$49.99 $̶1̶1̶2̶.̶0̶0̶ 55% off List Price
2009 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Rosé
2010 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Rosé
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

This looks like the real deal rose! If the winemaker should show up, I'm wondering if these grapes were grown and picked specifically for rose. What was the brix at harvest?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

terlatofamilyvineyards

quality posts: 9 Private Messages terlatofamilyvineyards

Hello Wooters! Happy to be back on board with you all. Who's going to be first up here?

Happy to answer any questions you may have regarding our delicious rosé from Rutherford Hill.

Regards,
John

terlatofamilyvineyards

klezman wrote:This looks like the real deal rose! If the winemaker should show up, I'm wondering if these grapes were grown and picked specifically for rose. What was the brix at harvest?

This is the real deal rose. This wine was crafted in the European rose tradition, and is fantastic with food. It shows great fruit in the nose and on the approach, yet it is dry and full of flavor.

Brix at harvest was probably something in the mid 20's. More importantly however is that this wine has no residual sugar. Its not a sweet rose - It s on the dry side with lots of flavor. Only 490 something cases produced. Hope that helps.
John Terlato

terlatofamilyvineyards

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:This is the real deal rose. This wine was crafted in the European rose tradition, and is fantastic with food. It shows great fruit in the nose and on the approach, yet it is dry and full of flavor.

Brix at harvest was probably something in the low to mid 20's. More importantly however is that this wine has zero residual sugar. It s dry and incredibly flavorful. Only 490 something cases produced. Hope that helps.
John Terlato

Did I also mention that it is delicious? I serve this wine chilled and it is super easy to drink. On hot sunny days the bottle doesn't spend much time in the ice bucket. It's usually being passed around and poured with lots of resulting smiles. Hope you enjoy our rosé.
Jt

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:Did I also mention that it is delicious? I serve this wine chilled and it is super easy to drink. On hot sunny days the bottle doesn't spend much time in the ice bucket. It's usually being passed around and poured with lots of resulting smiles. Hope you enjoy our rosé.
Jt

Summer? Here in SoCal we enjoy a good dry rose year around. This is tempting but I'm trying to be good and not buy,

CT

klezman

cortot20 wrote:Summer? Here in SoCal we enjoy a good dry rose year around. This is tempting but I'm trying to be good and not buy,

This is where I am as well. But I do love a good rose. I'd like to know more about the specifics of the production. Contact time, saignee or bleed from other fermentations, etc. Mid 20's brix seems a little high for rose grapes. Also what's the pH/TA?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Lately I have seen some winemakers coming to the forum seemingly unprepared. While I applaud every single winemaker to come here and it is for me a strong pro 'buy' motivator to see them here, it baffles me that basic information such as 'brix at harvest' e.g. in this case cannot be provided precisely. "something in the mid 20s" is not very precise for example. I would assume that every winemaker would document that? This is not specifically criticizing this winemaker but more in general. Personally I tend to stay away from a purchase if I don't know the wine and see little or blurry information... but maybe that is just me.

terlatofamilyvineyards

klezman wrote:This is where I am as well. But I do love a good rose. I'd like to know more about the specifics of the production. Contact time, saignee or bleed from other fermentations, etc. Mid 20's brix seems a little high for rose grapes. Also what's the pH/TA?

Please feel free to have a look at the offer details, which does indicate method of production and grape varietals.

Method is saignee (French for bleed) and grape varietals are merlot and Cabernet franc. These are grape varietals that we use in our regular production so want to be sure grapes are ripened to our satisfaction/needs when harvested. (Manning skins seed and pulp are ripened) Brix is not only a measure of sugar content, but is also a indicator of ripeness. Also recall that sugar is fermented to alcohol and the alcohol in this wine is 14.2%. Alcohol is counterbalanced by acidity, flavor and fruit. Acidity in this wine is characterized as "bright" but not overwhelmingly so and it is the underlying acidity of a wine that provides structure. The idea is to harvest the grapes when all of these elements are aligned, or as aligned as they can be given the growing conditions of that vintage. I will check the production records for the actual pH/TA measure and come back to you shortly. Hope this helps.
Jt

wootatoottoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatoottoot

Am I missing something?

Direct sale is $100 for 12 + $50 shipping + sales tax.

Woot "deal" is $150 for 12 + $5 shipping + sales tax

So deal is truly a relative term here? Overprice the wine to look good for cheap shipping.

