North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:I swear I need to learn to pay attention. Walmart has the one that looks like mine in stock with free ship to store. See price here. Good price. There is a newer version that looks fancier, but probably isn't worth the extra 80 bucks. Also, if this isn't a have to have it now thing, maybe wait two months when people start getting these kinds of things back in stock.

You could also get one of those fancy Bradley smokers that self feeds the wood, but I don't like them cause you have to use their wood pellets. Same with like Traeger and their ilk. Though with Traeger you can also use it as a grill.

Also, I should mention I have a Masterbuilt cause I got a smoking (I slay me) deal on it, not because its the best most greatest smoker. I really like it though, for a first smoker I think it's perfect. If you find you really really like smoking, it may be something you'll upgrade. Hell I had a Charbroil smoker for 3 months, found out I love the process, stumbled on this deal, liked it WAY better than my Charbroil and pounced.

Since we're on the topic, have smoked any fish, specifically salmon? I got a smoker for x-mas and may be bringing out soon since it's starting to warm up a bit outside and I am really anxious to smoke some salmon.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
North316 wrote:Since we're on the topic, have smoked any fish, specifically salmon? I got a smoker for x-mas and may be bringing out soon since it's starting to warm up a bit outside and I am really anxious to smoke some salmon.

This, and ribs, will be the first!

edit: f'n woot filters

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:Since we're on the topic, have smoked any fish, specifically salmon? I got a smoker for x-mas and may be bringing out soon since it's starting to warm up a bit outside and I am really anxious to smoke some salmon.

I have not, no one in my house will eat fish except me. I want to, but I can't justify the cost of a side of salmon that only I will eat when I can damn near buy two pork butts and everyone in the neighborhood can eat.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:This, and ribs, will be the first!

No, no it won't. Smoke a chicken and a pork butt first. These are darn near fool proof and will give you an idea of how things work in your smoker and what seasonings you enjoy. Also, if you do ribs, I see no reason to invest in a rib rack. I don't have one and mine turn out fine. The real key to ribs is you bring them about 10 degrees from target temp, then you take them, wrap them in heavy duty foil and stash them in a cooler for three hours. They'll come up to temp no problem and be absolutely perfect every time.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:This, and ribs, will be the first!

When you get this smoker and used it a few times to get it perfect, I will be expecting a Minnesota woot gathering to officially christen it.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

otolith

coynedj wrote:When you get this smoker and used it a few times to get it perfect, I will be expecting a Minnesota woot gathering to officially christen it.

I'm sure that could be arranged. Just need to find the right one to put into the amazon shopping cart to test the waters when SWMBO looks around.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

bhodilee wrote:No, no it won't. Smoke a chicken and a pork butt first. These are darn near fool proof and will give you an idea of how things work in your smoker and what seasonings you enjoy. Also, if you do ribs, I see no reason to invest in a rib rack. I don't have one and mine turn out fine. The real key to ribs is you bring them about 10 degrees from target temp, then you take them, wrap them in heavy duty foil and stash them in a cooler for three hours. They'll come up to temp no problem and be absolutely perfect every time.

Fine. I want to find the honey smoked salmon recipe to try to copy the costco honey-smoked salmon.

--John Muir

North316

otolith wrote:Fine. I want to find the honey smoked salmon recipe to try to copy the costco honey-smoked salmon.

Yes, yes and yes. I'm assuming you mean the one they sell, not necessarily a Costco (kirkland) branded one. I have not seen a Kirkland branded one here, but I absolutely love the one that they sell.

My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:No, no it won't. Smoke a chicken and a pork butt first. These are darn near fool proof and will give you an idea of how things work in your smoker and what seasonings you enjoy. Also, if you do ribs, I see no reason to invest in a rib rack. I don't have one and mine turn out fine. The real key to ribs is you bring them about 10 degrees from target temp, then you take them, wrap them in heavy duty foil and stash them in a cooler for three hours. They'll come up to temp no problem and be absolutely perfect every time.

+1 or whatever

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
otolith wrote:Ohhh, a dust collector!

Only if it's out of the box!!

Also an electric corkscrew (gift).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

It's really hard to light them, and puffing ... err, sorry, wrong smoking.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 33 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's really hard to light them, and puffing ... err, sorry, wrong smoking.

Feeble. Must be a slow day.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Feeble. Must be a slow day.

It's Friday!!!

Edit: And I hadn't had my coffee yet!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Long day at school.. last Friday before our spring break.... the kids at school were definitely ready for the break next week.. strange weather today, it was 40 in the morning and I froze while standing outside doing "car duty". by the time school let out, we were 76!!

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
North316 wrote:Yes, yes and yes. I'm assuming you mean the one they sell, not necessarily a Costco (kirkland) branded one. I have not seen a Kirkland branded one here, but I absolutely love the one that they sell.

Honey Smoked Fish Company? That's who our costco stocks, and they are local.

otolith

joelsisk wrote:Honey Smoked Fish Company? That's who our costco stocks, and they are local.

YES! IT IS AWESOME!

--John Muir

North316

joelsisk wrote:Honey Smoked Fish Company? That's who our costco stocks, and they are local.

Yup, that's the one. Fish Crack.

My CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
otolith wrote:Also, I hope HAK and CAT are doing well in their travels.

Aww, thank you . Sorry I've been AWOL since the move started. I'm pretty well settled into my parents' house, and HAK has been dealing with all my stuff up at his place. My cat is trying to get used to my mom... Truffles doesn't like mom for some reason. Heading up to HAK's tomorrow.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Aww, thank you . Sorry I've been AWOL since the move started. I'm pretty well settled into my parents' house, and HAK has been dealing with all my stuff up at his place. My cat is trying to get used to my mom... Truffles doesn't like mom for some reason. Heading up to HAK's tomorrow.

