Wellington Vineyards Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶0̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 42% off List Price
2007 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Karren Vineyard, Sonoma Mountain
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Auto buy.

Didn't beat mill, but I keep good company.

First Sucker:mill
Last Wooter to Woot:rjquillin
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

Went to visit Peter this weekend and nothing about this was mentioned.
Peter, really sorry we missed you due to faulty timing.

Missed the '04 and '05 if CT is correct, but have the '03 and '06 and just added the '07.

It's a 2007 Peter Wellington Cab.
Buy this!

CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

This stuff is an autobuy. Really good. You can drink now, but give it an hour or so's decanting to breathe and bring out its minerally palate.

I have some of the 04 and it's by no means near the end of its life, and to me probably improving. (note, some say there may be a dumb period age 7-10-ish on cabs). Probably drink now - 2027, though Peter will likely say now-2018 or so.

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta

I really wish the DnD woot crew would have been able to try this last Sunday. We did have the '07 Mohrhardt Cab and many of us bought it. If the Karren is similar this should be a good bet.

trifecta

rjquillin wrote:Auto buy.

Didn't beat mill, but I keep good company.

First Sucker:mill
Last Wooter to Woot:rjquillin

Went to visit Peter this weekend and nothing about this was mentioned.
Peter, really sorry we missed you due to faulty timing.

Missed the '04 and '05 if CT is correct, but have the '03 and '06 and just added the '07.

It's a 2007 Peter Wellington Cab.
Buy this!

So when is your Wellington Party?

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:I really wish the DnD woot crew would have been able to try this last Sunday. We did have the '07 Mohrhardt Cab and many of us bought it. If the Karren is similar this should be a good bet.

And the 2007 Sonoma Valley has been up on woot before as well, but not this vineyard specific release. Looking forward to it, and I imagine some comments from Peter as well.

CT

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:So when is your Wellington Party?

After I talk Toby into filling the holes would be a good time.

CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Last Wooter to Woot:loveladyelectric

I was really hoping there would be more of the Victory Reserve so I could grab it, but this is even better because it's a lot easier on my wallet.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

My Victory Reserve arrived a few days ago, and now a 2007 single vineyard Wellington cab!?!?!

David why you gotta do that?

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

Wishing this was the 3-pack vineyard mix so I could keep building the vertical.

Peter, of the three, which end of the style spectrum is it? What's the drinking window?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

I have several of the 2006 vintage of this wine and it was/is still very young. Anyone opine on the drinking window for this vintage?

richardhod

I gave my estimated drinking window for the 07 in my post above. This vintage is likely nicely drinkable with probably an hour to 90 mins air now, but will only improve with age in bottle! Also, here's my cellar tracker review of the 04 Karren Cab:

1/8/2012 Decant this for at least 45 minutes! It only started to show its great minerality and better fruit after that. Until then it was nice enough, but hadn't had the air to open up into the beauty it is!
Good dust nose (typical Wellington), good red fruit, medium body and medium-long finish, with good acidity and soft tannins which don't shout "oak!" at you in the way many American Cabs would. Well-balanced fruity food-friendly wine! Not the world's most concentrated wine, but will probably take on bottle age decently too, and has fine complexity. Great stuff.

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

Just got the Victory nicely settled in my cellar. But... it may be feeling a little lonely for some Wellington brethren. Any info on overall differences between this offering and the Victory (besides price)?

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
mrlbem wrote:I have several of the 2006 vintage of this wine and it was/is still very young. Anyone opine on the drinking window for this vintage?

This really should be good/improving for 5-10 more years.

trifecta

Just a reminder to folks to check out the woot plus once you have free shipping from this Wellington offer. Handal and Diamond Ridge are highly recommended! Only until 7am tomorrow, so act now.

richardhod

trifecta wrote:Just a reminder to folks to check out the woot plus once you have free shipping from this Wellington offer. Handal and Diamond Ridge are highly recommended! Only until 7am tomorrow, so act now.

Generally, Peter Wellington advises or winemakes on the side for the Handal-Denier label, I think! He makes his own wine from that vineyard too.

trifecta

richardhod wrote:Generally, Peter Wellington advises or winemakes on the side for the Handal-Denier label, I think! He makes his own wine from that vineyard too.

You are correct. He was the winemaker for the '09 and '10 Handal PS. Peter also has a vineyard specific Cabernet from Handal vineyard

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:I really wish the DnD woot crew would have been able to try this last Sunday. We did have the '07 Mohrhardt Cab and many of us bought it. If the Karren is similar this should be a good bet.

They are both excellent (we tasted both during the RPM Vet tour last year). Although IIRC, I preferred the Mohrhardt, but the Karren was a very close second.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Autobuy. The alcohol levels are relatively low for California Cabernet, which is highly positive. This will sell out quickly. Buy now.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

stevenator1957

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenator1957

Why now?
Tax charge on this order to Florida
Wake up Woot

[MOD: Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information. on the changes to Wine checkout that started Feb 22, 2012.]

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

And now I cry about Virginia's status

free2day33611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages free2day33611

I've had the 2005 and it was wonderful. I assume the 2007 would also be great? I believe 2007 was a good year in general for CA cab's?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Last Wooter to Woot:North316

Dave, if you just want one, instead of three, I'm your man. (EDIT: Now that I can finally see CT, it looks like you already snagged this!)

