trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
ajrod27 wrote:Baked brie, wrapped in a pie crust, stuffed with craisins, walnuts, brown sugar and aged balsamic. Served with crackers.



Sounds delicious. I may need to take an aspirin early in the day...

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
ajrod27 wrote:Baked brie, wrapped in a pie crust, stuffed with craisins, walnuts, brown sugar and aged balsamic. Served with crackers.



I'm bringing my blinders to this one

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:I'm bringing my blinders to this one



Agreed. Should I bring your wine by your place this week? I need some garage space... If not they may be subject to opening on Saturday.

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
trifecta wrote:Agreed. Should I bring your wine by your place this week? I need some garage space... If not they may be subject to opening on Saturday.



Totally up to you, I can pick 'em up Saturday. I'm not opposed to cracking open extra bottles either

Or we could just crack one open one weeknight before the weekend, you know, in the name of science to tune up our palates

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:Totally up to you, I can pick 'em up Saturday. I'm not opposed to cracking open extra bottles either

Or we could just crack one open one weeknight before the weekend, you know, in the name of science to tune up our palates



I am all for science... so may day after next. On the plus side, at least all those bottles are standing up and ready for opening!

I have a buddy coming from work so I added a bottle to the confirmed list.

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
trifecta wrote:I am all for science... so may day after next. On the plus side, at least all those bottles are standing up and ready for opening!

I have a buddy coming from work so I added a bottle to the confirmed list.



Just let me know, I'm happy to crack a few of those open

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Only 1 more day!

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:Only 1 more day!

jealous


CT

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
trifecta wrote:Only 1 more day!


So show up between 5 and 6 or?

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
CAGrl wrote:So show up between 5 and 6 or?



Yep! Anytime after 5 is great.

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:jealous



So should we post notes or will that just make it worse?

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

3 bottles open, no broken corks, no corked bottles. So far so good. Have pics that will go up later once someone teaches me where to put them on the internet .

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:So should we post notes or will that just make it worse?

The MN group had pics, I'd expect no less from the vets in NorCal, and notes are nice.

I'll find a cork to pull here and think of you next weekend we we gather in SoCal.



CT

trifecta


quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Thanks to everyone for attending last night! We had a great time.

The most surprising element of the wines last night was the consistency. More than any of our other vintage nights, there were no duds in the lineup and all were holding up very well. Here is a photo of all the bottles... and every single one was finished, no half bottles for me to drink today

Left to Right:
-‘88 Benziger Sonoma Mountain Merlot
-'95 Paoletti Merlot (Napa)
-'00 Hawley Merlot (Sonoma - Dry Creek Bradford Mountain)
-'93 Jade Mountain Merlot (Napa)
-'99 Andrew Will Merlot Klipsun Vineyard (Red Mountain, Walla Walla)
-'00 Robert Keenan Winery Merlot Reserve (Napa - Spring Mountain)
'01 Reininger Merlot (Walla Walla)
-'95 Kendall Jackson Merlot Vintner's Reserve (Sonoma)
-01 Azalea Springs Merlot (Napa)



Despite bseverns continued efforts to persuade everyone that his Keenan was the best wine of the night, the biggest surprise and best wine of the night IMO was the 1999 Andrew Will Klipsun Vineyard Merlot (Red Mountain, Walla Walla) thanks to CAGrl.

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
trifecta wrote:Thanks to everyone for attending last night! We had a great time.

The most surprising element of the wines last night was the consistency. More than any of our other vintage nights, there were no duds in the lineup and all were holding up very well. Here is a photo of all the bottles... and every single one was finished, no half bottles for me to drink today

Left to Right:
-‘88 Benziger Sonoma Mountain Merlot
-'95 Paoletti Merlot (Napa)
-'00 Hawley Merlot (Sonoma - Dry Creek Bradford Mountain)
-'93 Jade Mountain Merlot (Napa)
-'99 Andrew Will Merlot Klipsun Vineyard (Red Mountain, Walla Walla)
-'00 Robert Keenan Winery Merlot Reserve (Napa - Spring Mountain)
'01 Reininger Merlot (Walla Walla)
-'95 Kendall Jackson Merlot Vintner's Reserve (Sonoma)
-01 Azalea Springs Merlot (Napa)



Despite bseverns continued efforts to persuade everyone that his Keenan was the best wine of the night, the biggest surprise and best wine of the night IMO was the 1999 Andrew Will Klipsun Vineyard Merlot (Red Mountain, Walla Walla) thanks to CAGrl.



Thanks for hosting this, we had a great time. I still stand by my Keenan Actually for me the biggest surprise was the 1988 Benziger Sonoma Mountain Merlot, still drinking great with a fair amount of fruit. All were pretty darn good though, especially considering many were just made to be "average" daily drinker wines, not high end Napa valley reserves.

Merlot may well be the unsung hero of QPR for reds.