2010 Braganini Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Braganini Reserve Cabernet Franc
2009 Braganini Reserve Chancellor Noir
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

Can't say I'm all California all the time now can you? In for one just because and yes I hope it's yummy.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I may be interested in this wine, but I have zero idea what it is since woot automatically take ls me to the mobile site where I can find no info whatsoever. Can someone clue me in as to the blend and numbers, please? And/or fix the site?

Edit: Cesare gave me the varietals. I thought this was 4 bottle of a blend. Mobile site fail!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

Perfectly pleasant winery - I was a member of the wine club for about a year.

Michigan is a great wine state and deserves more attention, but it's the German-style whites that it (and St. Julian Braganini) really excels at, and Michigan Cabernet isn't going to become the hot new thing any time soon.

Still, $70 for four bottles is about right as prices go. The ones of these I've had (not this vintage) would be about right at $17 from the wine store. Not a "you should buy these stat" sort of Woot, but if you're in the mood for something a little odd but not unpleasant, go ahead.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

Interesting, a four bottle offering from Michigan. I got an earlier St. Julian woot, but no reds. Yes, interesting here.

I like to have time to think about a bottle. More often than not I'll receive a shipment that I won't touch for months. Others I actually forget I've received until I try to do a CT update. Seldom do I receive a shipment and pull a cork the same month, or week, let alone the same day. Not that I'm all that worried about bottle shock, but I do believe it exists, so why test it. This was the exception. Outta work so fast I forgot my laptop battery charger, over the weekend even. It's battery isn't ~that~ good.

And I like to collect others so I don't get off lost in the weeds tasting. For this one it was not to be.

Despite consuming a few bottles over the years I'm not all that familiar with CF, enough however to know CS is the progeny of CF and SB. Nor am I all that familiar with Michigan wines in general, but I know Scott Harvey made a mean Leelanau Peninsula Riesling and I've had other St Julian bottles as well purchased earlier on woot, just to see what they were like. Most recently, just this week, a Sweet Nancy sparkler I assume named after winemaker Nancy Oxley.

so

Wine: Michigans' St. Julian, Braganini Reserve 2010 Cabernet Franc.
Straight from FedEx to home, a brief stint in the fridge, to PnP.
Clear ruby in color, but wow, it is PALE. Even pale for a pale PN, but not even close to Rose pale however. Not much nose at first, perhaps those 15 or so minutes were too long. This is not how I remember a CF looking, so I dig out a 2007 Hahn CF and a 2009 Domaine Puydeval Vin de Pays d'Oc Rouge for calibration.
Ok, so those two are both red/garnet and medium/deep depth; so the St Julian I have here is going to be different.

Yes, likely too long in the frig. At first I just get some expected bell pepper and cherry, and something else I can't quite place yet.

First taste: another surprise, for me. This is tart! But there was some brief flash of something intensely fruity. At first I thought sweet but it wasn't, and I could never duplicate it on subsequent tastes.

So dry, absolutely, and as it warms to ~15C, it drifts from light to medium+ body and the nose opens up. Still tart and Im not getting the suggested vanilla or tannins, unless I'm confusing tart for tannic; but I don't think so. Then again, I've not tasted Michigan oak either, so could be… Ahh, that nose; cranberries, unsweetened, tart, ripe cranberries. If I'd taken time to read the label it wouldn't have been such a mystery.

Long finish on this, surprisingly so, but not all that complex, but it is a 2010 so that's not all that strange.

I like the numbers on this; surprisingly low ABV, but I suppose that is a result of reduced heat to bring the brix way up. And he pH is substantially lower than the typical Cali Cab.

Yes, must revisit this, so I'll have an update tomorrow after I've had a bit more time with this. For now I'll cap some of it with Ar in a 375 and just re-cork the balance in the 750 and see what tomorrow brings.

At this point, definitely a food wine, not something I think you'd pour and sip. That tartness seems like it calls for and would hold up to a variety of food stuffs you'd toss at it.

CT

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I may be interested in this wine, but I have zero idea what it is since woot automatically take ls me to the mobile site where I can find no info whatsoever. Can someone clue me in as to the blend and numbers, please? And/or fix the site?

Edit: Cesare gave me the varietals. I thought this was 4 bottle of a blend. Mobile site fail!

