North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
flaura22 wrote:I believe it has something to do with the size of the winery and number of bottles sold per year for the Ohio legislation. If the winery sells over "x" number of bottles, they may not ship to Ohio. I could be completely wrong, but for some reason I recall something to that effect from when I lived in Ohio.

Production over 500,000 gallons = no Ohio.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

I have also been waiting over a year for this wine. Thank you woot! It is going to be a good day. In for two.

I will be reading the comments all day looking for when it sells out. If this is anything like the last year I am going to be sad I didn't get 3. I don't even know where I am going to store 2..... Good problems to have I guess.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis

Hesitated on this last year and regretfully missed out. This time I'm getting in early, despite the price increase.

Zathros409

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zathros409

I got the 2010 Crusher and really was quite pleased. I am more of a red drinker but enjoy white as well and the wife enjoys whites more but we both liked this wine. The red skins really provide a slight red mouthfeel from a nice dry white wine, not fruity or orangy. Went well with bbq on several occasions.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

After a number of recent disappointments of NH not being on the shipping list of wineries that it was on last year, I'm thrilled that this came up and that NH was on the list. This also means I don't have to be sad about consuming the 2 bottles I have left from the last offering.

While my wine experience isn't nearly as diverse as a number of regulars here, I still think it says something that this has proven to be one of the most unique wines I've had. I can't wait to see how this vintage compares to the previous offering.

bdigest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdigest

Ohio: It's very, very rare that Ohio is left off the list.

And we were there for the last Crusher. Quite disappointing.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

Anyone know if the specs were the same last year? Percentage of varietals? Also, I heard the number of cases was increased dramatically. I am afraid this may alter the quality of the product. Winery?

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
mschauber wrote:I've found we have similar tastes, so even though I am SOOOOOOO overstocked, I'm going to get an order of this. I'm not a fan of PN The Crusher, so I hope the Orange is more to my liking..

Not PN the Crusher, which was just ok, and haven't tried PS the Crusher yet. This one ~is~ a bit different. Hope it drinks similar to the 2010 CT notes that are pretty spot on.

CT

sealag

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sealag

Removed by OG poster.

All who wander are not lost.

North316

losthighwayz wrote:Anyone know if the specs were the same last year? Percentage of varietals? Also, I heard the number of cases was increased dramatically. I am afraid this may alter the quality of the product. Winery?

The Crusher 2010 Wilson Vineyard Big Orange White Wine Blend, Clarksburg

•Varietal: White Wine Blend - 60% Chardonnay, 40% Viognier
•Appellation: Wilson Vineyards, Clarksburg
•Vintage: 2010
•Winemaker Michelle McClendon
•Alcohol: 14.8%
•pH: 3.70
•TA: 0.58 g/100 mL

•Varietal: White Wine Blend, 55% Chardonnay, 45% Viognier
•Winemaker: Gloria Mercado Martin
•Alcohol: 13.6%
•pH: 3.76
•TA: 6.2 g/L

Blend and stats are pretty similar. Different winemaker and I'm not sure what the production numbers were. I'm 2010's are buried in that discussion thread somewhere, but I wasn't going to dig them up.

My CT

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

In for two based on past comments and a year of begging by wooters for this to return. This should look great on my rack next to the Pink Zeppelin!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

North316

sealag wrote:Anyone else notice the use of Fuzzy Math: The discount from the 'regular price' factors in shipping and tax on the orginal price but not in the WOOT! price.

Slightly deceptive and manipulative.

This has been discussed to no end. While I still disagree with how it is presented, all of the facts are there for one to make their own inference/decision. They are taking the winery price, plus tax, less the $5 woot shipping (thus factoring in both winery shipping and woot shipping). Woot does not add additional tax onto these sales, as it is built into the sale price (I think there may be a separate tax for Texas, but that's what you get for wanting to be your own country).

My CT

brouneyed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brouneyed

Excellent! Last time this was up on woot, I let it sell out while I waffled on whether or not to buy.

