MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 3rd.

Welcome Atlanta Wooters! Hope you get a good group on March 30th.

There has been a lot of recent activity in the "looking for helping hands" threads. Anyone willing to put a stake in the ground and spend some time talking it up with friends? Time to get a move on!

March
3/16: NYC #21: Cupcakes
3/22: Minnesota #20: Visitors from Afar
3/30: SoCal #24: Aged Zins
3/30: Atlanta #1

April
4/6: Colorado/Wyoming #?
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

SPARKY!!!

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

X-post from old Pub:

klezman wrote:I've had to develop a blind spot for dancing bananas. All thanks to you.

This is a Wine site sir! Not a Whine site!

And blame bowtie for it. His daughter likes them.

MarkDaSpark

Another one:

polarbear22 wrote:Thanks. We saw that on the news. I think they are having a naming contest. I think he should be Enjay. The PB Enjay.

I'll just stop now.

Too late!

For Klez, who likes Dancing Bananas!

PB & J time

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman

Dancing bananas aside, does anybody want to join in for a weekend of barrel tasting, cooking, and drinking of excellent wine? Some friends and I have a house for Friday and Saturday nights near 101/River Rd. There's still space, and we'll all be bringing some interesting wines to drink both nights.

It's going to be an epic weekend. Barrel tasting plus trips to a few woot favourites plus Ridge (which we can only wish would be a woot winery).

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Victory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Dancing bananas aside, does anybody want to join in for a weekend of barrel tasting, cooking, and drinking of excellent wine? Some friends and I have a house for Friday and Saturday nights near 101/River Rd. There's still space, and we'll all be bringing some interesting wines to drink both nights.

It's going to be an epic weekend. Barrel tasting plus trips to a few woot favourites plus Ridge (which we can only wish would be a woot winery).

What weekend?

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:What weekend?

This weekend

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Victory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:We were at a friend's house the other weekend, and they mentioned that they are going to do a little addition to their house. Part of it will include an outside kitchen. When our friends mentioned that they'll probably get a smoker, SWMBO got pretty excited about that possibility, which I took as permission to buy one. :D

Is this a good deal to those who have or want a smoker?
WHo knew Staples sold smokers?

Or, what would you suggest?

edit: Maybe this one?

No, do not buy those, for any reason. They both appear to be the kind that you have to open the door to load the chips, which you'll need to do a couple times and POOF there goes your smoke and heat!

No, no, you need a better one (not necessarily more expensive, though how hot would a Big Green Egg look on your deck?)

This is mine

Reason's to love it:
1) You load the chips from the side, no need to open the door!
2) it's really well insulated for this style of smoker. Basically a mini fridge with a nice tight seal on the door
3) I like the electric. I know Charcoal is "traditional", but you're already smoking, the charcoal isn't adding anything to it and the temps can get funky. Propane is fine, but you have to fine tune the temps. See what I'm getting at here? On the electric ones like this, you dial up 225 on the keypad, you tell it how long you want to cook (add an hour for heat up time, I like to run it an hour dry first to heat the walls) and you put your food in, change the chips a couple times and BAM! delicious smoked foods.
4) Also, and I just found this out and will be buying it this year, you can buy a cold smoker attachment for any masterbuilt digital smoker so you can make BACON! yourself. Oh, there will be bacon. And cheese I guess, but mainly bacon.
5) Also, note the size of the water pan, this is good in many ways, not hte least of which is catching the drippings. Smoked Turkey Gravy is beyond good.

edit: it should be noted mine is an older model. The new ones come with a remote, for some reason. Anyway here is the Bass Pro Version It's a masterbuilt, just with the bass pro logo. Cabela's sells them as well (sans Bass Pro logo ;) ) I would think you have one of those pretty close yes?

Editier: Really, there are FOUR Cabela's and not ONE Bass Pro in Minnesota? There is no logic in this world.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:No, do not buy those, for any reason. They both appear to be the kind that you have to open the door to load the chips, which you'll need to do a couple times and POOF there goes your smoke and heat!

No, no, you need a better one (not necessarily more expensive, though how hot would a Big Green Egg look on your deck?)

This is mine

Reason's to love it:
2) it's really well insulated for this style of smoker. Basically a mini fridge with a nice tight seal on the door
3) I like the electric. I know Charcoal is "traditional", but you're already smoking, the charcoal isn't adding anything to it and the temps can get funky. Propane is fine, but you have to fine tune the temps. See what I'm getting at here? On the electric ones like this, you dial up 225 on the keypad, you tell it how long you want to cook (add an hour for heat up time, I like to run it an hour dry first to heat the walls) and you put your food in, change the chips a couple times and BAM! delicious smoked foods.
4) Also, and I just found this out and will be buying it this year, you can buy a cold smoker attachment for any masterbuilt digital smoker so you can make BACON! yourself. Oh, there will be bacon. And cheese I guess, but mainly bacon.
5) Also, note the size of the water pan, this is good in many ways, not hte least of which is catching the drippings. Smoked Turkey Gravy is beyond good.

edit: it should be noted mine is an older model. The new ones come with a remote, for some reason. Anyway here is the Bass Pro Version It's a masterbuilt, just with the bass pro logo. Cabela's sells them as well (sans Bass Pro logo ;) ) I would think you have one of those pretty close yes?