Sorry but really, really disapointed with what is going on at Woot right now.

This is not a comment on the quality of the wine which I have not heard a negative comment about.

j105

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j105

I've always found Rose too sweet but sounds like this is the one to try...in for one

terlatofamilyvineyards

andreaserben wrote:Lately I have seen some winemakers coming to the forum seemingly unprepared. While I applaud every single winemaker to come here and it is for me a strong pro 'buy' motivator to see them here, it baffles me that basic information such as 'brix at harvest' e.g. in this case cannot be provided precisely. "something in the mid 20s" is not very precise for example. I would assume that every winemaker would document that? This is not specifically criticizing this winemaker but more in general. Personally I tend to stay away from a purchase if I don't know the wine and see little or blurry information... but maybe that is just me.

sphervey

quality posts: 38 Private Messages sphervey

Found rave reviews for the 2007. How do the 2009 and 2010 compare?

This winery visit includes brief comments on the 2010 rose:

http://www.winetrailtraveler.com/california/rutherfordhill.php

sphervey

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:Please feel free to have a look at the offer details, which does indicate method of production and grape varietals.

Method is saignee (French for bleed) and grape varietals are merlot and Cabernet franc. These are grape varietals that we use in our regular production so want to be sure grapes are ripened to our satisfaction/needs when harvested. (Manning skins seed and pulp are ripened) Brix is not only a measure of sugar content, but is also a indicator of ripeness. Also recall that sugar is fermented to alcohol and the alcohol in this wine is 14.2%. Alcohol is counterbalanced by acidity, flavor and fruit. Acidity in this wine is characterized as "bright" but not overwhelmingly so and it is the underlying acidity of a wine that provides structure. The idea is to harvest the grapes when all of these elements are aligned, or as aligned as they can be given the growing conditions of that vintage. I will check the production records for the actual pH/TA measure and come back to you shortly. Hope this helps.
Jt

There is clearly a price differential between the 2009 and the "new release" 2010. Can you describe the difference between the two wines and what makes the 2010 a better year? Thank you.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
wootatoottoot wrote:Am I missing something?

So deal is truly a relative term here? Overprice the wine to look good for cheap shipping.

This is not a comment on the quality of the wine which I have not heard a negative comment about.

Confused by what you mean by "direct sale". If that means from the winery, list is $22.00. So 12 bottles would be $264, not $100. Where is a case of this $100?

j105

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j105

you need a new abacus...woot's $12 and change a bottle and the winery is$22...I can't even find any '09...

jhrdy724

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhrdy724
kaolis wrote:Confused by what you mean by "direct sale". If that means from the winery, list is $22.00. So 12 bottles would be $264, not $100. Where is a case of this $100?

See Here
This is only the 2009, not half 2010. BUT it does come out cheaper by $12 for me if I were to buy a case direct.

***EDIT*** Looks like you can't link directly to the case. Under current releases, it's the 8th or 9th in the list

terlatofamilyvineyards

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:

To be fair (and transparent), I am the owner of Rutherford Hill Winery a not the wine maker.

Marisa Taylor is the winemaker, and not only is she a wonderful person, she IMHO, is a incredibly talented winemaker (a perspective which has been supported for years by wine writers and critics galore). If she were on the boards with us today, she would surely rattle off very precise answers to these questions. I however would want to reference our production records to be accurate.

And please know that we do keep meticulous harvest and production records for a multiplicity of data points. It's a mind boggling array of information in fact. Please look to the discussion board later for precise answers to brix and actual pH/TA.

Please also note that my answer regarding alcohol and residual sugar was very precise. Brix is the measure of sugar content in he grapes at harvest and sugar is converted to alcohol through fermentation. So while sugar is an interesting start of the conversation, alcohol and residual sugar measurements are the end result of the winemaking process and the elements most perceived in a finished wine. That is why we, as owners, focus on discussions of alcohol and residual sugar, as that is often more relevant to that which the a wine consumer tastes in finished wines.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

John

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
jhrdy724 wrote:See Here
This is only the 2009, not half 2010. BUT it does come out cheaper by $12 for me if I were to buy a case direct.

***EDIT*** Looks like you can't link directly to the case. Under current releases, it's the 8th or 9th in the list

Sorry, I'm still confused. I do now see where there is a 10% discount from the winery on a case. And 20% off for club members. But nowhere do I see a discount that brings it down to $100 a case as you stated. If the club is discount is still $17+ a bottle, plus ship/tax.

