cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Can we please stop threatening to leave every time something happens that we don't like? It's getting really old. Does it suck that we see the tax now? Yes. Is it changing the price you pay in the end? Perhaps a few cents +/-. Should we storm the Bastille? Hell yes! But let's all be clear about what the Bastille is in this case. It isn't woot.

I already sacked the Bastille, now I'm on to crushing Vienna, who's with me? (Raises sword in a rallying cry.)

CT

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS
chipgreen wrote:I bought this last time. Interesting blend of Riesling/Albariño/Chard that shows characteristics of all three varietals. Slightly heavy/viscuous mouthfeel and notes of petrol and pear from the Riesling, tropical fruits and bright acidity from the Albariño and tart green apple and mineral notes from the Chardonnay.

It's very quaffable and $5 less than before so this might be a good opportunity to start stocking up on summer whites.

Sounds like an interesting wine. Thanks for the notes. I'm tempted to give this one a go. I myself would probably prefer less residual sugar but my much of my family likes a bit of sweetness to their whites and this seems like a good balance.

-Ryan
http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
greyday wrote:Heh, yeah, this. Not to, you know, rub it in, but look at it this way: something like 70 wine woots in, I paid a lot of tax I normally wouldn't have...

No you didn't...the winery simply got to keep a slightly higher cut of the $ you paid vs what I paid living in California.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
ScottHarveyWines wrote:In the past when we negociated the price with woot we figured in about 8% tax that we would have to pay. We always try to make sure Woot offers the lowest price, so we are conscious of our bottom line when negociating the price and always had to figure we would be paying approx. 8% state taxes. Now we can negociate a lower price because we will no longer be losing the 8% tax.

Word. Thanks Scott!
To everybody else...just figure your percent discount or per-bottle price or whatever based on the all-in price. Compare it to your next most available all-in price. I bet WD still has us covered with good deals.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Bione

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Bione
funbunny wrote:If you or your family/friends enjoy sweeter rieslings, this is a good match for you. I had served this for my white selection at Thanksgiving and it was a hit. It went well with the mix of foods that is usually hard to pin down a wine for. For that reason I think this wine is perfect for summer bbq's when everyone is bringing their favorite appetizer or Grandma's famous ambrosia salad.

I would also recommend this with spicy foods, a light chicken dish, or even as a dessert wine if you are serving pastries like strudel or fruit tarts.

I agree with many of the comments above. This isn't my favorite wine, but Reisling lovers and novice wine drinkers seem to really enjoy it. It works very well for some foods, and incorporates nicely in recipes that call for a Chardonnay or Reisling wine (my pear tart or cupcake recipes both benefit from it). The reason I say it's very food dependent is that different bottles seem quite different in character. It's either really sensitive to 'bottle shock' or the food it's being served with, or it's a pretty variable wine.

I didn't really understand the rave reviews it received during the mixed cases in the run-up to Christmas...

It is crazy that each state has different tax and shipping requirements (and until recently drinking ages), but that's my federalist leanings talking! As long as there are reasonable interstate roads for Woots to be shipped to me, I'll pay the NY sales tax. But probably not for this deal - I still have a couple of bottles.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Bione wrote:

I didn't really understand the rave reviews it received during the mixed cases in the run-up to Christmas...

It didn't. Those rave reviews were for the 1st and 2nd versions of this wine, not this one (the 3rd version). Many were hoping they would get one of the older versions in the random packs.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
p2002 wrote:Funny, I was grumbling yesterday at my mixed fortune. Having the good fortune to find (3) 07' Wellington Merlot at the local grocers closeout bin, my spirit dampened a bit on approaching the cashier and remembering I would be paying tax on top of my purchase. Then I remembered it was PW! Here in Ohio! All is well(ington).

(Buehler's Chip - but don't bother with Wadsworth - those are all mine
)

Your grocer carries Wellington? Out here, we can get Barefoot Wines, Kendall Jackson, and the like.

Re taxes, I like the transparency (that word again!) of the new policy.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
p2002 wrote:Funny, I was grumbling yesterday at my mixed fortune. Having the good fortune to find (3) 07' Wellington Merlot at the local grocers closeout bin, my spirit dampened a bit on approaching the cashier and remembering I would be paying tax on top of my purchase. Then I remembered it was PW! Here in Ohio! All is well(ington).

(Buehler's Chip - but don't bother with Wadsworth - those are all mine
)

I did see a single bottle of Wellington Chardonnay at a wine store in Chesterland a few weeks ago. You never know where wine is going to end up sometimes once distributors decide to clear out inventory. I got a sweet deal on some Scott Harvey InZinerator at a local wine shop last year.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie
ThunderThighs wrote:Are you still getting a site error? Can you try a different browser?

Yep. Still getting the error. Tried on my windows 8 desktop and my ipad safari browser. Both do not work. What is weird is that if I try on any other woot site I am fine.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
ThunderThighs wrote:

Yo! There's been some changes with the order process. Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information.

