Cesare

quality posts: 1618 Private Messages Cesare
otolith wrote:Also, Who Trusts Felix? is with wine.woot charging tax? Did I miss something? Did they open a MN office or is this an amazon thing?

Where have you been? We always paid tax, just calculated separately now. Since the 2/22 offer.
edit: yes!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
Cesare wrote:Where have you been? We always paid tax, just calculated separately now. Since the 2/22 offer.

Apparently the Doc has been on a wine.woot buying hiatus.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Happy Birthday to Molarchae!!!!!

I'll drink to that!
Oh wait...already did!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
Cesare wrote:Where have you been? We always paid tax, just calculated separately now. Since the 2/22 offer.

This is my first purchase sine they started doing it. Will have to read the FAQ prior to more comments....

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:This is my first purchase sine they started doing it. Will have to read the FAQ prior to more comments....

I wasn't aware of it either, since no purchases since the change.

In CT, Amazon agreed to collect sales tax going forward around that time. I suspect this is connected.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
cjsiege wrote:Oh, it will be 50 degrees by the weekend, and 60 on Monday. They'll be fine.

They arrive Tues afternoon! DC doesn't know how to handle snow! According to CJ's post from last night, some areas will get an amount that would close down Buffalo for a few days!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bahwm wrote:They arrive Tues afternoon! DC doesn't know how to handle snow! According to CJ's post from last night, some areas will get an amount that would close down Buffalo for a few days!

Some feat, leaving Thursday AM and arriving Tuesday PM.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
ddeuddeg wrote:Some feat, leaving Thursday AM and arriving Tuesday PM.

As both of you are aware, it's an awful long way from Buffalo to D.C...or perhaps it will just seem so, for the adults along for the ride?

otolith

otolith wrote:This is my first purchase since they started doing it. Will have to read the FAQ prior to more comments....

Read the FAQ, which reveals a paucity of information. I've never been taxed with wine purchases from other wineries when they ship it to me, and, afaik, Amazon doesn't have a deal with MN...yet.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
otolith wrote:Read the FAQ, which reveals a paucity of information. I've never been taxed with wine purchases from other wineries when they ship it to me, and, afaik, Amazon doesn't have a deal with MN...yet.

What I have gathered from staff responses is that as part of the registration process for wineries to sell their juice in other states, they are obligated to pay the state they are registered in sales tax collected from sales in that state. That agreement is between the winery and the state, not amazon and the state.

To deal with this, in the past, Wine.Woot increased the price of the offering to cover this tax. The winery would have varying tax rates in different states, some states having no tax. Regardless of differing tax rates state to state, all wooters were paying a flat rate tax on all Wine.Woot purchases.

(Opinion) I am sure that sometimes the Winery came out on top with this model, maybe lately this hasn't been the case and the winery is having to pay additional sales tax to states because not enough tax was collected? Just a thought. Think if a winery is registered in a bunch of high tax states and not many low or no tax states? Or could just be some new internal system they are moving to or found out this was not the proper way to go about things. Who knows for sure.

So now, if you compare exact deals, past and present, you will see that the pricing on the current deals is lower to accommodate for the flat tax being taken out and the variable state to state tax added to each individual purchase. Here's an example:

2007 Expression 44 Pinot Noir with Blanket Tax at 59.99

2007 Expression 44 Pinot Noir w/ Separate Tax at $54.99

So far, for me, I have come out on top. Save about a dollar or so a woot. For higher priced items in the future, this may not be the case. Those that are in no tax states really benefit. Those in high tax states will likely pay a dollar or two more for their average purchase.

Not any sort of official response nor can I confirm that everything here is 100% accurate, but this is the information I have gathered from staff board responses that makes me feel better about the whole ww tax debate.

Wow - totally did not mean to just write a book on this. I should probably get back to work...lol.

Cesare

quality posts: 1618 Private Messages Cesare

Nothing to do with amazon or anything else. It's all WD.
We should see better offers and more variety because of this. (Wineries didn't like the previous method too much).

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Despite lots of reports to the contrary, Snowquester wasn't a total bust. Just in DC. I had 6 inches, which then compressed down to 1.5 inches, which felt like I was shoveling a freakin' ton because it was so wet. Bleh! At least I scraped the ice chunks out of the driveway before they froze solid.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

@bahwm - do the 8th graders know that the White House is not giving tours, due to the cuts under sequester?

otolith

Cesare wrote:Nothing to do with amazon or anything else. It's all WD.
We should see better offers and more variety because of this. (Wineries didn't like the previous method too much).

Good to know. Instead of having a FAQ, they should just have an "Ask Cesare."