Kyle, check your email
Cesare, check your PM

CT

mipo777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mipo777
kylemittskus wrote:I may be interested in this wine, but I have zero idea what it is since woot automatically take ls me to the mobile site where I can find no info whatsoever. Can someone clue me in as to the blend and numbers, please? And/or fix the site?

Wootstar app. Problem solved.

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

I've always wanted to try more wines from Michigan and cooler parts, so now I'm getting the chance! There are those who think the cooler climates are only good for white and dessert wine. I couldn't disagree more. Sure, you may say that's because I come from such cooler climes, and you'd probably be right. There's still something I like about these wines that are just different and interesting when compared to your standard (or even extraordinary) California fermented grape juice.

Braganini Reserve 2009 Chancellor Noir, Michigan Shore. 12% abv.

We opened this one up at work for happy hour today - just two of us since the rest of our (tiny) crew is stuck in the east due to the storms. First thing you need to know about him is that he does most of his purchasing from a mailing list run by a fellow named Jon. For those not familiar, that means his tastes run toward the high acid, sense of place sort of wine. His first impression was that this had a fair bit in common with the wines he normally gets, except that it first smelled "raw". He didn't particularly enjoy his first sip, but after trying a bit more he changed his tune. He thought that it had a nice freshness and tartness to it while being in line with what he'd expect from a Michigan or New York red. He wasn't eager to have a second glass on its own, but thought the wine would go well with some food and was brainstorming among the more hearty seafood options.

For my first glass at the office I generally agreed with his assessment. The wine was a nice purple colour but with a slightly brickish hue. I thought it had a very earthy/barnyard funkiness to it while retaining a bit of herbaceousness on the nose. Yes, definitely a cool-climate wine based on the nose…not a whole lot of fruit. With the sniffing portion of the first pour completed, on to the tasting. That's why we're here, right? I was surprised at the level of fruit in this one - struck me as a grapey-raspberry combo that was surprisingly smooth given my expectations. Not a drop of RS here, though, and none of that alcohol sweetness. Perfect. I had actually expected the acid to be even higher than it was, but here we are with a nicely balanced and fresh wine that still has a nice bit of tartness to it. During the first glass I also observed that it had a somewhat smokey finish and a bit of air brought out a minerality that I hadn't anticipated. I also tried pairing it with some Italian salami, which went surprisingly well. It somehow changed the wine almost completely and brought out a bit more fruit while giving it an umami-laden richness that reminded me of truffle and made me want to gulp down even more wine. Perhaps dry cured salami is the way to go with this wine?

After pouring those first couple tastes I recorked the bottle. After making it home and starting to churn some blueberry-lime sorbet I reopened the wine for round #2. My notes from above still generally apply, but for some reason the wine seems more savoury than it was previously. The brightness and minerality are still evident and the vegetal flavours were (to me) in harmony with everything else.

Overall, I found this to be a pleasant wine that should be pretty versatile with food pairings. The strong acid and mineral backbone should have this marry well with anything from a robust fish to poultry or pork. I probably would opt for something a little bigger to go with red meat, though. Another thing that kept occurring to me was the sensation that this was a lot like Baco Noir. Given that Chancellor and Baco Noir are both hybrids and grown in similar climates I'm not that surprised, but for those who are familiar with one but not the other, you can extrapolate from there.

Buy this wine if a) you are adventurous, b) you like the more restrained of the wootish offerings (or the leaner examples of French wine), c) you like high-acid wines, d) you want a wine that will be versatile with food pairings, or e) you yearn for the Niagara-sourced wines of your youth.

Do not buy this wine if a) your handle is fredrinaldi, b) your tastes run toward the super-high-extract Napa/Sonoma Cab or Zin, c) you love fruit-bombs and don't understand this whole "restrained flavour" business.

I've got about a third of a bottle remaining and recorked sans-Ar or vacuum. I'll revisit tomorrow to see how it's evolved.

Seriously considering going in for one here, having read Ron's CF review. FYI: I also wrote this before looking at the winery's info or listening to the vintner's voicemail.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:I've always wanted to try more wines from Michigan and cooler parts, so now I'm getting the chance!

Klez, which wine?

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Klez, which wine?