I've been waiting over a year for my second chance.

yorknh

losthighwayz wrote:Also, I heard the number of cases was increased dramatically. I am afraid this may alter the quality of the product. Winery?

Based on the comment from the last offering I was left with the impression that last year was an experiment, one that clearly succeeded. Hopefully the increase in production was the winery taking fuller advantage grapes that fill the bill, and not a result of "forcing" the issue.

Bione

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Bione
Souka wrote:This really reminds me of Essensia wine. Which can be bought in many stores for much less.

Not saying it's better or worse, just for those seeking a decent orange flavored wine.

Here is more info on Essensia
http://www.quadywinery.com/essensia.html

Having tasted both of these wines, I couldn't disagree more. Essensia is a rather good dessert wine with floral and citrus notes. The Crusher is an extremely unusual semi-dry wine that comes off like a fruity white with a dry finish that hits the back of the throat almost like it's a red wine. It is definitely not a dessert wine.

It's also hard to track down in brick and mortar shops, so if you think a white wine with new world red characteristics is your thing, I'd buy it now.

Incidentally, I found my first bottle a little disappointing, but each subsequent bottle (sampled every few months) was better. I would say that, contrary to expectations, The Crusher has some aging potential.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

I'm in for two... one set for me and one for a friend. Happy to see it didn't sellout at lightning speed like last time around.
Cheers!

melrod333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melrod333

I am intrigued but also bursting at the seams with recent purchases. Anyone in Southern NH interested in a split?

sealag

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sealag
melrod333 wrote:I am intrigued but also bursting at the seams with recent purchases. Anyone in Southern NH interested in a split?

I'm in the Lakes region - I would go in on halvsies. let me know.

All who wander are not lost.

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

This seems like an interesting Woot offering. I am on the fence on this one. Seems like lots of you fellow Wooters have been waiting for this one to pop up, which is making me think seriously about this one.

-Ryan

http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
sshapiro216 wrote:Would anybody in the Twin Cities be willing to split? I really only want one bottle (but I could take two if you want to split down the middle). Feel free to send me a PM!

PM for you.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

rjquillin

North316 wrote:The Crusher 2010 Wilson Vineyard Big Orange White Wine Blend, Clarksburg

•Varietal: White Wine Blend - 60% Chardonnay, 40% Viognier
•Vintage: 2010
•Winemaker Michelle McClendon
•Alcohol: 14.8%
•pH: 3.70
•TA: 0.58 g/100 mL

•Varietal: White Wine Blend, 55% Chardonnay, 45% Viognier
•Winemaker: Gloria Mercado Martin
•Alcohol: 13.6%
•pH: 3.76
•TA: 6.2 g/L

Blend and stats are pretty similar. Different winemaker and I'm not sure what the production numbers were. I'm 2010's are buried in that discussion thread somewhere, but I wasn't going to dig them up.

From the voicemail the production on this years' lot was a bit less than 2010. I like that the TA is a bit higher, should be interesting if it's perceptible; so many variables.

CT

rjquillin

yorknh wrote:Based on the comment from the last offering I was left with the impression that last year was an experiment, one that clearly succeeded. Hopefully the increase in production was the winery taking fuller advantage grapes that fill the bill, and not a result of "forcing" the issue.

Production:
2010 - 170 cases
2011 - 165 cases

CT

eajohnst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eajohnst

Is it safe to assume that this wine would be best served chilled?

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03
eajohnst wrote:Is it safe to assume that this wine would be best served chilled?

I actually had the best experience with this closer to room temp. (the 2010, haven't had any of the new stuff). It really expresses its complexity at warmer temps IMO.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

yorknh

rjquillin wrote:Production:
2010 - 170 cases
2011 - 165 cases

Hmm, that would seem to indicate that they stuck to being selective about the grapes designated for this use. That would also indicate that this offering might not last much longer. Finally, it is a clear indication that I don't listen to the vintner voicemails.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:If you want to reduce the risk, I'll take a bottle or two. Stupid SIWBM.

