MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!!!

(And yes, someone else is allowed to start the Pub!!)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of February 10th.

Love is in the air! Just add wine!

February 2013
2/9: NorCal #?: Vintage Pinot
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend
2/23: NoVA/DC #28: Sweet and Sour

March
3/16: NYC #21: Cupcakes
3/22: Minnesota #20: Visitors from Afar
3/23: SoCal #24: Aged Zins
TBD: Colorado/Wyoming #?

Pending
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tiger7610 wrote:Cards against humanity is great I hear, still waiting to play it. Pandemic is winnable, but you need to play it with 2 people, the more people you play it with the harder it becomes. Have you considered geting into semi-cooperative games like Betrayal House on the Hill, or the Battlestar Galactica game, or Shadows over Camelot? Bang-the spaghetti western card game is also great as a party game.

Yeah, we're trying to play games for 7+ people.

Plus, it appears one of the nephews favors "Spiel des Jahres" winners.

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:No new pub? I'm at the international terminal right now seeing my mom off. I feel like I keep seeing different nationality wooters, like oh, there's an Indian Klezman or an Asian cat! It's amusing.

Re: board games if y'all like rpgish adventure types let me know. My friend has a really good script running on bgg for one so we're playing by forum for one called runebound.

Well, it's not like I'm not letting someone else start the Pub ....

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, it's not like I'm not letting someone else start the Pub ....

It's all those witty titles week after week that suppress mere mortals from attempting same.

CT

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, it's not like I'm not letting someone else start the Pub ....

[stupid slow woot servers caused this]

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22

THis will get the Pubs back to proper order.

Working from home today. Governor asked all employees in Hartford to work from home if possible. Keep more cars off the roads so they can clear them. Throw in freezing rain this morning causing worse driving conditions. And with only two meetings that were easily rescheduled, and not urgent, so I heeded the request.

Worked out well. My wife made pancakes to use the leftover buttermilk, and bacon. Nice way to start Monday.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus

Starting Thursday night, SWMBO and I are going to start sleep training Emerson via the Furber method. It's going to be horrible, I fear, but well worth it in the end if it works. I'm going to have a really hard time...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Starting Thursday night, SWMBO and I are going to start sleep training Emerson via the Furber method. It's going to be horrible, I fear, but well worth it in the end if it works. I'm going to have a really hard time...

I had one full night of yelling and then its been wonderful. I hope its as easy for you. I get 2-3 wakeups during the early evening 9-11pm and 4-6am range but its easily taken care of by helping him find his pacifier. Because it ended up being so easy we felt we could have done it much earlier and that he was working us over for food he didn't really need.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 500 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Starting Thursday night, SWMBO and I are going to start sleep training Emerson via the Furber method. It's going to be horrible, I fear, but well worth it in the end if it works. I'm going to have a really hard time...

It'll break your heart the first night but it does work wonders. You're just teaching her that she can go back to sleep all by herself.

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:I had one full night of yelling and then its been wonderful. I hope its as easy for you. I get 2-3 wakeups during the early evening 9-11pm and 4-6am range but its easily taken care of by helping him find his pacifier. Because it ended up being so easy we felt we could have done it much earlier and that he was working us over for food he didn't really need.

The feedings are less of an issue. We have her down to once a night and that's going to end simultaneously with the real problem -- sleeping in her own crib and not waking up every 2 hours. This is all theoretical, of course. She won't sleep through the night. She hasn't once. Fingers crossed she will after this.

ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:The feedings are less of an issue. We have her down to once a night and that's going to end simultaneously with the real problem -- sleeping in her own crib and not waking up every 2 hours. This is all theoretical, of course. She won't sleep through the night. She hasn't once. Fingers crossed she will after this.

Do you swaddle? If not, you might try it. They kinda like nice tight quarters so moving to a bigger crib is unsettling.

In son's day (20+ years ago), they told you to roll up a towel to put on each side of them. Doubt they do that anymore for fear of suffocation. Guess we wanted sturdy kids back then.

cortot20

ThunderThighs wrote:Do you swaddle? If not, you might try it. They kinda like nice tight quarters so moving to a bigger crib is unsettling.

In son's day (20+ years ago), they told you to roll up a towel to put on each side of them. Doubt they do that anymore for fear of suffocation. Guess we wanted sturdy kids back then.

Swaddling was helpful until about three months and then it seemed to have no effect. I personally love it, its tough to swaddle yourself though so I suggest having your wife help you.

CT

kylemittskus

ThunderThighs wrote:Do you swaddle? If not, you might try it. They kinda like nice tight quarters so moving to a bigger crib is unsettling.

