laguar1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laguar1
chipgreen wrote:Any updates for the MAYBE list?

MAYBE:
p2002
jdcamp
jdcamp's +1
boatman72
laguar1 (John)
laguar1's +1 (Meghan)

Move laguar1 and +1 into the going list. Not many spots remaining according to the Inn.

chipgreen

quality posts: 201 Private Messages chipgreen
laguar1 wrote:Move laguar1 and +1 into the going list. Not many spots remaining according to the Inn.

Done! Look forward to seeing you again.

I put word in with Neil to see if wine.woot would like us to sample some upcoming wines while we're all together but if not we are still in good shape. I have way too much wine and am looking forward to an opportunity like this to go through some bottles.

I've noticed that the Cali wooters have been having a number of "aged" wine parties lately so thought I would jump on that bandwagon and bring some of the aged wines I've gotten from woot in recent months such as the '96 Foppiano Petite Sirah, '97 Ardente Cab and '03 McClean Syrah to name a few.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:I've noticed that the Cali wooters have been having a number of "aged" wine parties lately so thought I would jump on that bandwagon and bring some of the aged wines I've gotten from woot in recent months such as the '96 Foppiano Petite Sirah, '97 Ardente Cab and '03 McClean Syrah to name a few.

I have one bottle left of '91 Michel-Schlumberger Cab and a '96 Burgess Cab that I could bring along. The M–S was still drinking quite nicely not long ago, if a wee bit past its prime. The last Burgess we opened was terrific. Their wines are built to last.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:I have one bottle left of '91 Michel-Schlumberger Cab and a '96 Burgess Cab that I could bring along. The M–S was still drinking quite nicely not long ago, if a wee bit past its prime. The last Burgess we opened was terrific. Their wines are built to last.

Sounds great! I got a PM from a fellow wooter who has gone to 3 of the last 4 Scott Harvey dinners in Wooster and I guess sat next to you and bahwm 2 years ago. He has a group of 8-10 coming so our party just got bigger! Hopefully he will pop in here to say hello...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:Sounds great! I got a PM from a fellow wooter who has gone to 3 of the last 4 Scott Harvey dinners in Wooster and I guess sat next to you and bahwm 2 years ago. He has a group of 8-10 coming so our party just got bigger! Hopefully he will pop in here to say hello...

Sounds like we need to inquire about getting one of those side-rooms for an after party, party.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ddeuddeg

chipgreen wrote:Sounds great! I got a PM from a fellow wooter who has gone to 3 of the last 4 Scott Harvey dinners in Wooster and I guess sat next to you and bahwm 2 years ago. He has a group of 8-10 coming so our party just got bigger! Hopefully he will pop in here to say hello...

Sounds like Mike. With a group of 16 already, adding another 8–10 makes it a bit unwieldy for seating in that room, but that's no big deal. We can have a nice time getting better acquainted afterwards.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

chipgreen

I'll look into securing one of the side rooms (for after-dinner tasting, not dinner itself). Not everyone will be staying after dinner to taste additional wines but we will probably have at least a dozen.

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo
chipgreen wrote:I'll look into securing one of the side rooms (for after-dinner tasting, not dinner itself). Not everyone will be staying after dinner to taste additional wines but we will probably have at least a dozen.

Sounds like it's gonna be a party!

I'm gonna have to decide what to bring from our mini-cellar...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

ddeuddeg

chipgreen wrote:Awesome, look forward to seeing you both again and thanks for showing me how to set up one of these event threads last year, and also for wootlegging some orange wine!

Bit of consternation on the orange wine here. Remembered your asking about it, but couldn't find any PM giving you a shipping address, nor could I find the wine anywhere. Turns out LW had handled the transaction for you, I actually picked up the wine at FedEx, but forgot it came with a Don Sebastiani return address. Under control now. Will deliver it safely in less than 3 weeks.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

I am in assuming seating left w the WW folk when I call today.

chipgreen

Daystar wrote:I am in assuming seating left w the WW folk when I call today.

