xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

I got this the last time it was offered. Me,I didn't care for it.
Perhaps,I'm more of a tradionalist. In any case,I found it a little bitter,however,taste being subjective,YMMV.

melrod333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melrod333
sealag wrote:I'm in the Lakes region - I would go in on halvsies. let me know.

PM to you

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

klezman wrote:Less a buying than a drinking problem...I'm not drinking it quickly enough! I'm trying to at least not increase my overall bottle count, but excellent deals on things that either I love or really want to try are making it hard.

So yeah, I'll be fine without any of this, but I do want to try it. Hence offering to take a bottle off somebody's hands. It'd be easier if WD just shipped a case to one of us SoCal people and we sorted it out later

hah, easier said..

this is such a fun and unique wine. Thanks Don and Sons for making this again for wine.woot.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808
jonianne29 wrote:When there is a business name in an address, it seems obvious to me that "home delivery" is not the appropriate option.

Um, perhaps because businesses typically do not allow alcohol on premises and FedEx cannot guarantee that the addressee is person receiving packages at a place of business? Your business may very well be unique in allowing employees to receive personal packages containing alcohol on company premises during company business hours while working on company time.

If the wine is for business purposes, then your business should be ordering wine from the winery.

If my employees were doing what you are asking about, that would be grounds for termination. It is a recipe for all kinds of liability to allow it. Just sayin'.

Use the FedEx redirect to your local kinko's of choice if you don't want it delivered to your home.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mike808 wrote:Um, perhaps because businesses typically do not allow alcohol on premises and FedEx cannot guarantee that the addressee is person receiving packages at a place of business? Your business may very well be unique in allowing employees to receive personal packages containing alcohol on company premises during company business hours while working on company time.

If the wine is for business purposes, then your business should be ordering wine from the winery.

If my employees were doing what you are asking about, that would be grounds for termination. It is a recipe for all kinds of liability to allow it. Just sayin'.

Use the FedEx redirect to your local kinko's of choice if you don't want it delivered to your home.

By your definition, there must be A LOT of "unique" businesses out there. There are very few "white collar" jobs that have problems with people receiving personal packages as work, no matter what it is. If you aren't consuming it at work, it's generally not a problem. Yes, that is not the case everywhere, but I definitely wouldn't say it is the exception either.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

boboboy005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boboboy005

I'm in NYC, working in Midtown East and living in Long Island City. Anyone interested in splitting let me know soon. Thanks!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Absolutely loved this, missed it last year, but got 2 bottles through a friendly wootlegger, and each has been a huge hit.

This is a unique wine that is absolutely worth the price.

Naturally, even though I'm not buying much wine these days, I had to go in for 3. I'd be willing to sell out 4 bottles or so of it to others in the NYC area who are willing to come get it.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

crusherwinemaker

quality posts: 12 Private Messages crusherwinemaker

Hello wooters. Sorry for the delay. I have been reeling from a football game that I would rather not talk about.

Glad to see the engaged conversation on the boards today. The World of Woot sure is passionate about the orange wines. Lots of questions that I do not have the answers to regarding state's shipping. Sorry to anyone who is disappointed by the rules and regs. So are we.

This wine is one of my very favorites - not just that we produce. I love it. If you want unusual, unique wines that no one else will have at the dinner party this is it.

The 2011 is a bit different in style than the 2010. It has a slightly more golden/brilliant color than the 2010s. And it looks like it smells - if that makes sense... It has a bit more perfumed aromatics than the 2010. but still the same unique tannin and structure that you dont often see in a "white" wine.

Hope you liked the 10s, glad to see some people were able to wait and taste it as it ages. These are wines that will evelove and develop over some time...

publicart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages publicart
eajohnst wrote:Is it safe to assume that this wine would be best served chilled?

If you browse the reviews on the last page of the previous offer and on Cellar Tracker you'll notice that many of the people who chilled it actually enjoyed it more once it warmed up to room temp.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
crusherwinemaker wrote:Hello wooters. Sorry for the delay. I have been reeling from a football game that I would rather not talk about.

Would you go so far as to say you are crushed?

Obvious, but I couldn't pass it up.

tafoxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tafoxx
mike808 wrote:Um, perhaps because businesses typically do not allow alcohol on premises and FedEx cannot guarantee that the addressee is person receiving packages at a place of business? Your business may very well be unique in allowing employees to receive personal packages containing alcohol on company premises during company business hours while working on company time.

Yeah, I get mine delivered to work because nobody's at home during the day. Coworkers are interested but I can't imagine it would ever be frowned upon. Someone else usually signs for it, in fact.

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie

FedEx doesn't care who signs for it, as long as they're old enough.

