Chateau Bianca 2002 Library Oregon Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$49.99 $̶1̶0̶6̶.̶0̶0̶ 53% off List Price
2002 Chateau Bianca Estate Reserve Oregon Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

This has some bottle age for a Pinot. How are these drinking now? Usually only well made balanced Pinot's with a solid tannin structure can hold out and/or improve with this much time. Any thoughts here and have you guys had experiences with aged Pinot? (I'm not talking about Conti and La Tache here)

-Ryan
http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I had the chance to try this a few days ago.

PnP:
Color: Very dark for a Pinot. Dark red brick

Nose: Very light nose of bramble and earth.

Palate: Good acidic attack but not a whole lot of flavor. Blackberry, cedar and some greeness (think parsley). Slightly bitter finish of underripe blackberry. Surprising amount of tannin for it's age. Hoping it opens up!

1 Hr:
Nose is opening up a bit. Dark berries, forest floor, portabello mushroom and nuances of toasted oak. Palate is also opening up. The bitter finish has smoothed out some. Still a touch of green there. Medium-light body

Next day:
A lot fuller flavor today. Greeness is almost totally gone; almost seems like a different wine! Very fully body for a Pinot. Definitely an interesting wine. I guessed a price point of $15-$20 so this is slightly above that

pnonor

quality posts: 10 Private Messages pnonor

To Ryan: this aged Pinot is drinking really nicely. The years of bottle age have given it a velvety texture with a nice balance of fruit and spice character. Remember, aged Pinot is meant to be consumed once open. Pour it in a big bottled glass, share it with someone you love and enjoy!

joseph1951

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joseph1951

All other vintages are selling for $35 at the winery. How is it this sells so much above that?

pnonor

joseph1951 wrote:All other vintages are selling for $35 at the winery. How is it this sells so much above that?

This is a library wine-it is no longer available through the tasting room or on-line and in very limited supply. You are being given a great opportunity because wooters are the best!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

This looks like something klez would want...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Not everyday do I get a chance to taste a nicely aging PN, so was the opportunity yesterday prior to D&D madness.

This had been opened and recorked some 12~18 hours earlier and was presented at a cool room temperature.

Color surprisingly saturated for a PN, and showing some nice bricking around the edges.

Nose of bramble and spice, some sweet berry or floral tinges and nicely open.

First entry was slightly sharp, acid(?), but not subsequently. Almost reminded me of a syrah, not what I expected for a PN, but I've not had many 10 year old PN's yet either. A nice full mouth of dark fruits balanced with still a surprising amount of tannin in a medium finish.

Nice Pinot Noir. As I link older cabs, there is still plenty of life here for me and grateful I had the opportunity to sample a glass.

Surprisingly I found the 2003 still offered for $32 on the CB site but not the 2002.

CT

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:This looks like something klez would want...

I think you are on to something there.

CT

pops200

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pops200

Average of 85 points in 2 community wine reviews on 2002 Château Bianca Pinot Noir Winery on CellarTracker.com

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
ajrod27 wrote:I had the chance to try this a few days ago.

PnP:
Color: Very dark for a Pinot. Dark red brick

Nose: Very light nose of bramble and earth.

Palate: Good acidic attack but not a whole lot of flavor. Blackberry, cedar and some greeness (think parsley). Slightly bitter finish of underripe blackberry. Surprising amount of tannin for it's age. Hoping it opens up!

1 Hr:
Nose is opening up a bit. Dark berries, forest floor, portabello mushroom and nuances of toasted oak. Palate is also opening up. The bitter finish has smoothed out some. Still a touch of green there. Medium-light body

Next day:
A lot fuller flavor today. Greeness is almost totally gone; almost seems like a different wine! Very fully body for a Pinot. Definitely an interesting wine. I guessed a price point of $15-$20 so this is slightly above that

One of the CT comments mentions that this is semi-dry. Can you comment on that?

