WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Does the mark-up in restaurants discourage you from drinking out?
  • 57% - Yes 845
  • 13.4% - No 198
  • 29.6% - Depends how steep it is. 439
1482 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

A lot of it is the choices. There are only a handful of restaurants in my smaller city with decent wine lists, and the ones that do have them are very proud of them.

I just bring my own.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Don't care, Don't drink. Coffee
please.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

The police discourage me from drinking out. I don't want a DUI, DWI, or whatever.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

The Cop hiding behind the bushes is what prevents me from drinking out.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bblhed wrote:The Cop hiding behind the bushes is what prevents me from drinking out.

I have a small family of squirrels living in my beard. If I drink too much I let them drive home. The lesson, as always, beards solve everything.

But yeah, I don't drink out because I'm not paying per glass what the bottle costs.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mdkopper wrote:Don't care, Don't drink. Coffee
please.

So...if you dont' drink, do you take your coffee as a suppository?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jkirkc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkirkc
please.

Why are you trolling wine.woot?

Just sayin

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
bhodilee wrote:So...if you dont' drink, do you take your coffee as a suppository?

Sounds like it. The real question is how many coffee enemas per day?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

I typically do not order wine at a restaurant because of the mark-up. If I can find a good BYOB place then I'll do that. But then again I eat 95% of my dinners at my home or someone else s home.

CT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
please.

Seriously?

signed.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

Yes. We only buy wine on special occasions or half-price-bottle night. Unfortunately, BYO is illegal in Colorado.

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh

When we go out to a restaurant we almost always bring a bottle from our cellar.

Buying a higher quality bottle and paying a corkage fee is almost always better than buying some random bottle at 3-5x it's normal price.

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

iugator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iugator

As a chef I know that a great deal of money is made off the bar and wine. If one is trying to have the best possible food, and still have customers they have to trade foods costs for somewhere else. Markups are lower on cellar wines, but being honest with a sommelier can reward you with an affordable tasty wine well matched with your food.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie

Usually when something is on tap it's ok especially since you can get some of the more rare stuff. As for bottles the mark up is usually ridiculous.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

I do not like beer and with the exception of an occasional martini or a good margarita, I pretty much always order wine when I go out for dinner. I do the cooking at home and almost every weekend make fancier dinners for hubby and I. When we go out, I want to pampered with some nice wine, so call me spoiled.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
joelsisk wrote:Yes. We only buy wine on special occasions or half-price-bottle night. Unfortunately, BYO is illegal in Colorado.

This is exactly the truth. The only time recently that I have purchased a bottle at a restaurant was at a Spanish place (Tapas) that had a half price bottle night. Corkage was $20. I decided that they had an $80 bottle of good Tempranillo (now $40) that sounded better than any $20 bottle (now $40) in my cellar. The bottle was excellent and I look forward to doing the same again.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
RocRizzo wrote:The police discourage me from drinking out. I don't want a DUI, DWI, or whatever.

I enjoy long dinners out with appropriate amounts of alcohol. A 1 1/2 or 2 hour dinner with the small half of a bottle of wine I have found to be just fine for driving.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:This is exactly the truth. The only time recently that I have purchased a bottle at a restaurant was at a Spanish place (Tapas) that had a half price bottle night. Corkage was $20. I decided that they had an $80 bottle of good Tempranillo (now $40) that sounded better than any $20 bottle (now $40) in my cellar. The bottle was excellent and I look forward to doing the same again.

This makes perfect sense. Can't recall I've ever noticed a 1/2 price sale in SD area. When down here, have you noticed, or can you suggest, any establishments that may do so?

Hope BG got her unoaked, still looking for your, and my, cab.
They're here, or there, somewhere, I know they are.

CT