WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Channing Daughters White Mix (4)

Speed to First Woot:
18m 16.669s
First Sucker:
iByron
Last Wooter to Woot:
rmdoolabh
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 20% of Wine Woots
Bottom 29% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 18% of Wine Woots
Bottom 31% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 4% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 12% < 10 woots
  • 42% < 25 woots
  • 38% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 4% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 8% one year old
  • 88% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 92% bought 1
  • 8% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

8%
0%
4%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4%
12%
4%
12%
0%
0%
0%
12%
8%
0%
0%
8%
12%
4%
0%
8%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1614 Private Messages Cesare

Channing Daughters White Mix 4-Pack
$67.99 $̶1̶1̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 40% off List Price
2010 Pinot Grigio
2008 Mosaico
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of February 24th.

There has been a lot of recent activity in the "looking for helping hands" threads. Anyone willing to put a stake in the ground and spend some time talking it up with friends? Time to get a move on!

March
3/16: NYC #21: Cupcakes
3/22: Minnesota #20: Visitors from Afar
3/30: SoCal #24: Aged Zins

April
4/6: Colorado/Wyoming #?
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend


No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.





So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Channing Daughters makes some amazing wines! Many of the whites see skin time giving them extra weight and added complexity. My favorite so far has been Envelope.

Too bad they can't ship to me.
EDIT: I found a buddy in DC to take shipment. And wow, I was First Sucker!! I had my day of fame!

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

blakewoot


quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

I have not tried these two specific wines, but I really like some of the other wines from Channing Daughters - especially their "orange" wines: the Envelope and Meditazione are both wonderful, distinctive wines.

I ordered some stuff direct from the winery a few months ago for a "no California wines" dinner, and in addition to lovely wines I also received excellent, personalized customer service.

A general, overall tip of the hat and strong positive recommendation for this New York winery.

jhkey


quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
iByron wrote:
Too bad they can't ship to me.



and yet, you are first sucker... hmmmm....

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Wow, Long Island wine - really good Long Island wine! While there are around 50 wineries out here, there are only 600 acres of vineyards. Supply/demand means that the great stuff rarely gets beyond NYC. This is a fantastic opportunity to buy wines from one of the East End's more interesting wineries.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Ughh...whites. Think I'll try out some of that Denier-Handal Alexander Valley Petite Sirah on woot plus.

rckwoot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot

Thanks Woot! My wife is a fan of whites and this also provides an opportunity to support a local winery. A win, win! In for 1. :-)

channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
iByron wrote:Channing Daughters makes some amazing wines! Many of the whites see skin time giving them extra weight and added complexity. My favorite so far has been Envelope.

Too bad they can't ship to me.



I'm sorry we can't ship to you to!!!
The Mosaico in this offering has a bit of skin contact on the muscat and gewurz!!!
which adds a huge boost of aroma, flavor and texture...
Cheers, Christopher Tracy (winemaker @ CDW)

channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
blakewoot wrote:I have not tried these two specific wines, but I really like some of the other wines from Channing Daughters - especially their "orange" wines: the Envelope and Meditazione are both wonderful, distinctive wines.

I ordered some stuff direct from the winery a few months ago for a "no California wines" dinner, and in addition to lovely wines I also received excellent, personalized customer service.

A general, overall tip of the hat and strong positive recommendation for this New York winery.



Thanks for the kind words!!
we work hard to make great wine...and make people happy!
Try these two
You wont be disappointed
Cheers, Christopher (winemaker @ CDW)

channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
true559 wrote:Ughh...whites. Think I'll try out some of that Denier-Handal Alexander Valley Petite Sirah on woot plus.



Ughh
try these whites
they are not your usual suspects
especially the field blend Mosaico which sees some skin contact and now has some bottle age
likely to surprise you!!!
come on...
Cheers, Christopher (winemaker @CDW)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

The is for jumping in Christopher! Can you tell us where you think your region is these days in relation to other US and intl regions?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

deecue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
channingdw wrote:Ughh
try these whites
they are not your usual suspects
especially the field blend Mosaico which sees some skin contact and now has some bottle age
likely to surprise you!!!
come on...
Cheers, Christopher (winemaker @CDW)



while i'm actually quite interested in these (the mosaico blend way more then the pinot grigio/chard blend) i don't know if i'm sold enough to just take a chance.. the deal just isn't there for me at 40% discounted from full price+tax+shipping.. it probably would be if everyone came on here raving about these specific bottles but with the lack of information from the community and info on CT, i have to admit i'm a bit hesitant. they may be great, but i personally feel there's not enough incentive (please take no offense).

for me, again personally, to pull the trigger on only a 40% deal at the new discount structure, it would have to be a solid thread of people recommending it left and right. i'll start taking chances at 55% on unknowns with good specs.. maybe something could be nudged or maybe throw in some Envelope that everyone is talking about.. ;)

just my 2 cents.. thanks for being involved on the boards..