She used to love being swaddled. Maybe well try again when we start the training. It's going to suck so much. I'm going to have an anxiety attack all night. I have to keep reminding myself that it's worth it.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:She used to love being swaddled. Maybe well try again when we start the training. It's going to suck so much. I'm going to have an anxiety attack all night. I have to keep reminding myself that it's worth it.

Does she cry or yell?
My son seemed to yell, which told me he's fine, just a creature of habit.

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:She used to love being swaddled. Maybe well try again when we start the training. It's going to suck so much. I'm going to have an anxiety attack all night. I have to keep reminding myself that it's worth it.

I remember waiting up in a panic the first time my son slept through the night. That, and a boob the size of Mt Ranier.

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Does she cry or yell?
My son seemed to yell, which told me he's fine, just a creature of habit.

Both. And she is stubborn. SWMBO talked to a friend of a friend who did this with her daughter. The first night, she cried for 3 hours. That's what Em is going to do, I think.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Both. And she is stubborn. SWMBO talked to a friend of a friend who did this with her daughter. The first night, she cried for 3 hours. That's what Em is going to do, I think.

Just plan for a sleepless weekend, and she may surprise you by giving you one nights trouble and then being so tired that she sleeps like a log the rest of the weekend. I took it upon myself to sleep train Mason and let my wife sleep with earplugs, turned off the baby monitor and just stayed up in the next room over from his room. Its really not so bad, you just give her back her pacifier or comfort her without a pickup at planned intervals and keep the brain occupied in between with something else.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm

Kyle, good luck with all of that! May your whole household get some good, uninterrupted sleep soon!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Just plan for a sleepless weekend, and she may surprise you by giving you one nights trouble and then being so tired that she sleeps like a log the rest of the weekend. I took it upon myself to sleep train Mason and let my wife sleep with earplugs, turned off the baby monitor and just stayed up in the next room over from his room. Its really not so bad, you just give her back her pacifier or comfort her without a pickup at planned intervals and keep the brain occupied in between with something else.

That's our plan exactly except I think we're going up take turns. Did you do structured time intervals, allowing more time to pass each time you went in?

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:That's our plan exactly except I think we're going up take turns. Did you do structured time intervals, allowing more time to pass each time you went in?

I didn't set a timer, I just went in every few minutes to start and then spaced it out until he eventually fell asleep.

CT

bahwm

Dilemma: Today is technically the last day that I have off for my flu excuse. I am so unsure of where I am regarding healing and going back to work. No fever or watery eyes or sneezing. I still have a nasty cough and stuffy head and my voice isn't all that strong--at least not for talking to a classroom full of 7th graders getting psyched for a vacation that starts at 2:25 on Friday. But, I really want to be back with my students! I want to be teaching them what they need to be learning--not just giving them somewhat related work. The district did not hire a sub who knows French to fill in for me, so generic work has been planned for most of the week! I hate that!

On the other hand, I don't want to have some sort of relapse or even develop pneumonia! ddeuddeg & I are preparing one of the 7-course food and wine pairing dinners this Saturday and then, Tuesday morning we are leaving for California for a little R&R and D&D!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:It's all those witty titles week after week that suppress mere mortals from attempting same.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font!

"Clif the Red, lesser known brother of Eric, climbs a hill" is witty?

Of course, it was close to Midnight PT. And I almost added "to fetch a pail of water" as well.

MarkDaSpark

So is that Steve Furber's method (boring the child with Computer Engineering talk) or Douglas Furber's singing "Bells of St. Mary's" to them?

Or did you mean by reading Edna Ferber's novels (Giant, Show Boat, Cimarron, etc.), all made into movies?

The funny thing is I was thinking of James Thurber,author and cartoonist extraordinaire. I remember reading his short stories (My Life & Hard Times) & cartoons growing up (after his death, sadly).

Funny because I typed Ferber into Google to thinking I'd find him (it's been so long, I forgot the spelling) to do the above, then found I didn't have to, since you were referring to Dr. Richard Ferber's method.

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Dilemma: Today is technically the last day that I have off for my flu excuse. I am so unsure of where I am regarding healing and going back to work. No fever or watery eyes or sneezing. I still have a nasty cough and stuffy head and my voice isn't all that strong--at least not for talking to a classroom full of 7th graders getting psyched for a vacation that starts at 2:25 on Friday. But, I really want to be back with my students! I want to be teaching them what they need to be learning--not just giving them somewhat related work. The district did not hire a sub who knows French to fill in for me, so generic work has been planned for most of the week! I hate that!