Great! If there are any spots left it shouldn't be a problem to get seated with us. If there are no spots left I would suggest asking to be placed on a waiting list since they call everyone approximately a week beforehand to confirm reservations and chances are that at least a few people will drop out. I think they take 75 reservations in total for the event.

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:Bit of consternation on the orange wine here. Remembered your asking about it, but couldn't find any PM giving you a shipping address, nor could I find the wine anywhere. Turns out LW had handled the transaction for you, I actually picked up the wine at FedEx, but forgot it came with a Don Sebastiani return address. Under control now. Will deliver it safely in less than 3 weeks.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

sdilullo

I just realized we'll have at least 1/4 of the WW Fantasy Baseball managers in attendance... not sure what that means but hey, random fact of the day!

my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

chipgreen

sdilullo wrote:I just realized we'll have at least 1/4 of the WW Fantasy Baseball managers in attendance... not sure what that means but hey, random fact of the day!

I'll give you CJ Wilson and a bottle of InZinerator for Gio Gonzalez.

sdilullo

chipgreen wrote:I'll give you CJ Wilson and a bottle of InZinerator for Gio Gonzalez.

Heh... have you seen how my All-All-Star pitching lineup has been producing in Week 1?

I need all the help I can get!

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Looking forward to Friday!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote:I have one bottle left of '91 Michel-Schlumberger Cab and a '96 Burgess Cab that I could bring along. The M–S was still drinking quite nicely not long ago, if a wee bit past its prime. The last Burgess we opened was terrific. Their wines are built to last.

I also turned up an '01 Pedroncelli Mother Clone. I'll enjoy sharing that.

ddeuddeg

chipgreen

yay, countdown is on!

ddeuddeg

North316

Did anyone check on availability of a side-room for an afterparty? We probably need to consider this, as well as the need for glasses for such an event, since we have so many people.

As for wine, no idea what I will be bringing yet, but I may bring some sort of dessert wine to help cap off the evening.

My CT

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:Did anyone check on availability of a side-room for an afterparty? We probably need to consider this, as well as the need for glasses for such an event, since we have so many people.

As for wine, no idea what I will be bringing yet, but I may bring some sort of dessert wine to help cap off the evening.

We'll probably bring our Govino glasses for later. I think chipgreen was checking on the side room.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Did anyone check on availability of a side-room for an afterparty? We probably need to consider this, as well as the need for glasses for such an event, since we have so many people.

Perhaps I am over-thinking this but here are my thoughts regarding a side-room...

There are 3 of them IIRC so availability shouldn't be an issue but I'm a little concerned that if I call and talk to a desk clerk they are not going to have the authority to say it's ok or there is also the possibility that they will try to rent the room to us for an additional fee.

Last year it was a no-brainer because Todd (the enologist) is friends with Ken (the owner) and wanted to share his wines with Scott. Todd seemed to have the run of the place but I don't know if he will be in attendance again this year. I located his contact info and just sent him an email inviting him to join us for tasting after dinner.

I previously contacted Scott & Jana to ask if they will be able to join us for additional after-dinner tasting. Although they did not provide a definitive answer, they said that they look forward to seeing us again and said thank you for bringing some special wines. That seems to imply that they will take part but it was a much more ambiguous answer than I had hoped.

Hopefully I will hear something back from Todd Steiner by this time tomorrow. If he is there and tasting with us, we practically own the place.

Even if he's not there, as long as Scott & Jana join us, I don't see how Ken could say no to a side-room request and even without them or Todd it would probably be preferable (for the Inn) to put us in a side-room vs. having a dozen people in somebody's room drinking and getting loud with other guests on either side.

So, I was mostly going with the spontaneous after-dinner adjournment to a side-room with one or more VIPs angle that worked so well last year vs. the call Wooster Inn and hope to talk to the right person angle. Does that make sense?

As for glasses, we can just use our wine glasses from dinner like last year. Of course, if we are relegated to tasting in one of our own rooms, that changes things.

sdilullo

FYI...

Just called to confirm our reservation (did you all get a voicemail on Sunday from the Inn about that like I did?) and they seemed to not be very clear about what the "Wine Woot" group was.

Lady I spoke with was hoping to get a list of names of who all's in the group. Unfortunately, I only know screennames on here! So since you're the leader, Dave, perhaps you could gather those and give them a call?

My wife and I are Gina and Steve, respectively.

Also, she asked if I knew how many (I didn't have this thread up when she asked) and I told her I thought maybe 12, but said I was just guessing and could be wrong. Obviously I see it's at least 16, per the list in the OP.

chipgreen

I just called and talked to Doreen and made her count the WW's on the reservation list. It took her a few tries but she did come up with 16 so we should be good.
EDIT: Then she called back and said 14 but asked if laguar1 was part of our group, which I confirmed so we're back to being on the same page with 16. The tables only hold 12 so we are going to be partially split anyway but I mentioned to Doreen about adjoining tables and she said that's probably how it will go down.

North316

chipgreen wrote:I just called and talked to Doreen and made her count the WW's on the reservation list. It took her a few tries but she did come up with 16 so we should be good.
EDIT: Then she called back and said 14 but asked if laguar1 was part of our group, which I confirmed so we're back to being on the same page with 16. The tables only hold 12 so we are going to be partially split anyway but I mentioned to Doreen about adjoining tables and she said that's probably how it will go down.

Do you still have the woot name-tags? Might come in handy I'm thinking, hah.

My CT

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Do you still have the woot name-tags? Might come in handy I'm thinking, hah.

I gave them to rpm on the tour last summer.

sdilullo

chipgreen wrote:I just called and talked to Doreen and made her count the WW's on the reservation list. It took her a few tries but she did come up with 16 so we should be good.

Awesome, thanks!

ddeuddeg

michaelstencel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaelstencel

Large crowd expected. I was at Wooster Inn last Friday, I believe ken said they were planning on serving in two rooms. Only two of the eight of us will be staying overnight. Look forward to meeting and reacquainting wooters.

bahwm

Chip, I remember getting fresh glasses in the side room for the after tasting last year.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

michaelstencel wrote:Large crowd expected. I was at Wooster Inn last Friday, I believe ken said they were planning on serving in two rooms. Only two of the eight of us will be staying overnight. Look forward to meeting and reacquainting wooters.

ddeuddeg & I are looking forward to seeing you again. We will be staying overnight at the WI. We are taking a half day personal day from work so that we will be on time for dinner this year!

sdilullo

bahwm wrote:ddeuddeg & I are looking forward to seeing you again. We will be staying overnight at the WI. We are taking a half day personal day from work so that we will be on time for dinner this year!

We're also staying overnight!

I was thinking about flying up but considering the amount of wine that's gonna be present, I think we'll just drive.

ddeuddeg

bahwm

sdilullo wrote:We're also staying overnight!

I was thinking about flying up but considering the amount of wine that's gonna be present, I think we'll just drive.

Nice! Don't you have family in Rochester or Syracuse?

chipgreen

Heard back from Todd Steiner, unfortunately he has a conflicting engagement and is unable to attend. He expressed his disappointment and mentioned how much he enjoyed sharing his wines with us after dinner last year and said to give his regards to everyone attending.

bahwm

The weather's supposed to be crappy Friday for our drive out: high winds & some rain. Glad we're leaving early to get there.

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:The weather's supposed to be crappy Friday for our drive out: high winds & some rain. Glad we're leaving early to get there.

Too bad the weather seems like it won't hold out, 70 degrees and sunny both yesterday and today. Where is your lesser half (as determined in the pub) to post our 1?

chipgreen

1 is the loneliest number.

sdilullo

Uno!

We're planning on leaving Dayton between 3:30 and 4:00 tomorrow.

bahwm wrote:Nice! Don't you have family in Rochester or Syracuse?

Yup, more than half of my wife's relatives live around Syracuse.

And I work for a company that used to employ lots of people in Rochester...