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

The days of 50% discounts are quickly fleeting as the economy improves. Buy or don't buy; I couldn't care less. However, don't hold your breath.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
kylemittskus wrote:The days of 50% discounts are quickly fleeting as the economy improves. Buy or don't buy; I couldn't care less. However, don't hold your breath.


You think is becuase of the economy? I started seeing the change when Amazon took over, maybe they had to raise their profit margin.
Either way your right about the % of discount,

deecue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
kylemittskus wrote:The days of 50% discounts are quickly fleeting as the economy improves. Buy or don't buy; I couldn't care less. However, don't hold your breath.



possibly, but just a quick look at my last 3 purchases in the past couple weeks (yes, 2 are from the woot-off so there is that):

Scott Harvey Old Vine Reserve Zinfandel 5-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶9̶0̶.̶6̶0̶ 58% off List Price

Peter Wellington 2007 Victory Reserve 2-Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶4̶5̶.̶2̶5̶ 48% off List Price

The Crusher Big Orange White Wine Blend 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $99.41) 35% off List Price

All three come highly recommended (and I've bought plenty of peter wellington and scott harvery before so there's history there).. The only one I took a real chance on was the Crusher but that's because everyone came on here screaming about it.. by this time that day, the thread was going on a solid 3 pages.

i'm just saying (and please, i really don't mean any offense by this) there needs to be more incentive for newer bottles/wineries without either a. much community or b. much web/CT activity.

I totally get Buy or Don't Buy, but I'm still in the boat of Don't Buy and could be easily persuaded if the deal was different or the Envelope was part of the offer. I have a feeling by the amount of discussion today that I'm not the only one.

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

BTW whoever suggested the Ty Caton Sonoma Valley Ballfield Syrah, thank you.
had a bottle watching the Academy Awards last night with the wife, very nice, but did noticed something wierd, short term memory loss, don't remember much after I finished off the bottle

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
deecue wrote:
i'm just saying (and please, i really don't mean any offense by this) there needs to be more incentive for newer bottles/wineries without either a. much community or b. much web/CT activity.

I totally get Buy or Don't Buy, but I'm still in the boat of Don't Buy and could be easily persuaded if the deal was different or the Envelope was part of the offer. I have a feeling by the amount of discussion today that I'm not the only one.



I agree about new wineries; they're at a disadvantage. I'm curious about your buying criteria, though. Would you buy this wine if it were offered for the same price to us but the winery charged more for it, increasing the discount (% off) but not changing what you would actually pay?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
deecue wrote:while i'm actually quite interested in these (the mosaico blend way more then the pinot grigio/chard blend) i don't know if i'm sold enough to just take a chance.. the deal just isn't there for me at 40% discounted from full price+tax+shipping.. it probably would be if everyone came on here raving about these specific bottles but with the lack of information from the community and info on CT, i have to admit i'm a bit hesitant. they may be great, but i personally feel there's not enough incentive (please take no offense).

for me, again personally, to pull the trigger on only a 40% deal at the new discount structure, it would have to be a solid thread of people recommending it left and right. i'll start taking chances at 55% on unknowns with good specs.. maybe something could be nudged or maybe throw in some Envelope that everyone is talking about.. ;)

just my 2 cents.. thanks for being involved on the boards..



IF YOU REALLY NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO RECOMMEND IT
HERE IS A REVIEW FROM ONE OF THE GREATS!!!!
by David Schildknecht in Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate so you can see what someone else is saying about the wine and us!

“Based on another Channing Daughter field blend (this one planted with alternating small “panels” of each grape) the 2008 Mosaico employs Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Muscat Ottonel, Tocai, and Gewurztraminer, all crushed together save for the Muscat, which was separated to give it some skin contact. Bacon fat, caraway, raw almond, lemon zest, and cardamom are among the elements in a complex nose that adumbrates the flavors on a smoky, oily-textured, corpulent, yet by no means heavy palate. There is a juicy, melon-like matrix of fruit here as well, and a piquant, smoky finish. This should intrigue and inspire at the table for at least the next 4-5 years.

