2007 Expression 44° Pinot Noir, Roserock Vineyard
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
9/2/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

I couldn't help but thinking that if all of the countries touched by the 44 degree parallel north line were able to produce world class wine, we would all be paying much less for our Pinot's! Since that unfortunately isn't the case, have any of my fellow Wooters tasted this?

-Ryan
http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

I bought this the last time it was offered. It is excellent, and I'm glad to have the chance to re-stock. Here's my tasting note:

Pop and pour. Translucent ruby. Earthy nose with a whiff of mushroom and forest floor. Smoke and pepper, austere dark fruit on the palate. Medium long finish with a surprising subtle bright note of sweetness as it fades. Very enjoyable. (later...) After an hour the wine opens up and shows more bright fruit and floral notes. Great stuff.

RyanANNAPOLIS

blakewoot wrote:I bought this the last time it was offered. It is excellent, and I'm glad to have the chance to re-stock. Here's my tasting note:

Pop and pour. Translucent ruby. Earthy nose with a whiff of mushroom and forest floor. Smoke and pepper, austere dark fruit on the palate. Medium long finish with a surprising subtle bright note of sweetness as it fades. Very enjoyable. (later...) After an hour the wine opens up and shows more bright fruit and floral notes. Great stuff.

Thanks for the notes. Sounds pretty good. Ironically although I'm not much of a fan of mushrooms I love that flavor in a wine. Have really grown to enjoy the earthy, forest floor element as well.

Do you think this has some ageing potential or is it ready to drink now?

-Ryan

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:

-Ryan

It's good now and should hold up for a few more years, but no need to wait.

bobermeier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobermeier

The winemaker's website is down for "planned maintenance" while their product is on Woot! Sounds like a plan....or lack thereof.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:Thanks for the notes. Sounds pretty good. Ironically although I'm not much of a fan of mushrooms I love that flavor in a wine. Have really grown to enjoy the earthy, forest floor element as well.

-Ryan

If you like your Pinot on the earthier side this stuff is great. It's also got ageing potential, at least for a few more years. Plenty of acid in this one.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

viajerouniversal

quality posts: 21 Private Messages viajerouniversal
bobermeier wrote:The winemaker's website is down for "planned maintenance" while their product is on Woot! Sounds like a plan....or lack thereof.

It's up:

http://www.expressionwine.com/product/2007-Expression-44-Pinot-Noir--Roserock-Vineyard

It's listed on the website at $65/bottle, so the deal is 58% off list pricing, though if you take into account woot's very reasonable shipping rate, you're very likely going to be saving more than 61%.

This is great stuff. 2007 was a good year for the Willamette Valley and these guys didn't spoil what nature presented them. I've purchased 7 bottles of this "ruby-red" ambrosia over the course of the last several years, and that on the budget of a starving grad student... so, if you're able, go for it.

*edit: Ah, I see that the $140 list price is MSRP, which includes shipping. I should have known it was foolish to think I might to pull a fast one on the woot gods ;)

**Been a while winewoot, it's nice to be back.

If you drink no Pinot Noir, you Pinot Noir

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:I couldn't help but thinking that if all of the countries touched by the 44 degree parallel north line were able to produce world class wine, we would all be paying much less for our Pinot's! Since that unfortunately isn't the case, have any of my fellow Wooters tasted this?

-Ryan

Several times. For the price range it's one if the best you'll find coming out of oregon. I'd buy more (and still may) if I didn't have a bunch already. Highly recommended.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I would echo what's been said already.

More Burgundian certainly than most fruity Pinots from Sonoma coast, this wine is really quite good, and at this price an excellent value.

I couldn't make an educated guess as to aging potential, but the wine is in an excellent place right now.

With grilled salmon this wine sings!

Is it broke or just fractured?

RyanANNAPOLIS

Thanks for the info guys. You're making it hard to say no on this one. Pretty well stocked here otherwise I would have already pulled the trigger. On the topic of Sonoma wines - I recently found a producer of Chard and Pinot there that I really like. Anyone ever tried Marimar Estate? I am going to try to review their wines on my site at some point.

-Ryan

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Enjoyed a bottle of Expression 44 Willakia 2006 enough from a previous offering to give this a whirl as well. 2007 Oregon Pinot not necessarily considered a great vintage by many, but they seem to be drinking well.

