WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Calstar Cellars

You don't have to be a Calstar, baby, to be in my show. Oh, wait, yes you do, this show's all ABOUT Calstars! All of you wannabe's find some other sale to hang out in. Calstar's only in here! Really, clear out. Don't make us call security.
Calstar Cellars official site

Quality Posts

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

Oh man, this is back! I'd be in for both the Zin and Pinot if I wasn't on SIWBM. Both are great juice and these are reasonable prices.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Calstar Cellars

Calstar El Dorado Country 2008 Zinfandel 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $119.55) 46% off List Price
2008 Alta Zin, El Dorado County

Calstar Cellars Anderson Valley Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $114.20) 47% off List Price
2007 Pinot Noir, Londer Estates, Anderson Valley

Calstar Cellars Sonoma Coast Chardonnay 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $102.70) 42% off List Price
2009 Calstar Cellars Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast

Calstar Cellars Sangiacomo Vineyard Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast 3-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $122.55) 47% off List Price
2009 Chardonnay, Sangiacomo Vineyards

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

Hey.
Where's the sauvignon blanc ? No fair.
That's my fav Calstar. The 2010 was yummy. Rick said the 2011 was just as lovely.
Please bring me the SB !!!!!

On a happier note --
I did order the Zin. last time. Popping it open for my BD this week. It promises to be grand with the flavor bright with a long smooth finish...... just like my age ?? lol

Winemaker's notes

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I can't speak for this label, but I have had some wonderful Pinot Noir from the Londer Estate under Londer's label. $30/btl is likely a good deal.

calstarcellars

quality posts: 15 Private Messages calstarcellars

Well you could go to my website for the '11 SB

Bet what you really want to now is what about theses wines.

The Zin you've already heard about, raspberry heading to blackberry fruit and moderate tannins balancing good acidity nice finish. Great pairing with pizza , through pasta, to grilled pork or beef.

The Pinot is dusty cherry heading to cherry fruit, nicely oaked pleasant tannins and good acidity. Pairs well with grilled tuna, lamb and roast chicken.

Sonoma Coast CH is my homage to CA CH, baked apple fruit with sweet oak and full mouthfeel. Good pairing with roast chicken, scallops.

Sangiacomo CH fresh apple fruit with balanced oaking and great acidity. Pairs well with salmon, crab, roast chicken and roast pork.

calstarcellars

SmilingBoognish wrote:I can't speak for this label, but I have had some wonderful Pinot Noir from the Londer Estate under Londer's label. $30/btl is likely a good deal.

Smiling I was the Londer winemaker from 2004-2010 vintage and got to pick my lots for the blend bottled under Calstar label.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Welcome Rick from Calstar! I'm a fan of Rick's wines.. especially the Londer Pinot and the Sangiacomo Chard...!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
calstarcellars wrote:Smiling I was the Londer winemaker from 2004-2010 vintage and got to pick my lots for the blend bottled under Calstar label.

Very nice work - I've enjoyed many Londer wines that you have made!
Do you think these 07 Pinot's should be enjoyed this summer, or will they last for another couple of years?

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
calstarcellars wrote:Well you could go to my website for the '11 SB

Bet what you really want to now is what about theses wines.

The Zin you've already heard about, raspberry heading to blackberry fruit and moderate tannins balancing good acidity nice finish. Great pairing with pizza , through pasta, to grilled pork or beef.

The Pinot is dusty cherry heading to cherry fruit, nicely oaked pleasant tannins and good acidity. Pairs well with grilled tuna, lamb and roast chicken.

Sonoma Coast CH is my homage to CA CH, baked apple fruit with sweet oak and full mouthfeel. Good pairing with roast chicken, scallops.

Sangiacomo CH fresh apple fruit with balanced oaking and great acidity. Pairs well with salmon, crab, roast chicken and roast pork.

Welcome Rick! I enjoyed meeting you at w.w. HQ in October. I also remember enjoying these wines among my favourites of the evening.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
calstarcellars wrote:Smiling I was the Londer winemaker from 2004-2010 vintage and got to pick my lots for the blend bottled under Calstar label.

Hey Rick!
It was a pleasure running into you at ZAP! I can attest that the Alta Zin is a great wine. My dad and I really enjoyed it.
Special thanks to Neil for the tickets to ZAP!
-Neal

Neal K Bharadwaj

calstarcellars

SmilingBoognish wrote:Very nice work - I've enjoyed many Londer wines that you have made!
Do you think these 07 Pinot's should be enjoyed this summer, or will they last for another couple of years?

Thank you, I think the PN's will hold for a couple of years at least. Still finding the '05s to be in good shape.

calstarcellars

klezman wrote:Welcome Rick! I enjoyed meeting you at w.w. HQ in October. I also remember enjoying these wines among my favourites of the evening.

Thank you enjoyed the evening myself.

calstarcellars

No white wine or PN drinking out there? Seriously you should try all the above.

calstarcellars

The Sonoma Coast was a Double Gold Medal winner at 2011 Sonoma County Harvest Fair.

nealkb

calstarcellars wrote:The Sonoma Coast was a Double Gold Medal winner at 2011 Sonoma County Harvest Fair.

I wish there was a mixed pack

Neal K Bharadwaj

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

nealkb wrote:I wish there was a mixed pack

noted for the future...

calstarcellars

speak to wine woot.

calstarcellars

neal, what style CH do you like?

nealkb

calstarcellars wrote:neal, what style CH do you like?

I honestly like both, but I prefer the buttery oaky chs.

Neal K Bharadwaj

calstarcellars

nealkb wrote:I honestly like both, but I prefer the buttery oaky chs.

Sonoma Coast CH would be more to your liking then.

calstarcellars

Ok just to be clear here, while I personally like the Sangiacomo CH better than the Sonoma Coast, they are both nice wines and plenty of people like the Sonoma Coast better.

calstarcellars

If you like the Tandem or LaFollette CHs my Sangiacomo, is from fruit off the opposite end of the block he gets CH out of and we pick at the same time.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

I love the Sangiacomo (storied Sonoma vineyard) chard-it was well-received at our Hallo-woot tasting. That said, I can go either way on Chards- buttery/California or more Burgundian- depending on the food, the friends I'm with and the producer. I guess that makes me bi-chardonal. (Rimshot)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm going to regret not getting the chard and the PN. I promised SWMBO, though. No wine in February except for the orange wine. March can't come fast enough.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2009 Calstar Cellars Sangiacomo Vineyard Chardonnay

"High acidity, would go great with seafood! Loquat, fuji apple, pineapple and minimal oak"

2008 Calstar Cellars Zin

"Old world style zin. Excellent."

These are my notes from the Hallowoot tasting! Better late than never right? And just as a disclaimer, I haven't eaten a loquat in years, but that's what immediately popped into my head at first impression of the Sangiacomo chardonnay. The zin notes are lacking, I know....

calstarcellars

Cellar tracker review of 2009 Sonoma Coast CH Color is crystal light gold, it almost shines. Nose (I get at least), pear, lemon and a hint of grass. The mouth is medium full, sweet citrus flavors, oak showing as vanilla, creamy, not thick or oily on the finish.