Under the direction of co-owner and Long Island viticultural veteran Larry Perrine and husband-wife team Christopher Tracy and Allison Dubin, Channing Daughters continues to render not just Long Island’s but the United States’ most intriguingly delicious and outstanding value white wines, utilizing fruit from Mudd Vineyards on the North Fork – with whom they’ve worked closely since the winery’s inception – as well as from Walter and Molly Channing’s South Fork “Home Farm.” Tracy keeps pushing the envelope stylistically (one Channing cuvee is even dubbed “Envelope”) while taking continued inspiration from the wines of Northern Italy, particularly Friuli.”

deecue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
kylemittskus wrote: Would you buy this wine if it were offered for the same price to us but the winery charged more for it, increasing the discount (% off) but not changing what you would actually pay?



I think that's a totally fair question, and honestly, one I had to think about before answering. But in the end it came down to final price.. We're looking at $18.25/bottle shipped for two different white blends (one predominantly pinot grigio). I have a liquor store within walking distance of me so I'm somewhat lucky, but that would be the equivalent of me picking up something random at $16.89 before taxes. Have I done that before, yes, but maybe after chatting with the owner a little bit (again recommendations go a long way) and if not, I would only grab one of them to try it out on the sake of curiousity. With a place like woot, I'm investing in 4 bottles in this particular case which would never happen at the store.

jhkey


quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
kylemittskus wrote:I agree about new wineries; they're at a disadvantage. I'm curious about your buying criteria, though. Would you buy this wine if it were offered for the same price to us but the winery charged more for it, increasing the discount (% off) but not changing what you would actually pay?



Bingo. QPR is about the quality related to the price paid and the discount or lack thereof has no bearing at all on QPR. Some of the best QPR wines I have had were close to retail price, but they were incredible deals at that price and better than other wines that were much more expensive.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
kylemittskus wrote:The is for jumping in Christopher! Can you tell us where you think your region is these days in relation to other US and intl regions?



The East End of Long Island is making some of the most exciting and delicious wines in the world now
It is not a region for cheap wine s and economies of scale, but if you are looking for distinctive, delicious wines that reflect their Terroir...then look to Long Island and Channing Daughters

channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
kylemittskus wrote:The is for jumping in Christopher! Can you tell us where you think your region is these days in relation to other US and intl regions?



and here is what some others are saying too!
...Channing Daughters wines deserve a larger audience. Tracy’s Friulian-style blends (which include Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio and Malvasia), and his wonderfully minerally 2006 Tocai Friulano, were some of the best whites I’d tasted from any American winery.
Wine Matters: Long Island
Lettie Teague
Food & Wine -

My favorite is the Mosaico, an exotically aromatic, viscous, and complex blend of pinot grigio, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, Tocai Friulano, gewürztraminer, and Muscat. Tracy also bottles single-varietal examples of Tocai Friulano and pinot grigio, both of which may be the best new-world examples I’ve encountered...
Uncorked: North Fork Surprise
Jay McInerney
House & Garden -

Channing Daughters in the Hamptons has rendered what I do not hesitate to call among the most interesting and rewarding white wines grown anywhere in North America.
—David Schildknecht Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate Issue #188 April 27, 2010

To avoid frustration, consumers should learn wineries' wine-release dates and sign up for queues.
Not Enough, But Tasty
Howard Goldberg
New York Times -




North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
channingdw wrote:IF YOU REALLY NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO RECOMMEND IT
HERE IS A REVIEW FROM ONE OF THE GREATS!!!!
by David Schildknecht in Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate so you can see what someone else is saying about the wine and us!



*Covers Ears*

Robert Parker is a dirty word around here, so claiming he, or anyone associated with him as great, won't get you very far in this community.

We definitely appreciate the effort, enthusiasm and the participation so far. Trust me when I say, all of those go a long way in peoples purchasing decisions around here, so keep it up.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
North316 wrote:*Covers Ears*

Robert Parker is a dirty word around here, so claiming he, or anyone associated with him as great, won't get you very far in this community.

We definitely appreciate the effort, enthusiasm and the participation so far. Trust me when I say, all of those go a long way in peoples purchasing decisions around here, so keep it up.



Interesting, why is he a "dirty word" when he can be used as a perfect guide for you or anyone else to buy or not buy wine? If you don't agree with his palate and he gives a wine a high score you surly will not buy, that could be very helpful. Or are you saying that a winery that Parker likes should not use his rec?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




channingdw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages channingdw
North316 wrote:*Covers Ears*

Robert Parker is a dirty word around here, so claiming he, or anyone associated with him as great, won't get you very far in this community.

We definitely appreciate the effort, enthusiasm and the participation so far. Trust me when I say, all of those go a long way in peoples purchasing decisions around here, so keep it up.