Editier: Really, there are FOUR Cabela's and not ONE Bass Pro in Minnesota? There is no logic in this world.

I figured you'd chime in! Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to provide a link to it prior to purchase.

Correct, we only have Cabela's, and none "close" to the Twin Cities, unless a 45-60' drive is close.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:I figured you'd chime in! Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to provide a link to it prior to purchase.

Correct, we only have Cabela's, and none "close" to the Twin Cities, unless a 45-60' drive is close.

I drive that distance twice a day, and in Nebraska, that's considered close. I have both about 10 minutes from the house though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

otolith

bhodilee wrote:I drive that distance twice a day, and in Nebraska, that's considered close. I have both about 10 minutes from the house though.

There are pros and cons to whereever you live.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

joelsisk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:No, do not buy those, for any reason. They both appear to be the kind that you have to open the door to load the chips, which you'll need to do a couple times and POOF there goes your smoke and heat!

This is mine

Reason's to love it:

and this would be the cold smoker?

Any reason that an electric smoker couldn't be kept/used in a 3+ car garage with high ceilings? I'd just as soon not have to purchase another separate cover to protect from the elements.

otolith

joelsisk wrote:and this would be the cold smoker?

Any reason that an electric smoker couldn't be kept/used in a 3+ car garage with high ceilings? I'd just as soon not have to purchase another separate cover to protect from the elements.

Wouldn't it put out too much smoke to keep it in a relatively enclosed space?

Also, dumb question--do all cold smoked meats need to be cooked as well? Just reading through some of the reviews, and seeing that people will smoke turkey, salmon, bacon, etc. Do you have to cook it again, later? I would think yes...

--John Muir

klezman

otolith wrote:Wouldn't it put out too much smoke to keep it in a relatively enclosed space?

Also, dumb question--do all cold smoked meats need to be cooked as well? Just reading through some of the reviews, and seeing that people will smoke turkey, salmon, bacon, etc. Do you have to cook it again, later? I would think yes...

Nope. When's the last time you cooked lox?

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:and this would be the cold smoker?

that would be the cold smoker yes, but looking at it, 110 seems high for cold smoking. I"d think you'd get the fat from the pork belly (not a concern of yours) getting weird at 110. You could easily keep it in the garage, but I would not use it there. It puts out a lot of smoke. You could conceivably create a ducting system I guess, but it's not too heavy. Put it on wheels or something.

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Wouldn't it put out too much smoke to keep it in a relatively enclosed space?

I would surely cook the bird up to the won't kill you internal temp, but you could get a lot of smoke on it prior to doing that. I don't know why you would though, oversmoking meat is bad. Maybe a chicken that cooks fast makes sense, but a turkey is gonna be in the smoker for a long time.

otolith

klezman wrote:Nope. When's the last time you cooked lox?

I haven't. I don't think you smoke it, either.

This is helpful info. I'm thinking that one will just magically show up one day. Maybe for our anniversary. Does a smoker say "I love you."

--John Muir

otolith

Also, I hope HAK and CAT are doing well in their travels.

--John Muir

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
otolith wrote:I'm thinking that one will just magically show up one day. Maybe for our anniversary. Does a smoker say "I love you."

Slippery slope. You could wind up here.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:This is helpful info. I'm thinking that one will just magically show up one day. Maybe for our anniversary. Does a smoker say "I love you."

From her to you, definitely yes. From you to her? Ddeuddeg shows where that ends up.

I think I am on track for a smoker for my birthday.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
ddeuddeg wrote:Slippery slope. You could wind up here.

I had no idea that video was so long. I think I saw a short version at one time.

joelsisk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:that would be the cold smoker yes, but looking at it, 110 seems high for cold smoking. I"d think you'd get the fat from the pork belly (not a concern of yours) getting weird at 110. You could easily keep it in the garage, but I would not use it there. It puts out a lot of smoke. You could conceivably create a ducting system I guess, but it's not too heavy. Put it on wheels or something.

Kosher. Lamb. Bacon.

And, probably not a good idea to hook up through the existing clothes dryer ducting... or my laundry may taste smoked.

