joseph1951

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joseph1951

ok....so to sum up, just how sweet is this wine??? love Stillman wines, not a fan of sweet wines....

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Seems my notes are in line with those posted last night while I slept.

Klez thought the early sweetness was alcohol related. We thought it was the colder temp. Can anyone identify why it seems sweeter at first?

This was never real sweet, but started clearly off-dry and as it warmed was more of an edge of sweetness.

I did some research on Viognier after I wrote my notes, as I don't have that much experience with it. This wine really hits true for how the varietal is described. If you like Viognier, you'll like this. And if you don't know the wine, this would be a great bottle to learn from.

Still thinking of the wonderful aromas and tropical flavors. In for two sets.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

joseph1951 wrote:ok....so to sum up, just how sweet is this wine??? love Stillman wines, not a fan of sweet wines....

Not very sweet. And if you find it sweet at first, it seems that if you let it open and get to room temp, it will be barely sweet, and with some great acidity. I'd say give it a try.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
joseph1951 wrote:ok....so to sum up, just how sweet is this wine??? love Stillman wines, not a fan of sweet wines....

Technically, just under one percent. As for perceptions, they've run the gamut here, depending on palate, food, and serving temperature. I am not a fan of the 'jug Chard' that usually has about this % of sugar, but then those wines have less acidity and far less fruit.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

I am one crabby Virginian! Had I been able to purchase, I'd have been in for the max.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kkv123 wrote:I am one crabby Virginian! Had I been able to purchase, I'd have been in for the max.

Is that why your avatar looks like its flipping the bird?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

+2. I never pass up any wines by SB. Auto-buy

Speed to First Woot: 0m 14.334s
First Sucker:rjquillin
Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson
Last Purchase:5 minutes ago

WD, you're killing my bank account. Call me so I can just put your name on my credit card, since you seem to own it.

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

Big fan of Stillman's wines. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with this varietal.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy

Gotta wonder... if it is labeled 15% ETOH with 1% RS, how hot would it be if it was taken to fully dry?

Whee doggie!

stillmanbrown

confusedemmy wrote:Gotta wonder... if it is labeled 15% ETOH with 1% RS, how hot would it be if it was taken to fully dry?

Whee doggie!

15.6; not sure how many people would prefer it that way. I may try blending next year (not blending it 'out' aka making it go away but pairing it) IF it sticks again and IF there is anything worthy/compatible. Oh, and if the yield doesn't explode back to typical Paso 4+ T/A.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy
stillmanbrown wrote:15.6; not sure how many people would prefer it that way. I may try blending next year (not blending it 'out' aka making it go away but pairing it) IF it sticks again and IF there is anything worthy/compatible. Oh, and if the yield doesn't explode back to typical Paso 4+ T/A.

Of course, I am now back from reading the first page where you told us about the wine deciding what it would be all on its ownsome...

Did you actually try to cook some all the way through simply to see where it wound up and what happened to it? Or is the 15.6 based on (insert phony horror scream) calculations ; )

And oh - I need to buy asap, so I don't bang my head against the wall in agony once again because it sold out while I was doing something else...

sdfreedive

quality posts: 28 Private Messages sdfreedive

Ok, it's a Stillman wine which means I'm pulling the trigger. I'm a fan of fruit forward whites and this sounds perfect.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
kkv123 wrote:I am one crabby Virginian! Had I been able to purchase, I'd have been in for the max.

Me too!!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Stillman, if you have any if the 05 Bear Syrah, can you put 6-10 bottles aside for us. We'll be headed your way in September. If that's too long to hold, no worries. If people are breaking down the antique door for it, F them!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

stillmanbrown

confusedemmy wrote:Of course, I am now back from reading the first page where you told us about the wine deciding what it would be all on its ownsome...

Did you actually try to cook some all the way through simply to see where it wound up and what happened to it? Or is the 15.6 based on (insert phony horror scream) calculations ; )

And oh - I need to buy asap, so I don't bang my head against the wall in agony once again because it sold out while I was doing something else...

No I didn't. A marginal 'unsticking' refermentation might just have trashed the experiment.

stillmanbrown

slm9951 wrote:Me too!!!

Hmmm maybe you should email me :-)
stillmanb@aol.com

stillmanbrown

kylemittskus wrote:Stillman, if you have any if the 05 Bear Syrah, can you put 6-10 bottles aside for us. We'll be headed your way in September. If that's too long to hold, no worries. If people are breaking down the antique door for it, F them!

Ha! It's in the library, will do.

stillmanbrown

Er, you should email me :-)

Kainc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kainc

What an Milton! I somehow hit the stupid yellow button, but failed to upsize the order. I emailed woot support to rectify this foolish error, and received a generic "will get back to you" reply. Did I go through the correct channel?

