North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
PemberDucky wrote:off-topic posts get deleted.

whether or not you like a genre of television is utterly irrelevant.

Actually, it's not irrelevant to him. If a wine sold here was owned or produced by current or former member of the Yankees (a team I despise), I would not purchase it. Is that any different? Nope. Is it relevant to me? Yup. If a post it not offensive, it should not be deleted. Period. It has been happening a lot more around here and just another thing I do not care for.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

For those curious about such things, here's a Wine Enthusiast article that discusses "The Bachelor" connection.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Oh pfffft. Settle down, peeps. It was one post.

Welcome, Ben!

Tell us how you came to be in the biz, please.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ThunderThighs wrote:Oh pfffft. Settle down, peeps. It was one post.

Welcome, Ben!

Tell us how you came to be in the biz, please.

And tell us about the MLF wrt the chard!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
benflajnik wrote:Hi there! As far as I remember the brix were around 23/23.5 when we picked. We pick a tad earlier to lock in the bright acid.

Again, please help me here. In my book a pH of 3.91 and TA of 5.3% is far from enamel etching bright acid; unless these are just incorrect (typo) numbers.

CT

benflajnik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benflajnik
cortot20 wrote:The red seems interesting.
The chard is typically a pass for me but your answer to Kyle's question may temp me and the SB sounds like it would scrape the enamel right off my teeth. Is it in the grapefruit bomb style of NZ (and everywhere else now)or is it a more subdued SB that we might have had from California about 10 years ago? Thanks in advance for the answers and commentary, you'll find that Biodynamic is a bad word around these parts but honesty and humor will go along way to selling some wine and being brought back here for future offers.

Your season of the bachelorette was the only one I have ever seen. I wont comment on whether I enjoyed it or not.

The SB is nicely balanced and is not like a NZ style. With low yields from the organic block we farm, you get more lemon/lime zest than anything. I really think this wine has hit its stride and is a great value for what you get inside the bottle.

kylemittskus

Ok. I've waffled back and forth, wondering if I should post this or even if anyone is still around to read it. I obviously decided to do so and I will try to be entirely constructive.

This thread is one of the few we've had that could, and perhaps should, serve as an example of exactly what not to do for new wineries who join us. And I, and I think I'm safe in saying "we," certainly appreciate winery participation. Perhaps new wineries should be given this thread along with the thread with the rep "becausehelovesus."

I think that some wine reps underestimate the education level of this community. For the most part, we are not swayed -- and are often dissuaded from buying -- by back-of-the-bottle blurbs and non-answers to direct questions. I think I can comfortably say that this winery has lost some purchases -- cortot was waiting for the MLF answer before buying -- because of the non-answers and marketing blurbs in place of specific answers to specific questions. In this thread, even the mods tried to get some conversation going (asking how the wine rep got started in the business). I know that some of us can come off as a bit acerbic, but really, we just want to know what we're buying. And we care more about real information and less about marketing hype-type things like "we're certified organic; isn't that good enough." In short, it's not.

Sorry for my lack of brevity, but I really like this community, and part of the greatness of wine.woot is discovering new wineries. When a new winery shows poorly, no one gets anything positive. Today, I'm disappointed.

*It is possible that the winery rep was really busy today, but I doubt it as he answered some questions, albeit vaguely, and completely ignored other ones.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

This is what wineries should strive for! I didn't plan on buying, but the winery participation (the tasting notes also helped) pushed me over the edge and into buying.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
otolith wrote:This is what wineries should strive for! I didn't plan on buying, but the winery participation (the tasting notes also helped) pushed me over the edge and into buying.

Agree that's exemplary, but not entirely a fair comparison as there were non-rat-reports for that offering. I'm thinking more like the first couple Meeker offerings. No rats, no information, just a winemaker armed with tons of knowledge and eager to share and converse.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:Agree that's exemplary, but not entirely a fair comparison as there were non-rat-reports for that offering. I'm thinking more like the first couple Meeker offerings. No rats, no information, just a winemaker armed with tons of knowledge and eager to share and converse.

Larry always does a fantastic job and there were no rats last offering.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
otolith wrote:This is what wineries should strive for! I didn't plan on buying, but the winery participation (the tasting notes also helped) pushed me over the edge and into buying.

