Cesare

quality posts: 1695 Private Messages Cesare

Electric Houdini Corkscrew
$28.99 $̶4̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 28% off List Price

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3908 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at Amazon

note2001

quality posts: 27 Private Messages note2001

I'm ready to die... I've seen everything now.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

hmmz - looks similar to the stuff that Aldi puts in their stores once a year for about $15 or on clearance for $10.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

This is a great alternative to learning how to open a bottle of wine.

Now if woot could only find me a deal on something to open these screw cap bottles without having to twist it myself, I'd be set.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Bought something similar for my 80 yr. old in-laws. Works great when they remember to charge it!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Cesare wrote:Electric Houdini Corkscrew
$28.99 $̶4̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 28% off List Price

Website

It's Thursday! Non-wine day.

True, but it usually is a Whine Day.

Note that this will not work well on old wine. Nor on Screw Tops!!

Old wine corks are more sensitive, and will need an Ah-So, not one of these.

But these will work for most wine.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:True, but it usually is a Whine Day.

Agree! Some of the older corks won't work well with this, as the corkscrew more or les pulls the cork out as it twists (instead of being fully inserted into the cork before pulling when using a handheld).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

I got a similar Corkscrew opener at Kohls for around $15. The things work great. While it seems like something so small, I love the tin cutter. Makes a perfect cut every time. Also useful for putting the cork back in the bottle, which can be a hassle sometimes.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

michoutdoors

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michoutdoors

Good luck sneaking another bottle of red at midnight. You will wake the whole house. Other than that, these are pretty fun. This price isn't, though. I think the buyers at Woot are negotiating price over too many bottles of red and white. Lay off the grape, Woot, and bring us more deals like in days gone by. Saying no to Woot everyday is a bummer. Saying no to Woot makes me want to have a glass of wine. See how this all comes full circle? Maybe I do need another one of these....wait! Nice try, Woot. Nice try.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Actually, with screwcaps, it not only open its, but turns it into an aerator!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady
loveladyelectric wrote:Now if woot could only find me a deal on something to open these screw cap bottles without having to twist it myself, I'd be set.

Keep an eye on Home.Woot for the Hitachi hammer drill. Works great!

lusluckylad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lusluckylad

...because twisting is so much work.

blkbam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkbam

These electronic corkscrews are only good for a year or two of use before the multiple chargings wears down the battery to the point of not being able to remove one cork fully. You should check check out something along the lines of this one. Though this one has average reviews, others like it hold up far better than the electric ones.

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

Happy Non-Wine Woot Day Everyone. (I'm finally getting the hang of this)

If you think this is overkill, it isn't. These are really great for your friends and family who either refuse to attempt a traditional corkscrew or are intimidated by the opening process. Stelvin's are of course a great alternative but they still represent a small part of the wine population outside of New Zealand and Australia. For those of us who actually enjoy the traditional closure, I'll stick to my handy laguiole corkswrew

-Ryan
http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia

Alton Brown chose this as his preferred way of extracting corks, so if you feel like this is beneath you, you might want to check yourself.

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Wondering if it would work on those Chards we got from WineSmith the other day, and other such bottles we struggle with.

And your sig still scrolls.
icftfy, with a little help from a mod.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:Happy Non-Wine Woot Day Everyone. (I'm finally getting the hang of this)

If you think this is overkill, it isn't. These are really great for your friends and family who either refuse to attempt a traditional corkscrew or are intimidated by the opening process. Stelvin's are of course a great alternative but they still represent a small part of the wine population outside of New Zealand and Australia. For those of us who actually enjoy the traditional closure, I'll stick to my handy laguiole corkswrew

-Ryan

Put your blog in your signature like normal people!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ugadog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ugadog

I concur with the others. These type openers are nice, but we don't drink wine that often and fail to keep it charged. We sadly end up having to use the cheapo opener that we keep in the drawer. If you drink wine regularly and are willing to keep this on the counter and plugged in all the time then go for it.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ugadog wrote:I concur with the others. These type openers are nice, but we don't drink wine that often and fail to keep it charged. We sadly end up having to use the cheapo opener that we keep in the drawer. If you drink wine regularly and are willing to keep this on the counter and plugged in all the time then go for it.

It's the bats, I just knew it was the bats.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Put your blog in your signature like normal people!!!

normal people on woot?

of course, we're normal for woot I guess.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

We have the metrokane electric, which I imagine is pretty much the same thing.

I was very skeptical at first, thought it was the biggest waste ever.

Now I LOVE it. easily my favorite gift from christmas. Works much better than I expected, and it holds charge for much longer than I thought.

CT

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:Happy Non-Wine Woot Day Everyone. (I'm finally getting the hang of this)

-Ryan

what manner of laguiole do you use? just curious since it's pretty much a generic term....

gatormays

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatormays

Does it normally take almost 2 weeks for Woot items to be shipped? First two items ordered from Woot and neither have shipped 18 days following the order date. Frustrating ...

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gatormays wrote:Does it normally take almost 2 weeks for Woot items to be shipped? First two items ordered from Woot and neither have shipped 18 days following the order date. Frustrating ...

sorry for the frustrations. we don't want you to be frustrated.

it can sometimes take longer for Wine.Woot items to be processed delivered.
(our FAQ says it can take up to 2-3 weeks).

please email Support@Woot.com and let them know you're waiting on two items so they can provide you with specific order details.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.