Please don't mind the mess....I would have cleaned before your visit, but someone's stuff has been in my way.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Please don't mind the mess....I would have cleaned before your visit, but someone's stuff has been in my way.

This could be entering new ground - what capabilities does cellertracker offer for merging cellars?

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Taking a red eye from LAX to Orlando international and the plane is not operational so now I get to deplane and wait an hour for another one. Just awesome guys!

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 185 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:Taking a red eye from LAX to Orlando international and the plane is not operational so now I get to deplane and wait an hour for another one. Just awesome guys!

Carrier?

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
nematic wrote:This could be entering new ground - what capabilities does cellertracker offer for merging cellars?

CT has a feature where you can export all your cellar information to an excel spreadsheet.

Possibly you could export a spreadsheet for each cellar, add the contents of one spreadsheet to the other and then import it back into CT. That should create a merge of the two!

I would create a new account to test the theory though; wouldn't want to destroy years of CT entries

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:Carrier?

American air
And for one day I'm an east coast wine wooter.

CT

otolith

North316 wrote:Yup, that's the one. Fish Crack.

Might have to try this recipe at some point in time.

--John Muir

mommadeb1

cortot20 wrote:American air
And for one day I'm an east coast wine wooter.

welcome.... tho I do have to say, I hate the Orlando airport......only flew out of there a couple of times.... yuck!!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo
mommadeb1 wrote:welcome.... tho I do have to say, I hate the Orlando airport......only flew out of there a couple of times.... yuck!!

Really? I've never had any problems there. I've always found their security the easiest to blow through quickly.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
mommadeb1 wrote:welcome.... tho I do have to say, I hate the Orlando airport......only flew out of there a couple of times.... yuck!!

O em gee MCO is the WORST airport to fly out of...

Getting through security is sooo trying there. It's the definition of a nightmare airport- it's busy and has high proportions of three major categories of people that gum up the works at an airport: infrequent travelers, old people, and children!

And then you get stuck waiting for half the plane to pre-board because 9yo Johnny and 11yo Becky are close enough to infants, only to endure a flight that is guaranteed to have surly flight attendants and screaming babies.

Itwdswafo wrote:Really? I've never had any problems there. I've always found their security the easiest to blow through quickly.

Seriously? You must have gotten REALLY lucky.

mommadeb1

Itwdswafo wrote:Really? I've never had any problems there. I've always found their security the easiest to blow through quickly.

You can't be serious? I find their security horrible... the last time we flew out, the screener dude was yelling at a lady because she said she traveled so much, she was an expert in packing, he raised his voice and asked many questions to her "since you are an expert... I am sure you.....put your liquids in a zip bag.... "etc.. it was horrible. and just trying to get from where they check your id to get to the xray station... they had 4 lines funneled into 1. So if you were on the right side you got in quickly, if you were on the left side you had to fight your way thru the 3 lines that were to your right.... horrible... not nice screeners....I shudder.

MarkDaSpark

"Spring forward, Fall back"

In case someone needs bagels ...

And remember for Monday ...

I'm sleeping all day Monday!

cortot20

mommadeb1 wrote:You can't be serious? I find their security horrible... the last time we flew out, the screener dude was yelling at a lady because she said she traveled so much, she was an expert in packing, he raised his voice and asked many questions to her "since you are an expert... I am sure you.....put your liquids in a zip bag.... "etc.. it was horrible. and just trying to get from where they check your id to get to the xray station... they had 4 lines funneled into 1. So if you were on the right side you got in quickly, if you were on the left side you had to fight your way thru the 3 lines that were to your right.... horrible... not nice screeners....I shudder.

I went through just fine. Especially for a busy morning there. Now I am home and going to get my 7th hour of sleep this weekend. Oh and a sandwich.

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

So back to the smoker. Is that something that can just stay outside or does it need to be garaged of covered. Finding space in the garage is a non-starter, and remembering to cover it up after it has had time to cool is also highly unlikely.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

MarkDaSpark

UBlink wrote:So back to the smoker. Is that something that can just stay outside or does it need to be garaged of covered. Finding space in the garage is a non-starter, and remembering to cover it up after it has had time to cool is also highly unlikely.

Probably like a BBQ ... Cover for rain/snow/hail/etc. to protect from the elements. Less fading from sun damage as well, I would imagine.

mommadeb1

cortot20 wrote:I went through just fine. Especially for a busy morning there. Now I am home and going to get my 7th hour of sleep this weekend. Oh and a sandwich.

glad to hear you didn't have any problems!!

gilda345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gilda345
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Missouri gathering is happening April 6!

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

Choices for dinner. Après ski spaghetti:
Cotturi merlot 1998. Maclise vineyard
Icon ravenswood
Noceto Sangiovese 2008
Plush Pinot 2010
Semiprecious vice 2005 old vine

Anyone?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 33 Private Messages ddeuddeg
winefarm wrote:Choices for dinner. Après ski spaghetti:
Icon ravenswood
Noceto Sangiovese 2008
Plush Pinot 2010

Anyone?

Tough call. I'd go with either the Ravenswood or the Noceto. Don't know the Icon at all, but the description sounds really interesting. May have to find some.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

We were talking smokers tonight, and SWMBO said that that's what she was going to get me for my bday. I asked her if she had done any research, to which she hadn't. Well, I told her to research no more...hehe

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

winefarm wrote:Choices for dinner. Après ski spaghetti:
Icon ravenswood
Noceto Sangiovese 2008
Plush Pinot 2010

Anyone?

I think rj and I had the Noceto yesterday at Family Winemakers. It was good (but not as good as the Riserva!).

I might also try the Merlot.