MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:I like the visual with the wall .... unfortunately that wouldn't work here in florida!! esp. since I don't run my air that much!!

He has a special room for it (note the door). Which I need to still run amok in, once I get back to Denver.

Edit: Me!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:He has a special room for it (note the door). Which I need to still run amok in, once I get back to Denver.

Edit: Me!!!

oh, I can only imagine what my family/friends would be saying if I turned one of my rooms into a wine room!!!....hmmmm something to think about when the kids go to college......

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Scary: UPS arrived with a shipment for ddeuddeg. Since I have the flu, I didn't want to touch her pen & tracker thingie. I spoke to her thru the window & asked her to sign because I have the flu and then, just leave the pkg. She complied and wished me well. I checked on the tracking info and she signed MY name instead of ddeuddeg's! I guess we've all in the system! Crazy!

Well, it IS supposed to be signed by the person receiving!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

My bottles are grouped as such:

Home
Main (28 bottle fridge)
Girlfriend (12 bottle fridge, nominally hers)

Cellar
Box A
Box H ( locker top shelf boxes starting with A through D left to right in the rear and E though H in the front

Box 1
Box 8. Bottom shelf arranged the same way

(Other "bins" describing where bottles are stacked on top of the boxes a-h and 1-8)

Basically if I can narrow it down to a handful of bottles, I know what the capsules look like and can fish it out in no time. Being specific to a single bottle space is FAR more pain than it is worth.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:oh, I can only imagine what my family/friends would be saying if I turned one of my rooms into a wine room!!!....hmmmm something to think about when the kids go to college......

Actually, IIRC, it was one of the selling points when they moved into their new home (the old one was nice too!).

We also need to plan a raid (when it's warmer, but before the giant mosquitoes wake up) to Minnesota to Doc O's cellar. It's built into his basement area!!

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Pending

Pending???? Pending????????

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:Actually, IIRC, it was one of the selling points when they moved into their new home (the old one was nice too!).

We also need to plan a raid (when it's warmer, but before the giant mosquitoes wake up) to Minnesota to Doc O's cellar. It's built into his basement area!!

Yes, the wine room was a selling point. It's not much more than an oversize walk-in pantry in the (finished) basement.

Doc O's cellar is in construction phase III, I believe... it also has many more, nicer bottles than mine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:Actually, IIRC, it was one of the selling points when they moved into their new home (the old one was nice too!).

I think SWMBO would be more open to it now that she's met some of you. I would have thought it would have had the exact opposite affect!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

joelsisk wrote:Yes, the wine room was a selling point. It's not much more than an oversize walk-in pantry in the (finished) basement.

Doc O's cellar is in construction phase III, I believe... it also has many more, nicer bottles than mine.

Not to mention a wooden case!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

joelsisk

otolith wrote:Not to mention a wooden CORISON case!

IFTFY

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
klezman wrote:+1

I'm still waiting for a fight to the death to convince somebody that theirs is the ultimate in storage awesomeness.

I can hear J's response in my head. "I have the perfect storage place. It's called my belly!"

CT

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mommadeb1 wrote:oh, I can only imagine what my family/friends would be saying if I turned one of my rooms into a wine room!!!....hmmmm something to think about when the kids go to college......

I can see that. They come back for the weekend, and you're like sorry, you have to sleep on the couch. We turned your room into a wine cellar

CT

otolith

joelsisk wrote:IFTFY

And it's your fault!

--John Muir

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:Haha... Just trying to pass on what worked well for me (only partial OCD) in case it might help others who have a similar daunting task.

At least the pub post count is up for once

That's why it's so much fun - most of us have some level of OCD with our wine. And logical ways to store said wine.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:I can hear J's response in my head. "I have the perfect storage place. It's called my belly!"

Hahaha...definitely. You two should come down for a wine romp with the SoCal people. Plus I have bottles for you.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:I can understand how identifying each row and column is helpful, but the F/B doesn't make much sense to me.

Seems like extra work for no gain.

For somebody who is computer savvy, typing C6B instead of C6 is hardly extra work. And though the gain in small, it's still worth the 'extra work', IMO.

ajrod27

klezman wrote:+1

I'm still waiting for a fight to the death to convince somebody that theirs is the ultimate in storage awesomeness.

I'm working on an automated retrieval system, similar to what large library's use for automated book retrieval. I'll link it to CT so I can just click on the wine I want and it'll find it and bring it to me.

Jk. I wish!

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
ajrod27 wrote:For somebody who is computer savvy, typing C6B instead of C6 is hardly extra work. And though the gain in small, it's still worth the 'extra work', IMO.

I won't go into the fact you mention it takes savvy to type an extra character. The reality is that it does take more work, and doubles the number of bins. I still fail to see even the small gain you refer to. Waiting for anything that shows a value greater than zero.