See, I also wrote the review before the deal went up. So I wasn't sure if it was a mixed offering or a triplet/quad. Edited above.

Chancellor Noir 2009

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2009 Braganini Reserve Chancellor Noir

Color: Medium Crimson

PnP
Nose: plum, raspberry, cocoa, a little herbaceous and a hint of sweet spice. There was also a brief moment where I thought I smelled something reminiscent of earl grey tea. I've not had this varietal before but it reminds me, somewhat, of a Cabernet Franc. Very pleasant nose

Palate: Not as much going on here compared to the nose. Light to medium body. Very bright attack, a good amount of acidity, flavors of raspberry, tart cherry and a touch of heraceousness. Light tannin. Not a powerful finish but a good length of 25 seconds; mostly cherry and herb.

1 Hour
Nose: The sweet spice that I was getting earlier has turned into more of a cedar note. Everything else is pretty much the same with a slight increase in intensity.

Palate: Also increasing in intensity. Not quite what I would consider medium bodied, but closer than it was an hour ago.

Overall, a very good wine; this would definitely go well with food! I think rosemary salmon would be a very good pairing. The high acidity would cut through fats and cleanse the palate with each sip. The nose is very aromatic, the aromas jump out of the glass and at 12% ABV, there's no distraction. I'm really enjoying the slight herbaceousness too.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Okay, I'm only interested in the Chancellor Noir bottle, anyone in the SoCal area ordering a set, and not want it?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

r5swank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages r5swank

I work for the winery and overall I enjoy the analysis of the lab ratters. Michigan reds have come a long way and are still advancing, but we do produce lower abv product than your Cali reds. This as many have suggested cause a product that is really food friendly!

If anyone has in particular questions let me know!

r5swank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages r5swank
PhilSandifer wrote:Perfectly pleasant winery - I was a member of the wine club for about a year.

Michigan is a great wine state and deserves more attention, but it's the German-style whites that it (and St. Julian Braganini) really excels at, and Michigan Cabernet isn't going to become the hot new thing any time soon.

Still, $70 for four bottles is about right as prices go. The ones of these I've had (not this vintage) would be about right at $17 from the wine store. Not a "you should buy these stat" sort of Woot, but if you're in the mood for something a little odd but not unpleasant, go ahead.

Thanks for being apart of our club I hope you enjoyed your time in it!

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

I got a chance to try the Braganini Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. PnP through aerator. Dark magenta color with medium forming legs. Nose of dark fruits, cedar and spice.

On the palate, the wine is still pretty tight initially. I poured some into a decanter and took my time drinking the first glass. Similar flavor profile to the nose, dark fruits (blackberry, plum, cassis) on the palate with cedar/vanilla oakiness, and quite tannic.

Didn't notice much change throughout the half hour or so it took me to drink the first glass, so I let the rest decant for another hour before revisiting.

At that point, the fruits were a little more upfront and I was getting some cherry along with the black fruits. The tannins had smoothed out some but the wood flavors were still pretty prominent.

Definitely a new world style Cab (minus the high ABV) but with a darker core than most Cali Cabs. A little too much oak/tannin for my personal taste but a lot of people like their Cabs this way.

I saved some to drink later today so I can see how it changes, as this is the type of wine I typically enjoy much more on the second day. I'll report back later with some notes on its evolution.

EDIT: Kind of early to start drinking, not even Noon EST but I have plans to attend (of all things) a "wine appreciation class" this afternoon so here are my additional thoughts on this MI Cab:

Definitely smoothed out a lot overnight. The oak and tannins are much better integrated now. Still getting mostly dark fruits on the palate. Agree with losthighwayz that there is a peppery herbaceousness to the wine. A quality that I normally associate with Cab Franc, not Cab Sauv but it doesn't detract from the wine's overall appeal.

I'm still kind of undecided about this wine but it's an interesting representation of CS that may be worth a flyer - especially at a fraction of its $40 retail price. Combined with the other 3 varietals in today's offer, these wines would make a nice addition for anyone looking to diversify their cellar.

