archimedesbathtub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages archimedesbathtub

Is it dishwasher safe?

C Struzynski

chipgreen

quality posts: 190 Private Messages chipgreen
archimedesbathtub wrote:Is it dishwasher safe?

Not if you want to get more than 3-4 uses out of it. It's naturally antiseptic and anti-bacterial so according to the manufacturer, all that's needed is a quick wipe with a towel.

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal
thewronggrape wrote:I saw this on sneakpeeq earlier today for $36 shipped and considered it briefly.

After seeing it here, I did some more research and found this website with a better explanation of what this is and a long list of uses.

http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

I think I want it even more now.

This links has made me say yes. Thanks!

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

Williams Sonoma (surprisingly) has a larger one for 4 cents less.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/7870652/?catalogId=21&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Outdoor&cm_pla=Grill_Accessories&cm_ite=Himalayan_Salt_Plate_%7C_Williams-Sonoma&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-232773360-2

[MOD: Plus $7.50 shipping for one.]

chipgreen

lipophilia wrote:Williams Sonoma (surprisingly) has a larger one for 4 cents less.

Yep, 50% more surface area and free shipping if you buy 2 (or buy 1 and some other item for $20). Linkified

timmyvee

quality posts: 7 Private Messages timmyvee

My wife bought a set of shot glasses made of this--Tequila with a cold "glass" and wallah. Will last a long long time. I think I might be in.

chipgreen

Neenie2 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how much does the salt tile weigh?

The 8"x12" one at Williams-Sonoma is listed at 11 lbs. don't know if that is actual weight or shipping weight but using that as a guide, this one should be 7ish lbs.

jdcamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jdcamp
timmyvee wrote:My wife bought a set of shot glasses made of this--Tequila with a cold "glass" and wallah.

In for one.

jdcamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jdcamp

Anyone know if these are worth much for veggies? I'm a No Meat Athlete (copyright?), so wouldn't have much use in that regard.

nandaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nandaman

Ummm...good product, but just buy off ebay for about $7-12 instead - from this link or many, many others. Don't pay $20 for a crappy canvas bag!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=himalayan+salt+table&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=himalayan+salt+slab&_sacat=0

tjalsma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjalsma

I'll use sea salt, thanks.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jdcamp wrote:Anyone know if these are worth much for veggies? I'm a No Meat Athlete (copyright?), so wouldn't have much use in that regard.

I don't see why it wouldn't work as well for veggies, though you can't fit all that many on a 8x8 tile. Not as much bang for the buck as it would be with meat.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
Neenie2 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how much does the salt tile weigh?

Approximate Density of Sea Salt:
~0.05 lbs/in^3

Rough Volume of cube:
8in. * 8in. * 1.5in. = 96in^3

Approximate Weight:
0.05lbs/in^3 * 96in^3 = 4.8 lbs

Thats just over 2kg for the rest of the world.

As for the cooking properties/advantages, I have no idea!

fupjack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fupjack

I work at a salt mine. We occasionally find small amounts of pink salt in the larger salt vein that we mine... As another person said, it's pink because it's dirty. I have some on my office shelf.

Depending on how this was cut, it could be very pretty. I'd say it's better to save it as a (heavy!) serving platter, and buy a cheap-but-just-as-dense ceramic tile to use in your oven or grill, where it won't matter if it gets marked up.

Also, salt is a soft rock, so be careful. A carefully placed smack will not just crack the rock, but fragment it.

bryjan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryjan

it's all about size, what are the salt block's dimensions?

North316

bryjan wrote:it's all about size, what are the salt block's dimensions?

It says right in the specs, 8x8x1.5.....

My CT

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
ajrod27 wrote:You are correct about the thermal properties being similar to bricks, but will the bricks impart flavor and minerals into the food cooked on it? And more importantly, does it look as pretty?

and even more importantly, a tile (or brick) will capture food and bacteria to some extent. Even a glazed one will become porous after a few heating/cooling cycles.

With a slab of salt, each washing strips away a layer and essentially becomes a brand new surface.

tylerbrackeen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tylerbrackeen
akr wrote:http://www.purehimalayansalt.com/8x4x2-inch-salt-brick-tiles/ is $17 with free shipping for me. Nice idea though for fish.

[MOD: Yours is 8x4. Ours is 8x8.]

I have the 8x4 and have to cram everything on it and pack it in for just a two person meal. The 8x8 is definitely a better option. Make sure you rinse very well before your first use- otherwise it will you a sour (bazinga!) taste for your new product. Couldn't be happier with this item.

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma
timmyvee wrote:My wife bought a set of shot glasses made of this--Tequila with a cold "glass" and wallah.

Wallah? Methinks you mean voilà

damonstealth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damonstealth

Keep in mind that Himalayan salt IS NOT like 'regular' salt. Table salt is highly processed and has been stripped of all trace minerals and micro-nutrients. Himalayan salt has almost 100 additional components that your body needs. I just bought 50lbs of Himalayan salt for canning and long-term storage. The pink stuff has a different taste than what you're probably used to... more earthy and you can taste more than just the sodium chloride. (only thing I don't like it on is popcorn)

I've never cooked on a slab but may have to buy this to try it. And as another wooter said, you could always break it up and crush/grind if necessary.

If you want to know about the health benefits of Himalayan pink compared to regular salt, Dr. Mercola has an excellent video that dispels the propaganda around salt in general.

http://youtu.be/HoE4ugZclk4

damonstealth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damonstealth

Another good vid on the differences and benefits of Himalayan salt.

http://youtu.be/KLfBp3t4XQM

ChampionOfChaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChampionOfChaos
ThunderThighs wrote:Found this:

Cooking with Himalayan Salt Plates, Blocks & Bricks

What can you find? Let's go!