If I recall correctly, this past week there was some complaining about a lack of transparency. Now it's there and there is complaining.

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1
jmdavidson wrote:If I recall correctly, this past week there was some complaining about a lack of transparency. Now it's there and there is complaining.

If you stood on a street corner and handed out $100 bills I can guarantee you would have some people complain that the $100 bill they received was not a new crisp one like the previous lucky person.

BTW, I found the Triacipedis to be an easy drinking white, works well w/ lots of food, from pasta w/ cream sauce to thai w/ a little spice. I also like the name!!! Quite clever....but what else would you expect from the friends at Wine.Woot?!!!

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

We've all been paying sales/use tax whether woot or the winery collected it or not.

If the seller doesn't charge you sales tax, you're supposed to claim it on your state tax form and pay the sales tax in the form of a "use" tax because you imported it and didn't pay sales tax on it when you imported it into your state.

Just like buying cars out of state, except that they collect the sales tax (or difference) when you register the car in your home state. Since there isn't anything like that for other items, you pay the "use tax" instead of the sales tax. Either way, items sold are taxed.

That said, the states haven't figured out a way to effectively enforce use tax assessment and collection. And I'm not about to help out my state legislature to figure it out either. That's their job.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mrn1 wrote:

I also like the name!!! Quite clever....but what else would you expect from the friends at Wine.Woot?!!!

For those uninitiated, say the word Triacipedis in an “Brooklyn” accent and you’ll get the picture.

North316

Winedavid39 wrote:For those uninitiated, say the word Triacipedis in an “Brooklyn” accent and you’ll get the picture.

Not sure why this of all things reminded me, but where are those woot cellars posters you said were in the works?

My CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
ScottHarveyWines wrote:In the past when we negociated the price with woot we figured in about 8% tax that we would have to pay. We always try to make sure Woot offers the lowest price, so we are conscious of our bottom line when negociating the price and always had to figure we would be paying approx. 8% state taxes. Now we can negociate a lower price because we will no longer be losing the 8% tax.

Thanks Scott

fredrinaldi

klezman wrote:No you didn't...the winery simply got to keep a slightly higher cut of the $ you paid vs what I paid living in California.

where in Calie?, Me Manhattan beach

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

fredrinaldi wrote:where in Calie?, Me Manhattan beach

After hearing your BBQ setup, and now the South Bay... seems like a great spot for a So Cal Woot gathering.... ;) Maybe an all Cab event!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Have had mixed results with the Tri, but want to "tri" 3, so in for one. I found that they all do well when really chilled.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
Winedavid39 wrote:For those uninitiated, say the word Triacipedis in an “Brooklyn” accent and you’ll get the picture.

Mind = blown. All these years, and I've been nowhere close to the correct pronunciation!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

My thoughts:

1. There is now way of knowing if the price per offer from this point forward will be lower to account for the tax upfront but I sure hope so if what Scott Harvey very kindly explained is taken into account by the Woot Gods

2. Like a good citizaen I disclosed non-taxed purchases over the internet on my tax form last year NOT knowing Woot included it in its price..does this mean I paid tax twice? That would really suck!

3. Question: why charge tax on shipping? Curious.

4. I hope people stop complaining because we ALL saw this coming not just on WW but on purchases made over the internet...yes, it is interstate commerce (virtual)and USSC has no clear ruling on the issue (to my knowledge) but with some states drafting legislation to tax merchants doing business in their state even w/o a brick and mortar store this was inevitable.

5. Paying taxes is the right thing to do! Be fair.

"The older I get the better I was"

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
losthighwayz wrote:My thoughts:

3. Question: why charge tax on shipping? Curious.

I believe that's a matter of state law. (If I'm correct about that, it will vary by state).

North316

losthighwayz wrote:
2. Like a good citizaen I disclosed non-taxed purchases over the internet on my tax form last year NOT knowing Woot included it in its price..does this mean I paid tax twice? That would really suck!

Yes, you absolutely paid twice, and if the amount you paid was significant, I would amended your return.

It was clearly noted on the information sheet that gets shipped with each order (almost every order had one) the price paid included tax, where applicable.

My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ru4tunate2 wrote:Oh damm, 9% sales tax in Arizona, no more Woot wine for me

you're thinking of this all wrong you know. If you go to the local wine merchant, what % are you paying? Now, find a bottle you know you like there with the kind of reviews you get here. Better yet, find the same bottle (obviously not this one) sometime locally and compare the prices. You'll come out ahead here EVERY TIME I'm willing to bet.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

O M G! I never knew this.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Can we please stop threatening to leave every time something happens that we don't like? It's getting really old. Does it suck that we see the tax now? Yes. Is it changing the price you pay in the end? Perhaps a few cents +/-. Should we storm the Bastille? Hell yes! But let's all be clear about what the Bastille is in this case. It isn't woot.

