mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1
SonomaBouliste wrote:The vast majority of our reds improve substantially with bottle age, but the main reason is that we are just selling the last of our 2007s. We overproduced Zin in the early 2000s and it created some inventory backlog.

Inventory backlogs are no good for those holding the inventory, but great for the comsumer as the need to turn that inventory into cash increases. Do I read that getting inventories in better alignment w/ demand might make future Woot offerings less frequent or in a different price range? If these questions are not sonething you wish to share I can fully understand. The questions are intended to help answer what I do w/ the current offering.

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

If anyone in DFW gets this and wants to split. Please let me know.

Or even not a split..

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
tdedek wrote:They were able to with the last 2007 mixed case offer and 2007 Victory offering as well!

Loving it.

Weird, was told that the club cannot ship to NJ. We moved just after that mixed case offering, and I'm sitting on a Victory vertical already so I sat out of that one.

CT

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

I bought the mixed Wellington case a while back and enjoyed all of them. One of the two Zins I really liked, not to disparage the other, the one really was quite good.

I'm in for one this time around.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Alison Gail Bixby wrote:I love Wellington, and I love Zin, but awhile back, someone on a Woot forum made a statement about California reds: 2005 and 2007 - very good years, 2009 - good, 2008, 2010, and 2011 - not so good, 2012 - great potential. I've kept this little note and wonder if Peter has worked his magic to make 2008 Zins better than "not so good." If they are good enough for Scott Harvey, I'm sure they are plenty good for me!

Generalizing about vintage quality in California is risky business. I would venture that most Pinot Noir or Chardonnay producers would tell you 2011 was an awesome year while most Cabernet producers would tell you it sucked.
My own overall rating of the last fifteen vintages, in groups, follows:
a) 2001, 2007, 2004, 2012
b) 2009, 2005, 2008, 2003, 2006, 1999, 2002
c) 2010, 2000, 2011, 1998

Four overall outstanding vintages, where virtually all regions and varieties were above average to outstanding.

Seven vintages with mixed results: some outstanding wines each year, but some so-so.

Four difficult vintages, each with some standout wines, but also with a large number of
mediocre wines.

ego48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48

great lineage: loved previous vintages. In for 3.

SonomaBouliste

mrn1 wrote:Inventory backlogs are no good for those holding the inventory, but great for the comsumer as the need to turn that inventory into cash increases. Do I read that getting inventories in better alignment w/ demand might make future Woot offerings less frequent or in a different price range? If these questions are not sonething you wish to share I can fully understand. The questions are intended to help answer what I do w/ the current offering.

Concerns about short supply fueled by smaller California harvests in 2010 and 2011 along with a disastrous (at least in terms of quantity) 2012 in most of the major European wine producing countries have been allevited to some extent by the largest harvest in California history in 2012. Increase in the price of grapes and other costs have put wineries in a bind between maintaining affordable prices and being profitable. Even Twobuckchuck is now twofortyninechuck.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

SB - Any recommendations on storage life for the 2008?

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
nealkb wrote:Sounds like a plan. Lets try to exchange wines sometime soon?

Any chance I can grab a bottle from one of you?

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
trifecta wrote:Any chance I can grab a bottle from one of you?

Aren't you guys roomates? I have a mixed case at my friends house. Let me see if I can get that soon, I know there are a couple of zins in there...

Neal K Bharadwaj

SonomaBouliste

boatman72 wrote:SB - Any recommendations on storage life for the 2008?

Sonoma Valley and Meeks Hilltop now to 2-3 more years. Estate Vineyard up to 10-12 years from vintage (another 5-7 years).

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
nealkb wrote:Aren't you guys roomates? I have a mixed case at my friends house. Let me see if I can get that soon, I know there are a couple of zins in there...

Negative ghostwriter... But we do live in close proximity. Just wanted to see if you both wanted 3 bottles each. I am at capacity and know I have a lot of purchases in my future this weekend....

EDIT: Nevermind, just realized it was 3 different wines. Getting one doesn't make sense. Teaches me to jump the gun. Please carry on.

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

With all the 'splitting' requests on this thread, perhaps in the future this should be a three bottle offering?

Those that want more can always increase quantity. WW may underestimate the storage concerns of many loyal Wooters.

boatman72

SonomaBouliste wrote:Concerns about short supply fueled by smaller California harvests in 2010 and 2011 along with a disastrous (at least in terms of quantity) 2012 in most of the major European wine producing countries have been allevited to some extent by the largest harvest in California history in 2012. Increase in the price of grapes and other costs have put wineries in a bind between maintaining affordable prices and being profitable. Even Twobuckchuck is now twofortyninechuck.

Not sure if you saw my comment...SB - Any recommendations on storage life for the 2008?

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii
boatman72 wrote:Not sure if you saw my comment...SB - Any recommendations on storage life for the 2008?

SonomaBouliste wrote:Sonoma Valley and Meeks Hilltop now to 2-3 more years. Estate Vineyard up to 10-12 years from vintage (another 5-7 years).

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
hillig wrote:With all the 'splitting' requests on this thread, perhaps in the future this should be a three bottle offering?

Those that want more can always increase quantity. WW may underestimate the storage concerns of many loyal Wooters.

From what I understand, the bottles are packaged in sets to allow a certain amount of profit margin. It is obviously going to cost more than $5 to ship 6 bottles across the country, so the profit from selling the bottles has to cover the shipping cost and the profit distribution to both the winery and w.w. 3 bottles of this extremely well priced juice may not have made the cut.

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
boatman72 wrote:Not sure if you saw my comment...SB - Any recommendations on storage life for the 2008?

Look up like 2 posts^^^

Sonoma Valley and Meeks Hilltop now to 2-3 more years. Estate Vineyard up to 10-12 years from vintage (another 5-7 years).

Neal K Bharadwaj

boatman72

Sorry for the duplication - My browser wasn't refreshed. Your wine is an Auto Buy. In for one to go along with the many bottles of Wellington in the basement. Great company needs more great company! Now for the button.....

Cyradia

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Cyradia
TrevynPaige wrote:Let's not forget some Ty Caton!

Yeah, I love Ty...I just can't get on board with his price creep up. I've passed on several of the last offerings because it's good...it's just not two and three times as good as a lot of my other favorites.

coynedj wrote:I actually still have one last bottle of the Block 13. Probably held it longer than I should have, but it was hard to envision drinking my last one!

Same boat! I have one bottle of Block 13 that's probably way past prime but I can't bring myself to open it.

boatman72

I was wondering why I didn't see any other comments and the offering wasn't moving very fast. Almost missed out on this one...whew.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
klezman wrote:These are awesome. If you like the less bombastic style of Zin, Peter has you covered. Too bad SIWBM must stand. I've thoroughly enjoyed prior vintages of all three of these in the past, although the Estate is my clear favourite.

Great stuff! Give them air, and best with food! These, the Haywood, Rasmussen, 1869 and de Arie are the fine Zins you will see around here.
And if you want silly Big Zin, get the Redemption from the Sin Zin peeps!