Did anyone else get nostalgic and teary-eyed listening to Journey in the background of this video?

Woots:
1. Razer Copperhead 2000dpi Laser Gaming Mouse
2. Star Wars Vault: 30 Years of Treasures From the Lucasfilm Archives
3. Peavey Rockmaster Standard Acoustic Stage Pack
4. Excalibur NF07-08 NFL Premium Edition Vibrating Football
5. Kelty Shrike 32 Daypack
6. Kelty Courser 40 Backpack
7. Kershaw Vapor III Folding Knife
8. Imaginext Castle Ogre
9. All-Over Paisley Wrap

tomaste

quality posts: 13 Private Messages tomaste
chipgreen wrote:Yep, 50% more surface area and free shipping if you buy 2 (or buy 1 and some other item for $20). Linkified

I wanted two anyway, so thanks for the link! Two larger ones and free shipping for the same price.

billmarsano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmarsano

Call me when you get one big enough for grownups. and 8x8 tiles is good for what--one pancake at a time? Price is ridiculous too.

haegerrulz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haegerrulz
jaimelobo wrote:and even more importantly, a tile (or brick) will capture food and bacteria to some extent. Even a glazed one will become porous after a few heating/cooling cycles.

This is OT but although it is true that a common brick could absorb some food, most relevant bacteria dies above 180F so if the brick was pre-heated there is no problem.

Stoneware tiles (pizza stones) should be watertight (2-5% porosity) and not absorb anything significant.
Gloss glazed tiles generally do not become porous after oven heating cycles. If the gloss glaze was not developed correctly, it may craze (introducing porosity) or be attacked by acid in the food. I probably wouldn't cook on/in a matte or weirdly glazed tile or container anyways.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
jdcamp wrote:Anyone know if these are worth much for veggies? I'm a No Meat Athlete (copyright?), so wouldn't have much use in that regard.

I had one of these demoed for me at a wine tasting in Atlantic City. My wife and I loved it but did not end up purchasing one at the time - I didn't want to lug it around for the remainder of the event.

Beyond cooking on this, you can simply use it as a cutting board and slice veggies on it. At the show, the person showing us the product was slicing tomatoes for a Caprese salad. After the tomatoes were sliced, the amount of salt that transferred to the slices were perfect! They did the same with some cucumbers, carrots and other veggies as well.

haegerrulz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haegerrulz
tdedek wrote:Beyond cooking on this, you can simply use it as a cutting board and slice veggies on it. At the show, the person showing us the product was slicing tomatoes for a Caprese salad. After the tomatoes were sliced, the amount of salt that transferred to the slices were perfect! They did the same with some cucumbers, carrots and other veggies as well.

Using this for a cutting board will dull your knives as this mineral (salt is harder than your knife blade. This is why cutting boards are made from plastic or wood. Glass or any other ceramic surface will wreak havoc on metal blades.

xercess

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xercess
mjc613 wrote: You don't get the grill marks, but isn't that just for looks?

No, food browning is part of the Maillard Reaction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

joshthegeek wrote:What you are getting is a block of rusty rock salt from Pakistan.

Atleast it's not from Tibet.

fupjack wrote:Also, salt is a soft rock, so be careful. A carefully placed smack will not just crack the rock, but fragment it.

And then you'll have to gather the shrapnel to eat later.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin
tomaste wrote:I wanted two anyway, so thanks for the link! Two larger ones and free shipping for the same price.

It doesn't look like the W-S salt plate comes with the canvas bag, either, if that affects your decision one way or the other.

jokila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokila

Here's an 8x8x2 for $17
http://www.amazon.com/The-Spice-Lab-Himalayan-Block/dp/B003C1FI92/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

akr wrote:http://www.purehimalayansalt.com/8x4x2-inch-salt-brick-tiles/ is $17 with free shipping for me. Nice idea though for fish.

[MOD: Yours is 8x4. Ours is 8x8.]

Bakermr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bakermr

My Doctor told me I should have more salt in my diet. This will be perfect!

wesbc

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wesbc
jokila wrote:Here's an 8x8x2 for $17
http://www.amazon.com/The-Spice-Lab-Himalayan-Block/dp/B003C1FI92/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Add $26.97 for shipping.

Xiola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xiola

Just out of curiosity - when you guys read the word "Pakistan," in your minds are you hearing "Pock - iz - tahn" or "Pack - is - stan" rhyming with "plan"?

~X

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
haegerrulz wrote:Using this for a cutting board will dull your knives as this mineral (salt is harder than your knife blade. This is why cutting boards are made from plastic or wood. Glass or any other ceramic surface will wreak havoc on metal blades.

Agree that I wouldn't use one of my Wusthof or Shun blades on this, but would have no problem using a cheap serrated knife, similar to the one I would be using anyway, to cut soft vegetables like tomatoes on top of this slab of salt.

But you do bring up an interesting point and wish I would have brought it up at the show to see what they would have recommended.

DrJ48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DrJ48

PERFECT AND PRICELESS!!!

chipgreen

sdownin wrote:It doesn't look like the W-S salt plate comes with the canvas bag, either, if that affects your decision one way or the other.

Good point

North316

This seems like a very dangerous wine bottle opener, but to each his own.

My CT

peaston75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peaston75
nandaman wrote:Ummm...good product, but just buy off ebay for about $7-12 instead - from this link or many, many others. Don't pay $20 for a crappy canvas bag!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=himalayan+salt+table&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=himalayan+salt+slab&_sacat=0

Looks to me that most of those are more expensive than this.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

c/o vidio on page one of comments, their cooking bell peppers

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
ChampionOfChaos wrote:Did anyone else get nostalgic and teary-eyed listening to Journey in the background of this video?

yep, that song played at my wedding