Cesare

quality posts: 1547 Private Messages Cesare

Let The People Decide Conservative Red Blend 4-Pack
$64.99 $̶1̶1̶9̶.̶5̶5̶ 46% off List Price
2009 Conservative Red Blend

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother

heh vddd

bunnyh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyh64

Ok folks ... Anyone have any notes on this .. We love Temp. Blends. Used to do our own Temp/Sangiovese -- which was killer.

chipgreen

quality posts: 173 Private Messages chipgreen

I tried this wine recently FOR FREE! For absolute FREE! I did not pay a penny for this wine, let me make that perfectly clear! Transparent, even!

That being said, I simply cannot recommend it unless you are enamored with Conservative politics and just want to have the bottle or want to gift it to somebody who will appreciate your right-leaning wine ways.

This is a red blend by Martellotto wines, they of the Secret White blend and apparently this blend is also a secret. If I had to guess I would say mostly Zin or Tempranillo because it's full of bramble. Unfortunately, the only other discerning characteristic is the alcohol.

While I PnP this wine without benefit of decanting or aeration, I did sample it slowly over a 3 hour period, then had another taste the following morning as well as 2 days later. The wine never evolved, there was never any fruit, just heat and bramble. Not even much oak or tannins to speak of.

Apparently there was also a Progressive Red (now sold out) which was the exact same wine with a blue label.

Again, if you're into this wine for political/collecting/gifting purposes then by all means, have at it! If you're thinking of actually drinking this plonk, you may want to reconsider.

EDIT: I just saw in the specs that it is a 90% Tempranillo blend. I love me a good Tempranillo, but....

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
chipgreen wrote:I tried this wine recently FOR FREE! For absolute FREE! I did not pay a penny for this wine, let me make that perfectly clear! Transparent, even!

That being said, I simply cannot recommend it unless you are enamored with Conservative politics and just want to have the bottle or want to gift it to somebody who will appreciate your right-leaning wine ways.

This is a red blend by Martellotto wines, they of the Secret White blend and apparently this blend is also a secret. If I had to guess I would say mostly Zin or Tempranillo because it's full of bramble. Unfortunately, the only other discerning characteristic is the alcohol.

While I PnP this wine without benefit of decanting or aeration, I did sample it slowly over a 3 hour period, then had another taste the following morning as well as 2 days late. The wine never evolved, there was never any fruit, just heat and bramble. Not even much oak or tannins to speak of.

Apparently there was also a Progressive Red (now sold out) which was the exact same wine with a blue label.

Again, if you're into this wine for political/collecting/gifring purposes then by all means, have at it! If you're thinking of actually drinking this plonk, you may want to reconsider.

It's Bush's Fault!

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
chipgreen wrote:I tried this wine recently FOR FREE! For absolute FREE! I did not pay a penny for this wine, let me make that perfectly clear! Transparent, even!

While I PnP this wine without benefit of decanting or aeration, I did sample it slowly over a 3 hour period, then had another taste the following morning as well as 2 days later. The wine never evolved, there was never any fruit, just heat and bramble. Not even much oak or tannins to speak of.

Again, if you're into this wine for political/collecting/gifting purposes then by all means, have at it! If you're thinking of actually drinking this plonk, you may want to reconsider.

EDIT: I just saw in the specs that it is a 90% Tempranillo blend. I love me a good Tempranillo, but....

Obviously you didn't like it because it was free. If you had paid $200 for the bottle you would have loved it.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Is this the same winery that made the "Creationism vs Evolution" wines?

chipgreen

Regarding the collecting aspect, the Conservative Red label is actually kinda cool. It "leans" slightly to the right and there is an elephant in the background. I guess the labels on the Progressive reds leaned to the left (and of course had a donkey in the background).

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea

Chipgreen - I need to thank you for two reasons. First of all, for your good and honest review of the wine. Obviously this is only your opinion, but it is also a valued one. More importantly, thanks for ensuring that this offering will be around for a while and I will not have to show any restraint during that time .

chipgreen

sdwindansea wrote:Chipgreen - I need to thank you for two reasons. First of all, for your good and honest review of the wine. Obviously this is only your opinion, but it is also a valued one. More importantly, thanks for ensuring that this offering will be around for a while and I will not have to show any restraint during that time .

I don't think it was a flawed bottle as it didn't show any of the tell-tale signs, otherwise I would have at least mentioned the possibility. I was hoping that there were some others who got to taste this to see what their impressions were - maybe I'm crazy wrong about this wine. I'm certainly not an expert but it was bad. really. really. bad.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fredrinaldi

with reviews like these (and I LOVE honest reviews) this offer could stall a Woot Off, might be the best thing, lots of folks have spent a lot of $$$ the last two days.

chipgreen

fredrinaldi wrote:with reviews like these (and I LOVE honest reviews) this offer could stall a Woot Off, might be the best thing, lots of folks have spent a lot of $$$ the last two days.

Yeah, but now we'll have to see it again in the next wootoff. Sorry! I didn't really think that many people even read the comments.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chipgreen wrote:I don't think it was a flawed bottle as it didn't show any of the tell-tale signs, otherwise I would have at least mentioned the possibility. I was hoping that there were some others who got to taste this to see what their impressions were - maybe I'm crazy wrong about this wine. I'm certainly not an expert but it was bad. really. really. bad.

I also got to sample this wine for free, and I'm afraid Chip is dead on with this one. I brought it to a party, and after initial tastings, it was unanimously declined when seconds were offered.

If you consider yourself a Conservative, this wine may be almost enough to make you want to switch parties.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
redwinefan wrote:...
If you consider yourself a Conservative, this wine may be almost enough to make you want to switch parties.

Ouch!

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

The people have decided...time for dinner.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea

Wow, that one actually went quick. I'm guessing it was a very limited supply.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fredrinaldi
sdwindansea wrote:Wow, that one actually went quick. I'm guessing it was a very limited supply.

Or they pulled the offering due to the reviews, no money to be made if no one is buying

CelesteCraft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CelesteCraft

Thanks for the review, Chip. I'm one of those weirdos that when I experience wine, I want the wine to actually BE an experience!