Cesare

quality posts: 1626 Private Messages Cesare

Himalayan Salt Cooking Tile & Canvas Bag
$29.99 $̶4̶9̶.̶9̶9̶ 40% off List Price

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jjgollum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjgollum

Weird!!!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Very interesting Woot. You have sparked my curiosity. I was good all wootoff, however this looks intriguing. I will go in for one and see how it works out

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111
jjgollum wrote:Weird!!!

Yeah. I don't get it?! I want more wine.......

Neenie2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neenie2

Just out of curiosity, how much does the salt tile weigh?

paintednightsky

quality posts: 6 Private Messages paintednightsky

Veryyy interesting... I wonder how long it lasts and how much it salts food.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

Could I buy this for my horse to use as a salt lick?

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
hehthuryo wrote:Could I buy this for my horse to use as a salt lick?

Sure just hang it from his neck in the canvas bag

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

I couldn't find it on wine searcher or cellartracker. Is this a red or a blush?

CAisBurning

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CAisBurning

I wonder how long this would take to dissolve with normal usage, and if it would over-salt the food.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

We use a block slightly larger than this for our grill and I can't say enough good things about it. It conducts heat well, so your food is evenly cooked, with no hot spots. It's great for grilling fish and veggies, and you don't have to worry about your food sticking to the grill or falling in. You don't get the grill marks, but isn't that just for looks? Just remember not to put salt on your food before you grill it!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
CAisBurning wrote:I wonder how long this would take to dissolve with normal usage, and if it would over-salt the food.

I think it should last about 8 months to a year. We wash ours off each time we use it, and that wears it down a little each time.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Found this:

Cooking with Himalayan Salt Plates, Blocks & Bricks

What can you find? Let's go!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

I saw this on sneakpeeq earlier today for $36 shipped and considered it briefly.

After seeing it here, I did some more research and found this website with a better explanation of what this is and a long list of uses.

http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

I think I want it even more now.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
mjc613 wrote:We use a block slightly larger than this for our grill and I can't say enough good things about it. It conducts heat well, so your food is evenly cooked, with no hot spots. It's great for grilling fish and veggies, and you don't have to worry about your food sticking to the grill or falling in. You don't get the grill marks, but isn't that just for looks? Just remember not to put salt on your food before you grill it!

Do you pre-heat the grill before placing the salt block in or do you let it warm up with the grill?

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

You can always saw off a hunk, crush it to rock salt consistency/size and then pour it into a grinder.

Presto! Himalayan Pink Salt Grinder!

Or buy the same thing for $3 at Trader Joe's.

Oh, wait. You're supposed to *cook* with it. Mmmmmm. Kobe carpaccio laid out on this hunk-a-hunk-a-burnin-love. What's not to like?

$34.95 free ship @ SaltWorks.us

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams

I have had too much salt. Gotta pass on this one...ha

sarahjeanna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahjeanna

very interesting! ive never seen or even heard of this thing before.. i am very tempted..

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

And here's an Instructable showing a guy cooking shrimp and an egg on his salt tile after heating it on a gas stove:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cooking-with-an-Ancient-Himalayan-Salt-Block/

ETA: Drats! Both links I posted were already posted I see. 'Twas too busy reading.

J83pc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages J83pc

I have a Himalayan salt lamp that's supposed to give off good vibes. I wonder if this would do the same thing.

You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
doctor.who

joshthegeek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joshthegeek

I hope you all realize that "Himalayan Salt" is a marketing term for Halite (aka rock salt) that comes from Pakistan. The pink color is iron oxide (aka rust).

What you are getting is a block of rusty rock salt from Pakistan.

Like practically any stone, it retains both heat and cold well. It is a mineral and minerals do that. You can accomplish the same thing with a tiles from your neighborhood hardware store.

Here's a link to make a $3 pizza stone. Switch the tiles to larger bricks and you've achieved the same results as with a "Himalayan Salt" at a fraction of the cost. http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/02/how-to-make-a-3-dollar-pizza-stone.html

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

hehthuryo wrote:Could I buy this for my horse to use as a salt lick?

LOL

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

It looks like a delicious slab of fresh salmon. Makes me hunger for some sushimi... yum.