Are you on woot payroll? If not, why?

--John Muir

bahwm

cjsiege wrote:@bahwm - do the 8th graders know that the White House is not giving tours, due to the cuts under sequester?

Oooo, I have no idea. I would like to think that our travel company is aware of that--they usually are on top of things. They are a local group that does student tours. I worked with Linda for our Quebec trips when I first started teaching. Then she started the local company with her husband and now with their son. Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

bahwm wrote:They arrive Tues afternoon! DC doesn't know how to handle snow! According to CJ's post from last night, some areas will get an amount that would close down Buffalo for a few days!

OK, let's change that: they arrive Thursday afternoon! For some strange reason, they are leaving around 5 in the morning! I would so much rather spend the night on the bus as we do! We'll be on the road at 11 PM one week from today--one week from now. We give the kids time to chat and settle in and turn on a video for a while. Then, they settle in for some sleep until we wake them up for the border crossing and then, back to sleep until it gets bright out. It really does work. We hit the ground running on Thursday morning with breakfast, walking tour, lunch, something else and finally, back to the hotel for time to freshen up and out to the mall for dinner, shopping, ice skating, etc. They get back to the hotel exhausted! That's the only way to do it! Keep 'em busy!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I'm really not a lush, but apparently when the Orange crusher is not flawed, it is a pretty damned easy drinker. With dinner and some TV I have gone through 3/4 of a bottle.... on a weeknight.

Time for a walk, then maybe finish it off.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:I'm really not a lush, but apparently when the Orange crusher is not flawed, it is a pretty damned easy drinker. With dinner and some TV I have gone through 3/4 of a bottle.... on a weeknight.

heha, yeah, finished off a bottle a couple nights ago as well. Gotta carve out some time, with help, to open both years to compare. Wonder if they'll do a third year? I may even be able to save a 2010 for a three year vertical.

CT

klezman

Cesare wrote:Nothing to do with amazon or anything else. It's all WD.

Totally get it. Any chance he can explain the tax-on-shipping aspect of it? Or was that a code-monkey mixup?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:OK, let's change that: they arrive Thursday afternoon! For some strange reason, they are leaving around 5 in the morning! I would so much rather spend the night on the bus as we do! We'll be on the road at 11 PM one week from today--one week from now. We give the kids time to chat and settle in and turn on a video for a while. Then, they settle in for some sleep until we wake them up for the border crossing and then, back to sleep until it gets bright out. It really does work. We hit the ground running on Thursday morning with breakfast, walking tour, lunch, something else and finally, back to the hotel for time to freshen up and out to the mall for dinner, shopping, ice skating, etc. They get back to the hotel exhausted! That's the only way to do it! Keep 'em busy!

I want to go on your field trips... so much better than ours are!!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
cmaldoon wrote:I'm really not a lush, but apparently when the Orange crusher is not flawed, it is a pretty damned easy drinker. With dinner and some TV I have gone through 3/4 of a bottle.... on a weeknight.

Can't wait to open mine....

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Totally get it. Any chance he can explain the tax-on-shipping aspect of it? Or was that a code-monkey mixup?

IIRC it's because they don't break out shipping and handling. If they did you would pay tax on handling, but not shipping.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Totally get it. Any chance he can explain the tax-on-shipping aspect of it? Or was that a code-monkey mixup?

Tax-on-shipping is actually quite illegal.

CT

trifecta

trifecta wrote:IIRC it's because they don't break out shipping and handling. If they did you would pay tax on handling, but not shipping.

maybe it's just CA. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/03/business/la-fi-mo-california-internet-shoppers-paying-sales-tax-on-shipping-20121102

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:maybe it's just CA. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/03/business/la-fi-mo-california-internet-shoppers-paying-sales-tax-on-shipping-20121102

While I think most of us saw the writing years ago re: we're going to pay tax on internet sales, eventually, this may be a soapbox issue. While not likely to alter much, tax on goods purchased is pretty clear, as is tax on labor or services that increases the value of goods. Labor to restore/repair goods is, still, not taxed. Clearly this is neither and little more than yet another $$$ grab by cash strapped agencies that spend above their incomes.

Carp, this is looking like it belongs in another thread I've been avoiding...

CT

klezman

trifecta wrote:maybe it's just CA. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/03/business/la-fi-mo-california-internet-shoppers-paying-sales-tax-on-shipping-20121102

Sounds like the way out is simply to just have it "shipping" rather than "shipping and handling". WD?

trifecta

rjquillin wrote:Clearly this is neither and little more than yet another $$$ grab by cash strapped agencies that spend above their incomes.