If I recall correctly based on Peter's comparison of the 06' vineyards. The Karren offered here is more tannic and the best canditate for aging. While it can be drank now, he usually suggests laying this down for 2-3 years after release to let it integrate a little better.

Definitely looking forward to these.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

michaelrenda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelrenda

Silly Virginia.

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis

Man. . . Pre-tax woot I would've been all over this. I know, I know, 'But it's only $6/$12/$18 more.' To me it's the principal. =(

free2day33611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages free2day33611

They said the sales tax was already in the offerings previously. I looked back at the 2005 and it was $21/bottle. This is $20/bottle. So if comparable, maybe there could be an argument that the lower price per bottle is about the sales tax (the sales tax is greater that the $3 though). Of course this is comparing two different years, so I'm not sure how comparabe it is.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
guzmantis wrote:Man. . . Pre-tax woot I would've been all over this. I know, I know, 'But it's only $6/$12/$18 more.' To me it's the principal. =(

We were always paying sales tax before, even those that lived in a state that did not require sales tax. Extra $$$ was added to all Wine Woot offerings as a blanket solution to cover all taxes.

If you compare the same Wine Woot offering, when tax was included and now that it is separate, you will see that the price of the earlier Woots with tax included had increased pricing of $5 or more.

Everyone will now be paying their exact tax for their state instead of everyone sharing in to cover. This can result in lower prices for some or slightly higher prices (maybe a dollar or two at most? depends on the price of the offering) for others, depending on the tax rate in your state.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

In for two thanks to tax refund, now maybe some Diamond Ridge.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

stevenator1957

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenator1957
stevenator1957 wrote:Why now?
Tax charge on this order to Florida
Wake up Woot

[MOD: Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information. on the changes to Wine checkout that started Feb 22, 2012.]

I read it, sucks big time. Looks like woot will be loser if this escallates further. My local ABC liguors and and the few larger local spirits retailers offer discounts for larger orders, will special order and bargin will repeat customers. Woot might be able to exert some pressure on this but probably not. Woot does make it easy but now that Amazon is in control I don;t know... If this winery does not have an operation in the state you live in then no tax (pocket it?) I would be happier if Congress would get off their ass and do a across the board internet tax which we badly need revenues and it would be fair to local retailers. Face it folks we have to spend less and pony up more tax but this right now is very arbitrary
Peace

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank

Wellington & NJ? Put me down for 2 !

lulipuli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lulipuli

Is anyone else having trouble buying this? I click Buy Now and nothing happens. I tried at home, my phone and at work (even had my husband try under his account). I am jealous of all of you who have gotten to make your purchase!

Sad Wooter

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

Tax on woot. Grrr. Spending money I should not be. Grrr.

3 Wellington Cabs on the way? Hooray.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
tdedek wrote:We were always paying sales tax before, even those that lived in a state that did not require sales tax. Extra $$$ was added to all Wine Woot offerings as a blanket solution to cover all taxes.

If you compare the same Wine Woot offering, when tax was included and now that it is separate, you will see that the price of the earlier Woots with tax included had increased pricing of $5 or more.

Everyone will now be paying their exact tax for their state instead of everyone sharing in to cover. This can result in lower prices for some or slightly higher prices (maybe a dollar or two at most? depends on the price of the offering) for others, depending on the tax rate in your state.

IMHO...I miss the old WOOT sites. ever since Amazon took over, it's like a carnival! I liked the personal homey feeling. Now it's like big business shoving things at us. I still appreciate Peter, Scott, Ty, Stillman, Kathy and the old regulars. Now that I have over 450 bottles stached away, maybe I need to take a break.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

Would order but I will probably get one of these in the 2013 club shipments. Plus I'm now refirguring my finances for a single income.

CT

brucenie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brucenie

If Amazon lobbyists have their way soon there will be no tax-free internet orders.

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome

Auto-buy. Love me some Wellington.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Had to go in on this one even though I have no room. I'll make some, Wellington has become an auto buy for me. I went in on the fall 2007 mixed case, which included a Sonoma Cab, but not this single vineyard release. Excited to see what this one is all about. I plan on enjoying one now and laying down the other two - good company for the Wellington Victory Reserves I have stashed.

Thanks again Peter. Hope you are able to come around later for some discussion. Didn't need you to push the shiny button but would love to hear your comments on this release.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
klezman wrote:Wishing this was the 3-pack vineyard mix so I could keep building the vertical.

Peter, of the three, which end of the style spectrum is it? What's the drinking window?

This certainly leans in the stylistic direction of "traditional" Bordeaux. It is lower in alcohol than almost all modern California Cabernets, so it is lighter in body and viscosity. In general, the 2007s have soft tannins, which one might interpret as a sign they won't have great staying power. I would hedge my bets by saying this will drink well over the next five years or so.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
mrlbem wrote:I have several of the 2006 vintage of this wine and it was/is still very young. Anyone opine on the drinking window for this vintage?

The 2007 is, by a wide margin, our softest Karren Vineyard Cab yet. I think it is more approachable than the 2006 at this time, and that the 2006 will probably outlive the 2007.