NoIAmTheCheese

quality posts: 3 Private Messages NoIAmTheCheese

DO NOT use teriyaki sauce when cooking on one of these! We love ours, but teriyaki and other high sugar foods tend to caramelize to the salt when heated which is NOT an easy cleanup as with other foods.

jabluszko

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jabluszko
chipgreen wrote:Sure just hang it from his neck in the canvas bag

LOL. I can soo picture it!

fishman396

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fishman396
chipgreen wrote:Sure just hang it from his neck in the canvas bag

Would this work for people, too...? ;)

frosty2469

quality posts: 4 Private Messages frosty2469
joshthegeek wrote:

Buzzkill. :-)
ROTF...
Actually, just the kind of info I find entertaining!

I'll ruin something for you...
Google the original name for Chilean Sea Bass.
Are we even?

BTW, I have a $12 pizza stone, I love it, makes everything, especially any sort of frozen pizza, awesome!

ajrod27

joshthegeek wrote:I hope you all realize that "Himalayan Salt" is a marketing term for Halite (aka rock salt) that comes from Pakistan.

The Himalaya mountain range crosses through 5 countries, including Pakistan.

joshthegeek wrote:The pink color is iron oxide (aka rust).

Sodium Chloride - 98.35%
Magnesium - .07%
Sulfate - .05%
Iron - .0006%
Moisture - .026%
Insoluble - .77%
Source

joshthegeek wrote:
Like practically any stone, it retains both heat and cold well. It is a mineral and minerals do that. You can accomplish the same thing with a tiles from your neighborhood hardware store.

Here's a link to make a $3 pizza stone. Switch the tiles to larger bricks and you've achieved the same results as with a "Himalayan Salt" at a fraction of the cost. http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/02/how-to-make-a-3-dollar-pizza-stone.html

You are correct about the thermal properties being similar to bricks, but will the bricks impart flavor and minerals into the food cooked on it? And more importantly, does it look as pretty?

fachagooch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fachagooch

Just One Lick Please!!!

gina3graces

quality posts: 42 Private Messages gina3graces

Maybe I just wanna carry this around in my pocket or my purse. Or leave it in the mailbox on a warm day. Sorta wanna leave it on the backseat of my car. Just thinking of this salt slab sitting around gets me thinking about things. Like salt.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

marry me

ajrod27 wrote:You are correct about the thermal properties being similar to bricks, but will the bricks impart flavor and minerals into the food cooked on it? And more importantly, does it look as pretty?

nmbr1wooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmbr1wooter
ajrod27 wrote:Do you pre-heat the grill before placing the salt block in or do you let it warm up with the grill?

It says to heat it up slowly and take 45 minutes to heat up to hottest temp wanted. Also it takes 24 hours to cool down.

akr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akr

http://www.purehimalayansalt.com/8x4x2-inch-salt-brick-tiles/ is $17 with free shipping for me. Nice idea though for fish.

Cesare wrote:Himalayan Salt Cooking Tile & Canvas Bag
$29.99 $̶4̶9̶.̶9̶9̶ 40% off List Price

Website

[MOD: Yours is 8x4. Ours is 8x8.]

ajrod27

mattryan wrote:marry me

I do, just in time for taxes!

akr wrote:http://www.purehimalayansalt.com/8x4x2-inch-salt-brick-tiles/ is $17 with free shipping for me. Nice idea though for fish.

Half the size, half the price; Makes sense.

chipgreen

joshthegeek wrote:I hope you all realize that "Himalayan Salt" is a marketing term for Halite (aka rock salt) that comes from Pakistan. The pink color is iron oxide (aka rust).

It does say under "Winery" that the company's owner is from Pakistan, has connections back home and access to the government salt mines so yes it is Pakistani salt, FWIW.

chipgreen

fishman396 wrote:Would this work for people, too...? ;)

Yes but you have to be careful because sometimes the canvas bag tries to eat the salt!

Nom, Nom, Nom, Nom!

Rustyh3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Rustyh3

Received one of these as a Christmas gift. We have used it a few times for various meats. IT ADDS SALT FLAVOR to the food. Duh! So I would not recommend any marinades that contain salt. We like it. Thumbs up!