I'm not sure how this works but buying 6 or 8 bottles over the last week and a half does not qualify you to be in a SIWBM! I think it would be easier for you to just say....my name is ____ and I have a wine buying problem

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

yorknh

jcarlton03 wrote:I actually had the best experience with this closer to room temp. (the 2010, haven't had any of the new stuff). It really expresses its complexity at warmer temps IMO.

Yeah, I agree. A touch cooler than I like my reds, but nowhere near as cool as I like SB.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
tytiger58 wrote:I'm not sure how this works but buying 6 or 8 bottles over the last week and a half does not qualify you to be in a SIWBM! I think it would be easier for you to just say....my name is ____ and I have a wine buying problem

Maybe he's been in a SIWBR - self-imposed wine buying reduction. Of course, then we get into the matter of what is a reasonable baseline.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

jackiecanev2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jackiecanev2

In for 3, even if I have to drive to the next state to pick it up the day it arrives. True story.

I went halvsies with a friend last year because it "looked interesting" - yeah. Huge regret not getting in on more, and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:I'm not sure how this works but buying 6 or 8 bottles over the last week and a half does not qualify you to be in a SIWBM! I think it would be easier for you to just say....my name is ____ and I have a wine buying problem

Want to split an order?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Want to split an order?

As long as the credit card has your name on it, you know with the note that was affixed to my keyboard after berserker day although I am not yet convinced with this wine despite all the hype.

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:As long as the credit card has your name on it, you know with the note that was affixed to my keyboard after berserker day although I am not yet convinced with this wine despite all the hype.

I owe you $$ so I'll order if you want 2. You'll get all the wine plus $40. You can hand the money directly to your wife. Maybe that'll work.

Speed to first woot: 0m 24.662s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:kylemittskus (and tytger58)
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Last time there was like 6 pages of comments of people wanting to try it, now not to many reviews about how good or bad it was!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Less a buying than a drinking problem...I'm not drinking it quickly enough! I'm trying to at least not increase my overall bottle count, but excellent deals on things that either I love or really want to try are making it hard.

So yeah, I'll be fine without any of this, but I do want to try it. Hence offering to take a bottle off somebody's hands. It'd be easier if WD just shipped a case to one of us SoCal people and we sorted it out later

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:I owe you $$ so I'll order if you want 2. You'll get all the wine plus $40. You can hand the money directly to your wife. Maybe that'll work.

Speed to first woot: 0m 24.662s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:kylemittskus (and tytger58)
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

You da man!

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Want to split an order?

Ha! enabler<->enablee

CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Less a buying than a drinking problem...I'm not drinking it quickly enough! I'm trying to at least not increase my overall bottle count, but excellent deals on things that either I love or really want to try are making it hard.

So yeah, I'll be fine without any of this, but I do want to try it. Hence offering to take a bottle off somebody's hands. It'd be easier if WD just shipped a case to one of us SoCal people and we sorted it out later

You can rationalize it any way you want

And completely agree with point 2

norriscr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norriscr

Sad Ohioan here. Loved this the last time I ordered. This time my heart has been crushed by The Crusher.

kylemittskus

luisifer777 wrote:Last time there was like 6 pages of comments of people wanting to try it, now not to many reviews about how good or bad it was!

Tons of notes on CT from familiar names.

svwindom

quality posts: 9 Private Messages svwindom
luisifer777 wrote:Last time there was like 6 pages of comments of people wanting to try it, now not to many reviews about how good or bad it was!

Actually, page 6 from last time is full of reviews! (I know, because I took a look...and then I pulled the trigger.)

The consensus seems to be delightful, spicy, drink cool but not refrigerated, and flavors open up after 30 minutes or so - to treat it more like a red than a white.

I shall find out for myself when mine is delivered!