12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1594 Private Messages Cesare

Gauthier Select Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$65.99 (Normally $122.90) 46% off List Price
2010 Gauthier Select Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, Rockin’ H Ranch Vineyards
CT link above
Winter Precautions: Ships in 3-5 Business Days

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

hokiedevil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hokiedevil

Tasted this one in Austin:
- Tart cherry flavors dominate.
- Picked up some oak but not too much.
- Tasted a little young, but not in a bad way. It's drinking pretty well right now, but should age quite nicely.

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii
hokiedevil wrote:Tasted this one in Austin:

Any experience aging any vintage of this wine?

ggauthiersquared9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggauthiersquared9
hokiedevil wrote:Tasted this one in Austin:
- Tasted a little young, but not in a bad way. It's drinking pretty well right now, but should age quite nicely.

ggauthiersquared9

ggauthiersquared9 wrote:

Having worked with this vineyard for 10 years I can tell you the flavors are really layered. The three clone, 777 ,667 and Pommard give this wine Cherries and cramberies. The Ranch gives you allspice and sage.
I'm glad you like it.
G-squared

ggauthiersquared9

rejiii wrote:Any experience aging any vintage of this wine?

The Oak is 90% french Medium toast to enhance the smokey feel in traditional French Pinot.
Austin is one of my favorite towns

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

No Maryland or West Virginia even? Now I don't even have a convenient Woot-legging address for this one. And I'm tempted. *sigh*

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ggauthiersquared9

wkdpanda wrote:No Maryland or West Virginia even? Now I don't even have a convenient Woot-legging address for this one. And I'm tempted. *sigh*

You could try the 09 at Timpano grille in Maryland.

hokiedevil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hokiedevil
rejiii wrote:Any experience aging any vintage of this wine?

Personal experience aging this particular wine? Only the 5 minutes it spent in my glass at the Woot gathering.. haha ;)

That's a good question and I should clarify, I am not qualified to guess from a single tasting what the long-term/max/optimal aging should be for this particular wine. I will leave that to the vintner.

What I can say with pretty good confidence from the tasting is that it should certainly continue to develop nicely in the short-term (over the next few years) should you choose to rack it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ggauthiersquared9 wrote:The Oak is 90% french Medium toast to enhance the smokey feel in traditional French Pinot.
Austin is one of my favorite towns

Wait...did you say French Toast?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

BLGauthier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BLGauthier
ggauthiersquared9 wrote:Having worked with this vineyard for 10 years I can tell you the flavors are really layered. The three clone, 777 ,667 and Pommard give this wine Cherries and cramberies. The Ranch gives you allspice and sage.
I'm glad you like it.
G-squared

Is the first "G" for "Greg?" My brother-in-law was also named Greg Gauthier. Does that make us cousins?

Another brother-in-law and his wife, (belyndag on Woot), just spent a few days in Sonoma. Evidently they never found your vineyard or they surely would have visited. Lots of Gauthiers in South Louisiana! And we ALL love wine!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Welcome Greg!

...I was happy to discover Gauthier's Pinot (and Riesling). This one has nice, red cherry fruit with a layer of spice. A solid Sonoma Coast Pinot....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I'm out of town, so I don't have my tasting notes, but this was definitely in my top two wines of the Austin Wine.Woot Gathering.

As Neil says, this is very solid Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. So if that's your preferred style, and it is mine, you will probably enjoy this one.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bougiee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bougiee

Been looking to try some more Pinot...first woot since April. In for 1.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
ggauthiersquared9 wrote:You could try the 09 at Timpano grille in Maryland.

But what if I like it?? ;-)

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bougiee wrote:Been looking to try some more Pinot...first woot since April. In for 1.

Glad you broke the dry-spell.. enjoy!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kabraxcis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kabraxcis

So this has nothing to do with this specific sale, but I want to ask you guys which cases of wine come packaged in styrofoam, with 2 pieces of styrofoam molded into a 12-holed package. I've ordered a couple cases, and some come in layered cardboard and some are enclosed in styrofoam. Is it just the winery's choice?

I'm asking because I've found a use for these styrofoam pieces but only had one laying around, and need a second.

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

Sorry to chime in so late. I finally found my notes from Austin. This was a nice wine and I wish we had had time to try it over time and let it open up. I got cherry on the nose and a bit of alcohol, which dissipated before I emptied my glass. We thought this wine was good without food but I'm sure paired with the right food it would be great. I can't remember where we were in our food courses but it didn't work with what we were eating at the time. I definitely enjoy Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir and this was a nice example.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
kabraxcis wrote:So this has nothing to do with this specific sale, but I want to ask you guys which cases of wine come packaged in styrofoam, with 2 pieces of styrofoam molded into a 12-holed package. I've ordered a couple cases, and some come in layered cardboard and some are enclosed in styrofoam. Is it just the winery's choice?

I'm asking because I've found a use for these styrofoam pieces but only had one laying around, and need a second.

You mean that you don't use them to store wine that doesn't fit in your wine cooler?

kabraxcis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kabraxcis
noslensj wrote:You mean that you don't use them to store wine that doesn't fit in your wine cooler?

No I mean I'm out of wine and need to order more cases but would very much prefer to get the ones with styrofoam as I actually have a use for it now

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
kabraxcis wrote:No I mean I'm out of wine and need to order more cases but would very much prefer to get the ones with styrofoam as I actually have a use for it now

Styrofoam is in the summer as part of "summer shipping" precautions

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
chipgreen wrote:Styrofoam is in the summer as part of "summer shipping" precautions

Wow. Well if that isn't a real factoid. Impressive

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:Styrofoam is in the summer as part of "summer shipping" precautions

I've also seen this as a winter precaution as well.

CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
kabraxcis wrote:No I mean I'm out of wine and need to order more cases but would very much prefer to get the ones with styrofoam as I actually have a use for it now

Well, that's your problem right there. ): You need to be buying more wine; then the wines you have that are waiting to be consumed can fill the open spaces in the styrofoam cases. As you drink those you just refill those slots with the new juice arriving from more recent purchases.

Just a matter of proper inventory control - that's all.