I've always wanted to do that. I think I'd have been excellent in a mob.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Can we put our votes in for the Tri 4 blend, or is it too late? I vote dry, dry, dry.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bborozan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bborozan
ThunderThighs wrote:O M G! I never knew this.

? of you:

why does woot consider a shipping fee to be taxable?

other "middlemen" do not.

thanks!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

bborozan wrote:? of you:

why does woot consider a shipping fee to be taxable?

other "middlemen" do not.

thanks!

If you have any questions regarding any fees collected at checkout, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com or click the Support Tab at the top of the Wine page to place a ticket/question.

Hope this is helpful :D

North316

ROGETRAY wrote:If you have any questions regarding any fees collected at checkout, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com or click the Support Tab at the top of the Wine page to place a ticket/question.

Hope this is helpful :D

Helpful would be just answering the question....

My CT

fredrinaldi

North316 wrote:Helpful would be just answering the question....

Good response North, Heaven forbid we get an honest and to the point answer

I truely miss the original Wine Woot

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
klezman wrote:No you didn't...the winery simply got to keep a slightly higher cut of the $ you paid vs what I paid living in California.

Well, by that argument, all the sales tax states are ALSO getting a bigger discount now, they just have to pay the tax. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. ;)

EDIT TO ADD: for the record, I don't mind having paid more in the past or the wineries making more off me to be able to charge less to high sales tax states. In any way. At all. I am very pro winery...

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
kylemittskus wrote:Can we please stop threatening to leave every time something happens that we don't like? It's getting really old.

The logical approach would be to simply stop coming....

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
losthighwayz wrote:2. Like a good citizaen I disclosed non-taxed purchases over the internet on my tax form last year NOT knowing Woot included it in its price..does this mean I paid tax twice? That would really suck!

You should not waste a moment worrying about taxes perhaps unfairly not being paid on interstate wine shipments into your state.

Why is that you ask?

Well ..... a winery is prohibited from shipping wine into a state unless the winery receives permission to ship wine into the state. Part of the process of getting that permission requires the winery to obtain some kind of license or permit from the authorities in that state. And one of the conditions of getting that permit is to report shipments of wine into the state and remit all taxes due on those sales - generally sales taxes and spirits taxes.

Go ahead - investigate the rules for your state for what is required to obtain permission to ship. I guarantee that you will find that at some point there will be an obligation to report sales and remit taxes. For example, in Washington State one cannot apply for an interstate wine shippers permit from the State Liquor Control Board without first obtaining a Washington business license from the Secretary of State. As soon as you have have a business license you are enrolled in the state tax system and are obligated to file a report your business volume in the state no less frequently than quarterly and pay all sales and excise taxes. Then Liquor Control Board requires you to make a separate report, which includes calculation and payment of state spirits taxes.

So, yes, you have been generously helping pay for your governor's limousine by paying taxes twice on your internet wine shipments from out of state. You probably think that because the winery doesn't break out the sales tax separately they aren't collecting it and paying it. You are wrong - that is unless the winery is flouting the law and not reporting the sales.

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
losthighwayz wrote:

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes, it's just what they do with that money that bothers me.

losthighwayz

noslensj wrote:You should not waste a moment worrying about taxes perhaps unfairly not being paid on interstate wine shipments into your state.

Why is that you ask?

Well ..... a winery is prohibited from shipping wine into a state unless the winery receives
permission to ship wine into the state. Part of the process of getting that permission requires the winery to obtain some kind of license or permit from the authorities in that state. And one of the conditions of getting that permit is to report shipments of wine into the state and remit all taxes due on those sales - generally sales taxes and spirits taxes.

Go ahead - investigate the rules for your state for what is required to obtain permission to
ship. I guarantee that you will find that at some point there will be an obligation to report sales and remit taxes. For example, in Washington State one cannot apply for an interstate wine shippers permit from the State Liquor Control Board without first obtaining a Washington business license from the Secretary of State. As soon as you have have a business license you are enrolled in the state tax system and are obligated to file a report your business volume in the state no

less frequently than quarterly and pay all sales and excise taxes. Then Liquor Control Board requires you to make a separate report, which includes calculation and payment of state spirits taxes.

So, yes, you have been generously helping pay for your governor's limousine by paying taxes twice on your internet wine shipments from out of state. You probably think that because the winery doesn't break out the sales tax separately they aren't collecting it and paying it. You are wrong - that is unless the winery is flouting the law and not reporting

the sales.

Thanks for the info on winery licenses but what I was trying to say is that the day where purchases made online were not taxed are coming to an end. Also, i did not pay tax twice out of the kindness of my heart. I made a mistake thinking i was not paying taxes on wine woot purchases.

losthighwayz

dalematthew wrote:I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes, it's just what they do with that money that bothers me.

Fair in terms of paying my fair share of taxes like everyone else. What the govt does with those taxes is another story! But agree with you

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons
redwinefan wrote:Can we put our votes in for the Tri 4 blend, or is it too late? I vote dry, dry, dry.

Yes, would love something more dry, like a sharp Vin Verde.