On the other hand, I don't want to have some sort of relapse or even develop pneumonia! ddeuddeg & I are preparing one of the 7-course food and wine pairing dinners this Saturday and then, Tuesday morning we are leaving for California for a little R&R and D&D!

Yes, we want both of you healthy for next week!!!

And it seems that if you are still coughing, they wouldn't want you around the kids.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Sparky, we just added an Ohio event for the SH wine tasting dinner. Any chance you can add it to the pub events posting and the main offer one?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Sparky, we just added an Ohio event for the SH wine tasting dinner. Any chance you can add it to the pub events posting and the main offer one?

It's not til April, so does it need to be added right now, or can it wait til next Sunday (when CJ updates the list)?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's not til April, so does it need to be added right now, or can it wait til next Sunday (when CJ updates the list)?

I guess it can wait, but its not like your busy drinking wine, or finishing your CT update!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cortot20 wrote:Swaddling was helpful until about three months and then it seemed to have no effect. I personally love it, its tough to swaddle yourself though so I suggest having your wife help you.

Remind you of your old jacket?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cortot20

bhodilee wrote:Remind you of your old jacket?

I didn't get to keep it. When they stamp your forehead SANE they make you turn in your club jacket.

CT

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:I guess it can wait, but its not like your busy drinking wine, or finishing your CT update!

Or updating the D&D threads!!!

Besides, it's Monday!

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, we want both of you healthy for next week!!!

And it seems that if you are still coughing, they wouldn't want you around the kids.

So, I actually spoke with the doctor this afternoon and we decided to give me two more days off. Hopefully, more of the cough & head congestion will go away and then, hopefully, my voice will be back full force. And then, I'll just have two days to be in school before break. That should work. It shouldn't be too overly taxing.

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
bahwm wrote:So, I actually spoke with the doctor this afternoon and we decided to give me two more days off. Hopefully, more of the cough & head congestion will go away and then, hopefully, my voice will be back full force. And then, I'll just have two days to be in school before break. That should work. It shouldn't be too overly taxing.

Get better. Your students miss you.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

Cory, SWMBO wants to know how many nights it took for Mason to sleep through the night. Also, was he sleeping in bed with you two and then went to the crib? She's using people we know who have done this as a barometer. We're worried, like I'm sure every other parent is/was, that Em is the most stubborn baby in the world and that it will work for everyone else and not us.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Opened the chocolate covered cherries, four of them are wrapped in red foil. Anyone know if there's a difference in them or just cosmetic? Didn't see it mentioned in main thread.

CT

kylemittskus

Sparky, time2testit/redhead11, Java (ha!), Tim, and any other So Cal folks I'm forgetting about, please check in at the gathering thread. We have a tentative date set.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Cory, SWMBO wants to know how many nights it took for Mason to sleep through the night. Also, was he sleeping in bed with you two and then went to the crib? She's using people we know who have done this as a barometer. We're worried, like I'm sure every other parent is/was, that Em is the most stubborn baby in the world and that it will work for everyone else and not us.

He slept through the night the very next night. 11 hours. But it was because he slept fb. 3 hours the night before.

We moved him into his crib at 2 months and haven't looked back since every little movement would wake me up. I'm a light sleeper though.

It's been a month since we did it and he still wakes up periodically but it's usually because he lost his pacifier or is done sleeping even though we aren't. But most importantly he doesn't wake up to eat after the first night of training him.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

I couldn't do the Fuber method... too hard on me!! good luck!!

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:I couldn't do the Fuber method... too hard on me!! good luck!!

I keep reading his as the FUBAR method. Good think G knows it's the Feber method, 'cause I'd never heard of it. Still, I'm thinking they may be related? Kids were such a very long time ago, it's now grandparents revenge.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Dilemma: Today is technically the last day that I have off for my flu excuse. I am so unsure of where I am regarding healing and going back to work. No fever or watery eyes or sneezing. I still have a nasty cough and stuffy head and my voice isn't all that strong--at least not for talking to a classroom full of 7th graders getting psyched for a vacation that starts at 2:25 on Friday. But, I really want to be back with my students! I want to be teaching them what they need to be learning--not just giving them somewhat related work. The district did not hire a sub who knows French to fill in for me, so generic work has been planned for most of the week! I hate that!

I would stay home at least another day or so.... If you have no voice and a cough, you will not be as productive in the classroom as you would want to be... Let your body heal.. Sorry you didn't get a French speaking sub... We had 2 positions open today. 1 finally got filled and the person showed up at 9:40 (school started at 8:25) and on position was never filled. Over 200 people were "called" by the automated system and no one accepted the job!! unreal.... Feel better....