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:One of the CT comments mentions that this is semi-dry. Can you comment on that?

For me, dry on the palate, but somewhat sweet to the nose. Didn't note anything I'd attribute to RS.

CT

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm

For some strange inexplicable reason, I just happen to have a bottle of this wine to taste. I just opened it.

The wine is limpid and has very nice color for a 12-odd year old Pinot - reddish (no purple) with just a hint of bricking around the edge (when held over a white card).

The nose, before any tasting and right after opening is interesting: definitely redolent of bottle age, hints of leather, tobacco, indifferentiable spice, some strawberry hints, something floral.

I will taste within a half an hour or so and report.

OK - the aromas have intensified a bit, but remain essentially the same.

The entry is definitely characterized by mature flavors, light-to-medium body. Some fruit remains, but it's behind the earthier, spicier flavors.

In the middle palate, the balance is very nice. firm acid with good, smoothing tannin to support the flavor profile.

The finish lingers, but subtly rather than overwhelmingly.

This is a lovely wine for current drinking, and a very nice example of an older Oregon Pinot. What's it's not, however, is Burgundian. Many people consider Oregon Pinot to be typically more Burgundian than California and more complex.

This is a fairly complex wine, at what I think is probably close to its full maturity. While it will hold for a while and doesn't have to be drunk promptly, I think it will show best over the next year or two. I'm not blown away; I'm not overwhelmed; I am quite charmed.

I'll pick some up and, if you like Pinot, so will you.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

I tasted this earlier this week at the office. My first thought was "I wish I would have taken this bottle to the NorCal aged Pinot tasting..." It would have been nice to have tasted this alongside the wines we tasted there, particularly the '96 Cooper Mountain Oregon Pinot.

I think it's apparent that I like Pinot, and tasting a nice aged one is always a treat (as many don't age well).

I imagine this one was subtle when it was younger, as it currently drinks with a gentle elegance- tart berries wrapped in a light, earthy spiciness. The fruit is still holding its own after 11 years in the bottle.

I took the bottle home and finished it after dinner. A nice one to savor at the end of the day.

I also tried the 2-day-open-bottle last night at 'Sparky's Petite Suite'. My palate was a bit weathered from D&D at that point, but the wine had opened up a lot- almost too much. It wasn't bad- but it had lost some of its elegance, IMHO. Frankly, it was probably getting beaten up by the Petite Sirah that was coating my teeth.

If you haven't had older Pinot, this is one to try. And most older pinot worth drinking costs more than $25 a bottle.

Thanks chateau Bianca for cracking open the library for us!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

pnonor

cortot20 wrote:One of the CT comments mentions that this is semi-dry. Can you comment on that?

Most reds are typically dry. This one is bone dry. The semi-dry comment might be the perception of the softer finish and the lighter tannins on the palate.

rpm

rjquillin wrote:Not everyday do I get a chance to taste a nicely aging PN, so was the opportunity yesterday prior to D&D madness.

This had been opened and recorked some 12~18 hours earlier and was presented at a cool room temperature.

Color surprisingly saturated for a PN, and showing some nice bricking around the edges.

Nose of bramble and spice, some sweet berry or floral tinges and nicely open.

First entry was slightly sharp, acid(?), but not subsequently. Almost reminded me of a syrah, not what I expected for a PN, but I've not had many 10 year old PN's yet either. A nice full mouth of dark fruits balanced with still a surprising amount of tannin in a medium finish.

Nice Pinot Noir. As I link older cabs, there is still plenty of life here for me and grateful I had the opportunity to sample a glass.

Surprisingly I found the 2003 still offered for $32 on the CB site but not the 2002.

Very nice notes, grasshopper! Personal, yet helpful and thorough.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:This looks like something klez would want...