Receiving all sorts of personal packages at work, including alcohol, is hardly unique, although businesses certainly would be within their rights to prohibit it. At least half of us would be out of a job at my office if we got canned for getting wine delivered to the office.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

It's been a while since I've been this excited about a woot. It's funny, I was just thinking about when the orange crusher would be making it's return.

Can't Wait!

crusherwinemaker

publicart wrote:If you browse the reviews on the last page of the previous offer and on Cellar Tracker you'll notice that many of the people who chilled it actually enjoyed it more once it warmed up to room temp.

Very interesting read over at Cellar Tracker. I found it entertaining. Clearly it is a wine-savvy audience and a lot of our customers seem at a loss for words. Recurring theme is "dont know what to make of this". Which is exactly the point, right. The whole world is red-white-pink. And I am happy to break that paradigm!

crusherwinemaker

CowboyDann wrote:It's been a while since I've been this excited about a woot. It's funny, I was just thinking about when the orange crusher would be making it's return.

Can't Wait!

Love your passion. I get fired up for Big Orange too!

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
Winedavid39 wrote:hah, easier said..

this is such a fun and unique wine. Thanks Don and Sons for making this again for wine.woot.

WD, did woot get the full production again this year?

CT

avonleacavendish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avonleacavendish
random122 wrote:Went in for one for this reason and the quick sellout last year too. Would prefer a split though if anyone else in NorCal (Bay Area) wants to split.

I am interested in splitting. Oakland/SF area.

rjquillin

mike808 wrote:Use the FedEx redirect to your local kinko's of choice if you don't want it delivered to your home.

My default, just so I don't ever have to worry; except for non-WW purchases that I never know how/where will be delivered.

CT

daddax

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daddax

My Hide is chapped, I ordered this the last time and loved it now it is not available for shipping to Kansas...grrr. anyone in the KC MO area want to order an extra that I can take off your hands?

daddax

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daddax

why no shipping to Kansas this time?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:WD, did woot get the full production again this year?

i believe we did.

stutan22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stutan22

I just ordered. But is it true that you must be there to sign for your order? My friend just informed me of this.

Silly that I didn't think of it. Since it is alcohol and you don't want to be selling to those under 21.

But I live by myself and will be at work. I hope that they will allow for me to come pick it up if that is the case...

boboboy005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boboboy005
PetiteSirah wrote:Absolutely loved this, missed it last year, but got 2 bottles through a friendly wootlegger, and each has been a huge hit.

This is a unique wine that is absolutely worth the price.

Naturally, even though I'm not buying much wine these days, I had to go in for 3. I'd be willing to sell out 4 bottles or so of it to others in the NYC area who are willing to come get it.

I'd be up for two bottles if you are willing to sell two. Email: boboboy005@gmail.com. Thanks.

rjquillin

Winedavid39 wrote:i believe we did.

That being the case, guess I'll grab another now and not chance it appearing in a woot-off later. How many kids you have going to college? Can I claim any of them?

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
bsevern wrote:If you order, I'll split with you

Done.

Edit:

First Sucker: mill
Last Wooter to Woot: ajrod27

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Winedavid39 wrote:i believe we did.

Bravo. Do it again next year, please!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea
stutan22 wrote:I just ordered. But is it true that you must be there to sign for your order? My friend just informed me of this.

Silly that I didn't think of it. Since it is alcohol and you don't want to be selling to those under 21.

But I live by myself and will be at work. I hope that they will allow for me to come pick it up if that is the case...

Once you get the tracking number (or the notice on your door if you miss delivery), you can have them hold it at the local FedEx office for you to pickup.

Edit: Had to go in for one, based on all the commentary, CT reviews, and mainly for the fact that this is so different than anything else in my cellar.

mike808

spammie wrote:FedEx doesn't care who signs for it, as long as they're old enough.

Receiving all sorts of personal packages at work, including alcohol, is hardly unique, although businesses certainly would be within their rights to prohibit it.

I work for a large publicly traded multi-national company with an entire receiving department. All packages are checked (homeland security, etc.) and alcohol on premises is forbidden. If it ain't at work, then customers/executives won't see it laying around, the receiving department won't be inspecting your "contraband", and you can't be sued for having liquor around to provide a "hostile work environment".

My point is that it is not FedEx's job to figure out what each company's policies are, and so (correctly) are instructing their winery customers (the shipper is the customer to FedEx, not the recipient) to avoid the whole situation/liability entirely by shipping home delivery only.

It's an easy liability avoidance decision on FedEx's part to push that way on Woot (who is doing logistics for the wineries).