Edit - "Milton?" not exactly my word

lagrover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lagrover

This is an autobuy - Thanks Stillman!

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
Kainc wrote:What an Milton! I somehow hit the stupid yellow button, but failed to upsize the order. I emailed woot support to rectify this foolish error, and received a generic "will get back to you" reply. Did I go through the correct channel?

Edit - "Milton?" not exactly my word

Now that the all-you-can-ship option is in effect, you can order more than once until you hit the limit, without having to pay additional shipping. No emails to service@woot required!

stillmanbrown

Is that "Milton the Monster"???

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
polarbear22 wrote:At more normal temps, the viscosity is reduced and the acidity comes through more. The sweetness has also faded. The peach and tropical fruit remain. Still has a nice long finish.

This will be a good buy for many different tastes. We liked it colder with more of the sweetness. As it comes to room temp and the acidity increases, it is more of a food wine. Nice multiple personalities to this wine.

Good job Stillman Brown.

Interesting. I thought the acidity was brighter when it was colder and the sweetness was more prominent as it warmed up. I also preferred it colder though

+1 on everything else. I think about 98% of the woot-o-sphere would love this wine.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

To me, barely perceptible. Just enough to know it's not bone dry but not enough to say "wow, that's a sweet wine!"

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Kainc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kainc
chipgreen wrote:Now that the all-you-can-ship option is in effect, you can order more than once until you hit the limit, without having to pay additional shipping. No emails to service@woot required!

Done! Thanks!

polarbear22

klezman wrote:Interesting. I thought the acidity was brighter when it was colder and the sweetness was more prominent as it warmed up. I also preferred it colder though

+1 on everything else. I think about 98% of the woot-o-sphere would love this wine.

How cold did you start out? Ours was in the fridge a few hours to start, so near 37-38 degrees.

Regardless, interesting how we taste different.

My Cellar

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:How cold did you start out? Ours was in the fridge a few hours to start, so near 37-38 degrees.

Regardless, interesting how we taste different.

Same, and we kept the bottle in the fridge but poured small portions so we could experience it as it warmed.

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Stillman, if you have any if the 05 Bear Syrah, can you put 6-10 bottles aside for us. We'll be headed your way in September. If that's too long to hold, no worries. If people are breaking down the antique door for it, F them!

That and the 05' BZ were my two favorites from Stillman.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

stillmanbrown wrote:Is that "Milton the Monster"???

Milton

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Wow! i though this was going to be gone by now, that's why o bought 2 lats night.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

One More Friday Gone.... this week is killing me!!! I am not supposed to buy anything til D&D.... and this week I have made 2 purchases.... this being one of them!!!!!!!!!! agghhhhhhhhhhhh.. can't wait to try this!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:One More Friday Gone.... this week is killing me!!! I am not supposed to buy anything til D&D.... and this week I have made 2 purchases.... this being one of them!!!!!!!!!! agghhhhhhhhhhhh.. can't wait to try this!!

Welcome to Stillman's party.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Interesting. I thought the acidity was brighter when it was colder and the sweetness was more prominent as it warmed up. I also preferred it colder though

I'm gonna go with Stillman on this. For me, while it didn't even come close to 'flabby', it's initially brisk nature did diminish as it warmed.

Stillman, at what brix did you harvest?

CT

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:One More Friday Gone.... this week is killing me!!! I am not supposed to buy anything til D&D.... and this week I have made 2 purchases.... this being one of them!!!!!!!!!! agghhhhhhhhhhhh.. can't wait to try this!!

You will be glad that you did. Of course, if you never tasted it, you wouldn't know what you missed.

My Cellar

stillmanbrown

rjquillin wrote:I'm gonna go with Stillman on this. For me, while it didn't even come close to 'flabby', it's initially brisk nature did diminish as it warmed.

25.7 with no raisining - and an average of six or so puny clusters per vine. TA started out over 8 g/l but of course some fell out.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

I've been waffling all day, but can no longer resist. Daughter getting married in 65 days, so watching the pennies, but it's Stillman! In for two.
Cheers!

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim

I'm in too, again! I've got a buddy that's going to be happy when all this shows up because I don't think I have room for it all.

klezman

rjquillin wrote:I'm gonna go with Stillman on this. For me, while it didn't even come close to 'flabby', it's initially brisk nature did diminish as it warmed.

Definitely nowhere near flabby. I hope I didn't give that impression anywhere.

stillmanbrown

klezman wrote:Definitely nowhere near flabby. I hope I didn't give that impression anywhere.

The winemaker, not the wine?

stillmanbrown

My, it's quiet! But this means I'll have a little more jungle juice for my email list, local restaurants and wine bars, and parties. Next one's the second weekend in May!