***EDIT*** Got it! The case of '09 for $100.

jhrdy724

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhrdy724
kaolis wrote:Sorry, I'm still confused. I do now see where there is a 10% discount from the winery on a case. And 20% off for club members. But nowhere do I see a discount that brings it down to $100 a case as you stated. If the club is discount is still $17+ a bottle, plus ship/tax.

From the link in my previous post, click the 'Current Releases' button. The 8th item is the case. Labeled "Dozen Rose 2009". Non- club pricing is $100, shipping and tax to Georgia came out to $53.
My Woot Pricing came out to $165.87 versus $153. However direct purchase would be 12x 2009, while Woot would be 6x 2009 and 6x 2010.

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:To be fair (and transparent), I am the owner of Rutherford Hill Winery a not the wine maker.

Marisa Taylor is the winemaker, and not only is she a wonderful person, she IMHO, is a incredibly talented winemaker (a perspective which has been supported for years by wine writers and critics galore). If she were on the boards with us today, she would surely rattle off very precise answers to these questions. I however would want to reference our production records to be accurate.

And please know that we do keep meticulous harvest and production records for a multiplicity of data points. It's a mind boggling array of information in fact. Please look to the discussion board later for precise answers to brix and actual pH/TA.

Please also note that my answer regarding alcohol and residual sugar was very precise. Brix is the measure of sugar content in he grapes at harvest and sugar is converted to alcohol through fermentation. So while sugar is an interesting start of the conversation, alcohol and residual sugar measurements are the end result of the winemaking process and the elements most perceived in a finished wine. That is why we, as owners, focus on discussions of alcohol and residual sugar, as that is often more relevant to that which the a wine consumer tastes in finished wines.

John

Thank you for your input, and more importantly, your wines. We've enjoyed several of your Cabernet Sauvignons and Merlots over the years, but haven't made it out to taste your Reserve Merlot and other smaller production wines -- didn't know you all make a Merlot Rosè. Definitely will visit next trip to Napa.

Cheers!

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Checked out the link and price to So. Cal would be $142.75
($100 for wine, $30 shipping & $12.75 tax)
You really need to due "Due diligence" with woot wine lately, Sad......,

klezman

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:To be fair (and transparent), I am the owner of Rutherford Hill Winery a not the wine maker.

John

Hi John,
Thank you for the transparency. You've been here before, so you probably know that this group is very knowledgeable and wants to know all the nitty gritty details. My question about brix at harvest was partially to get at the ripeness/flavour profile, but also to get at the question of whether this is a rose grown and raised, or the leftovers from red wine production. One isn't clearly superior to the other, but you do tend to get different flavour and acidity profiles. I know the offer page says it had short skin contact time, partial ML and barrel age, etc, but that's not enough information to answer the question I ask. Your first answer indicated that this was a rose from ground to bottle, while your second answer said is was a saignee, which iirc is often used to concentrate red wine and increase extraction by increasing the skin:juice ratio. Any more specific information on the winemaking techniques for this rose would be greatly appreciated. It's also harder for white and rose since the techniques used are more variable than for most red wines. So we ask more questions

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
fredrinaldi wrote:Checked out the link and price to So. Cal would be $142.75
($100 for wine, $30 shipping & $12.75 tax)
You really need to due "Due diligence" with woot wine lately, Sad......,

You'd be better served to cut the case price in half, then throw in 6 of the 2010. That'd be a better indicator yes? You can't base this by saying, well 12 of the 09 is X amount from the winery, cause your'e not getting 12 of the 09. Someone (not me) needs to figure out the cost of shipping of six 09 and six 10 and then tell me if this is a good deal.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

John

John, thanks very much for hanging out.

John is HIGHLY respected in this business. a real treat to have him join us.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

If we only compare case prices it is missing the point. We have a chance to try something with a 4 pack, with cheap shipping.

Not sure I have had a merlot rose before.... wonder if this would be a good palate cleanse during the Vintage Merlot night coming up. Hmm...

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

In general rose' wines should be consumed very young. Are these vintages past their prime?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
tenoreprimo wrote:In general rose' wines should be consumed very young. Are these vintages past their prime?