I do realize that you are trying to justify your system. There is no right answer, so whatever works best for you. I just prefer logic based decisions. Right now I still don't see the logic in F/B, but maybe you can produce an argument that will change my mind.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I am laughing. My CT system, that I cannot keep up to date on, has two locations -- cellar and "under stairs". Under stairs is a back section of the cellar, with a small door off the unfinished area. Used mainly for Bordeaux and Corison - wine that needs to age a while. So the majority of my cellar is just listed as being in the area. Very little trouble finding a bottle, except when I already drank it and did not remove from CT. And I reorganize between single bottle and bin racks regularly, so a real PITA to try and track specific location.

Basically, my coding is binary -- got it/don't got it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:
Basically if I can narrow it down to a handful of bottles, I know what the capsules look like and can fish it out in no time. Being specific to a single bottle space is FAR more pain than it is worth.

This is a good point. The vast majority of the time I already have a picture in my minds eye of what the bottle/capsule look like.

mommadeb1

That sounds like a plan!! I haven't been to Minnesota since I was a kid... Nice place... I do think their mosquitoes are as bad as Florida!!

mommadeb1

tenuki wrote:I can see that. They come back for the weekend, and you're like sorry, you have to sleep on the couch. We turned your room into a wine cellar

It is tempting!!!! One of these days I will get to remodel my kitchen... maybe... just maybe... I can have a built in wine room!!!

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:That sounds like a plan!! I haven't been to Minnesota since I was a kid... Nice place... I do think their mosquitoes are as bad as Florida!!

True, they don't have the gator problem though ...

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:True, they don't have the gator problem though ...

or python....they do have that funny thing called "seasons", something I kind of remember.....

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
joelsisk wrote:maybe I don't have so much trouble due to the inherently inefficient nature of my storage...

It's primarily visual. Also loosely sorted by varietal (right to left) and drinking window (top to bottom).

I see you sitting on the wine fridge...you can't hide from me

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

bhodilee wrote:I see you sitting on the wine fridge...you can't hide from me

You're the first person I thought of when I saw that...

--John Muir

joelsisk

bhodilee wrote:I see you sitting on the wine fridge...you can't hide from me

and the two bottles of G in the foreground wine table...

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:and the two bottles of G in the foreground wine table...

I like the G, but not as much as the others.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ajrod27

trifecta wrote:I won't go into the fact you mention it takes savvy to type an extra character. The reality is that it does take more work, and doubles the number of bins. I still fail to see even the small gain you refer to. Waiting for anything that shows a value greater than zero.

I do realize that you are trying to justify your system. There is no right answer, so whatever works best for you. I just prefer logic based decisions. Right now I still don't see the logic in F/B, but maybe you can produce an argument that will change my mind.

I did not say it takes savvy to type an extra character. My point was, for somebody who knows what they're doing, it takes an insignificant amount of time to type that extra character.

Here's the logic. You can either spend an extra moment 1.)entering an extra character on the bin or 2.)spend an extra moment checking the label of each bottle you pull out. Either way takes an insignificant amount of time, so the choice is just of preference.

bhodilee

ajrod27 wrote:I did not say it takes savvy to type an extra character. My point was, for somebody who knows what they're doing, it takes an insignificant amount of time to type that extra character.

Here's the logic. You can either spend an extra moment 1.)entering an extra character on the bin or 2.)spend an extra moment checking the label of each bottle you pull out. Either way takes an insignificant amount of time, so the choice is just of preference.

you gonna eat that horse? I've got some friends from France coming over.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:you gonna eat that horse? I've got some friends from France coming over.

I hear UK meat packing houses will come take it away for free ;)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
coynedj wrote:My, you people certainly are OCD-like. As for my 334 bottles (counted them yesterday) and some Orange Crusher on the way, I am sticking to the old tried and true "I think that one's over here somewhere" approach. Cellar Tracking to me is knowing where the cellar is.

Only 328 bottles, not 334 - I didn't realize at first that I had 6 bottles of the Trader Joe's Christmas Ale in the wine rack.

Good thing, 'cause otherwise I might have thought that my inventory was getting out of hand. Of course if I had been using CT I wouldn't have made such a mistake, but I don't really care that much.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

otolith

OOOHHHHHH....How I like to be on hold... :rolleyes:

--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:OOOHHHHHH....How I like to be on hold... :rolleyes:

...Terminal Ignore...

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mother wrote:I bet you he starts counting at 1 also...

He does! Makes everything have an off-by-one error. Sigh

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

klezman wrote:Groan.
Anyway, she's a programmer. (0,0) is the upper left. QED

Yay, someone understands!

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Nope, the big bottom bin is Bin 0. And that's why I started from the bottom to the top. So that the big open section could be Bin 0.

Lies. I haven't seen things in your CT marked as vinotheque 0.x

otolith

rjquillin wrote:...Terminal Ignore...

Well I did delete about 3 years of saved emails during that time! I somehow feel emptier inside.

--John Muir

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
InFrom wrote:Out with the iron, in with the kitteh!

Needs an "I" for inkycatz.

I'm just hanging out, really.