Le sigh. I suppose I could cart it around. Of course, the odds of me getting one are slim to none, as SWMBO doesn't really like smoked anything.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
ddeuddeg wrote:Slippery slope. You could wind up here.

that is funny!!!!!

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
polarbear22 wrote:Need to upgrade my modem to get the most of what I am paying for on Internet speed. Need DOCSIS 3.0.

Looking at this one. Motorola Surfboard SB6141. I have been using an older model Motorola and it has been very reliable.

Any comments from the experts on the board?

If you haven't purchased this yet and are still looking, the model previous, SB6121, is on sale at Newegg for 67.44 + free shipping with code EMCXTXW52. It does the same thing the SB6141 will do to make you compatible with DOCSIS 3.0. Save yourself about $30.

Motorola SB6121 on Newegg

otolith

tdedek wrote:If you haven't purchased this yet and are still looking, the model previous, SB6121, is on sale at Newegg for 67.44 + free shipping with code EMCXTXW52. It does the same thing the SB6141 will do to make you compatible with DOCSIS 3.0. Save yourself about $30.

Hmm...wondering if I should do that as well.

--John Muir

otolith

ajrod27 wrote:I swear by my Weber Rocky Mountain Smoker Bullet. It runs on charcoal but is worth the extra effort! Once you get the temp stabilized, it will hold for 8-10 hours without need for adjustment

Also, there's a community forum based on it. So you can go there for tips, recipes and ideas.

Thanks for the info. I think if it's going to be uses, I better go with a set it and forget it type of model.

I also need to find a new grill with a natural gas attachment, since a gas line was installed when the house was built.

--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm
otolith wrote:Thanks for the info. I think if it's going to be uses, I better go with a set it and forget it type of model.

I also need to find a new grill with a natural gas attachment, since a gas line was installed when the house was built.

Regarding the grill with a natural gas attachment, we purchased a Napoleon grill more than 10 years ago and a have had excellent luck with it. It was recommended to us by a friend whose son is a chef. It also has a rotisserie and nice, fairly thick grates. We are going to have to start thinking about getting a new one soon, though. Little things are starting to wear out. I'm not sure where we will be able to get another one, the store where we bought it has closed and I think they are manufactured in Canada. Way back when, I think we paid around $500 or so for it. I gulped at the time, but we have gotten our money's worth out of it.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Happy Birthday to Molarchae!!!!!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
tdedek wrote:If you haven't purchased this yet and are still looking, the model previous, SB6121, is on sale at Newegg for 67.44 + free shipping with code EMCXTXW52. It does the same thing the SB6141 will do to make you compatible with DOCSIS 3.0. Save yourself about $30.

Thanks. Sometimes it pays to be slow.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
polarbear22 wrote:Thanks. Sometimes it pays to be slow.

Glad I caught you in time!

chemvictim

I've had the 6121 since last June. I've had no issues with it.

otolith

Yawn...

--John Muir

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Shovel – check
scraper – check
ice melt – check
wine, cheese, milk, krispy kremes – check
crazy cat chasing shadows – check

All ready for “snowquester”! And it’s started snowing, too.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
chemvictim wrote:I've had the 6121 since last June. I've had no issues with it.

I have the same one - I bought it just so I didn't "lease" it and pay Comcast the extra $/month. I can't stand paying them for anything, but I have no other options.

Anyway, Great modem.

otolith

edthebedhead wrote:I have the same one - I bought it just so I didn't "lease" it and pay Comcast the extra $/month. I can't stand paying them for anything, but I have no other options.

Anyway, Great modem.

Never thought of buying my own modem, but it makes sense given that I've had Comcast forever...

--John Muir

otolith

Also, Who Trusts Felix? is with wine.woot charging tax? Did I miss something? Did they open a MN office or is this an amazon thing?

--John Muir

cjsiege

School closings are now rolling in. Up to 10 counties so far, and it's not even 11:15.

Snowquester is in full force!!!

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm
cjsiege wrote:School closings are now rolling in. Up to 10 counties so far, and it's not even 11:15.

Snowquester is in full force!!!

Hmmm! And we have three busses of 8th graders heading to DC Thursday morning . . . glad I'm not part of it! Hunker down!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chemvictim

edthebedhead wrote:I have the same one - I bought it just so I didn't "lease" it and pay Comcast the extra $/month. I can't stand paying them for anything, but I have no other options.

Anyway, Great modem.

I'm actually leasing mine, which I never did before. But when I moved and signed up for the supercharged plan, they said my old modem wouldn't work. It would've taken more than a year to recoup the cost so *shrug*.

cjsiege

bahwm wrote:Hmmm! And we have three busses of 8th graders heading to DC Thursday morning . . . glad I'm not part of it! Hunker down!

Oh, it will be 50 degrees by the weekend, and 60 on Monday. They'll be fine.