2010 Epilogue North Coast Chardonnay
2010 Epilogue Red Blend, California Bordeaux Blend
2011 Epilogue Sauvignon Blanc
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

I need some help understanding the SB.
How can this be "harvested in the middle of the night, because the cooler temperatures lock in essential acidity and phenols" and have such a high pH of 3.91 and TA of 5.3% with such a low ABV of 13.1%? What was the brix at harvest? The numbers and description just don't seem to match.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Possible explanation; the grapes wouldn't fully ripen so they were picked in the dead of night in order to eke out an extra 0.1-0.2 TA. 2010 was a tough year.

lichme

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages lichme
rjquillin wrote:I need some help understanding the SB.
How can this be "harvested in the middle of the night, because the cooler temperatures lock in essential acidity and phenols" and have such a high pH of 3.91 and TA of 5.3% with such a low ABV of 13.1%? What was the brix at harvest? The numbers and description just don't seem to match.

I didn't know wine was so complicated. That's why I am so afraid of it.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Possible explanation; the grapes wouldn't fully ripen so they were picked in the dead of night in order to eke out an extra 0.1-0.2 TA. 2010 was a tough year.

But unripe fruit, I thought, should suggest much higher TA and/or lower pH...
Hopefully we'll get some winemaker comments.

CT

wleev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wleev

What is SB?

rjquillin

wleev wrote:What is SB?

Welcome!
Sauvignon Blanc

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:But unripe fruit, I thought, should suggest much higher TA and/or lower pH...
Hopefully we'll get some winemaker comments.

I've probably got it all screwed around but I thought that less ripe = lower brix = less acid and higher pH.

wleev

rjquillin wrote:Sauvignon Blanc

uh... duh... thx.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:I've probably got it all screwed around but I thought that less ripe = lower brix = less acid and higher pH.

Agree on the first two, less ripe, lower sugars, lower brix. From wiki: As the grapes go through veraison, sugars in the grapes will continue to rise as acid levels fall.

CT

wleev

rjquillin wrote:Welcome!
Sauvignon Blanc

thx

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Agree on the first two, less ripe, lower sugars, lower brix. From wiki: As the grapes go through veraison, sugars in the grapes will continue to rise as acid levels fall.

Right, lower brix = less sugar/lower alcohol, not less acid. My bad. I knew that I didn't know. Hah!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

i like these folks. Earnest winemakers and business folk not too caught up in all the madness surrounding them.

leaders of the next generation in the wine industry, IMHO.

Welcome Envolve Winery.

djlund999

quality posts: 3 Private Messages djlund999

Re the Bordeaux blend - I see the spec comments about 'crafted with tine old world in mind'. style', but no mention of mineral, earthiness, tar, tobacco, cedar or cigar box. Is this still a california style meritage?

(I have had little exposure to Mendocino, and that has been via sauv blanc or zinfandel, but not any cab-family fruit).

cdthomas9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdthomas9

How come this offer can't be shipped to Maryland? I've ordered wine from here before with no problem, but not this specific deal?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cdthomas9 wrote:How come this offer can't be shipped to Maryland? I've ordered wine from here before with no problem, but not this specific deal?

Your answer is right in the second post....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim
North316 wrote:Your answer is right in the second post....

Every day too.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
lichme wrote:I didn't know wine was so complicated. That's why I am so afraid of it.

Lichme, hang out here 1/10 of the time you do at deals, ask questions, and read. There's a ton of valuable, informative, possibly snarky, information around these parts. Wine isn't scary! It's just dynamic.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

Fun fact: this winery is co-owned (I think) by Ben from last season of The Bachelor. If he's not co-owner, he is somehow attached to it closely.

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1
kylemittskus wrote:Fun fact: this winery is co-owned (I think) by Ben from last season of The Bachelor. If he's not co-owner, he is somehow attached to it closely.

Well that should get our lady Wooters on board post haste I think!! SHMBO might not blow a cork if I bought this one as she is going to be when the Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin gets delivered in the next cople of days!!!

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
kylemittskus wrote:Lichme, hang out here 1/10 of the time you do at deals, ask questions, and read. There's a ton of valuable, informative, possibly snarky, information around these parts. Wine isn't scary! It's just dynamic.

Umm, biodynamic?

My dogs like me, that is important.

kylemittskus

edlada wrote:Umm, biodynamic?

Mods, can we get probation here, please!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

If sshapiro216 checks in, you have a PM.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Mods, can we get probation here, please!

Probations for all! Step up!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Fun fact: this winery is co-owned (I think) by Ben from last season of The Bachelor. If he's not co-owner, he is somehow attached to it closely.

You may be on to something there.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ThunderThighs wrote:You may be on to something there.

yep, i put the deal together with Ben. good dude. should be showing up here soon.

benflajnik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benflajnik
edlada wrote:Umm, biodynamic?

Hi there! These wines were farmed organically (SB) and sustainably (RD, CH). Our Envolve brand is the biodynamically farmed wines. thanks!

benflajnik

djlund999 wrote:Re the Bordeaux blend - I see the spec comments about 'crafted with tine old world in mind'. style', but no mention of mineral, earthiness, tar, tobacco, cedar or cigar box. Is this still a california style meritage?

(I have had little exposure to Mendocino, and that has been via sauv blanc or zinfandel, but not any cab-family fruit).

The red wine was farmed in paso robles. it's an easy drinking bdx blend with lover alc and good fruit qualities. people always think cherry pie.

kylemittskus

benflajnik wrote:Hi there! These wines were farmed organically (SB) and sustainably (RD, CH). Our Envolve brand is the biodynamically farmed wines. thanks!

You lost me.

benflajnik

Hi there! As far as I remember the brix were around 23/23.5 when we picked. We pick a tad earlier to lock in the bright acid.

benflajnik

Sorry I am late to the forum. If you have any questions I am here to help. Thanks for trying Epilogue wines!

kylemittskus

benflajnik wrote:Hi there! As far as I remember the brix were around 23/23.5 when we picked. We pick a tad earlier to lock in the bright acid.

3.91pH is bright acid? Or is the woot info incorrect?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

benflajnik wrote:Hi there! These wines were farmed organically (SB) and sustainably (RD, CH). Our Envolve brand is the biodynamically farmed wines. thanks!

welcome, ben!
thanks for coming by!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

benflajnik

kylemittskus wrote:3.91pH is bright acid? Or is the woot info incorrect?

The info is correct. Being mendo fruit, fermented in stainless, and picked at 23 brix are all contributors of keeping this wine bright and lively on the palate.

true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559

Only 2 of the six bottles interest me...in for 0.

kylemittskus

Did the Chard undergo MLF? If so, 100% or was it stopped?

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

The red seems interesting.
The chard is typically a pass for me but your answer to Kyle's question may temp me and the SB sounds like it would scrape the enamel right off my teeth. Is it in the grapefruit bomb style of NZ (and everywhere else now)or is it a more subdued SB that we might have had from California about 10 years ago? Thanks in advance for the answers and commentary, you'll find that Biodynamic is a bad word around these parts but honesty and humor will go along way to selling some wine and being brought back here for future offers.

Your season of the bachelorette was the only one I have ever seen. I wont comment on whether I enjoyed it or not.

CT

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

Wow, apparently disliking reality TV is grounds for having posts deleted.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

yorknh wrote:Wow, apparently disliking reality TV is grounds for having posts deleted.

off-topic posts get deleted.

whether or not you like a genre of television is utterly irrelevant.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.