Personally, I'd be OK with delivering to my work too, but I understand and support my employer's position on the matter. It also helps to have a FedEx/Kinko's right on my way home... :-)

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

I bought two. I hope it is decent so I don't feel I over bought and I hope its not incredible as I did not get three. Such a roll of the dice. The bigger issue is my basement door won't open much because so many woot boxes of wine are falling back on the door! I suppose I can go down there and drink some while I organize.

mike808

OT: I wish wooters.us would work again. I liked their sellout estimator to give us an idea of when an item would sellout in advance of the bouncing button. I know that's part of the "mystery" of Woot's business model, but I can dream anyway, right?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
crusherwinemaker wrote:Very interesting read over at Cellar Tracker. I found it entertaining. Clearly it is a wine-savvy audience and a lot of our customers seem at a loss for words. Recurring theme is "dont know what to make of this". Which is exactly the point, right. The whole world is red-white-pink. And I am happy to break that paradigm!

Hi:

Are you the winemaker? Rep? Thanks! I would like a comment on the winemaking philosophy for the '10 and '11 versions since I noticed it is a new winemaker. Thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
kylemittskus wrote:I owe you $$ so I'll order if you want 2. You'll get all the wine plus $40. You can hand the money directly to your wife. Maybe that'll work.

Speed to first woot: 0m 24.662s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:kylemittskus (and tytger58)
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Didn't I read a last night that you were not buying any wine this month? Feel free to send your order to my place

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
rjquillin wrote:That being the case, guess I'll grab another now and not chance it appearing in a woot-off later. How many kids you have going to college? Can I claim any of them?

Good call, maybe I should order another woot (only bought 1 earlier)

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bkarlan wrote:Didn't I read a last night that you were not buying any wine this month? Feel free to send your order to my place

This was my one planned purchase. Not another bottle until March 1.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

crusherwinemaker

losthighwayz wrote:Hi:

Are you the winemaker? Rep? Thanks! I would like a comment on the winemaking philosophy for the '10 and '11 versions since I noticed it is a new winemaker. Thanks!

I am the CEO. Winemakers work (very hard) at my direction. Philosopy is consistent between the two vintages and also our winemaker transition. No different than our general philosophy on winemaking - just different raw ingredients and protocols.

We aim to make expressive wines that are unique and memorable. I hate "generic" tasting wines of all colors. We strive to maximize aromatics, bouquet, perfume, etc. even at the risk of making a controversial wine. This is a good example.

As I posted earlier, the blend is about the same but the vintage difference was noticable in the grapes and ultimately the wine. This 2011 is a bit more translucent and golden, rather than orange like the 2010. I find the aromatics to be stronger and more pronouced - and definitely more "funky" this year. In the mouth, the tastes are more consistent with the 2010. Ultimately, you will find this is a pretty different wine than 2010.

chenchr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chenchr

It's finally here. Been waiting for this since I finished my last 2010 bottle last month.

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

Shucks! I live in OH, can't ship it here. So I tried to have it shipped to my daughter's condo in Chicago...no go. Denied. Guess it is because it wasn't being shipped to me or to my billing address. Anyone know a way around this dilemma?

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
mrn1 wrote:Shucks! I live in OH, can't ship it here. So I tried to have it shipped to my daughter's condo in Chicago...no go. Denied. Guess it is because it wasn't being shipped to me or to my billing address. Anyone know a way around this dilemma?

I am also in OH and was able to ship it to New York by choosing to send it as a gift.

EDIT: IIRC you live pretty close to me so if the gift purchase doesn't work for you, I can probably spare a couple bottles but I won't have it in my possession until late April/early May.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
crusherwinemaker wrote:I am the CEO. Winemakers work (very hard) at my direction. Philosopy is consistent between the two vintages and also our winemaker transition. No different than our general philosophy on winemaking - just different raw ingredients and protocols.

We aim to make expressive wines that are unique and memorable. I hate "generic" tasting wines of all colors. We strive to maximize aromatics, bouquet, perfume, etc. even at the risk of making a controversial wine. This is a good example.

As I posted earlier, the blend is about the same but the vintage difference was noticable in the grapes and ultimately the wine. This 2011 is a bit more translucent and golden, rather than orange like the 2010. I find the aromatics to be stronger and more pronouced - and definitely more "funky" this year. In the mouth, the tastes are more consistent with the 2010. Ultimately, you will find this is a pretty different wine than 2010.

Thank you! Now the hard part begins: convincing my wife we need to get this wine.

"The older I get the better I was"

maoien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maoien

With this much excitement over orange wine, I had to give it a try. It might go well with Cuban food. A local Cuban restaurant let's us bring in our own wine without a cork fee.