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mrsjhaye

Sittin' on the fence; really thinking hard if I want this. I absolutely loved the St. Julian's Pinot Grigio and somewhat liked their Riesling. The comment above on how the reds may only be so-so compared to this winery's whites has me hesitating.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

I had the 2010 Cabernt Sauvignon in this offer earlier this week with my better half. The first thing I will say is that this was different from anything I've had before...VERY DIFFERENT though not necessarily in a bad way. Keep in mind I predominantly drink CA, OR, WA and Spanish wines. My wife is a new world pinot and zin lover. Notes:

PNP nose has that barnyard funk that disappears after about a minute in the glass. Green bell pepper, touch of jalapeño, and other herbaceousness comes through.

Color: bright red hue that gets closer to blood red in e center of the glass. Though a 2010, it also reminded me a bit of an aged cab since I noticed some brick-like tint

Taste: so different that it took the two of us a while to put a finger on it. We both agreed it was very light mouthfeel and felt somewhat watery with a short finish. I would go as far as to say it tasted a bit rustic. The fruit was hard to peg down at this point.

One hour after opening the fruit came through a bit but not much....we both agreed stewed black fruits predominated (though not like a raisiny zin) and wife mentioned she Detected some bacon flavors.

IMO this is a very light cool climate type red (though I am not familiar with MI wine country). I noted I would be ok paying 10-12 dollars a bottle.

I would recommend if you want to have something different from the norm once in a while. I cannot see myself drinking is often but for the occasional curveballl ok with keeping a few on hand.

I recorked half of the bottle and will have some in a bit to see if any changes took place. I hope this helps!

"The older I get the better I was"

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I tried the 2008 Meritage at a dinner party last night. I don't think I've ever had a wine from Michigan, and I wasn't expecting much.

I decanted the wine for a few hours before pouring it back in the bottle and bringing it to the party.

On first pour, very light body for a Bordeaux blend.

Fruit is muted. There are some vegetal undertones mixed with cedar. The cedar aspect threw me off a bit on this wine.

We paired this wine with pizza, and the table drank it. General table consensus made of non-regular wine drinkers (besides myself) was "not bad".

Personally, it was not my style of wine, but it was better than I would have guessed a Michigan Bordeaux blend could be.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559

Based on the reviews here, it seems like an easy pass. Does not appear to be a stellar bargain either.

Eastcoastmary

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Eastcoastmary

What is the latest deal with being a labrat? Things have changed since the days when WW had one 1 or 2 offerings in a week. How are the ratters picked now?

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Braganini Reserve Winery 2010 Cabernet Franc

Disclosure: I have to admit some ignorance when it comes to Cabernet Franc.

But I was pleasantly surprised when the doorman handed me a single bottle box when I arrived home yesterday in the early evening. Admittedly, I was not expecting any wine delivery and as such already had dinner planned out and wine chosen. And having just gone shopping for both food for dinner and basic essentials, just in case the 2nd 'Storm of the Century' was anything like the ad selling media whose bottom line benefits when disasters are on the horizon, was correct.

As it not surprisingly turning out, NYC was spared with barely enough snow to consider it a storm. Very disappointing, 2 or 3 feet would have been so nice. 5 or 6 inches, didn't live up to the media hype. Oh well, climate change has so screwed with the natural jet streams that we may well see a true snow storm in NYC in this decade.. One can certainly hope.

But I digress; I have family in from Israel for 10 days, so we get upstairs and I opened the box, excited to see a Michigan wine (Go Blue!) The bottle felt quite cool, so I didn't bother to chill it at all. I left it standing on the counter to recover from FedEx Handling Shock (no, it's not covered by Obamacare,) for a whole 30 minutes. I rarely open a bottle the same day it arrives, in fact rarely the same week or month. Knowing nothing about this wine, I didn't know whether it was unfiltered, but hoped it was not.

The veggies were cut up and wine pasta put on the stove. A couple of small chunks of frozen White Truffle Butter were chipped out of the container to be mixed into the cooked pasta.

Pop the cork and notice the lack of aroma coming from the bottle. A quick sniff of the cork gives me a little pause, my instinct telling me this CF wasn't going to be a big hit, but had no details to add. So I try to push that thinking to the back of my mind so as not to alter my thinking. Pour some into a glass and notice the dark pink coloring, yet crisp, which is different than I expected and clear around the edges. But with so little experience with CF, I had nothing to really compare it to. Viscosity is low, so this definitely isn't a big wine.