No one was better than Sake Guy, especially the first time around.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
klezman wrote:Agree that's exemplary, but not entirely a fair comparison as there were non-rat-reports for that offering. I'm thinking more like the first couple Meeker offerings. No rats, no information, just a winemaker armed with tons of knowledge and eager to share and converse.

True, and I will admit I was swayed by rats, too. But winery participation wins out for me, and I really like what they posted.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
otolith wrote:True, and I will admit I was swayed by rats, too. But winery participation wins out for me, and I really like what they posted.

I'm with you. While it was hard to tell who was posting what since I think they shared the same posting account, I found them to be engaging, informative and witty. I almost pulled the trigger just because of their participation.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Absolutely agree, and purchased.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

I think Ben was on here trying o do the ight thing but was overwhelmed by the technical questions. He obviously had a cheat sheet rhat did not nicipate such questions. While I completely undertand his situation I would respect him more if he were honest and acknowledge he oes not know the answer as oppossed o ignoring questions and promoting like a sleek salesman. I do not doubt he is a nice guy so take it as a learning eperience.

Edit:Ipad to blame for all typos except sleek. Slick is the word!

"The older I get the better I was"

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Mods- please try not to delete this much of a thread in the future. I mean, I'm guessing you deleted most of it, because what's left makes no sense

I don't know what actually got discussed or not, but to speculate on the wierd numbers for the SB- perhaps there was a lot of rain before harvest so while the fruit was very phenolicly ripe, it was also water logged?

EDIT:ZOMG WD! You let someone bring voodoo-doodoo (BioD) wine with them to their first appearance on Wine.Woot?! What did Ben ever do to you?! ;)

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Volunteer Moderator

mother wrote:Mods- please try not to delete this much of a thread in the future. I mean, I'm guessing you deleted most of it, because what's left makes no sense

I don't know what actually got discussed or not, but to speculate on the wierd numbers for the SB- perhaps there was a lot of rain before harvest so while the fruit was very phenolicly ripe, it was also water logged?

EDIT:ZOMG WD! You let someone bring voodoo-doodoo (BioD) wine with them to their first appearance on Wine.Woot?! What did Ben ever do to you?! ;)

I'm not sure many posts got nuked, but I've heard that ones that did were warranted. People were getting off the topic of today's offering and just ranting lol

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Ok. I've waffled back and forth, wondering if I should post this or even if anyone is still around to read it. I obviously decided to do so and I will try to be entirely constructive.

This thread is one of the few we've had that could, and perhaps should, serve as an example of exactly what not to do for new wineries who join us. And I, and I think I'm safe in saying "we," certainly appreciate winery participation. Perhaps new wineries should be given this thread along with the thread with the rep "becausehelovesus."

I think that some wine reps underestimate the education level of this community. For the most part, we are not swayed -- and are often dissuaded from buying -- by back-of-the-bottle blurbs and non-answers to direct questions. I think I can comfortably say that this winery has lost some purchases -- cortot was waiting for the MLF answer before buying -- because of the non-answers and marketing blurbs in place of specific answers to specific questions. In this thread, even the mods tried to get some conversation going (asking how the wine rep got started in the business). I know that some of us can come off as a bit acerbic, but really, we just want to know what we're buying. And we care more about real information and less about marketing hype-type things like "we're certified organic; isn't that good enough." In short, it's not.

Sorry for my lack of brevity, but I really like this community, and part of the greatness of wine.woot is discovering new wineries. When a new winery shows poorly, no one gets anything positive. Today, I'm disappointed.

*It is possible that the winery rep was really busy today, but I doubt it as he answered some questions, albeit vaguely, and completely ignored other ones.

I checked out of this thread when he answered my question without answering kyle's. it seemed like a pretty simple question, and one that gets asked anytime a chard is sold here.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

He obviously wasn't expecting such an inquisitive bunch for $13 wines.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mother wrote:Mods- please try not to delete this much of a thread in the future. I mean, I'm guessing you deleted most of it, because what's left makes no sense

One was deleted that said I hate reality TV.

All the others were saying stop deleting posts.

That's all.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:He obviously wasn't expecting such an inquisitive bunch for $13 wines.

We asked about acid and MLF. That's pretty mild for us.