That was my reaction last night when I saw the offer. Then I said "self, you need to wait and see if non-rats can help you out." Lo and behold the non-rats chimed in and I'm still torn. Mostly by the "reminded me of Syrah" comment. To me that's not a desirable characteristic of Pinot. Then rpm chimes in. I'm still torn. I'll check in later today.

Also...to pnonor - what clones are used here?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
rpm wrote:For some strange inexplicable reason, I just happen to have a bottle of this wine to taste. I just opened it.

The wine is limpid and has very nice color for a 12-odd year old Pinot - reddish (no purple) with just a hint of bricking around the edge (when held over a white card).

The nose, before any tasting and right after opening is interesting: definitely redolent of bottle age, hints of leather, tobacco, indifferentiable spice, some strawberry hints, something floral.

I will taste within a half an hour or so and report.

OK - the aromas have intensified a bit, but remain essentially the same.

The entry is definitely characterized by mature flavors, light-to-medium body. Some fruit remains, but it's behind the earthier, spicier flavors.

In the middle palate, the balance is very nice. firm acid with good, smoothing tannin to support the flavor profile.

The finish lingers, but subtly rather than overwhelmingly.

This is a lovely wine for current drinking, and a very nice example of an older Oregon Pinot. What's it's not, however, is Burgundian. Many people consider Oregon Pinot to be typically more Burgundian than California and more complex.

This is a fairly complex wine, at what I think is probably close to its full maturity. While it will hold for a while and doesn't have to be drunk promptly, I think it will show best over the next year or two. I'm not blown away; I'm not overwhelmed; I am quite charmed.

Damn you RPM. I was thinking about this as I am looking for older wines for when I visit the US since I don't have time to wait for the newer ones to age. I was thinking if only RPM would taste this wine and give his insight, that might be enough to push me over the edge. And look who chimed in. It was that line

because I do like Pinot. So I hit the big yellow button and alas, this wine doesn't ship to Ohio. Oh well. I still have time, there will probably be more older wines to order. I just hope RPM will inexplicably have those as well!

My dogs like me, that is important.

StarM

quality posts: 20 Private Messages StarM

Thanks to all for your reviews -- in for 1

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

pnonor

Our Estate Pinot Noirs make great aging candidates since we rack them in new oak for about 18 months. The tannin extraction helps the wines to age gracefully for years in the bottle; we typically age these anywhere from 5 to 7 years before we release them so the acids and tannins have time to mellow out.

klezman

pnonor wrote:Our Estate Pinot Noirs make great aging candidates since we rack them in new oak for about 18 months. The tannin extraction helps the wines to age gracefully for years in the bottle; we typically age these anywhere from 5 to 7 years before we release them so the acids and tannins have time to mellow out.

Which PN clones do you use in these wines?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

pnonor

klezman wrote:Which PN clones do you use in these wines?

It's a blend of Pommard and Wadensville clones.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Mostly by the "reminded me of Syrah" comment. To me that's not a desirable characteristic of Pinot. Then rpm chimes in. I'm still torn.

For me, I think it was the spice that suggested syrah. Not enough history with older Oregon pn's to know if this is to be expected or not. A nice bottle, just a bit above my price point after D&D.

CT

rpm

rjquillin wrote:For me, I think it was the spice that suggested syrah. Not enough history with older Oregon pn's to know if this is to be expected or not. A nice bottle, just a bit above my price point after D&D.

I had a friend over this afternoon who also found Syrah-like notes in the wine. I did not, but he did.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman

rjquillin wrote:For me, I think it was the spice that suggested syrah. Not enough history with older Oregon pn's to know if this is to be expected or not. A nice bottle, just a bit above my price point after D&D.

Last wooter to woot: klezman
This plus a stop at K&L and Costco have made this a hefty wine buying day!

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Last wooter to woot: klezman
This plus a stop at K&L and Costco have made this a hefty wine buying day!

Stop @ Prager today was a four digit hit!

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Stop @ Prager today was a four digit hit!

I found their wine tasty and nicely overpriced