these languages is getting tough. So thank you to whoever had the idea to just put them together and call them a blend, making us sound much less foolish when talking wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

Just Joshin California Red Table Wine 4-Pack
$57.99 $̶9̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 36% off List Price
2010 Just Joshin California Red Table Wine
Previous offer: 12/1/12

Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend Vertical 3-Pack
$82.99 $̶1̶3̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 40% off List Price
2006 Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend, Paso Robles
2007 Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend, Paso Robles
2008 Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend, Paso Robles
Previous offer: 1/26/13

Kaleidos 2006 Paso Robles/Rhone Red Blend 3-Pack
$57.99 $̶1̶0̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2006 Morpheus GSM Blend
2006 Osiris GSM Blend
Previous offer: 1/9/13

Woot Cellars 2010 Pour Pour Me Fruit Bomber 4-Pack
$54.99
2010 Pour Pour Me Fruit Bomber
Previous offer: 8/20/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I'm considering maxing out on the pour mes

Neal K Bharadwaj

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Was hoping for some Ty Racchus Red.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

The Kaleidos pack are very good wines. Bought this 3 pack the first time it came up and definitely getting another.

Very smooth but rich wines, good with foods ranging from the milder end of flavors like herb chicken or rich white sauces into some of the slightly richer tasting things like burgers and red sauces. I'd stay away from spicy foods with these wines though, I think it would wash out the flavor of the wine. Also good sipping wines. Pretty versatile wine over all I think.

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

I did not care for the pour pour me, found it too sweet and extracted(it does seem to be a crowd pleaser though.) , very interested in the kaleidos since I enjoyed the oak rock, the just joshin is out of my table wine price range. And the degher is out my price range for complete unknowns.

That's all i know about that!

CT

cortot20

North316 wrote:Was hoping for some Ty Racchus Red.

It's been awhile on those. I'm guessing its a year to year deal, in that he doesn't make them every year. Just keep an eye out for Ty's red. Better red blend year after year but with a slightly higher price point.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I did not like the Kaleidos Oak Rock, although I don't remember why. Cortot20 and I split a 4-pack. I have one more bottle left. Glad he enjoyed his, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote: Just keep an eye out for Ty's red. Better red blend year after year but with a slightly higher price point.

Exactly why I haven't bought it yet. I love the RR at it's price point. At the Ty's Red price point, there are a lot of other wines I would jump on Oh, Magoo, you've done it again!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
cortot20 wrote:I did not care for the pour pour me, found it too sweet and extracted(it does seem to be a crowd pleaser though.) , very interested in the kaleidos since I enjoyed the oak rock, the just joshin is out of my table wine price range. And the degher is out my price range for complete unknowns.

My dad really enjoyed the Pour Pour Me, and I'm down to my last bottle. It is a fruit bomb though. Maybe I'll grab something else as well.

Neal K Bharadwaj

JoshStein

quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein

Hi Wooters,

I'm here, so fire away with questions. I think you'll find the Just Joshin RTW unlike others in this mix--Cab/Zin and lower alcohols: food friendly and much beloved. Our production of this is ramping up to several thousand cases this year, so you're getting a very good deal on a delicious, in-demand wine

Stein Family Wine Group

cortot20

JoshStein wrote:Hi Wooters,

I'm here, so fire away with questions. I think you'll find the Just Joshin RTW unlike others in this mix--Cab/Zin and lower alcohols: food friendly and much beloved. Our production of this is ramping up to several thousand cases this year, so you're getting a very good deal on a delicious, in-demand wine

Thanks for stopping by josh. Can you give us some details on the vineyards you got the fruit from. I know it's labeled as California so the fruit probably comes from far and wide. We wooters like details. Also, what's the objective of the blend?

CT

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

http://wineandgoodfood.com/2012/02/08/wine-wednesday-mini-review-domaine-degher-2006-mojo/

JoshStein

cortot20 wrote:Thanks for stopping by josh. Can you give us some details on the vineyards you got the fruit from. I know it's labeled as California so the fruit probably comes from far and wide. We wooters like details. Also, what's the objective of the blend?