Aromas seem to be lacking. Out loud I ask myself whether my nose is stuffed. Cleans the pallet with a quick sip and then proceed to taste.... Not really sure. My cousin and I sort of look at each other in wonderment. The finish is long and smooth but just sort of 'there.' I guess not complex is a better way to put it. A couple of subsequent sips lend no more information.

Figuring some breathing time will do this well good, we sit down for dinner and proceed to taste on and off. I'll cut to the chase and come back with some detail. This wine can be summed up, as my cousin did, with one word, "weird." I've used psychological ideas like multiple personality disorder, bi-polar disorder, and others in the past to describe wines. I'm at a loss with this one.

rjquillin wrote that he could never duplicate the flavors from the first taste. Our experience certainly was the same but raised to the power of 5. We could barely duplicate any individual sips and even more odd, from glass to glass. As we sat eating and discussing the wine, I jokingly asked whether we were drinking the same wine. So we took sips from each others glasses. If I hadn't known better, I'd say we had different wines in our glasses.

My glass was quite tart and vinegary with aromas I described as a raspberry tart and she described as floral, reminding her of one of her perfumes. Her glass was like an unsweetened grape juice with greatly muted aromas, although I still picked up the raspberry tart.

As dinner progressed, the aromas sweetened and the flavors seem to progress to a Sweet Tart, I always did love those candies. The pasta shouldn't have been able to over power any wine, but definitely over powered this one.

Over the course of the next 4 hours we kept tasting the wine, never really made it into the drinking phase, it just wasn't a pleasant wine. The aromas and flavors were all over the place. Differed from glass to glass and pour to pour. The two consistencies I found were a tartness/vinegary'ness that I did not care for and the aroma continued to sweeten. At one point I noted a hint of vanilla, but didn't experience others from the description on the bottle.

Left the bottle open overnight. Not being a morning or even early afternoon drinker, I took a couple of small sips and found it improved in the vinegary'ness was greatly reduced, the tannins were showing through, the Sweet Tart taste had returned and the raspberry tart aroma was also back with the sweetness smell greatly reduced.

I've had both hit and miss wines from St. Julian in the past. I've now come to the conclusion that for me, I'm going to stick to their whites. It may well be that this CF is simply too young and needs a couple of years in the cellar. Or that my experience with CF is so minimal that this is more the norm for this variety. Either way, if you buy this, be prepared to decant and/or give it at least 12 hours to breath and even better, cellar for a couple of years. I'd be interested in trying it again a couple of years down the road, but will pass on this offer, even though I really like the idea of offers with variety in the varietals like this one. Hope WW/WCC will bring more of these types of offers to us. Just give me a couple of months to make some room in my cellar first ;)

In closing, I wanted very much to like this wine. I take no pleasure in sharing not so positive opinions. But if I didn't share my honest appraisal, I'd be a drowned rat not an artist formerly known as labrat. Thank you to WW/WCC/St. Julian for bringing us this mixed offer.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

jimmyinmb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyinmb

I tried last year's offering of their Meritage Vertical. UNDRINKABLE!!!!!!!!! Dumped every bottle in the sink. Can't think of another time I ever dumped out a wine that wasn't vinegary. Had an almost metallic taste.
On the bright side Woot cheerfully refunded my purchase. Yea Woot!! Boo on Braganini

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Guys, I deleted the screen shot of the Facebook page. While the person's timeline is public, that's a line I don't want to cross. Photoshopping is too easy.

I understand that the post in question is relative to this sale and I respect that. Feel free to quote the post with a post date and link to the source.

Please keep your discussions on topic to the wine, winery, and vintner. Please don't let this thread become an off-topic political discussion.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

klezman

chipgreen wrote:Definitely smoothed out a lot overnight. The oak and tannins are much better integrated now. Still getting mostly dark fruits on the palate. Agree with losthighwayz that there is a peppery herbaceousness to the wine. A quality that I normally associate with Cab Franc, not Cab Sauv but it doesn't detract from the wine's overall appeal.

If anything, peppery herbaceousness makes me want to try it more!

misswinegirl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages misswinegirl

Winemaker here to answer questions. The Southwest Michigan wineries just invited 3 Master Sommeliers in this week to evaluate our wine in our region against several world-class wines. I can proudly say all 3 of them live St. Julian Brsganini Reserve reds!!!

The 2010 BR Cabernet franc received rave reviews, comparing it to several wines in Bordeaux! Same for the Cabernet Sauvignon!!!

Please remember Michigan is considered a cool climate and our wines will reflect more of the old world versus the new world!!!

608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

misswinegirl

klezman wrote:If anything, peppery herbaceousness makes me want to try it more!

Classic flavors of a cool climate red!!! This wine definitely changed over time once opened. Low ABV makes this wine very good friendly!

608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
ThunderThighs wrote:Guys, I deleted the screen shot of the Facebook page. While the person's timeline is public, that's a line I don't want to cross. Photoshopping is too easy.

I understand that the post in question is relative to this sale and I respect that. Feel free to quote the post with a post date and link to the source.

Please keep your discussions on topic to the wine, winery, and vintner. Please don't let this thread become an off-topic political discussion.

All right, I'll bite, since I found the information interesting the first time it was posted.

In a Facebook post here: http://www.facebook.com/nancie.corum/posts/488437201200648 the winemaker accused Barack Obama of being a Muslim.

Money's a bit tight for me at the moment and her reds aren't my favorites to begin with, but knowing this certainly makes me disinclined to spend my money on her wines in the future.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Eastcoastmary wrote:What is the latest deal with being a labrat? Things have changed since the days when WW had one 1 or 2 offerings in a week. How are the ratters picked now?

There are no more labrats. Check your PMs.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

misswinegirl wrote:The 2010 BR Cabernet franc received rave reviews, comparing it to several wines in Bordeaux! Same for the Cabernet Sauvignon!!!

Please remember Michigan is considered a cool climate and our wines will reflect more of the old world versus the new world!!!

Classic flavors of a cool climate red!!! This wine definitely changed over time once opened. Low ABV makes this wine very good friendly!

So I'm trying to understand the CF I tasted last night, and gain insights based on others notes and your comments here. Your comments regarding classic cool climate style make me think these may need time to integrate. Noting the low pH and ABV and ample TA and some tannic structure, characteristics frequently associated with ageable wine, is it expected these will improve with cellar time? The general simplicity would seem to argue otherwise however. Do you have any library wines with similar characteristics that have shown marked improvement with some number of cellar years?

Perhaps our general impressions here are skewed by the relative youth of these releases?

CT

misswinegirl

rjquillin wrote:So I'm trying to understand the CF I tasted last night, and gain insights based on others notes and your comments here. Your comments regarding classic cool climate style make me think these may need time to integrate. Noting the low pH and ABV and ample TA and some tannic structure, characteristics frequently associated with ageable wine, is it expected these will improve with cellar time? The general simplicity would seem to argue otherwise however. Do you have any library wines with similar characteristics that have shown marked improvement with some number of cellar years?

Perhaps our general impressions here are skewed by the relative youth of these releases?

Yes, we have several library wines from past vintage that seem to become more complex with time. Michigan is a "young" growing region compared to CA, WA or even OR. Site selection with each varietal took some time with the learning curve, and education about tonnage, clone selection and trellis methods have finally been hashed out with growers. I think these wines and future vintages will only keep getting better.

This particular wine does have high acid and low pH, which does make it age worthy. I can say that we open these reds each month to see how the evolve over time and they definitely change with age, as expected. 2010 is a young vintage and I have the confidence that this wine will be great over the next several years!

I recently had a bottle of the 2005 BR Meritage and it was drinking quite nice, loved it!!'

Eastcoastmary

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Eastcoastmary
kylemittskus wrote:There are no more labrats. Check your PMs.

Thanks for the info.

rjquillin

Braganini Reserve 2010 Cabernet Franc, continued…

A re-observation under daylight; this is not as anemic as CFL's made it appear last night.
Still pale, yes, but there is additional depth more readily visible under better lighting conditions.

Night two:

First, the 375mL capped with Ar is unchanged from night one.

