Ty Caton Sonoma Valley Ballfield Syrah 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $131.20) 54% off List Price
2010 Ty Caton Ballfield Syrah, Sonoma Valley Caton Vineyard
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Mill is in for 6. Dang. Pressure is on now to buy this. I trust Mill and his buying instincts or knowledge.

todd999430

quality posts: 4 Private Messages todd999430

Easy purchase for 6. I love Ty Caton. I belong to their Cab Collection wine club. I visit their tasting room at least twice a year.

And one of my favorites every year is the BF Syrah.

It's wonderful, ages decently well, and is very well made. Can't go wrong.

dgriff80

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dgriff80

I am a huge fan of this particular Syrah, as well as "Ty's red" I have gotten here on woot. Highly recommend.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I logged in just to say that Ty Caton makes some ~amazing~ juice. It's almost always an insta-buy for me but unfortunately I have to skip this time. Just spent 60 bucks on that orange crusher offered last week.

Also, Nice little tribute to ty in the writeup

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

I'm definitely in for 1. Someone would have to sell me on it to go in for 2.

The description says implies silky mouthfeel. I like big syrah's usually described as chewy or velvety.

(I'm a student and 20 bucks a bottle has to be very good to be worth it)

szecsei

quality posts: 9 Private Messages szecsei

what is the drinking window on this wine? is it too young to open now?

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox
szecsei wrote:what is the drinking window on this wine? is it too young to open now?

Seems to be between this year and 2018 according to Cellar Tracker's gang.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Auto-Buy for me! Even cheaper than the wine club, and I should know, being in it.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

A Ty 3-pack was my very first Woot. Today, this Ty 3-pack was my 100th Woot, allowing me to join the ever popular Black Square Club. All is right in the universe...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

billyum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyum

In 4 2, ordered from nicu. Now I see why its important to be up at 2:30am.
Only have 1 previous Ty purchase, enjoyed thoroughly.

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
billyum wrote:In 4 2, ordered from nicu. Now I see why its important to be up at 2:30am.
Only have 1 previous Ty purchase, enjoyed thoroughly.

Umm, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but if you're in the NICU, you're a bit young to be drinking wine. :-)

pinotfile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinotfile

15.3% alc.? I wonder how hot it tastes.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nmachen wrote:A Ty 3-pack was my very first Woot. Today, this Ty 3-pack was my 100th Woot, allowing me to join the ever popular Black Square Club. All is right in the universe...

CONGRATS! And thank you!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
toonvox wrote:Seems to be between this year and 2018 according to Cellar Tracker's gang.

In general, I would take those windows with a grain of salt. Although in this case I do think it will age well. I believe we had a 2001 at the rpm tour dinner this year and it was still drinking very well.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bigbear83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigbear83

I'm struggling with this one. I have yet to grace the cellar racks with an offering from Ty (and each and every time I why I haven't pulled the trigger). As a huge Syrah fan, I might just have to give this one a shot.

jjbirt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjbirt

I wanted to buy one for me and one for a gift to my sister. I am in FL and my sister in NY. Since I couldn't figure out how to BUY 2 and send 1 to her and 1 to me...I had to just buy 1 for her. Can I still buy one for me??

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
jjbirt wrote:I wanted to buy one for me and one for a gift to my sister. I am in FL and my sister in NY. Since I couldn't figure out how to BUY 2 and send 1 to her and 1 to me...I had to just buy 1 for her. Can I still buy one for me??

Yes , just go through the purchase process again. You will be able to purchase a second 3 pack and ship it to a different address. You will get free shipping on the 2nd order.

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

Looks like a solid deal. It's cheaper than the previous offerings on 12/5/2011 and 8/21/2012. If I wasn't currently so flush with syrah I would be all over this.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

In the past couple of weeks, we had a 2004 Ty Caton Syrah. I don't think I put up tasting notes. It was still very nice. Good fruit and a nice balance. Full bodied. Not designated as ballfield, so may be a different source, but same winemaker. And it was aging well, with time to go.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bigbear83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigbear83

Does anyone have tasting notes?

megsailor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megsailor

Love Ty Caton wines! In for at least one.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
jhkey wrote:In general, I would take those windows with a grain of salt. Although in this case I do think it will age well. I believe we had a 2001 at the rpm tour dinner this year and it was still drinking very well.

