$74.99 $̶1̶2̶6̶.̶2̶5̶ 41% off List Price
2011 Gauthier Riesling, Santa Lucia Highlands, Hillside Vineyard
CT link above

Previous offer:
1/5/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

I have NOT tried this wine but have had quite a few offerings from Gauthier. They are all very solid, very well made wines. Not much help probably, but fwiw.

cheidorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheidorn

How is this? Anyone had it?

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
cheidorn wrote:How is this? Anyone had it?

Check out the comments on the previous offer, some good notes in there.

sgartner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sgartner

Damn, no Idaho on the list, I'm out of luck...

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

I liked it... A nice, zesty SLH Riesling.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

BelyndaG

quality posts: 17 Private Messages BelyndaG
sgartner wrote:Damn, no Idaho on the list, I'm out of luck...

Not to worry! Go to their website http://gauthiercellars.com/ or email them at service@gauthiercellars.com and tell them you want to buy their wines but you can't get them delivered to Idaho. I did this the last time they were offered because they don't deliver to Louisiana. Turns out that the issue (at least for us) is that they have a contract with a distributor in this state and can't compete with that business. We had a lively and pleasant email exchange, and a couple of phone calls, and POOF! The distributor placed exactly what we wanted in a store withing a couple of miles of my house so I could try them out. Unfortunately, the day I picked them up was the very day I came down with a double ear infection and laryngitis so I still haven't sampled the goods, but I now have some extremely pleasant contacts with a local wine distributor, and have found long lost "cousins" in Sonoma!

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

first time I've ever seen Colorado black-balled. Dang. I was going to try it.

MoveoverCinderella

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MoveoverCinderella

Off subject: Please put the Copa Del Rey back up. I missed it in the middle of the night and need 2 cases. PLEEZZZZZEE! Love ya Woot!!

Love it or leave it!

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

"Planted in the early 1970s by Robert Mondavi, the Hillside Vineyard slopes gently toward the Salinas Valley"

Does this mean that the wine is produced from 40 year old vines? At what age is it considered an "old vine" wine? 50+?

sgartner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sgartner
chipgreen wrote:"Planted in the early 1970s by Robert Mondavi, the Hillside Vineyard slopes gently toward the Salinas Valley"

Does this mean that the wine is produced from 40 year old vines? At what age is it considered an "old vine" wine? 50+?

My girlfriend who knows this stuff says that "old vine" is an inconsistently used marketing term that usually means a vine that was brought over from Europe and planted here, it does not indicate how long it has been growing in one spot here.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
loreelu wrote:first time I've ever seen Colorado black-balled. Dang. I was going to try it.

I've never seen it before either. Usually I never even check the list.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
sgartner wrote:My girlfriend who knows this stuff says that "old vine" is an inconsistently used marketing term that usually means a vine that was brought over from Europe and planted here, it does not indicate how long it has been growing in one spot here.

Interesting, this is one definition of old vines I've never heard, particularly that it is a vine brought over from Europe and planted here, despite the age of the vine. Can you explain further?

..and btw, not disagreeing that there is not some marketing involved..

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
MoveoverCinderella wrote:Off subject: Please put the Copa Del Rey back up. I missed it in the middle of the night and need 2 cases. PLEEZZZZZEE! Love ya Woot!!

Hey, while we've got the wish list open, how about another look at the Vino Noceto? And Woot, you realize the Tasi Cab (which I've never seen here) is an auto-buy for me. Hint hint ... :-)

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
nfurlong wrote:Hey, while we've got the wish list open, how about another look at the Vino Noceto? And Woot, you realize the Tasi Cab (which I've never seen here) is an auto-buy for me. Hint hint ... :-)

Been waiting 2 days for the Tasi, got to take care of the Wifie