Got it

we get a lot of great press here at Channing Daughters and almost never use it because we make wine for people to drink and enjoy!!!
but when people are asking for it...its there...
not only form parker's wine advocate but from the new york times, jose penin, the wall street journal, the world of fine wine, decanter, GQ, imbibe, the sommelier journal, the wine news, the wine enthusiast...and the list goes on and on
Cheers, Christopher

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Frankly, I never got to taste these; others in the office did that for me.

I've been staring at those labels for the last hour, reading the CT reviews on the Mosaico (intrigued by the blend... Gewurtz, Tocai Friulano, melikes). It was in the 70's up here this weekend, and I need some fresh whites. And after hearing what Christopher had to say... in for 1.

Last wooter to woot:neilfindswine

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
channingdw wrote:Got it

we get a lot of great press here at Channing Daughters and almost never use it because we make wine for people to drink and enjoy!!!
but when people are asking for it...its there...
not only form parker's wine advocate but from the new york times, jose penin, the wall street journal, the world of fine wine, decanter, GQ, imbibe, the sommelier journal, the wine news, the wine enthusiast...and the list goes on and on
Cheers, Christopher



Personally, I find reviews to be helpful, anywhere from mildly to quite, but it's scores that don't help me. You posting reviews is great. And press is always nice. I appreciate that you don't, and aren't, throwing the scores around, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
fredrinaldi wrote:BTW whoever suggested the Ty Caton Sonoma Valley Ballfield Syrah, thank you.
had a bottle watching the Academy Awards last night with the wife, very nice, but did noticed something wierd, short term memory loss, don't remember much after I finished off the bottle


Just grabbed some @Ty's yesterday @50 percent off. Yeah, good.


Edit: We split 6 (discount only good with 6 or more) bottles between us. Less than 2 cases left.

CT

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:Just grabbed some @Ty's yesterday @50 percent off. Yeah, good.


Edit: We split 6 (discount only good with 6) bottles between us. Less than 2 cases left.


where on their web site?

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

This wine is Channing all over my Tatum.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

PetiteSirah wrote:This wine is Channing all over my Tatum.



WOW

RyanANNAPOLIS


quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS
kylemittskus wrote:The days of 50% discounts are quickly fleeting as the economy improves. Buy or don't buy; I couldn't care less. However, don't hold your breath.



I am noticing this myself as I follow the discount wine retailers pretty closely. While the deals of 2009-2011 are definitely gone, there are still good deals to be had if you're selective.

-Ryan
http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

kaolis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
North316 wrote:*Covers Ears*

Robert Parker is a dirty word around here, so claiming he, or anyone associated with him as great, won't get you very far in this community.

We definitely appreciate the effort, enthusiasm and the participation so far. Trust me when I say, all of those go a long way in peoples purchasing decisions around here, so keep it up.



Schildknecht is actually pretty well respected, associated with RP or not. Did some nice work with Tanzer. Probably knows Germany and Austria and the Loire Valley as well as anyone. And now that Parker has sold out, wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Galloni out the door.


blakewoot


quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

I've been on the fence all day over this deal because I'm fully stocked on whites, I have three bottles of Channing Daughters' in my cellar, and somehow it seems counterintuitive to buy local wine that's made a trip cross country to the West Coast.

But in the end it's distinctive wine at a good price (better price than I can find anywhere else), and I like having a stock of NY wines on hand. With these and my few bottles of Red Hook Winery's finest, I'm feeling flush.

In for 1! Especially looking forward to the Mosaico.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
blakewoot wrote:I've been on the fence all day over this deal because I'm fully stocked on whites, I have three bottles of Channing Daughters' in my cellar, and somehow it seems counterintuitive to buy local wine that's made a trip cross country to the West Coast.

But in the end it's distinctive wine at a good price (better price than I can find anywhere else), and I like having a stock of NY wines on hand. With these and my few bottles of Red Hook Winery's finest, I'm feeling flush.

In for 1! Especially looking forward to the Mosaico.



Non-Sonoma/Napa deals tend to ship directly form the winery. WD sends over the labels for them. Hard to maintain a margin with a decent discount if you ship everything twice!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bigfrank


quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigfrank

I was at your winery about 2 years back. Had a Cigar there as well as a bottle that had a light label as the one pictured. I still have 1 left in my cellar. I will be out there this summer and visit your winery.

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

Zephyress


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zephyress
rjquillin wrote:Just grabbed some @Ty's yesterday @50 percent off. Yeah, good.


Edit: We split 6 (discount only good with 6 or more) bottles between us. Less than 2 cases left.



Another two bottles went back with us.

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
jhkey wrote:and yet, you are first sucker... hmmmm....



Hehe. I found a buddy in DC on facebook. It's going to him. He'll get a bottle of the PG.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux