WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What do you do with your empty wine bottles?
  • 66.3% - Recycle them 817
  • 23.2% - Throw them away 286
  • 4.7% - Store other things in them 58
  • 1.4% - Sell them 17
  • 4.4% - Other (comments, please) 54
1232 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

Reuse them when I make more wine

wootgf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootgf

Use them as a vase.

jimmygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmygeek

Wash them, sanitize them, and then make more wine!

Clayton4384

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clayton4384

Bottles? All my wine comes out of a box

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
BlackCreekBearTRP1 wrote:Reuse them when I make more wine

This...

jimmygeek wrote:Wash them, sanitize them, and then make more wine!

And this...

Clayton4384 wrote:Bottles? All my wine comes out of a box

But maybe a tiny bit of this sometimes too ;)

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

kashmirton

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kashmirton

1 in 4 people (at least by 10 a.m. statistics) throw them in the trash... how sad is that.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I used to keep a few, but then realized that they may have cool labels or the like, but they were just sitting in a closet.

So, into the recycle bin they go, with only one exception that I can't get rid of.

But throw them in the trash? No, no, no.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
kashmirton wrote:1 in 4 people (at least by 10 a.m. statistics) throw them in the trash... how sad is that.

Not really sad considering the fact that so many glass bottles that get "recycled" go in the trash anyway. But you can feel good about trying. I heard it's the thought that counts.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:I used to keep a few, but then realized that they may have cool labels or the like, but they were just sitting in a closet.

So, into the recycle bin they go, with only one exception that I can't get rid of.

But throw them in the trash? No, no, no.

Recycle.

So what bottle did you keep? I have a couple I've kept as well (Grange, El Nido).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:Recycle.

So what bottle did you keep? I have a couple I've kept as well (Grange, El Nido).

PM for you

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

Most of mine end up in the recycle bag, wherever that ends up. I do have a little shrine in my home office for very old and VERY special bottles.

My dogs like me, that is important.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
kylemittskus wrote:Not really sad considering the fact that so many glass bottles that get "recycled" go in the trash anyway. But you can feel good about trying. I heard it's the thought that counts.

I know recycling companies usually throw out bottles with stelvin closures because it's such a pain to remove the metal on the neck and they can't be recycled with that still on them. However, I can't imagine that it would be beneficial to throw any other bottles away - can you elaborate?

BTW, I fill my bottles with grape coffee, recork them, and sell them to bums for $1...

EDIT: woot filters change "Cool-Aid" to "coffee", nice!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

kylemittskus

jhkey wrote:I know recycling companies usually throw out bottles with stelvin closures because it's such a pain to remove the metal on the neck and they can't be recycled with that still on them. However, I can't imagine that it would be beneficial to throw any other bottles away - can you elaborate?

I read somewhere -- I'm sure I could find it again if I went digging -- that a large number of bottles, both glass and plastic, go unrecycled because there are so many that people try to recycle, the processing plants can't keep up or it's not monetarily beneficial to do so.

johnnymercer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnymercer

Put them in a disturbingly huge pile of old wine bottles outside my back door.

jhkey

kylemittskus wrote:I read somewhere -- I'm sure I could find it again if I went digging -- that a large number of bottles, both glass and plastic, go unrecycled because there are so many that people try to recycle, the processing plants can't keep up or it's not monetarily beneficial to do so.

Interesting. You've piqued my interest, I'll do some digging.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

kylemittskus

jhkey wrote:Interesting. You've peaked my interest, I'll do some digging.

IIRC, wine bottles in particular are largely not recycled. In CA, for example, they are worth $0 for trade-in.

jhkey

kylemittskus wrote:IIRC, wine bottles in particular are largely not recycled. In CA, for example, they are worth $0 for trade-in.

Can you provide a reference on this point? It just doesn't make financial sense for recycling companies to spend the money picking up wine bottles (and the relatively heavy weight and bulk to transport them) if they weren't recycling them. They could just as easily ban them the way many ban steel cans or certain types of plastic.

- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

kylemittskus

jhkey wrote:Can you provide a reference on this point? It just doesn't make financial sense for recycling companies to spend the money picking up wine bottles (and the relatively heavy weight and bulk to transport them) if they weren't recycling them. They could just as easily ban them the way many ban steel cans or certain types of plastic.