This RTW is based off a wine I love from a Silverado Trail producer whose bottling go north of $75; we wanted a wine stylistically similar because Cab and Zin are a great pair, but we wanted it to be affprdable to drink every day, not just for special occasions. This has Cab from the North Coast and Livermore, Zin from the Foothills, and a few other bits from the North Coast. It's not easy to get good flavors but lower alcohols, which is what's necessary for food friendly--lower alcohols and higher TA.

Stein Family Wine Group

kaleidos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaleidos

Hey there Woot, This is Steve Martell Winemaker/Owner of Kaleidos. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the wines. They are drinking great right now and have a couple years left in them if you like hanging on to wines but I'd say pop the cork and enjoy!

domainedegher

quality posts: 10 Private Messages domainedegher

Hi Wooterville, Let me know if there are any questions about the Mojo Vertical. The blends change from year to year to make the best possible wine. Denis Degher - Winemaker

krswine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krswine

The Kaleidos 3 pack is an amazing deal. The 2006 Osiris has a nose of smoked meats. It is Grenache based, with a rather fleshy mouthfeel. Drinking wonderfully now!
The 2006 Morpheus is a beautifully balanced blend, syrah based. Rich and full bodied, easy drinking on its own or paired with something equally rich like osso bucco.
These wines represent the rhone fruit that grows so well in Paso. Great opportunity to taste some of the beauty Paso has to offer!

krswine

kaleidos wrote:Hey there Woot, This is Steve Martell Winemaker/Owner of Kaleidos. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the wines. They are drinking great right now and have a couple years left in them if you like hanging on to wines but I'd say pop the cork and enjoy!

Thanks for sharing your passion Steve! We really enjoyed these blends, very fun to see the different proportions you played with. Cheers!

krswine

cortot20 wrote:I did not care for the pour pour me, found it too sweet and extracted(it does seem to be a crowd pleaser though.) , very interested in the kaleidos since I enjoyed the oak rock, the just joshin is out of my table wine price range. And the degher is out my price range for complete unknowns.

I really reccomend Kaleidos two GSM blends. Really great way to see the difference between a grenache based versus syrah based GSM's from paso. It is a stellar deal too! Hope you get a chance to try them, Cheers!

krswine

nealkb wrote:My dad really enjoyed the Pour Pour Me, and I'm down to my last bottle. It is a fruit bomb though. Maybe I'll grab something else as well.

I have also tried the Oakrock which is not typical of Kaleidos winemaker Steve Martell's style. Rhone blends are his focus, and the oakrock was a syrah based bordeaux blend. If you like rhone style wines, I suggest giving these two GSM blends a shot! Cheers!

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
cortot20 wrote:...the pour pour me, ... (it does seem to be a crowd pleaser though.) ...

I second that libation! (apologies to Smokey ;)

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

Man I hate to say this but the Kaleidos Morpheus blend was not for me. First day it was very vegatal, brambly? and with a bit of a sour note. Not much fruit at all. It's better on the 2nd day but I still find it a bit sour, maybe a bit acetic. The vegatal notes are still there but more integrated.

I'm interested in how the Osiris blend tastes with the higher Grenache mix but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other bottle of Morpheus.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Just chiming in to say I loved the Just Joshin, and were I not trying to drink down my cellar currently I'd easily be picking up two or three. It's got far more character and depth than a table red should, and for the price is well worth it.

JoshStein

greyday wrote:Just chiming in to say I loved the Just Joshin, and were I not trying to drink down my cellar currently I'd easily be picking up two or three. It's got far more character and depth than a table red should, and for the price is well worth it.

Thanks for the kind words. We've offered it several times here on Woot, and that has been the general consensus: a solid wine which over-delivers.

Stein Family Wine Group

chefee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chefee

The Domaine Degher wines in the vertical are all excellent food friendly and sipping wines. The blends are Rhone meets Bordeaux and at this price theft are a deal.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Any notes/recs/first hand XP Re the Just Joshin? Thinking of going in for this.