Carp, this is looking like it belongs in another thread I've been avoiding...

I agree its a cash grab, but it isn't just by the state either. Larger companies are charging the consumer, but then can itemize to the state.

In the case of woot I just kinda shrug my shoulders, for me its only $0.43. For other higher cost shipping items it torques me.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Sounds like the way out is simply to just have it "shipping" rather than "shipping and handling". WD?

It IS just listed as "shipping"!

$59.99 Order Subtotal
$ 5.00 Shipping
$ 5.20 Tax
$70.19 Total

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Well, I think my laptop is hosed. It turns on, then never quite gets to windows before it shuts off. Once it does, it turns off immediately. If I pull the battery I can get to post usually. Doesn't power without the battery at all, which I thought you could pull the battery and just run AC? Whatever, its old. I just don't want to replace it. Maybe I'll get a chrome book.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Well, I think my laptop is hosed. It turns on, then never quite gets to windows before it shuts off. Once it does, it turns off immediately. If I pull the battery I can get to post usually. Doesn't power without the battery at all, which I thought you could pull the battery and just run AC? Whatever, its old. I just don't want to replace it. Maybe I'll get a chrome book.

The "shuts off" part almost sounds like you've picked up some unwanted software baggage.
Have you tried booting safe or from a CD?

CT

bahwm

bhodilee wrote:Well, I think my laptop is hosed. It turns on, then never quite gets to windows before it shuts off. Once it does, it turns off immediately. If I pull the battery I can get to post usually. Doesn't power without the battery at all, which I thought you could pull the battery and just run AC? Whatever, its old. I just don't want to replace it. Maybe I'll get a chrome book.

When stuff like that happens on the PCs at school, they often need to re-image them. Good luck!

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:The "shuts off" part almost sounds like you've picked up some unwanted software baggage.
Have you tried booting safe or from a CD?

Can't get to that point

Edit: So here's the thing. I'm actually highly intelligent, yet I'm a complete dunce! My first thought was, well that battery is shot anyway so it must be the problem. Then I made sure it was plugged in, cause ya know how embarrasing would that be. Still nothing. Come downstairs now that it's dark, go to turn on the light, no light. Look up puzzled, think, I wonder if the damn surge protector is off. Um.....yeah, the switch was flipped. Probably from the two year old trying to drag my tablet out from where it was. Sooooooo stupid and deserving of derision.

Posted from my non functioning laptop. DOH!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Can't get to that point

I'll take the EZ fix every time it's offered.

CT

otolith

rjquillin wrote:I'll take the EZ fix every time it's offered.

Amen!

--John Muir

otolith

Bowtie--given your smoker is out of stock on amazon, what's the newer model I should get?

--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Edit: So here's the thing. I'm actually highly intelligent, yet I'm a complete dunce! My first thought was, well that battery is shot anyway so it must be the problem. Then I made sure it was plugged in, cause ya know how embarrasing would that be. Still nothing. Come downstairs now that it's dark, go to turn on the light, no light. Look up puzzled, think, I wonder if the damn surge protector is off. Um.....yeah, the switch was flipped. Probably from the two year old trying to drag my tablet out from where it was. Sooooooo stupid and deserving of derision.

I've had similar experiences caused by a random light switch operating the outlets. I've been in this house for almost a year and I still don't know what all the light switches do.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Put the laptop back in the box and ship it back .... you know the rest.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

And so tempted by the latest Shirt.Woot offer. Classic lines!

Although I might have gone with "As you wish" equals "I love you".

There's a wine chiller on Home! ... and yes, I already have one.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:
There's a wine chiller on Home! ... and yes, I already have one.

Ohhh, a dust collector!

--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Bowtie--given your smoker is out of stock on amazon, what's the newer model I should get?

I swear I need to learn to pay attention. Walmart has the one that looks like mine in stock with free ship to store. See price here. Good price. There is a newer version that looks fancier, but probably isn't worth the extra 80 bucks. Also, if this isn't a have to have it now thing, maybe wait two months when people start getting these kinds of things back in stock.

You could also get one of those fancy Bradley smokers that self feeds the wood, but I don't like them cause you have to use their wood pellets. Same with like Traeger and their ilk. Though with Traeger you can also use it as a grill.

Also, I should mention I have a Masterbuilt cause I got a smoking (I slay me) deal on it, not because its the best most greatest smoker. I really like it though, for a first smoker I think it's perfect. If you find you really really like smoking, it may be something you'll upgrade. Hell I had a Charbroil smoker for 3 months, found out I love the process, stumbled on this deal, liked it WAY better than my Charbroil and pounced.