That is a very big generallity actually. Very often Rose made in the French style (as this is) hold up much better to aging due to their dryness and acidity and other factors. I have a couple of bottles of 07 Rose from Provence that are still drinking wonderfully.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman

North316 wrote:That is a very big generallity actually. Very often Rose made in the French style (as this is) hold up much better to aging due to their dryness and acidity and other factors. I have a couple of bottles of 07 Rose from Provence that are still drinking wonderfully.

I had a 10 year old Pinot Rose a couple years ago that was drinking beautifully. Very fresh, but with some secondary notes. So yeah, while rose can go almost directly from fermenter to bottle to gullet it can also hang out a while in between.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Fine, if your'e in for three here's what you're looking at.

6 x 2009

6 x 2010

if you get a case of 09 from the winery it's 100 bucks, cut it in half since you're only getting six here and your'e at 50

so from winery

6 2009 = $50

the 2010 is $22 per bottle winery

6 2010 = $132

$132 + $50 = $182 without tax/shipping if you could recreate this from the winery (you can't).

Woot price = $149.97 without tax/shipping

$182 - $149.97 = $32.07

Woot wins the battle of apples and oranges!

I'm going to go hide back in the pub now.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

sphervey

Winedavid39 wrote:John, thanks very much for hanging out.

John is HIGHLY respected in this business. a real treat to have him join us.

I would still like to know the difference (besides percentage of Merlot/Cab Franc) between the 2009 and 2010. The 2010 is clearly worth more but I'd like to know why. Thanks.

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

John

No apologies necessary. Thanks for participating.
As an aside--and I'll probably get bricks thrown at me for saying this--but I've never seen a board more concerned with Brix/PH/TA than the Wine Wooters.
I know they are valid and real metrics, but I frequent some seriously geeky wine places--both in the real world and digitally-- and these items literally never come up.
I pass no judgement, just making an observation.
[Ducks]

LDD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LDD

How long can these wines be stored before drinking

LDD

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
dah7m wrote:No apologies necessary. Thanks for participating.
As an aside--and I'll probably get bricks thrown at me for saying this--but I've never seen a board more concerned with Brix/PH/TA than the Wine Wooters.
I know they are valid and real metrics, but I frequent some seriously geeky wine places--both in the real world and digitally-- and these items literally never come up.
[Ducks]

I think the reason is that here at W.W., we have access to the numbers. Retailers don't know the numbers. The only real source for them is the wine maker/team and since we at W.W. are so spoiled in having direct access to the wine maker/team -- this is what makes W.W. so unique, IMO -- we can ask questions and actually get answers when we wouldn't generally be able to otherwise.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
[Ducks]

No throwing brix... I'll give you my view. Yes, many of us like to see the geeky numbers. Here's why I personally like the numbers - most of the wines on woot I have not tasted. If I am lucky, a fellow wooter has tasted the wine and is able to share their notes. If not, then I have very few data points to use in determining if the wine it is something that I think I would like. I know the basic number ranges for the style of wine I prefer, so it provides one more data point that I use when deciding to buy a wine that I've never had. Is it the end-all be-all? Absolutely not. Winery participation, decent CT tasting notes by known people, and a host of other things all factor in. But when taking somewhat of a gamble on usually 3-6 bottles of untasted wine, I want all the information I can get.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
jhrdy724 wrote:From the link in my previous post, click the 'Current Releases' button. The 8th item is the case. Labeled "Dozen Rose 2009". Non- club pricing is $100, shipping and tax to Georgia came out to $53.
My Woot Pricing came out to $165.87 versus $153. However direct purchase would be 12x 2009, while Woot would be 6x 2009 and 6x 2010.

You're in Georgia? Come to the wine.woot gathering in Atlanta! Here's the link to the thread.
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5315846&pageindex=1&replycount=17

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
[Ducks]

People's opinions can vary greatly on wines and how they are described. But the numbers typically are a way to cut through all the subjective and know right way if its your preferred style of wine. I for one wished that wineries would put chemistry info. On the bottle along with a taste profile. But typically you get neither.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:People's opinions can vary greatly on wines and how they are described. But the numbers typically are a way to cut through all the subjective and know right way if its your preferred style of wine. I for one wished that wineries would put chemistry info. On the bottle along with a taste profile. But typically you get neither.

I'd prefer chemistry numbers on the bottle about 7,430 times mroe than the stupid, winery/marketing blurb on the back label.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:
Woot wins the battle of apples and oranges!

I'm going to go hide back in the pub now.

Orange wine, check, we just got that.

Spreadsheets, yeah, could use them again.

CT