That was his 2001 Merlot, at the party, and it's drinking well.

CT

jjbirt

tdedek wrote:Yes , just go through the purchase process again. You will be able to purchase a second 3 pack and ship it to a different address. You will get free shipping on the 2nd order.

Thanks...I thought there was a one purchase/day limit, but this worked exactly as you said it would!!

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
pinotfile wrote:15.3% alc.? I wonder how hot it tastes.

Ty Caton's wines are always very balanced. I've never felt like one has been really hot, even given their higher alc %. Honestly, I think that he just reports them accurately, while some places fudge them as much as possible.

IMO the syrahs from Ty Caton drink well right away. I'd be much more likely to drink these now than the cabs or his other wines.

CT

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
rjquillin wrote:That was his 2001 Merlot, at the party, and it's drinking well.

Thanks for the correction! I got the year right

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
jjbirt wrote:Thanks...I thought there was a one purchase/day limit, but this worked exactly as you said it would!!

There was before the all-you-can-ship option appeared. I don't think the ability to order more than once was ever advertised, almost seems like a side-effect but a convenient one which I have taken advantage of several times already.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

nmachen wrote:A Ty 3-pack was my very first Woot. Today, this Ty 3-pack was my 100th Woot, allowing me to join the ever popular Black Square Club. All is right in the universe...

Very cool indeed. nice!

jjbirt

chipgreen wrote:There was before the all-you-can-ship option appeared. I don't think the ability to order more than once was ever advertised, almost seems like a side-effect but a convenient one which I have taken advantage of several times already.

Until now, the thought that I couldn't go back and place another order has kept my spending down... I'm going to have to warn my credit card company that multiple purchases at wine.woot will be acceptable, and are not to be treated as fraud alerts! lol

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton

[quote postid="5342760" user="nmachen"]A Ty 3-pack was my very first Woot. Today, this Ty 3-pack was my 100th Woot, allowing me to join the ever popular Black Square Club. All is right in the universe...
Very cool it worked out this way, you know I planned it!

/tycaton/

TyCaton

pinotfile wrote:15.3% alc.? I wonder how hot it tastes.

Actually, not hot at all, it's very balanced (in my humble opinion)

/tycaton/

TyCaton

polarbear22 wrote:In the past couple of weeks, we had a 2004 Ty Caton Syrah. I don't think I put up tasting notes. It was still very nice. Good fruit and a nice balance. Full bodied. Not designated as ballfield, so may be a different source, but same winemaker. And it was aging well, with time to go.

Ah, the 2004, same vineyard, just hadn't called it Ball Field yet.

/tycaton/

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Hey Ty's here!
I was at my parents house last weekend and noticed my mom had framed a family picture taken during your 2011 barrel tasting. And then I realized I had handed the camera to you to take the picture, so thanks for being a gracious host and taking frame worthy picture of the fam. at your own event.

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
ckeilah wrote:Sold out already?? Seriously? How many cases were there, three??

Oh well, que syrah non sera.

no some folks bought twice the limit (18 total)

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

You snooze you loose! A month ago I saw the Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin up, and based on previous comments I didn't wait to take advantage of the offer. Later that day I saw it sold out....so glad I didn't miss it.
Today I see the Ty Caton offering, thought about it, and decided to come back later to read more of the posts. My bad....saved $, but no wine!

TyCaton

cortot20 wrote:Hey Ty's here!
I was at my parents house last weekend and noticed my mom had framed a family picture taken during your 2011 barrel tasting. And then I realized I had handed the camera to you to take the picture, so thanks for being a gracious host and taking frame worthy picture of the fam. at your own event.

Can you send me the pic? Hope your family is doing well.

/tycaton/

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry about the problem with the sale. It's been restarted. And thank you, TY, for coming through.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Thanks Ty for adding more, I just Jumped on this based on the reviews..Yay

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry about the problem with the sale. It's been restarted.

Still wasn't necessary to delete people's posts!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013