The ~200mL left in the 750 and just recorked has evolved, in a good direction.
At what seems a more reasonable 16.5C for this CF, the nose has opened up nicely with cherry, berry fruit and a touch of oak now dominating over the herbaceous notes of the first night that have diminished substantially. That cranberry tartness has receded to be replaced by what is now clearly a tannic note, but balanced by the fruit. Aside from the light nature, this is drinking quite nicely, where the sample in 375 is not, in comparison.

PnP really did not do justice to this bottle, and I should have explored what a Venturi would have done...

Last night I paired this with various soft cheeses, goat and cow, and some tapenade. Tonights supper is a light vegetable - chicken pasta that while likely not the best match, seemed to work with CF, and SWMBO is finishing off some St. Julian 2010 PG from a few weeks ago that was actually the better selection and nearly unchanged from when opened with the Ar I use.

Based on Nancie's earlier responses to my aging questions, this really is tempting. I would like to come back and revisit this in a few years to see if the complexity now lacking could develop into something other than what is now clearly a young wine.

CT

klezman

2009 Chancellor update. After being recorked for nearly 24 hours, the wine has integrated more, gotten smoother, and the flavour profile is about the same. I like it slightly more now than yesterday, but I'm really digging the bright freshness of the flavours and the cool climate profile. Delicious, imo, but if you're a CA fruit bomb person then this is likely not your wine. But you knew that already.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

2010 Cab Sauv update: uncorked remaining bottle and left open for about 4 hours....the fruits are more noticeable and it has more body but not a huge change overall. Enjoyable but lacks that "wow" factor. Definitely an old world wine. $15 seems appropriate.

"The older I get the better I was"

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

My apologies for not posting earlier. We had a group over for dinner tonight and lo and behold I actually had a bottle of the 2009 Reserve Meritage. We opened it to go along with the cheese and bread round of dinner. The cheeses included smoke gouda, aged cheddar, brie and asiago. So, on to the wine. PnP and noticed, based on the white paper test, that this wine was rather transparent. Burgundy in color. Nose: not much of anything. Legs: not really any. Automatically thought this might be a disappointment on the tasting round. It does have muted fruit, with some cherry and plum fairley evident. Even though it is light on its feet, it paired very well with the cheeses. All four of the tasters agreed that it went well with cheese and french bread. I would not drink this with a juicy rib eye. Conclusion: four yes votes for a wine that goes well with appetizers.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
PhilSandifer wrote:All right, I'll bite, since I found the information interesting the first time it was posted.

In a Facebook post here: http://www.facebook.com/nancie.corum/posts/488437201200648 the winemaker accused Barack Obama of being a Muslim.

Money's a bit tight for me at the moment and her reds aren't my favorites to begin with, but knowing this certainly makes me disinclined to spend my money on her wines in the future.

Disappointed those posts were deleted. The graphic could have been deleted without deleting the text. I'm unclear what line posting a public comment may cross? The only line that was crossed was by the vintner. Stoking the lies and fears being spread by republicans needs to be exposed for the bigotry it is. Comments like that are indecent and have no place in a free society. Every person that comes to these forums should know what kind of person they are supporting when they buy these wines. Unless WW is afraid of poor sales #s, removing those posts crosses the line, IMHO.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

limesc1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages limesc1

Bought the vertical offered on woot about a year ago... Just drank them with friends to test them out.
The wines were "good" not great. I live in VA and I think there are a lot of local wineries that are on the rise, and are getting great. But I put these wines in this category.
We enjoyed them, and would be happy to have them again. However, if you are expecting a CA Cabernet, you will be left wanting.
If you haven't had these try them and learn about what Mich has to offer, but realize these will taste very different than a run of the mill Cab.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
mschauber wrote:Disappointed those posts were deleted. The graphic could have been deleted without deleting the text. I'm unclear what line posting a public comment may cross? The only line that was crossed was by the vintner. Stoking the lies and fears being spread by republicans needs to be exposed for the bigotry it is. Comments like that are indecent and have no place in a free society. Every person that comes to these forums should know what kind of person they are supporting when they buy these wines. Unless WW is afraid of poor sales #s, removing those posts crosses the line, IMHO.

Wow, I try to buy wine based on taste not on the winemakers/owners political views. Take it to politics thread.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

Damn. Meant to try for last sucker and got sucked into a board game. I'll pick this up if it comes back in a woot-off.