Winery website

Previous offers:
12/28/12
11/25/12
4/1/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

timothyc273

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timothyc273

Anyone tried this one before? I'm anxious to stock up on reds, as my cellar (which, here in college, is a crummy Styrofoam box) is running low on wine!

Would love some more reds.

DarkStar11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkStar11

I'm tempted to give it a whirl . . .

previous woot - http://wine.woot.com/offers/martian-ranch-santa-ynez-red-6-7
(Same wines, different quantities than this woot)

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

I hate to pass on a Grenache but I'm sorta put off by the whole biodynamic mumbo jumbo they do. I guess if it floats your boat then rock on with it.

bunnyh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyh64

Dear Wife did not really like this one last time around, I was Mehhhh about it. Since we did three different reds on the last WO - we're waiting. Enjoying a Steve Harvey Zin tonight, very nice.

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
bunnyh64 wrote:Dear Wife did not really like this one last time around, I was Mehhhh about it. Since we did three different reds on the last WO - we're waiting. Enjoying a Steve Harvey Zin tonight, very nice.

I think he's hosting the feud now....

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
bunnyh64 wrote:Dear Wife did not really like this one last time around, I was Mehhhh about it. Since we did three different reds on the last WO - we're waiting. Enjoying a Steve Harvey Zin tonight, very nice.

You hit that one out of the park.
Scott however would likely not be impressed.

Klez, wanna share one of each?

CT

bunnyh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyh64

Ouchhh ... Sorry Scott.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:I think he's hosting the feud now....

<< Me

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

TheDesi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TheDesi

Sorry, don't mean to go off (is this wine good or bad ) topic, but I will. The 6pk pic of Martian Ranch Santa Ynez Mixed Red reminds me of the t-shirt unveiling scene from the movie Almost Famous. One subject is in focus and the others blurry. And it made me laugh out loud... Hey, it's late! Just wanted to share. ;-)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I have to pass on this, but I did enjoy reading the description.. How long did it take to type all that backwards?

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

A review of the Grenache from a website/blog that looks kind of interesting.
Martian Ranch 2009 Santa Ynez Grenache

The 2009 Grenache from Martian Ranch offers a clean, well-balanced, spicy and drying varietal presentation. The wine offers a foundation of red berries, alongside spice, pepper, and surprising smoke elements. The alcohol comes in here at 14%, with a balance of medium acidity and medium tannin showing with a medium finish.

The style here would be distinct from the more recent Martian Ranch wines that Michael Roth has made from 2011 forward.

http://wakawakawinereviews.com/?s=martian&submit=Go

benyust2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benyust2

I bought this last time and was very unimpressed. It was the first grenache I'd ever tried - I didn't like it at all. I usually like Syrah but I didn't like this one at all. Would not buy again at any price.

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

Bought this last time. It was OK but I soon realized I could do better for $12/bottle.

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
TheDesi wrote:Sorry, don't mean to go off (is this wine good or bad ) topic, but I will. The 6pk pic of Martian Ranch Santa Ynez Mixed Red reminds me of the t-shirt unveiling scene from the movie Almost Famous. One subject is in focus and the others blurry. And it made me laugh out loud... Hey, it's late! Just wanted to share. ;-)

If that lead bottle could talk, it would be declaring its golden Godness.

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

Interesting comments indeed. As someone else pointed out, these were some of the 'early' Martian wines made prior to Mike Roth coming on board, and prior to them having their estate grapes to use.

So all of the 'mumbo jumbo' about biodynamic farming, etc is not apropos for these particular bottlings.

For the money, I think they are pretty darned good wines, but YMMV.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink

I'm not sure I want to try anything that is "a peed, krad tey tnarbiv der roloc"

zimmermn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zimmermn
timothyc273 wrote:Anyone tried this one before? I'm anxious to stock up on reds, as my cellar (which, here in college, is a crummy Styrofoam box) is running low on wine!

Would love some more reds.

The first post is usually Cesare with a helpful link to Cellar Tracker reviews. My personal comfort level for when a wine is worth considering is when the rating is at least the upper 80's. If so, I look at the wine's characteristics and Woot reviews before purchasing. If there are no Cellar Tracker reviews, I search CT for prior years of that particular wine. If that doesn't work I search CT on the winemaker and wine type, such as Martian Ranch Winery Syrah, or just Martian Ranch Winery. This gives me a good idea of how the winery is regarded.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
sdfreedive wrote:I hate to pass on a Grenache but I'm sorta put off by the whole biodynamic mumbo jumbo they do. I guess if it floats your boat then rock on with it.

Why would that bother you? If it tastes good it tastes good...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
greyday wrote:Why would that bother you? If it tastes good it tastes good...

I'm.trying.so.hard.not.to.say.anything.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Grabbed a set for a coworker. I'm sure he'll let me taste a bottle I've not tried stuff from this winery yet so I'm curious - especially about the Grenache.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111

I got this the last time it was offered. The grenache is extremely smokey, the next day it really softened up and the smokiness left. The syrah was "ok" and easy to drink. Nothing really to special to add. Maybe ill make some sangrias for the wifey with the extra bottles.