Also on the fence for Pour Me. I liked it, but only with certain foods. It went REALLY well with spicy chili and very "lamby" lamb and white bean soup (made with bones from 2 roasted legs that I had saved) if that helps at all. if you think of it as a much more polite sibling to Sangria you're on the right track.

threemoons

JoshStein wrote:This RTW is based off a wine I love from a Silverado Trail producer whose bottling go north of $75; we wanted a wine stylistically similar because Cab and Zin are a great pair, but we wanted it to be affprdable to drink every day, not just for special occasions. This has Cab from the North Coast and Livermore, Zin from the Foothills, and a few other bits from the North Coast. It's not easy to get good flavors but lower alcohols, which is what's necessary for food friendly--lower alcohols and higher TA.

Thanks, do you have any other tasting notes that you can share? Cab/Zin blends can be all over the place....

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
threemoons wrote:Any notes/recs/first hand XP Re the Just Joshin? Thinking of going in for this.

I don't, sorry. I may open a bottle tonight and if I do I'll post something, promise!

JoshStein

threemoons wrote:Thanks, do you have any other tasting notes that you can share? Cab/Zin blends can be all over the place....

Hiya,

Here is from the last couple woots we did:

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5261131

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5218081

This is intended to pair with a range of foods, so you'll get ripe Cab and Zin flavors, but the burn from alcohol isn't there, allowing you taste the wine

Stein Family Wine Group

threemoons

JoshStein wrote:Hiya,

Here is from the last couple woots we did:

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5261131

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5218081

This is intended to pair with a range of foods, so you'll get ripe Cab and Zin flavors, but the burn from alcohol isn't there, allowing you taste the wine

Thank you so much, very helpful!

JoshStein

threemoons wrote:Thank you so much, very helpful!

My pleasure. There is plenty more on our site itself, but there is nothing better than reading what other Wooters have had to say. Happy to address any questions you or others may have

Stein Family Wine Group

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds
JoshStein wrote:My pleasure. There is plenty more on our site itself, but there is nothing better than reading what other Wooters have had to say. Happy to address any questions you or others may have

Thank you, Josh, for being on the boards. The reviews and specs made this too good to ignore. What is the drinking window on this -- from now to ??? Since I have a good-sized stock, it helps to prioritize.

JoshStein

creekhounds wrote:Thank you, Josh, for being on the boards. The reviews and specs made this too good to ignore. What is the drinking window on this -- from now to ??? Since I have a good-sized stock, it helps to prioritize.

Lower alcohols and higher acidity means longer drinking windows, so five to eight years is about what I would expect. Zin has a lot of life in it, and Cab, of course, can age a long time if not over-extracted. Our goal was an everyday drinker which will keep giving pleasure rather than its much more expensive inspiration. The point of the Just Joshin wines is to ask "why can't wine just be fun?"

Stein Family Wine Group

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I did not like the Kaleidos Oak Rock, although I don't remember why. Cortot20 and I split a 4-pack. I have one more bottle left. Glad he enjoyed his, though.

If we split something before you open it I will gladly buy it back from you.

CT

kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa
kaleidos wrote:Hey there Woot, This is Steve Martell Winemaker/Owner of Kaleidos. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the wines. They are drinking great right now and have a couple years left in them if you like hanging on to wines but I'd say pop the cork and enjoy!

Thanks Steve. Ordered these last time featured on Woot and really enjoyed them. So much so, I am in need of replenishing : ) Really delicious GSM blends. Definitely Paso in style- has that Paso as I like to say dustiness to them. Thanks for coming back with another offer.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kurtswa wrote:Thanks Steve. Ordered these last time featured on Woot and really enjoyed them. So much so, I am in need of replenishing : ) Really delicious GSM blends. Definitely Paso in style- has that Paso as I like to say dustiness to them. Thanks for coming back with another offer.

....chiming in to agree... Thank you Steve, and I really dig these big Paso GSM's.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...