crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22
klezman wrote:I'm nearly in on the strength of this analogy alone.

me too

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

arthurz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arthurz
kagayaki1 wrote:(Delille Cellars) Doyenne Signature Syrah sources fruit from Boushey (Yakima) and Grand Ciel (Red Mountain). Both vineyards are exceptionally managed and produce great fruit. Albeit expensive.

In my opinion, from tasting the 2008 Doyenne Signature recently: the Doyenne has more black tea and floral notes, with a much rounder, softer mouthfeel. It also has more alcohol, but it's in balance, so it adds to the lush mouthfeel (probably the glycerols). The color is just about as dark, but more red than violet.

I think you'll find the Cougar Crest to have more oak on the lower end, more purple color, and while the mouthfeel will not be quite as polished, it will have an aggressive, bold nose, more smoked meat notes backed by an unmistakeable cool rock minerality sense.

I personally like Syrah that shows extreme sense of place. Cougar Crest's higher end offerings do that. Put it this way: Doyenne is what I'd order at a business dinner, but Walla Walla Syrah is what I ordered in my head.

Also for anyone doing CA comparisons, this is the exact opposite of Paso Robles Syrah. Cougar Crest Syrah is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Thank you! That was amazingly helpful!

kagayaki1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

You're all too kind, no problem at all. Wine.woot has offered some interesting new wines I've enjoyed in the past, so I feel like I have to contribute when Washington and Oregon wines show up (my area of expertise).

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kagayaki1 wrote:You're all too kind, no problem at all. Wine.woot has offered some interesting new wines I've enjoyed in the past, so I feel like I have to contribute when Washington and Oregon wines show up (my area of expertise).

You've done quite a fine job contributing today. Thanks for all the info!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

burrnini

quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini

I recently had a syrah from walla walla at a restaurant that was absolutely delicious. I can't remember the name although I remember confusing the label for a old style french wine. It was smokey and earthy with some dark fruit and mild tannin. It was very different from the Australian or Cali style and so good that we ordered a second bottle finishing the restaurant's supply (at $60/bottle).

Based on that bottle and the descriptions on this thread, I'm in for a set even though it is a little above my normal price range.

Edit:
Speed to first woot: 6m 31.662s
First sucker:unixguru
Last wooter to woot:burrnini
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Having dinner with a friend of mine in the wine industry (VML Winery in Healdsburg) and we just had the Golden's Legacy open with dinner.

We both agreed that the wine was wonderfully balanced, elegant- 'the kind of Syrah you want to home to". Dark fruit enveloped in a light, floral layer (that 3% Viognier). A wonderful wine.

We chased it with a big, Paso Syrah (15.3) and the Paso wine fell flat in comparison (and I like said Paso Syrah!)

Interesting cool climate/warm climate comparison. Verdict- Cougar Crest rocks.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

I really want to be in on this, and already regret the no buy. Circumstances with finances and storage preclude it. That said, I hope to see a small amount during a woot off or something in the future. I have really enjoyed all the CC wines I have had, especially their Cab Franc!

I dig cool climate syrahs and know this would be up my alley... If you are on the fence and have the space, do it.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
kylemittskus wrote:You've done quite a fine job contributing today. Thanks for all the info!

Kyle's account has been hacked! ;)