And for those interested in reviews, 90 points from Burghound: "The barest hint of secondary development is now in evidence on the fresh red berry fruit nose that is laced with hints of crushed herb and spice. There is good volume and better concentration than most ‘07s possess along with a seductive mouth feel, all wrapped in a balanced and appealingly complex finish.."

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:Thanks for the info guys. You're making it hard to say no on this one. Pretty well stocked here otherwise I would have already pulled the trigger. On the topic of Sonoma wines - I recently found a producer of Chard and Pinot there that I really like. Anyone ever tried Marimar Estate? I am going to try to review their wines on my site at some point.

-Ryan

2 things. One, Miramar makes some delicious, well-priced PN. Two, you can add your website to your signature under my account so you don't have to put it in every reply.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

kaolis wrote:Enjoyed a bottle of Expression 44 Willakia 2006 enough from a previous offering to give this a whirl as well. 2007 Oregon Pinot not necessarily considered a great vintage by many, but they seem to be drinking well.

And for those interested in reviews, 90 points from Burghound: "The barest hint of secondary development is now in evidence on the fresh red berry fruit nose that is laced with hints of crushed herb and spice. There is good volume and better concentration than most ‘07s possess along with a seductive mouth feel, all wrapped in a balanced and appealingly complex finish.."

AM may be the only critic whose points I consider, if only a bit. He is a stingy critic and focused solely on Burg and only recently began getting into New World PN. His note, and score, tell me this is Burgundian to the core.

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Remember xpPinot guy.
He was cool. To bad he he doesn't want to hang out with us any more. I guess once he got enough product out there he just lets it speak for itself. I would hope if they come in with anything new to us he would would make a reappearance.

CT

mddoc101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mddoc101

FINALLY a wine I want that can be delivered to New England.

1mrsross

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 1mrsross

Does anyone know what the alcohol content on this wine is? I have looked everywhere....

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

Alan Meadows knows his Burgundy, that's for sure. If he gave it 90 points, I have to try it. I have never had such a young Pinot Noir, I thing the youngest Burgundy I have ever drunk was a late '70s Échezeaux. I also have heard a lot about Oregon Pinot but never tried any so this should be interesting and educational on several levels. The button was pushed.

My dogs like me, that is important.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:Remember xpPinot guy.
He was cool. To bad he he doesn't want to hang out with us any more. I guess once he got enough product out there he just lets it speak for itself. I would hope if they come in with anything new to us he would would make a reappearance.

I'd give him a bit of a break since it's Sunday. He got into some excellent discussion with us, iirc.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

gwg66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwg66

Bought 2 sets on an earlier woot....fantastic pinot! To me very Burgundian. Not quite Anderson Valley Golden Eye caliber, but for $27 a bottle, nothing I often see for sale near me comes close.

In for the max!

Speed to first woot: 0m 22.227s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:gwg66
Last purchase:4 minutes ago

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Enjoyed this Pinot. Bright cherry, light with some complexity. I'm interested to see what happens with a little more age.

Bought from Woot initially, then bought a half case from the winery with a deal they ran.

Had this at our school's crab feed a week or so ago - our table loved it.

hanchyang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hanchyang
1mrsross wrote:Does anyone know what the alcohol content on this wine is? I have looked everywhere....

13.5% - from the label of the bottle I have at home

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
gwg66 wrote:Bought 2 sets on an earlier woot....fantastic pinot! To me very Burgundian. Not quite Anderson Valley Golden Eye caliber, but for $27 a bottle, nothing I often see for sale near me comes close.

In for the max!

Speed to first woot: 0m 22.227s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:gwg66
Last purchase:4 minutes ago

Not much of a Pinot drinker, but thought I might give this one a try based in the comments and a great price! In for one set!

brewsleee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brewsleee

Waddams Threatens Fire, can't ship to NV? Since when? Under rules and restrictions, we Nevadans should be able to press the stupidly large yellow buy button!

"Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators, wine may only be delivered to the following states:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Florida, Georgia,Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, NEVADA, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington"

Did I miss something?

lurkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurkey

Costco had this yesterday for $32.99. Not sure if it was this vintage.. may have been 2009.

kylemittskus

brewsleee wrote:Waddams Threatens Fire, can't ship to NV? Since when? Under rules and restrictions, we Nevadans should be able to press the stupidly large yellow buy button!

"Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators, wine may only be delivered to the following states:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Florida, Georgia,Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, NEVADA, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington"

Did I miss something?

Every winery needs to get a license for each state. They cost $$, take lots of paperwork, and can be a pain in the ass, depending on the state.