Consumers pay California Redemption Value (CRV) when they purchase beverages from a retailer, and receive CRV refunds when they redeem the containers at a recycling center. Most beverages packaged in aluminum, glass, plastic and bi-metal containers are eligible for CRV. Notable exceptions are milk, wine and distilled spirits, which are not included in the CRV program.

The point of the CRV is to incentivize recycling. They don't care enough about wine bottles to include them in the CRV program. No reason is cited on the website.

jhkey

kylemittskus wrote:The point of the CRV is to incentivize recycling. They don't care enough about wine bottles to include them in the CRV program. No reason is cited on the website.

But that doesn't mean that they are not recycled, it only means that the government didn't think it was worthwhile to include them in the program. I don't know about CA, but everywhere I have lived has had curbside recycling pickup, just like garbage. You don't get any money back for your collected items, but they are still recycled.

- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:IIRC, wine bottles in particular are largely not recycled. In CA, for example, they are worth $0 for trade-in.

Some recyclers will accept them and pay-by-weight if an ~equal~ weight of CRV bottles (beer, soda) are included. Otherwise they just take them for nothing. Doesn't seem right...

CT

jhkey

rjquillin wrote:Some recyclers will accept them and pay-by-weight if an ~equal~ weight of CRV bottles (beer, soda) are included. Otherwise they just take them for nothing. Doesn't seem right...

But they still take them and recycle them. That was my only point. Wine bottles are recycled, but it sounds like people (in CA) are not paid to recycle them, they must choose to do it for other altruistic reasons...

Hey, here in the South we don't have any deposit or CRV programs. Any and all recycling we do is purely to reduce the consumption of natural resources.

- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

cmags17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmags17

My sister is making a chandelier out of them.

goddess8681

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goddess8681
cmags17 wrote:My sister is making a chandelier out of them.

I'm quite shocked you're the only one who has mentioned making them into something else. I'm saving my up to do the same thing, as well as some glass cutting to make interesting vase/glasses/candle holders! Found a lot of great things through Pinterest.

linshaff01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linshaff01
kashmirton wrote:1 in 4 people (at least by 10 a.m. statistics) throw them in the trash... how sad is that.

I guess I'm surprised that are people who aren't recycling. We've been doing it here in Michigan for at least 15 years!

linshaff01

linshaff01 wrote:I guess I'm surprised that are people who aren't recycling. We've been doing it here in Michigan for at least 15 years!

Sorry! "that there are people....."

linshaff01

goddess8681 wrote:I'm quite shocked you're the only one who has mentioned making them into something else. I'm saving my up to do the same thing, as well as some glass cutting to make interesting vase/glasses/candle holders! Found a lot of great things through Pinterest.

Pinterest is great. Re-purposing is even better than recycling!

bigyoda20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigyoda20

Shoot them!

all1n

quality posts: 1 Private Messages all1n

I sell them for $6-8/doz.

dingorock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dingorock

I turn them into drinking glasses...pretty simple to do and kinda nifty.

RomeoJN

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RomeoJN

Use them for target practice!

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

I put a candle in them and then melt my little sisters crayons on them so it drips down the side.......Sorry, I had a flash back to 1976.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
jhkey wrote:But they still take them and recycle them. That was my only point. Wine bottles are recycled, but it sounds like people (in CA) are not paid to recycle them, they must choose to do it for other altruistic reasons...

Correct, not paid a redemption value.
I'm rather worried about some of the comments here about "saving". I have enough trouble finding space for those I purchase to consume, but to retain and find space for the empties...

Unless of course something like this is your plan

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

I happily throw them away. Except for notable bottles, those go in the hall of fame.

CT

gostarkygo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gostarkygo

I live in southern California and we have curb side recycling and when the glass component gets to the transfer/sorting center it is diverted to the regular trash side of the system. They currently have no customers buying the glass.

Face76

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Face76

Same here.

spacemart

quality posts: 15 Private Messages spacemart
jhkey wrote:I know recycling companies usually throw out bottles with stelvin closures because it's such a pain to remove the metal on the neck and they can't be recycled with that still on them. However, I can't imagine that it would be beneficial to throw any other bottles away - can you elaborate?

BTW, I fill my bottles with grape coffee, recork them, and sell them to bums for $1...

EDIT: woot filters change "Cool-Aid" to "coffee", nice!

lol!
but if you're not kidding you're a pencil

greyday

quality posts: 54 Private Messages greyday

This.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

500ml and 375ml are saved and used to store wine for the next day.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill