rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

My Cabot from WB is finally moving, yea.

[this post not worthy of a Sparky, but I'll take it]

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:you had desk to bring?!! if we were lucky, we got to use the back of another student!!! you don't even want to know what we had to use for paper and pencils!!!

You had paper?? We had to use bark from trees. And we had to dip our hands into the hot fire to get charcoal on our fingers to use to write with!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

What is up with a company selling something as "No Sugar Added" when not only do they add sugar, but it's the most unhealthy form of sugar they could get their hands on?

I had almost ordered that before looking at the ingredient list closely...

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
mother wrote:What is up with a company selling something as "No Sugar Added" when not only do they add sugar, but it's the most unhealthy form of sugar they could get their hands on?

I had almost ordered that before looking at the ingredient list closely...

The rep has responded to you in the main thread. This was the first I have heard agave is the most unhealthy form of sugar. I have a friend who is an RN and also type 1 diabetic who uses it.

mother

trifecta wrote:The rep has responded to you in the main thread. This was the first I have heard agave is the most unhealthy form of sugar. I have a friend who is an RN and also type 1 diabetic who uses it.

With no offense to the medical professionals in here, most medical professionals are employees.

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
trifecta wrote:The rep has responded to you in the main thread. This was the first I have heard agave is the most unhealthy form of sugar. I have a friend who is an RN and also type 1 diabetic who uses it.

Its extremely unhealthy, only if you forget to remove the thorns.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and ....

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

Also the benefits for a Type 1 diabetic are seen immediately (less blood sugar spike) but the consequences (high trigs, fatty liver, etc.) appear slowly over long periods of time. So it probably seems like awesome sauce.

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Also the benefits for a Type 1 diabetic are seen immediately (less blood sugar spike) but the consequences (high trigs, fatty liver, etc.) appear slowly over long periods of time. So it probably seems like awesome sauce.

Actually, it probably depends on how much you use it. It does appear that it does get processed by the GI tract and the liver, so the more you use, the more goes to the liver to be processed.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Actually, it probably depends on how much you use it. It does appear that it does get processed by the GI tract and the liver, so the more you use, the more goes to the liver to be processed.

The neat thing is that when you drink alcohol your liver stops processing the fructose until it's done with the alcohol...

So alcohol is good for diabetes in the same way Agave Nectar is ;)

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:The neat thing is that when you drink alcohol your liver stops processing the fructose until it's done with the alcohol...

So alcohol is good for diabetes in the same way Agave Nectar is ;)

It's the glucose that's the concern for diabetics (of which my sister is one), not the fructose.

And to use your own words ...

Super weak argument there man...

Edit: BTW, my sister does drink alcohol (i.e., wine).

trifecta

mother wrote:With no offense to the medical professionals in here, most medical professionals are employees.

And your background and education is in ...? Just curious for future reference. Are you type 1?

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:It's the glucose that's the concern for diabetics (of which my sister is one), not the fructose.

And to use your own words ...

Super weak argument there man...

Edit: BTW, my sister does drink alcohol (i.e., wine).

Mark you're getting confused, I'm sure you (and she) don't really think this.

It's blood glucose levels that we have to monitor, but that is a lot more than just watching glucose intake. And you know that too- try serving your sister a big bowl of pasta, a loaf of nice garlic bread, and some bruschetta. It will raise her blood sugar plenty w/o *any* glucose being in the meal.

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Mark you're getting confused, I'm sure you (and she) don't really think this.

It's blood glucose levels that we have to monitor, but that is a lot more than just watching glucose intake. And you know that too- try serving your sister a big bowl of pasta, a loaf of nice garlic bread, and some bruschetta. It will raise her blood sugar plenty w/o *any* glucose being in the meal.

I keep trying to serve her that!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
MarkDaSpark wrote:You had paper?? We had to use bark from trees. And we had to dip our hands into the hot fire to get charcoal on our fingers to use to write with!

What I really hated was the dirt for lunch. Made the afternoons really drag. Of course, it was better than anything I got at home, so I shouldn't complain too much.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mother

trifecta wrote:And your background and education is in ...? Just curious for future reference. Are you type 1?

Nothing remotely like medicine, but I learn what I need to know, and I learned long ago that "trust but verify" is the way to go when it comes to your own body/health.

trifecta

mother wrote:Nothing remotely like medicine, but I learn what I need to know, and I learned long ago that "trust but verify" is the way to go when it comes to your own body/health.

The key is definitely moderation. It is both important to keep your spikes down and keep your long term intake low. This is true with many things in life. The hard part for Type1 is it is a complete overhaul of how you live.

I agree with you that it shouldn't have been labeled the way it was. Leave that statement off and let the consumer inspect the contents to make their own decision as to whether it works for them. For most that are highly sensitive to the issue they should be doing that anyway. Type 1 only affect ~5% of all diabetes cases, and most others are completely preventable.

mother

trifecta wrote:The key is definitely moderation. It is both important to keep your spikes down and keep your long term intake low. This is true with many things in life. The hard part for Type1 is it is a complete overhaul of how you live.

Actually type 1 is generally easy from that aspect since it's from childhood. You always lived that way so it's normal. However dealing with insulin is a PITA.

Type 2 is the one where all your habits and routine are suddenly verboten.

I agree with you that it shouldn't have been labeled the way it was. Leave that statement off and let the consumer inspect the contents to make their own decision as to whether it works for them. For most that are highly sensitive to the issue they should be doing that anyway. Type 1 only affect ~5% of all diabetes cases, and most others are completely preventable.

While they may be mostly preventable, we REALLY don't know why it is happening. We know some things we think are aggravating circumstances for sure, but no smoking gun.

I'm actually starting to believe that obesity and type 2 diabetes have a lot to do with gut flora.

(Right, I thought it sounded insane at first too...)

trifecta

mother wrote:Actually type 1 is generally easy from that aspect since it's from childhood. You always lived that way so it's normal. However dealing with insulin is a PITA.

That is assuming said person gets diagnosed as a child. For multiple friends of mine, that didn't happen. So that sudden transition was very difficult for them. Hopefully more the exception than the rule nowadays.

I will have to look into the gut flora stuff.

trifecta

On another note... I am in a bidding war with PetiteSirah for a bottle on winebid. I got there first, but it looks like he might want it more than me.

mother

trifecta wrote:That is assuming said person gets diagnosed as a child. For multiple friends of mine, that didn't happen. So that sudden transition was very difficult for them. Hopefully more the exception than the rule nowadays.

Oh, indeed. It's rough having to adjust everything about your life.

I first heard about the research from an article in The Economist .

Obviously it's not a peer reviewed journal, but it's a good intro to the subject...

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

I figure I'll get much better/faster response here than I did over on deals.

cowboom. flash sale today. game consoles, but primarily wiis. All cost $49++.

Any idea what the models mean in terms of the remote in particular? google has not been much help. rvl-001, rvlskrp2, rvl101, rvlswrp2, etc.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mother wrote:While they may be mostly preventable, we REALLY don't know why it is happening. We know some things we think are aggravating circumstances for sure, but no smoking gun.

I'm actually starting to believe that obesity and type 2 diabetes have a lot to do with gut flora.

I've seen several patent applications dealing with manipulation of gut flora in *hopes* of treating obesity, etc. Now I'm going on memory, but researchers have established that there are differences in gut flora between obese and normal weight people. What they haven't figured out is why, and whether obesity causes the gut flora changes or the other way around, and how. Personally, I think there's something to it, but it's still mostly mysterious.

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:On another note... I am in a bidding war with PetiteSirah for a bottle on winebid. I got there first, but it looks like he might want it more than me.

So which wine is so important to you two?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. 1986 Folie a Deux Estate Bottled Petite Sirah

cortot20

joelsisk wrote:I figure I'll get much better/faster response here than I did over on deals.

cowboom. flash sale today. game consoles, but primarily wiis. All cost $49++.

Any idea what the models mean in terms of the remote in particular? google has not been much help. rvl-001, rvlskrp2, rvl101, rvlswrp2, etc.

The base console never really changed, what changes is the bundling. The last one in your list rvlswrp2 comes with some extras. Wii motion plus controller and a couple of games. check the following link for some more info. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/gi_system.jsp?menu=console&submenu=rvl-gi-sys-diff

I know there are some changes to the console size but it will make little difference as the original unit itself is about the size of a standup external hard drive.

I know it gets bashed as a casual gamers console but I thought it had some solid and very hard core games on it.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:While they may be mostly preventable, we REALLY don't know why it is happening. We know some things we think are aggravating circumstances for sure, but no smoking gun.

kind of my gut reaction (ha) when I first heard about the gastro bypass and suddenly diabetes symptoms are gone. Gotta be something going on in that section they take out ya know? At least, you'd sure want to start focusing some research there.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
coynedj wrote:What I really hated was the dirt for lunch. Made the afternoons really drag. Of course, it was better than anything I got at home, so I shouldn't complain too much.

wow!! you were able to have dirt for lunch??? What a fancy school you went to!!! we had to grind rocks into small enough bits, if we had extra time, we ground them up super small....yummmmm

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:wow!! you were able to have dirt for lunch??? What a fancy school you went to!!! we had to grind rocks into small enough bits, if we had extra time, we ground them up super small....yummmmm

You guys got dirt or rocks to eat? All we got was air. If we were lucky, it got windy and we had some dust with it.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Sounds like a bunch of old wind bags in here.

"Kids today have it so easy". They have screwtops.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:You had paper?? We had to use bark from trees. And we had to dip our hands into the hot fire to get charcoal on our fingers to use to write with!

At least you didn't have to prick your fingers and use the blood for ink. And people wonder why I hate needles...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

trifecta wrote:On another note... I am in a bidding war with PetiteSirah for a bottle on winebid. I got there first, but it looks like he might want it more than me.

And he's the one who always yells at everyone when they try to outbid him on things

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:So which wine is so important to you two?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. 1986 Folie a Deux Estate Bottled Petite Sirah

Aw, trifecta, give it up. PS isn't gonna let that go.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:That is assuming said person gets diagnosed as a child. For multiple friends of mine, that didn't happen. So that sudden transition was very difficult for them. Hopefully more the exception than the rule nowadays.

Yes, that's why it's now called Type 1 and Type 2 rather than child-onset and adult-onset. Or insulin dependent or non-insulin dependent. Type 1 is autoimmune related (we think) and Type 2 is more related to insulin resistance. Although if memory serves correctly there are increasing suggestions that Type 2 includes some level of pancreatic dysfunction.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
cheron98 wrote:At least you didn't have to prick your fingers and use the blood for ink. And people wonder why I hate needles...

I still can't get over all this "paper" talk. I had heard of the stuff, but usually we just used leaves when we could find them inside the barbed wire. The leaves we could find were usually poison ivy, but it was the best we could do.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mother

klezman wrote:Yes, that's why it's now called Type 1 and Type 2 rather than child-onset and adult-onset. Or insulin dependent or non-insulin dependent. Type 1 is autoimmune related (we think) and Type 2 is more related to insulin resistance. Although if memory serves correctly there are increasing suggestions that Type 2 includes some level of pancreatic dysfunction.

Basically. Type 2 starts as insulin resistance but can lead to stress damage to the beta cells in your islets, at least theoretically...

trifecta

cheron98 wrote:Aw, trifecta, give it up. PS isn't gonna let that go.

We'll see. I have backed off... for now. I typically don't like to outbid others Wooters, but I did start the bid. Maybe if I had some assurance I could taste it at an event, ahem, I could let it go.

cheron98

Modern day Sword in the Stone.

I have a Cork in the Bottle that no mere mortal can retract. If you can pull it out, the bottle is yours. I am angry with it for it has altered my wine plans for the evening. Instead of drinking a wine that may or may not be superbly crappy (to reflect my mood for not having my valentine anywhere nearby), I am going to have a 2004 Rosenblum Rhodes Vineyard PS. With a giant plate of linguini alla vodka. And I am going to watch Being Human (the show, not the movie). It seems very fitting.

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:Modern day Sword in the Stone.

I have a Cork in the Bottle that no mere mortal can retract. If you can pull it out, the bottle is yours. I am angry with it for it has altered my wine plans for the evening. Instead of drinking a wine that may or may not be superbly crappy (to reflect my mood for not having my valentine anywhere nearby), I am going to have a 2004 Rosenblum Rhodes Vineyard PS. With a giant plate of linguini alla vodka. And I am going to watch Being Human (the show, not the movie). It seems very fitting.

poor thing.....on the bright side... I LOVE Being Human....I am 2 episodes behind.....

cortot20

cheron98 wrote:Modern day Sword in the Stone.

I gave sparkys nephew the klingon bird of prey wine screw as a gift one year from Thinkgeek and its impossible to extract a cork with it without either breaking the bottle or splashing yourself.

Its a Klingon strength test.

CT

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:You guys got dirt or rocks to eat? All we got was air. If we were lucky, it got windy and we had some dust with it.

you had air? ....lucky!!! that was a treat for very special occasions!!