WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: In what setting is it acceptable to drink port?
  • 1% - Before dinner. 12
  • 2.4% - During dinner. 30
  • 33.3% - After dinner. 420
  • 14% - Well past dinner. 176
  • 49.4% - EVERY $^x%x# HOUR OF THE $^x%x# DAY!!! 622
1260 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

Where is the option for NEVER?

A couple years ago I went out to dinner with my GF. I had a couple drinks after work and had a few cocktails with dinner. We then had a few glasses of wine with the owner of the restaurant. We went back to her apartment and drank 6 bottles of red between the two of us. After the wine was gone we finished a bottle of Baileys (it was only half full). It was now 5am and the only alcohol left was port, so we had a glass. Big mistake. The last thing I remember was her meowing like a cat in her bed. I still don't know how I made it to work the next day. That was the last time I've had port.

connorbush

quality posts: 2 Private Messages connorbush

Ask Men lays down the law on Port:

http://www.askmen.com/fine_living/wine_and_dine_archive/9_wine_dine.html

GetOffMyLawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GetOffMyLawn

The only reason I check wine Woot is for Port, well maybe chocolate but only because it goes with Port.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
torturegarden wrote:Where is the option for NEVER?

A couple years ago I went out to dinner with my GF. I had a couple drinks after work and had a few cocktails with dinner. We then had a few glasses of wine with the owner of the restaurant. We went back to her apartment and drank 6 bottles of red between the two of us. After the wine was gone we finished a bottle of Baileys (it was only half full). It was now 5am and the only alcohol left was port, so we had a glass. Big mistake. The last thing I remember was her meowing like a cat in her bed. I still don't know how I made it to work the next day. That was the last time I've had port.

So you had at least 20 servings of alcohol over a 12 hour period and yet you blame the single last serving for the issue... Interesting.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmaldoon wrote:So you had at least 20 servings of alcohol over a 12 hour period and yet you blame the single last serving for the issue... Interesting.

The whole story seems a bit suspect...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
kylemittskus wrote:The whole story seems a bit suspect...

My suspension of disbelief was broken when I read "...[we] drank 6 bottles of red between the two of us...".

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
jawlz wrote:My suspension of disbelief was broken when I read "...[we] drank 6 bottles of red between the two of us...".

Maybe they were those little bottles of sutter home that you can buy in a 6 pack.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chemvictim wrote:Maybe they were those little bottles of sutter home that you can buy in a 6 pack.

Aren't those usually white or (horrors) pink?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
torturegarden wrote:Where is the option for NEVER?

Cool story bro.

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
kylemittskus wrote:The whole story seems a bit suspect...

I like the "meowing like a cat in bed" line. But, then was like, what was the problem?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
joelsisk wrote:I like the "meowing in bed" line. But, then was like, what was the problem?

I wondered the same thing.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
jawlz wrote:My suspension of disbelief was broken when I read "...[we] drank 6 bottles of red between the two of us...".

I drank two gallons of beer half a bottle of wine and two shots and didn't die about five years ago. so I can kinda see this as being true. I also apparently rolled around on the kitchen floor and gave my dog a dissertation on why under no circumstances you should trust a garden gnome, so the cat thing is plausible also. Stupid, but plausible.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
bhodilee wrote: so the cat thing is plausible also. Stupid, but plausible.

with you, everything is plausible

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

When is it acceptable? In all circumstances except when you are on the starboard side of the ship.

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

To all you doubters and mis-believers, the story is true. Yes, we drank way too much. The port put us over the top. We are still alive and still together. We like to drink, what else can I say? There's always port in the liquor cabinet.

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
torturegarden wrote:To all you doubters and mis-believers, the story is true. Yes, we drank way too much. The port put us over the top. We are still alive and still together. We like to drink, what else can I say? There's always port in the liquor cabinet.

Do I have to cool story bro you again?

CT

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1
cortot20 wrote:Do I have to cool story bro you again?

Back to Port...
Having friends over for dinner tonite. Dessert is a carmel cake (recipe courtesy Scott Harvey's recipes on his website. Thought a port would pair well.
I recently built wine storage racks, and in organizing the collection, came upon a bottle of Pedroncelli '04 Vintage Port I bought at the winery in '10. I had opened it, had a few cordial size glasses, re-corked it, and then forgot I had it.
So, this morning I opened it, assuming it was soon to go down the drain. Surprise, drinking better now that when it was fisrt opened.
So, my answer to the ? when to drink port...tonite w/ dessert.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Port? Whenever you are given the chance.
Most recently

CT

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

yuk! never