WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you think tasting notes are mostly just BS?
  • 19.9% - Oh, yes. Who can taste anything that deeply without being told what’s there? 176
  • 7.9% - Oh, no. I know first hand how complex a good wine can be. 70
  • 41.4% - Well, maybe sometimes. Like, I don’t know the difference between dark cherry and ripe cherry. 366
  • 16.7% - I don’t drink wine. 148
  • 14% - I don’t read. 124
884 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Kyle tells me they're useless without a 100 point scale.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
loveladyelectric wrote:Kyle tells me they're useless without a 100 point scale.

LIES! he prefers a 50 point scale augmented by 50 points and tasting notes that carefully note what flavors the biodynamic farming brings to the wine!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Are we filling up horns with sh..? The moon looks right.

I find tasting notes helpful, especially once I know if my own palate aligns with the tasters. Professional reviews/tasting notes (not points) can be hit or miss.

thejenandonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejenandonly

Wine.Woot! gets 10 bonus points on this poll for making me laugh at 8am... on a Wednesday... at work.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
loveladyelectric wrote:Kyle tells me they're useless without a 100 point scale.

Tastings notes can be very helpful. However, they can also get absurd. I once read a debate between two tasters about the difference between the leather taste in wine. Certainly it exists. However, these two id1ots were arguing about what kind of leather. Feminine leather is more like saddle leather while masculine leather is more worn, like a boot. Go kill yourselves!

Types of fruit (red, blue/black), bright or dark, earth (tar, dirt, mushroom), floral, and oak (butter, smoke, vanilla, caramel) etc. are all very helpful.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

Tasting notes' value depends entirely on the taster's palate and ability to express oneself.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!